Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A Few ACC-Related Blurbs and Facts
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
A Few ACC-Related Blurbs and Facts
Twenty-two programs won a national title between 1980 and 2002. Of those 22 programs, Miami is one of three without a 10-win season during the last decade: Miami, Colorado and Washington.

But back in the 80s, yo.

----------------

One ACC coach I spoke to Monday said he was blown away by what he saw from the Noles last year and suspects that about half the league's teams do not have one player who would start for Florida State right now based on what he sees on film. He also doubted whether many of the players the schools brought with them to Greensboro would be good enough to start for the Noles this year. "That team is ridiculously talented," the coach said.

Guess it's not just FSU fans that say we run the conference. Your own coach says it, too. And that's just insulting (to you) that a bunch of ACC Media Day players aren't even good enough to start at FSU.

----------------

"You're not trying to be malice (sic) when you walk out beside a sheriff carrying the crab legs in your hand. You're not trying to hide it. There was no malice in what he did. It was an immature mistake, 'cause he walks two doors down and pays for the wings. See, people didn't know that. He made a mistake but it wasn't like he was trying to steal something. That's part of growing up. He got his suspension in baseball, which is very critical to him. And we move on. He'll educate himself. He'll learn from that, but Jameis is a tremendous human being. He is a great people person. There is no ill will or malice in his body. There's really not.

First I'd heard of this wings purchase next door. Changes the discussion imo. Though I don't expect any of you to agree, nor does it matter to me if you do.

----------------

Media’s All-ACC preseason selections by school: FSU 9; Duke 4; Clemson & VT 3 each; Miami 2; BC, UL, UNC, SU, UVa 1 each

Posted without comment.

-----------------

Was looking at FSU-Syr box score for some research: Noles scored 59 pts & had the ball for just 18:18. That’s 1 pt/18.6 sec. That’s absurd!

Vroom vroom.
07-23-2014 10:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
RE: A Few ACC-Related Blurbs and Facts
If someone figures out the point of this thread, please let me know.

PS- thanks for the crucial update on the "free" seafood.
07-23-2014 11:52 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

Somebody in a bad mood. Poor fing.
07-24-2014 12:03 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/A...meis-12862
The odds and ends from Tigernet's David Hood
Quote:Jameis Winston

As expected, the defending Heisman Trophy winner drew the biggest crowd of the session and surpassed the number of media that gathered around Jimbo Fisher, his head coach at Florida St. The bad part about all of that was that he shared a table with defensive back P.J. Williams and I don’t think Williams answered more than a few questions during the hour-long session. Meanwhile, a member of the Florida St. sports information department stood nearby, cringing and looking like he was about to have a stroke every time Winston opened his mouth.

Quote:Speaking of Chick-fil-A, I am hearing that the Kickoff Classic is VERY interested in pairing Clemson against an SEC team to open the 2016 season. Clemson has two out of conference games on the schedule for 2-16 – Troy on Sept. 10th and South Carolina at the end of the season. Both of those games are at home, but I also heard that Clemson might not be interested in playing a neutral site game that season. I am going to try and catch up with Assistant AD Kyle Young this week and see what he has to say.

Quote:Scott Shafer

I almost felt sorry for the Syracuse head coach. Dabo Swinney had the usual 30-plus writers surrounding him during his session, and Jimbo Fisher probably had double that amount. Paul Johnson – who couldn’t stay away from Swinney’s table during the Sunday night supper – had around 10 at his table, a far cry from the throngs that surrounded him a few years ago. Shafer, however, had three very young writers sitting in front of him. That’s right, a whopping total of three. When I went over to ask him about his relationship with Swinney, he acted like he was happy for the intrusion. For the record, a nice guy and seems to give some honest answers, unlike some of the others who engage in coach speak from the moment they arrive.

Quote:Best (and by best I mean dumb) Questions

The first one - some writer for Georgia leaned in to Vic Sunday and asked, "How much do you remember about those great Clemson-Georgia games of the 1980's?" Vic, who wasn't born until 1992, smiled and said, "Not much."

Then a beat writer for UNC (has to be a basketball guy) came over to Beasley and asked, "North Carolina visits Death Valley this season, and they run an up-tempo offense. How much of a problem do you think this will be and how do you think Clemson's defense will handle it since you aren't very familiar with it?" Again, Vic looked over and said, "I think we'll be alright."
07-24-2014 12:04 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I would expect nothing less from a Clemson fan than that stroke comment. The ACC refused to give Winston his own session, thereby forcing Williams to be an afterthought. FSU (fans) knew it was going to happen and it did. ACC don't care.

As obviously dumb as that UGA question is, there's no doubt that that UNC question is far dumber, and far more arrogant. One of the nation's supposed-to-be best defenses being afraid of the historically mediocre UNC program's offense?

I'm not sure Shafer is a good HC. I like how he gives real answers and opinions on many of these topics. I couldn't care less what most coaches have to say because it's all sh*t, stuff like "If we played 10 more times we'd win 5" crap. Lamarcus Joyner is still saying, "Good luck with that, Clemson."

Hmm, Peach Bowl trying to get Clemson vs SEC in 2016? Guess they quit trying to get FSU vs SEC. SEC (or at least UGA) had no interest in that game. Can't imagine why.
07-24-2014 08:12 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

http://touch.dailypress.com/#section/-1/...-80879822/

Quote:Swofford confirmed that the disparity in the ACC’s $27.5 Orange Bowl payout and the $40 million the other power five conferences receive from their respective contract bowls is due to opponent. While the Sugar (SEC vs. Big 12) and Rose (Pacific 12 vs. Big Ten) have league champions on both sides of their game, the Orange has the ACC against the highest-ranked available non-champion from the SEC or Big Ten, or Notre Dame.

“That’s the distinct difference in those three bowls,” Swofford said, “and yet our payout from the Orange Bowl is going to be more than we received from the BCS. So it’s a terrific deal for us.”

While the Sugar and Rose payouts are 45 percent larger than the Orange, the $12.5 million disparity calculates to a modest $892,000 for each of the ACC’s 14 football members.

However, when the ACC plays Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl, the Fighting Irish receive "only" $13.75 million, leaving the ACC $41.25 million of the game's $55 million combined payout.
07-24-2014 10:04 AM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(07-24-2014 10:04 AM)Dasville Wrote:  http://touch.dailypress.com/#section/-1/...-80879822/

Quote:Swofford confirmed that the disparity in the ACC’s $27.5 Orange Bowl payout and the $40 million the other power five conferences receive from their respective contract bowls is due to opponent. While the Sugar (SEC vs. Big 12) and Rose (Pacific 12 vs. Big Ten) have league champions on both sides of their game, the Orange has the ACC against the highest-ranked available non-champion from the SEC or Big Ten, or Notre Dame.

“That’s the distinct difference in those three bowls,” Swofford said, “and yet our payout from the Orange Bowl is going to be more than we received from the BCS. So it’s a terrific deal for us.”

While the Sugar and Rose payouts are 45 percent larger than the Orange, the $12.5 million disparity calculates to a modest $892,000 for each of the ACC’s 14 football members.

However, when the ACC plays Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl, the Fighting Irish receive "only" $13.75 million, leaving the ACC $41.25 million of the game's $55 million combined payout.

Nice find Dasville. Thanks for sharing. Its good to be clear as to why the Orange payout is lower as compared to the other major conferences bowls.
07-24-2014 11:02 AM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-24-2014 12:03 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  Somebody in a bad mood. Poor fing.

Sorry not everyone is as excited as you are about "stroke FSU" threads. Thankfully we've gotten some solid info later in the thread from others about different perspectives and conference wide info.
07-24-2014 12:36 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-24-2014 11:02 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 10:04 AM)Dasville Wrote:  http://touch.dailypress.com/#section/-1/...-80879822/

Nice find Dasville. Thanks for sharing. Its good to be clear as to why the Orange payout is lower as compared to the other major conferences bowls.

I have no problem with the Orange Bowl paying less for the reason given here. What I DO have a problem with is the ACC paying the SEC or B1G #2 team the same amount as ACC #1. IMO the A)CC team should get more - ideally take $40M (to match the other P5 champs) and pay the visitor whatever's left ($15M). No reason the "best available" SEC or B1G team should get any more than Notre Dame... JMO.
07-24-2014 01:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(07-24-2014 01:02 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 11:02 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  

I have no problem with the Orange Bowl paying less for the reason given here. What I DO have a problem with is the ACC paying the SEC or B1G #2 team the same amount as ACC #1. IMO the A)CC team should get more - ideally take $40M (to match the other P5 champs) and pay the visitor whatever's left ($15M). No reason the "best available" SEC or B1G team should get any more than Notre Dame... JMO.

+1
07-24-2014 01:59 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I have no idea, but is it possible we could have made $40 million and took "whoever" or do the deal we did and take less money to ensure our opponents? Did we "buy" the SEC/B1G #2?
07-24-2014 02:13 PM
Advertisement

nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
"I have no problem with the Orange Bowl paying less for the reason given here. What I DO have a problem with is the ACC paying the SEC or B1G #2 team the same amount as ACC #1. IMO the A)CC team should get more - ideally take $40M (to match the other P5 champs) and pay the visitor whatever's left ($15M). No reason the "best available" SEC or B1G team should get any more than Notre Dame... JMO."

So the SEC and B1g could make $40 Million plus $27 in the years their #2 plays in Orange......VS ACC just getting $27 mIllion?

Either way, Swofford trying to sell $27 million vs $40 million as anything other than a fail is crazy.

He was asleep at the wheel and again ACC sees future revenue issues. Of course, if 10-12 of your teams don't invest in football at a Power 5 level....they don't really care.
07-24-2014 03:21 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-24-2014 02:13 PM)Dasville Wrote:  I have no idea, but is it possible we could have made $40 million and took "whoever" or do the deal we did and take less money to ensure our opponents? Did we "buy" the SEC/B1G #2?

Good question. Did the league decide to scale back the possible per team payout to guarantee a better opponent?
07-24-2014 03:28 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(07-24-2014 03:28 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 02:13 PM)Dasville Wrote:  I have no idea, but is it possible we could have made $40 million and took "whoever" or do the deal we did and take less money to ensure our opponents? Did we "buy" the SEC/B1G #2?

Good question. Did the league decide to scale back the possible per team payout to guarantee a better opponent?

We've been in the conference for only a few days but it sounds ACC.
I like it!04-cheers
07-24-2014 03:45 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(07-24-2014 03:21 PM)nole Wrote:  "I have no problem with the Orange Bowl paying less for the reason given here. What I DO have a problem with is the ACC paying the SEC or B1G #2 team the same amount as ACC #1. IMO the A)CC team should get more - ideally take $40M (to match the other P5 champs) and pay the visitor whatever's left ($15M). No reason the "best available" SEC or B1G team should get any more than Notre Dame... JMO."

So the SEC and B1g could make $40 Million plus $27 in the years their #2 plays in Orange......VS ACC just getting $27 mIllion?

Either way, Swofford trying to sell $27 million vs $40 million as anything other than a fail is crazy.

He was asleep at the wheel and again ACC sees future revenue issues. Of course, if 10-12 of your teams don't invest in football at a Power 5 level....they don't really care.

You are nuts. Look who the Orange Bowl had to take over the past decade from the ACC - traveling heavyweights such as WF and GT, they almost got BC twice. Three of the ACC's top travelers can't even get it together to sniff the OB. The value of the OB is related to the risk of having teams that will not sell out the bowl, moreover in the last several years one of our best travelers, VT, began to show bowl fatigue. And yes the B10 and SEC are in a position to demand good money for their 2nd or 3rd team - a damn sight more than the AAC champ.
07-24-2014 04:04 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(07-24-2014 04:04 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 03:21 PM)nole Wrote:  "I have no problem with the Orange Bowl paying less for the reason given here. What I DO have a problem with is the ACC paying the SEC or B1G #2 team the same amount as ACC #1. IMO the A)CC team should get more - ideally take $40M (to match the other P5 champs) and pay the visitor whatever's left ($15M). No reason the "best available" SEC or B1G team should get any more than Notre Dame... JMO."

You are nuts. Look who the Orange Bowl had to take over the past decade from the ACC - traveling heavyweights such as WF and GT, they almost got BC twice. Three of the ACC's top travelers can't even get it together to sniff the OB. The value of the OB is related to the risk of having teams that will not sell out the bowl, moreover in the last several years one of our best travelers, VT, began to show bowl fatigue. And yes the B10 and SEC are in a position to demand good money for their 2nd or 3rd team - a damn sight more than the AAC champ.

You calling Swofford a lier?
07-24-2014 04:57 PM
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

Bottom line is that Swofford said it was about opponent regarding Orange Bowl payout and he is the one who negotiated the deal.
07-24-2014 05:23 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

Out of the last twelve times the ACC has had a representative in the Orange Bowl it has had one of the three best traveling teams (Clemson, FSU or VT) eight times.
07-24-2014 05:28 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-24-2014 05:28 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 04:04 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  You are nuts. Look who the Orange Bowl had to take over the past decade from the ACC - traveling heavyweights such as WF and GT, they almost got BC twice. Three of the ACC's top travelers can't even get it together to sniff the OB. The value of the OB is related to the risk of having teams that will not sell out the bowl, moreover in the last several years one of our best travelers, VT, began to show bowl fatigue. And yes the B10 and SEC are in a position to demand good money for their 2nd or 3rd team - a damn sight more than the AAC champ.

Out of the last twelve times the ACC has had a representative in the Orange Bowl it has had one of the three best traveling teams (Clemson, FSU or VT) eight times.

Yeah, I don't think it's been the ACC representative that has been the problem in recent years. Consider the opponents:

2006 #3 Penn State 26 #22 Florida St 23
2007 #6 Louisville 24 #14 Wake Forest 13
2008 #8 Kansas 24 #3 Va Tech 21
2009 #19 Va Tech 20 #12 Cincinnati 7
2010 #10 Iowa 24 #9 Georgia Tech 14
2011 #4 Stanford 40 #13 Va Tech 12
2012 #23 W Virginia 70 #15 Clemson 33
2013 #12 Florida St 31 #15 N Illinois 10
2014 #12 Clemson 40 #7 Ohio State 35

Basically only 3 years when BOTH teams travel well.
(3.5 if you give Ga Tech partial credit)
07-24-2014 06:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(07-24-2014 06:04 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 05:28 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 04:04 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  You are nuts. Look who the Orange Bowl had to take over the past decade from the ACC - traveling heavyweights such as WF and GT, they almost got BC twice. Three of the ACC's top travelers can't even get it together to sniff the OB. The value of the OB is related to the risk of having teams that will not sell out the bowl, moreover in the last several years one of our best travelers, VT, began to show bowl fatigue. And yes the B10 and SEC are in a position to demand good money for their 2nd or 3rd team - a damn sight more than the AAC champ.

Yeah, I don't think it's been the ACC representative that has been the problem in recent years. Consider the opponents:

2006 #3 Penn State 26 #22 Florida St 23
2007 #6 Louisville 24 #14 Wake Forest 13
2008 #8 Kansas 24 #3 Va Tech 21
2009 #19 Va Tech 20 #12 Cincinnati 7
2010 #10 Iowa 24 #9 Georgia Tech 14
2011 #4 Stanford 40 #13 Va Tech 12
2012 #23 W Virginia 70 #15 Clemson 33
2013 #12 Florida St 31 #15 N Illinois 10
2014 #12 Clemson 40 #7 Ohio State 35

Basically only 3 years when BOTH teams travel well.
(3.5 if you give Ga Tech partial credit)

Attendance, while nice, means little except to the venue. Look at the games you posted. No wonder we paid money to buy our opponent. Helps the venue and the cause. Orange Bowl should be thankful for the ACC agreement.
07-24-2014 06:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.