Open TigerLinks

Dredd
Bookmark and Share
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
Dredd
Seriously, nobody told me about this movie? Holy awesome! Now that's what SF should look like.
07-21-2014 11:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
RE: Dredd
Awesome graphic novels and awesome, beautifully shot movie. It went waay under the radar and was essentially made as an indie film. It was a flop by monetary standards but got a lot of accolades after it came out on Netflix/Prime.

The producer is exploring doing a sequel or a TV series but nothing is set (no script/funding/etc)

Dredd comics and Dredd "year one" are awesome (very violent, not your kid's comics).
07-22-2014 02:18 PM
TigerBill Offline

Donators
(07-22-2014 02:18 PM)tiger2000 Wrote:  Awesome graphic novels and awesome, beautifully shot movie. It went waay under the radar and was essentially made as an indie film. It was a flop by monetary standards but got a lot of accolades after it came out on Netflix/Prime.

The producer is exploring doing a sequel or a TV series but nothing is set (no script/funding/etc)

Dredd comics and Dredd "year one" are awesome (very violent, not your kid's comics).

I was shocked, the movie is damned near perfect. Gory, yes, but no overt sex. As bad as Stallone was in 'Judge Dredd' this one was great. If you have Amazon Prime, watch this today, it's free.
07-22-2014 02:34 PM
Advertisement

tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

(07-22-2014 02:34 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  
(07-22-2014 02:18 PM)tiger2000 Wrote:  Awesome graphic novels and awesome, beautifully shot movie. It went waay under the radar and was essentially made as an indie film. It was a flop by monetary standards but got a lot of accolades after it came out on Netflix/Prime.

I was shocked, the movie is damned near perfect. Gory, yes, but no overt sex. As bad as Stallone was in 'Judge Dredd' this one was great. If you have Amazon Prime, watch this today, it's free.

Judge Dredd was done almost as a spoof - it was over the top, "b-movie" on a big budget and had bad humor. That was all done purposefully- to the horror of fans of the british comics. The comics are gritty and Dredd is a take-no-prisoners badass in them. The history and "megacity" concept in dredd comics is very cool.

Part of me wonders if they saw the success of the teenage mutant ninja turtles and tried to emulate that to an extent. TMNT were hardcore seriously violent comics with very adult themes - they were softened up and turned into pizza-loving catch-phrase caricatures for TV and movies which of course led to millions in action figures, cereal, clothing, and tons of other product branding.

You can read some dredd comics on comixology (ipad/android/computer comic app/site now owned by amazon) - https://www.comixology.com/
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2014 03:22 PM by tiger2000.)
07-22-2014 03:09 PM
TigerBill Offline

Donators
(07-22-2014 03:09 PM)tiger2000 Wrote:  

Judge Dredd was done almost as a spoof - it was over the top, "b-movie" on a big budget and had bad humor. That was all done purposefully- to the horror of fans of the british comics. The comics are gritty and Dredd is a take-no-prisoners badass in them. The history and "megacity" concept in dredd comics is very cool.

Part of me wonders if they saw the success of the teenage mutant ninja turtles and tried to emulate that to an extent. TMNT were hardcore seriously violent comics with very adult themes - they were softened up and turned into pizza-loving catch-phrase caricatures for TV and movies which of course led to millions in action figures, cereal, clothing, and tons of other product branding.

You can read some dredd comics on comixology (ipad/android/computer comic app/site now owned by amazon) - https://www.comixology.com/

Your point about TMNT is very well made; I think you've got it, they were trying to cash in. I tried to watch Stallone's version and it sucked. I'll look into the comics as I really like the canon of the whole thing.
07-22-2014 06:10 PM
Advertisement

tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

(07-22-2014 06:10 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  

Your point about TMNT is very well made; I think you've got it, they were trying to cash in. I tried to watch Stallone's version and it sucked. I'll look into the comics as I really like the canon of the whole thing.

Yeah, the Stallone movie is terrible. Complete opposite of the more recent dredd movie.

You can buy story arcs and omnibus collections on comixology for heavily discounted rates. You can also search the Internet for comic book archive files (files ending with extension .cbr, .cbz, .cbt, .cba, .cb7 files) and download a free comic book reader to iPad/kindle fire/iPhone/PC to open and view the comics.

Some older comics (doesn't really apply to dredd) are actually public domain now. Not long ago I ran across a site that listed golden age comics that were now public domain with direct download links.

Also very cool are Alan moore's stint writing "swamp thing" - also on comixology as a story arch collection.
07-22-2014 09:05 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(07-21-2014 11:14 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  Seriously, nobody told me about this movie? Holy awesome! Now that's what SF should look like.

The first one was crap...the new one was a little less crapy...but still crap.
07-22-2014 09:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerBill Offline

Donators
(07-22-2014 09:05 PM)tiger2000 Wrote:  
(07-22-2014 06:10 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  

Yeah, the Stallone movie is terrible. Complete opposite of the more recent dredd movie.

You can buy story arcs and omnibus collections on comixology for heavily discounted rates. You can also search the Internet for comic book archive files (files ending with extension .cbr, .cbz, .cbt, .cba, .cb7 files) and download a free comic book reader to iPad/kindle fire/iPhone/PC to open and view the comics.

Some older comics (doesn't really apply to dredd) are actually public domain now. Not long ago I ran across a site that listed golden age comics that were now public domain with direct download links.

Also very cool are Alan moore's stint writing "swamp thing" - also on comixology as a story arch collection.

Thanks, I'll look into it. Now let's hope there's a Dredd 2, no wonder it's considered one of the greatest overlooked movies of the century so far.
07-22-2014 09:49 PM
3810hFo Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: TIGERS
Dredd was really good. A very pleasant surprise.
07-26-2014 09:48 PM
Advertisement

bsp34 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Mississippi St.
slightly related, there is a Judge running for election in Nashville named Dread
07-28-2014 09:27 AM
TigerBill Offline

Donators
(07-28-2014 09:27 AM)bsp34 Wrote:  slightly related, there is a Judge running for election in Nashville named Dread

I'd be playing the movie nightly and serving beer.
07-28-2014 12:32 PM
tiger1016 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
The new Dredd was very good but it's a copy (plot and setup) of the Indonesian movie The Raid which is an awesome movie. Check that out as well if you haven't.
07-28-2014 07:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.