Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Any of you have experience with Product Managers?
dmacfour Offline
All American

I Root For: Idaho Vandals
A company in my area just offered a position as a product manager. Based on the information I've been given, it sounds like a stressful but rewarding responsibility. Do any of you have experience in this domain? Any advice to give related to this career path?
07-20-2014 12:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
RE: OT: Any of you have experience with Product Managers?
(07-20-2014 12:36 AM)dmacfour Wrote:  A company in my area just offered a position as a product manager. Based on the information I've been given, it sounds like a stressful but rewarding responsibility. Do any of you have experience in this domain? Any advice to give related to this career path?

A lot of companies call the same job different things. Do you have a job description?
07-20-2014 12:40 AM
dmacfour Offline
All American

(07-20-2014 12:40 AM)smn1256 Wrote:  
(07-20-2014 12:36 AM)dmacfour Wrote:  A company in my area just offered a position as a product manager. Based on the information I've been given, it sounds like a stressful but rewarding responsibility. Do any of you have experience in this domain? Any advice to give related to this career path?

A lot of companies call the same job different things. Do you have a job description?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_pr...ct_manager
07-20-2014 12:41 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Sorry man, I know nothing, actually, less than nothing, about that field. But good luck.
07-20-2014 12:43 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
dmac, the wikipedia listing is not a decent job description. Different companies have different demands of that position.
07-20-2014 09:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dmacfour Offline
All American

(07-20-2014 09:49 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  dmac, the wikipedia listing is not a decent job description. Different companies have different demands of that position.

I didn't want to post the actual job description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-20-2014 08:23 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Thought you were getting a masters in psychology or something like that?
07-20-2014 08:26 PM
dmacfour Offline
All American

(07-20-2014 08:26 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Thought you were getting a masters in psychology or something like that?

I completed the program in December.

07-20-2014 09:02 PM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(07-20-2014 08:23 PM)dmacfour Wrote:  
(07-20-2014 09:49 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  dmac, the wikipedia listing is not a decent job description. Different companies have different demands of that position.

What industry would it be for? That would help. I've worked with product managers for about a dozen different industries. For the most part, they loved what they did.
07-20-2014 09:15 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2014 09:02 PM)dmacfour Wrote:  
(07-20-2014 08:26 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Thought you were getting a masters in psychology or something like that?

So is this in your chosen career path?
07-20-2014 10:06 PM
dmacfour Offline
All American

(07-20-2014 09:15 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

What industry would it be for? That would help. I've worked with product managers for about a dozen different industries. For the most part, they loved what they did.

It's a company that sells high end surveillance equipment/software. I'll be responsible for software related products.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2014 11:29 PM by dmacfour.)
07-20-2014 11:27 PM
dmacfour Offline
All American

(07-20-2014 10:06 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  
(07-20-2014 09:02 PM)dmacfour Wrote:  

So is this in your chosen career path?

To be honest, it wasn't what I was looking for at first. I was getting frustrated with my job search and made my criteria a bit more liberal. I was looking for user experience jobs, and this job deals with user experience in some capacity. The interview came out of the blue and I was sold on the idea after doing some research.
07-20-2014 11:35 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

If it's in your general direction then I'd go for it. You don't have to stay and it's far easier to find a job when you have one.

Good luck and congratulations.
07-20-2014 11:47 PM
Advertisement

dmacfour Offline
All American

(07-20-2014 11:47 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  If it's in your general direction then I'd go for it. You don't have to stay and it's far easier to find a job when you have one.

Good luck and congratulations.

Thanks man.

Until I graduated, I didn't think the recession was a big deal. The job search over the last seven months may have been the most depressing thing I've done.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014 12:06 AM by dmacfour.)
07-21-2014 12:05 AM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(07-20-2014 11:27 PM)dmacfour Wrote:  

It's a company that sells high end surveillance equipment/software. I'll be responsible for software related products.

If you want to focus on user experience at some point, then software and especially web interfaces would be worthwhile.

You may find that you like this work, but not this particular industry. It doesn't matter, once you have a job, it will be infinitely easier to find a job.

With the way that many HR departments are run, if they recruit internally, your resume is going to have to have experience with certain keywords on it in order to even get promoted in the queue for hiring managers to look at. The problem hiring managers have these days is that when a decent position opens up, everyone on the planet applies for it. And I mean everyone on the planet, especially from India. So, the software does the pre-screening and funnels resumes which appear to be a good match. It sucks, but its the way it is for some companies.
07-21-2014 05:49 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Re: OT: Any of you have experience with Product Managers?
Jump on it. Sounds like a good opportunity.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
07-21-2014 07:30 PM
dmacfour Offline
All American

(07-21-2014 05:49 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(07-20-2014 11:27 PM)dmacfour Wrote:  

If you want to focus on user experience at some point, then software and especially web interfaces would be worthwhile.

You may find that you like this work, but not this particular industry. It doesn't matter, once you have a job, it will be infinitely easier to find a job.

With the way that many HR departments are run, if they recruit internally, your resume is going to have to have experience with certain keywords on it in order to even get promoted in the queue for hiring managers to look at. The problem hiring managers have these days is that when a decent position opens up, everyone on the planet applies for it. And I mean everyone on the planet, especially from India. So, the software does the pre-screening and funnels resumes which appear to be a good match. It sucks, but its the way it is for some companies.

UX is what I've been trying to get into since graduation, so this'll probably be a good start for me.
07-22-2014 12:18 AM
Advertisement

CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
I have product management responsibilities as a part of my role (I am in marketing and in my company product management rolls up to us). This article captures PM far better than anything I could write - highly recommended reading: https://medium.com/@rohinivibha/so-you-w...64ba7e5138
07-22-2014 08:13 AM
dmacfour Offline
All American

(07-22-2014 08:13 AM)CalallenStang Wrote:  I have product management responsibilities as a part of my role (I am in marketing and in my company product management rolls up to us). This article captures PM far better than anything I could write - highly recommended reading: https://medium.com/@rohinivibha/so-you-w...64ba7e5138

Thanks for the link. It seems like this person got their start in exactly the same way I currently am.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2014 02:08 PM by dmacfour.)
07-22-2014 02:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.