Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The 10 Most Delusional Fan Bases In College Sports, Attn: chiefsfan
Bookmark and Share
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
The 10 Most Delusional Fan Bases In College Sports, Attn: chiefsfan
No. 3 Arkansas Football Fans

Despite all evidence to the contrary, Razorbacks’ fans are quite vocal about their program’s prestige. They take pride in being in the SEC, the best conference in the land, and consider themselves one of the better programs in the nation…for some reason. In the last decade, they’ve only reached the postseason five times. They’ve never even won an SEC championship, much less come close to winning a national championship since joining the league. The only title the Razorbacks claim is from way back in 1964.

Since 2004, they’re averaging a marginal 6.8 wins-per-season. They also went 0-8 in the SEC last year. No respectable program should ever do that, regardless of coaching changes. How Arkansas fans can brag about anything is astonishing. The SEC is undoubtedly the best conference in the nation, but Razorbacks fans can’t really claim that their program is contributing to that fact.

http://collegespun.com/national/the-10-m...e-sports/8

03-lmfao Don't ya love it when fans talk about their program's presitge?
07-17-2014 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: The 10 Most Delusional Fan Bases In College Sports, Attn: chiefsfan
(07-17-2014 01:30 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  No. 3 Arkansas Football Fans

Despite all evidence to the contrary, Razorbacks’ fans are quite vocal about their program’s prestige. They take pride in being in the SEC, the best conference in the land, and consider themselves one of the better programs in the nation…for some reason. In the last decade, they’ve only reached the postseason five times. They’ve never even won an SEC championship, much less come close to winning a national championship since joining the league. The only title the Razorbacks claim is from way back in 1964.

Since 2004, they’re averaging a marginal 6.8 wins-per-season. They also went 0-8 in the SEC last year. No respectable program should ever do that, regardless of coaching changes. How Arkansas fans can brag about anything is astonishing. The SEC is undoubtedly the best conference in the nation, but Razorbacks fans can’t really claim that their program is contributing to that fact.

Another site did a ranking of delusional fan bases for both college and the pros and the Pigs were 4th behind The Cowyboys, Bama, and one team I cant remember.

Its much worse in person. Without another P5 school to challenge them in state, they've let that ideal grow unchecked to the point that they now expect the media to quote the National Championship mantra as well, with the threat of loss of access looming over their heads.

Alabama fans are worse simply because Arkansas fans generally wont do anything violent...but that doesn't mean they are not delusional. We're getting close to that time of year where their more delusional ones who think they are American Idol bound will jump on Youtube and sing songs dedicated to the football team. Those are always fun.
07-17-2014 01:53 PM
Panthersville Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State

Don't you love it when someone makes fun of a specific word in an article.....but spells that word wrong in the process?
07-17-2014 03:02 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
I'm stunned that they weren't picked #1.
07-17-2014 03:06 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(07-17-2014 03:02 PM)Panthersville Wrote:  

Don't you love it when someone makes fun of a specific word in an article.....but spells that word wrong in the process?

03-banghead
07-17-2014 03:11 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
George Schroeder of USA Today who is from Arkansas summed it up well. A few paragraphs of note:

Everyone is a Razorback, and almost everyone is desperately engrossed in the cause.

That's the only unifying principle, though. Everything else is up for vigorous debate. Without a rival, the Hogs fight with each other. Even after athletic director Jeff Long's carefully laid-out reasons for firing Petrino, a very vocal segment of the fan base still believes he should be coaching. "Forgive, forget and win," one of those protestors said.

Before Petrino, there were Nutts and Anti-Nutts, and people were either on or off the Gus Bus (which, of course, is the last time many of you paid attention). Always, there's the ongoing Great Stadium Debate between Fayetteville and Little Rock. And if you want a good fight, start a conversation about changing the uniforms.

There's always something simmering, some serious schism, with potential for more. We'll just go ahead and say it: More Razorback fans are nutty -- and nuttier -- than anywhere else. Other schools' fans track planes during coaching searches. But if you haven't attempted to create a coaching search by filing FOI requests for your guy's phone records, please sit back down and keep reading. Not you, Mr. Updyke. But everyone else, please understand: A Best of Finebaum show can erupt at any moment.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/04/16...ll-petrino
07-17-2014 03:28 PM
Advertisement

gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
I think Clemson fans are the most delusional. They think that orange looks good.

Wow, just saw Gamecocks on that list. I'm a born and bred Gamecock and went to school there despite 300 years worth of family from the Upstate and some of them having idiotic allegiance to that other school.

But they must be talking about younger fans. For most of my half century on this earth USC was pretty bad -- but we loved them anyway. Now I always expect them to falter. Not choke, but fall victim to the dread Chicken Curse, which is real as hell. Otherwise Carolina would've taken Georgia to the woodshed last season.

GATA.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2014 05:56 PM by gsu95.)
07-17-2014 05:49 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Runner Up: UNM Fan base:

For Football UNM Fans think they should be playing in the PAC 12 or the Big 12. They believe if they put more money into their stadium that they will be invited. They have expanded their Stadium (they want to get to 43,000. Average 20-22,000 a game), while not expanding their fan base. Their fans have gone so far to get more money for Football, that they even started a movement once to force NMSU to drop to FCS so more money will be available to them. They were talking to State Legislators to force the issue to happen. I believe this occurred last time we were in the SBC.

For Basketball UNM Fans think they should be playing top teams in OOC schedule, like Duke at their Arena. No one ever wants to come play them. Also the last two years they have lost their 1st games of the NCAA Tournament to Harvard (2013) and Stanford (2014) who were both seeded lower then UNM.

Overall UNM fans believe that they should be given whatever they want and that they will champions.
07-17-2014 06:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
Damn dude. Well, buck up, and switch to clear liquor in the summer time.
07-17-2014 08:24 PM
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
ThUGA fans number one by a landslide
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2014 03:59 AM by eagleskins.)
07-18-2014 03:59 AM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(07-17-2014 06:14 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  Runner Up: UNM Fan base:

For Football UNM Fans think they should be playing in the PAC 12 or the Big 12. They believe if they put more money into their stadium that they will be invited. They have expanded their Stadium (they want to get to 43,000. Average 20-22,000 a game), while not expanding their fan base. Their fans have gone so far to get more money for Football, that they even started a movement once to force NMSU to drop to FCS so more money will be available to them. They were talking to State Legislators to force the issue to happen. I believe this occurred last time we were in the SBC.

For Basketball UNM Fans think they should be playing top teams in OOC schedule, like Duke at their Arena. No one ever wants to come play them. Also the last two years they have lost their 1st games of the NCAA Tournament to Harvard (2013) and Stanford (2014) who were both seeded lower then UNM.

Overall UNM fans believe that they should be given whatever they want and that they will champions.

unm fans and the general population around that area seem to me to be more likely to be basketball oriented.
07-18-2014 06:57 AM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(07-18-2014 06:57 AM)runamuck Wrote:  
(07-17-2014 06:14 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  Runner Up: UNM Fan base:

unm fans and the general population around that area seem to me to be more likely to be basketball oriented.
UNM fans for the most part are divided between FB and MBB, with very few supporting both. UNM MBB has done well where as FB has been inconsistent. Yeah UNM has been to bowls this century, but that still didn't draw people to games. Yet they keep adding seats to their stadium when they cant even fill it. I think last year or the year before they averaged 17,000 and their stadium seats a little more then 39,000.

There is a saying "New Mexico is a basketball State". I have heard a lot of different people over the years say that. I believe its true. The basketball teams do well. I have never felt this at NMSU that their is a division between the 2 sports. But I have met fans that are solely for just FB or MBB at NMSU, every fan base has this group. I have yet to see another fan base that has the division between FB and MBB that UNM does.

I know way to much about UNM, one of the side effects of living in Albuquerque.
07-18-2014 11:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
We used to have some fans that only went to basketball. Then basketball started sucking and football got good and now they only go to football.
07-18-2014 01:28 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(07-18-2014 01:28 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  We used to have some fans that only went to basketball. Then basketball started sucking and football got good and now they only go to football.

We've got posters on our own board now who probably wouldn't bat an eye if basketball was shut down for good.

Its amazing how people jump bandwagons even within their own team.
07-18-2014 01:55 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(07-18-2014 03:59 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  ThUGA fans number one by a landslide

I don't really think of them as delusional because they have such consistently good program. My issue comes from the fans who seem so frustrated with never quite living up to their potential that they go all sour grapes on every rival or semi-rival. Think about the schools that have won a national championship since the last time UGA did: Florida (three?), Auburn (plus a couple more undefeated seasons), Georgia Tech, Alabama (four?), LSU (two?), Florida State (two?), even Clemson. That's pretty much a who's who of every school a UGA fan could hate, but there are probably fans who have a reason prepared to discount every one of those titles...
07-18-2014 01:56 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
North Carolina fans in recent years have gotten pretty bad. They believe in the Carolina Way, that their coaches don't cheat and despite their problems being worse than USC or Ohio State, they still haven't been sufficiently punished. They are the mouthy little kids who fight back any negative report. They try to discredit and shame any whistleblower. The sky blue local media wouldn't report these issues while NC State fans were finding info out through public means. Not even FOIA requests, just online public documents. Now some reporters are on it, but not as many as there needs to be. It's a bad case of institutional corruption that has spread from the top to the bottom. Heck, when recruiting Chapel Hill football and basketball coaches point the finger at the other sport, saying it's on them and their program is fine.

When a Fayetteville, NC writer wrote a piece about how Dean Smith had Dementia with stories, the backlash was spectacular. How dare this write tell these lies about Coach Smith? How dare he expose his private life like that? And then it came out all of it was true and it was even worse than reported.

The thing is, Chapel Hill doesn't have to cheat. They have the resources and people in power to be up there in football, basketball and every other sport. It was pure arrogance that made them recruit academically questionable players and coddle them with bogus African-American Studies classes
07-18-2014 08:59 PM
Advertisement

dmacfour Offline
All American

I Root For: Idaho Vandals
Boise State's starting to get there. The success of their FB team has actually distorted reality in this region. People say they belong in the Pac 12, that they now have way more money than U of I, or that they've turned into a good school. All of that is false.

Their campus is still unremarkable and dominated by athletic facilities. Somehow, while the school was pouring millions of dollars into athletics, they forgot that BSU offers degrees. To be fair, there are some impressive looking academic buildings that were recently build. Unfortunately, they're surrounded by a bunch of plain brick buildings that look fitting for a community college.

Outside of athletics, the only similarity BSU has to PAC 12 schools is that it has a lot of students. BSU doesn't compare well to most FBS schools academically.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2014 01:52 AM by dmacfour.)
07-20-2014 01:45 AM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Example on UNM fans being delusional. I love, when they get into the big 5 03-lmfao

Link
07-20-2014 10:03 AM
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
If they did a mid major list UNC Charlotte would be an absolute shoe-in.
07-21-2014 12:25 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(07-18-2014 01:56 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  
(07-18-2014 03:59 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  ThUGA fans number one by a landslide

I don't really think of them as delusional because they have such consistently good program. My issue comes from the fans who seem so frustrated with never quite living up to their potential that they go all sour grapes on every rival or semi-rival. Think about the schools that have won a national championship since the last time UGA did: Florida (three?), Auburn (plus a couple more undefeated seasons), Georgia Tech, Alabama (four?), LSU (two?), Florida State (two?), even Clemson. That's pretty much a who's who of every school a UGA fan could hate, but there are probably fans who have a reason prepared to discount every one of those titles...
Hence...delusional.
07-21-2014 01:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.