Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Church worker fired for being gay sues diocese
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
She must have known Catholics don't allow gay marriage, how could she not have? And she did it anyway. She made a choice, the church acted on it and now the only thing that will make her whole again is money.

Quote:20 July 2014 | By Ashlee Kelly

Colleen Simon, who worked in the food pantry and helped the homeless, was sacked after marrying a woman.

A woman who was fired by a Catholic food pantry in Kansas City, Missouri, for being gay is taking the diocese and its bishop to court.

Colleen Simon, a former director of a ministry that feeds homeless people, claims her bosses were aware of her sexuality when she was hired, saying it was no problem. However, she was fired in May, shortly after a local news article mentioned her marriage to a woman.

Simon, who is seeking to be reinstated as a director and wishes to receive unpaid wages, fringe benefits and compensation for emotional distress, issued a statement on Friday (18 July), saying: ‘I file this lawsuit today with reluctance, and after exhausting all attempts at reasons.

‘While I feel betrayed by the unjust action of the diocese, it is still my greatest desire to return to my position and to serve the parishioners and those at the margins in the surrounding society.’

In response, the diocese have vowed to fight the case, saying: ‘As needed, we will defend our constitutional freedom to practice our faith and uphold the integrity of our mission and public witness.’

The lawsuit follows the announcement that President Barack Obama will be signing an LGBT-inclusive anti-discrimination executive order on Monday.

The order, which protects LGBT workers from discrimination from federal contractors, is unlikely to provide any religious exemption.
-
http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/churc...cese200714
07-23-2014 07:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Church worker fired for being gay sues diocese
The gaystapo, gay mafia, or al Gayda don't want any organized teaching against their manifesto allowed. We already know they consider the America Family Association a hate group, soon the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention, anyone else that dare speak against them.
07-23-2014 07:56 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(07-23-2014 07:56 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  The gaystapo, gay mafia, or al Gayda don't want any organized teaching against their manifesto allowed. We already know they consider the America Family Association a hate group, soon the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention, anyone else that dare speak against them.

Even Tony Dungy, a black man, isn't safe:

Esteemed NFL coach turned NBC analyst Tony Dungy is taking fire for saying he would not have drafted Michael Sam, the league’s first openly gay player.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/...story.html

Why do gays hate black men!
07-23-2014 08:02 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-23-2014 08:02 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  
(07-23-2014 07:56 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  The gaystapo, gay mafia, or al Gayda don't want any organized teaching against their manifesto allowed. We already know they consider the America Family Association a hate group, soon the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention, anyone else that dare speak against them.

Esteemed NFL coach turned NBC analyst Tony Dungy is taking fire for saying he would not have drafted Michael Sam, the league’s first openly gay player.

So Tony Dungy a highly successful Super Bowl coach catches heat for saying he wouldn't take an inferior talent just to draft a gay. Basically Dungy said Sam's talent didn't outweigh the media circus that will follow him. Gay Mafia will have his job soon enough.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2014 08:07 PM by THE NC Herd Fan.)
07-23-2014 08:05 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
You people are completely, certifiably insane. There's no way to have reasonable discussions or conversations with you. You actually think people should be fired for being gay. Did it affect her work? Was she performing the job adequately? Those are the things that should matter.
07-23-2014 08:14 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(07-23-2014 08:14 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  You people are completely, certifiably insane. There's no way to have reasonable discussions or conversations with you. You actually think people should be fired for being gay. Did it affect her work? Was she performing the job adequately? Those are the things that should matter.

04-bow
07-23-2014 08:16 PM
Advertisement

THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-23-2014 08:14 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  You people are completely, certifiably insane. There's no way to have reasonable discussions or conversations with you. You actually think people should be fired for being gay. Did it affect her work? Was she performing the job adequately? Those are the things that should matter.

[Image: h9C18D818]
07-23-2014 08:20 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

Where were you when Maria Conchita Alonso was fired for being a republican? Link I'm sure you were all over it. In fact, we had a thread here about it.

Where were you when Condoleezza Rice essentially got fired from speaking at Rutgers? How many other conservative people got fired from speaking engagements just for being republicans and you said nothing?

I know, I know, you're going to pull the double standard and say that's not the same as being fired for being gay. When this woman was hired she admits the church knew she was gay so her sexuality didn't come into play did it? It was actions deemed immoral by the church that came into play. You can't defend this other than using your tongue twisting double talk.
07-23-2014 09:57 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
She was married before she started work there. She explained during her job interview that she was married to a woman. They hired her anyway. She didn't get fired until an article was published months later that mentioned she was married to a lesbian Lutheran minister.
07-23-2014 10:16 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(07-23-2014 08:02 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  

No reason to draft an openly gay guy in round 7. Round 1-3 ok. logic trumps ass sex
07-23-2014 10:18 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(07-23-2014 07:50 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  She must have known Catholics don't allow gay marriage, how could she not have? And she did it anyway. She made a choice, the church acted on it and now the only thing that will make her whole again is money.

Colleen Simon, who worked in the food pantry and helped the homeless, was sacked after marrying a woman.

A woman who was fired by a Catholic food pantry in Kansas City, Missouri, for being gay is taking the diocese and its bishop to court.

Colleen Simon, a former director of a ministry that feeds homeless people, claims her bosses were aware of her sexuality when she was hired, saying it was no problem. However, she was fired in May, shortly after a local news article mentioned her marriage to a woman.

Simon, who is seeking to be reinstated as a director and wishes to receive unpaid wages, fringe benefits and compensation for emotional distress, issued a statement on Friday (18 July), saying: ‘I file this lawsuit today with reluctance, and after exhausting all attempts at reasons.

‘While I feel betrayed by the unjust action of the diocese, it is still my greatest desire to return to my position and to serve the parishioners and those at the margins in the surrounding society.’

In response, the diocese have vowed to fight the case, saying: ‘As needed, we will defend our constitutional freedom to practice our faith and uphold the integrity of our mission and public witness.’

The lawsuit follows the announcement that President Barack Obama will be signing an LGBT-inclusive anti-discrimination executive order on Monday.

The order, which protects LGBT workers from discrimination from federal contractors, is unlikely to provide any religious exemption.
-

Why can't a gay non profit hire her. Why do the gay non profits not step up to the plate?
07-23-2014 10:20 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(07-23-2014 10:16 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  She was married before she started work there. She explained during her job interview that she was married to a woman. They hired her anyway. She didn't get fired until an article was published months later that mentioned she was married to a lesbian Lutheran minister.

Media stories tend to get people fired even if nothing was criminally or morally wrong. See Van Jones.
07-23-2014 10:24 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(07-23-2014 08:14 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Did it affect her work? Was she performing the job adequately? Those are the things that should matter.

She was doing something the church teaches people not to do - she was going against her employer's belief system, just like the disc jockey's who got fired for going against their employer's belief system. Remember that story?
07-23-2014 10:32 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
She should sue. I don't care if she wins or loses, but there are very few other ways to get questions like this answered.

I don't think this is about being pro or against gay anything to me nor is it about the church's right to take a certain stance on something to me. Is it a wrongful firing? That's the question.
07-23-2014 10:33 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-23-2014 10:20 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(07-23-2014 07:50 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  She must have known Catholics don't allow gay marriage, how could she not have? And she did it anyway. She made a choice, the church acted on it and now the only thing that will make her whole again is money.

-

Why can't a gay non profit hire her. Why do the gay non profits not step up to the plate?

She probably doesn't identify with gay subculture. She probably doesn't do many liberal things for that matter.
07-23-2014 10:35 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(07-23-2014 10:33 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  Is it a wrongful firing?

If she's in an at-will state then it shouldn't matter, employers can fire employees because it's Wednesday.
07-23-2014 10:37 PM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-23-2014 10:37 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  

If she's in an at-will state then it shouldn't matter, employers can fire employees because it's Wednesday.

There's more than enough precedence--even on an at-will basis--of people winning suits due to discrimination.

I'm no lawyer but it could be a violation of good faith. If they hired her with prior knowledge of her being married to a woman, depending on the jurisdiction, that is unlawful termination.
07-23-2014 10:43 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-23-2014 10:43 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  
There's more than enough precedence--even on an at-will basis--of people winning suits due to discrimination.
I'm no lawyer but it could be a violation of good faith. If they hired her with prior knowledge of her being married to a woman, depending on the jurisdiction, that is unlawful termination.

It would also depend on whether sexual preference is a protected class in Missouri. It is not a protected class under federal law, but some state laws do protect it. If there is no state protection, she will have a hard time availing herself of anti-discrimination laws.

IIRC, the wedding cake lawsuit was in a state where sexual preference is protected under state law.
07-23-2014 10:50 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(07-23-2014 10:43 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  

Maybe, maybe not. Employers can hire people who have different value systems than they do but once those values are exposed all bets are off. I knew a manager who was pro union even though he was management. When the employees started to organize he couldn't hide his sympathy for them and was fired. It's legal to unionize, it's legal for members of management to have an opinion, but when that opinion conflicts openly with reality the employer has to make a decision based on their values.
07-23-2014 10:53 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

Cant' gays create their own gay schools?
07-23-2014 10:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.