Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question for A-State fans
Bookmark and Share
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Do you have an opponent in football that you feel as strongly against as you do against us in basketball?
07-14-2014 08:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: Question for A-State fans
(07-14-2014 08:41 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Do you have an opponent in football that you feel as strongly against as you do against us in basketball?

Memphis, they may not return the hate like you guys can...but I think we'd be fine taking 100 losses to Steve Shields if we could continually beat Memphis by 100 points in football every year.

Problem is our friends at THS are apparently ending the series...something about getting beat a lot recently.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 08:48 PM by chiefsfan.)
07-14-2014 08:47 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Memphis is real hate. UALR is more of a traditional bragging rights rivalry. I don't wish doom on UALR.
07-14-2014 08:52 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Well, I kind of share your emotion there.
07-15-2014 05:20 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(07-15-2014 05:20 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Well, I kind of share your emotion there.

I'm always happy when ASU wins in football, and as long as it doesn't affect us in basketball, I wish them well also. I like the Arkansas schools doing well nationally. It's like brothers who compete against each other. They want to win, but when it's over, they're still brothers and they want their brothers to do well against other competition. ASU has been a great rivalry for UALR.
And it will continue as long as we're in the same league. If for some reason one leaves, they will probably still continue the series as it's too good to discontinue.01-lauramac2
07-15-2014 10:31 AM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(07-15-2014 05:20 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Well, I kind of share your emotion there.

Yeah. I don't hate UALR really. I don't think any of us like losing to you guys, but in the end we benefit when UALR does well as a conference member. The Memphis series is pure hate. If that program was swallowed up by a gigantic sink hole, there would be massive celebrations in Jonesboro.
07-15-2014 01:39 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

(07-14-2014 08:52 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  Memphis is real hate. UALR is more of a traditional bragging rights rivalry. I don't wish doom on UALR.

Nor i on you guys. Most of us root for you in football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
07-15-2014 09:07 PM
DollarBill Offline
1st String

I Root For: Trojans
I have 2 questions for Chiefsfan. 1. Why so much hatred for Memphis State? Even so, don't that make for a good rivalry? 2. Given the option, why would ASU not choose to have Missouri come to Jonesboro? Seems to me that would excite the Red Wolves Nation and pack the house. Just wondering.
07-16-2014 05:14 PM
hb8 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: stAte
Mizzou would excite our fan base and pack the house. At our established ticket prices we might make a $500,000 profit. Hard to really compute that since 8,000+ are season ticket holders. St. Louis has offered us $1.5 million for the game.

On the other hand our new press/corporate box addition (20 boxes @ $40,000 each on a season basis) will be newly opened in September 2015. That narrows the gap.

KC offered $2 million. That was turned down due to proximity (7 hours instead of 4). Reported that LR offered to make WMS available for a $35,000 rental fee. A distant third, I'd say.

Mizzou can buy the game out for $600,000.
07-16-2014 09:32 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(07-16-2014 05:14 PM)DollarBill Wrote:  I have 2 questions for Chiefsfan. 1. Why so much hatred for Memphis State? Even so, don't that make for a good rivalry? 2. Given the option, why would ASU not choose to have Missouri come to Jonesboro? Seems to me that would excite the Red Wolves Nation and pack the house. Just wondering.

We've been rivals with THS since the 50's. I think the hate is a result of the attitude that many Memphis media, admins, and fans take toward us. They see us as a lower tier program, while we see them as a peer. Throw in this unusual theory that Memphis should be in the SEC that runs around town often enough, and the frustration remains. Not to mention you have the typical, hate the big city school syndrome.

As for Mizzou. The primary reason comes down to money. We're in the middle of 40 million dollars worth of improvements to the football stadium and facilities. That money is not completely raised yet. The big point though is the final numbers. At 1.5 million plus as of the last offer, The money from that game would nearly double our ticket revenue for an entire football season. The fact is...the only way we can host that game is if our fan base agrees to pay $45-50 for a ticket. That would be three times as much as a single game ticket currently costs, and might drive away some of our more casual fans.

The 3rd issue is that there is a 600K buyout. While Missouri has not indicated they would do such a thing, we are talking about the SEC here, and if a better game comes around, Missouri could easily fork over the 600K to buy out the game, and we'd be really up a creek.

Its extremely hotly debated up here. Some fans are crucifying our AD for even considering the move, while others are crucifying him for talking about charging $50 for tickets. Its really a no win situation, which means he's going to hold this as long as possible and see what our revenue starts to look like before a decision is made.
07-17-2014 02:33 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-17-2014 02:33 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(07-16-2014 05:14 PM)DollarBill Wrote:  I have 2 questions for Chiefsfan. 1. Why so much hatred for Memphis State? Even so, don't that make for a good rivalry? 2. Given the option, why would ASU not choose to have Missouri come to Jonesboro? Seems to me that would excite the Red Wolves Nation and pack the house. Just wondering.

We've been rivals with THS since the 50's. I think the hate is a result of the attitude that many Memphis media, admins, and fans take toward us. They see us as a lower tier program, while we see them as a peer. Throw in this unusual theory that Memphis should be in the SEC that runs around town often enough, and the frustration remains. Not to mention you have the typical, hate the big city school syndrome.

As for Mizzou. The primary reason comes down to money. We're in the middle of 40 million dollars worth of improvements to the football stadium and facilities. That money is not completely raised yet. The big point though is the final numbers. At 1.5 million plus as of the last offer, The money from that game would nearly double our ticket revenue for an entire football season. The fact is...the only way we can host that game is if our fan base agrees to pay $45-50 for a ticket. That would be three times as much as a single game ticket currently costs, and might drive away some of our more casual fans.

The 3rd issue is that there is a 600K buyout. While Missouri has not indicated they would do such a thing, we are talking about the SEC here, and if a better game comes around, Missouri could easily fork over the 600K to buy out the game, and we'd be really up a creek.

Its extremely hotly debated up here. Some fans are crucifying our AD for even considering the move, while others are crucifying him for talking about charging $50 for tickets. Its really a no win situation, which means he's going to hold this as long as possible and see what our revenue starts to look like before a decision is made.

Hard for me to imagine that folks in Jonesboro would be unwilling to fork over $45-$50 to see an SEC team come to play in your stadium. How much more does it cost to travel to see your team play a big name opponent on the road? It cost $60 (plus donation fees) to see the hogs play what basically was an exhibition game against Samford. This game would bring a ton of revenue plus a ton of exposure to your city. A win, which would be much more likely at home, would do wonders for your program. The buyout is somewhat concerning, but getting 600K for doing nothing is not a bad deal either. You could always find a road game, against a "BCS" type school, that would make up the difference in money if Missouri actually paid the buyout. I just don't see how you can pass up an opportunity to play the SEC East Champion on your home field. An ASU friend of mine thinks (hopes) your AD is just stringing this along to get financial support from the city of Jonesboro, guarantees from boosters, and commitments from fans to buy up the tickets in Jonesboro. I hope he is right.
07-17-2014 02:49 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(07-17-2014 02:49 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(07-17-2014 02:33 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Hard for me to imagine that folks in Jonesboro would be unwilling to fork over $45-$50 to see an SEC team come to play in your stadium. How much more does it cost to travel to see your team play a big name opponent on the road? It cost $60 (plus donation fees) to see the hogs play what basically was an exhibition game against Samford. This game would bring a ton of revenue plus a ton of exposure to your city. A win, which would be much more likely at home, would do wonders for your program. The buyout is somewhat concerning, but getting 600K for doing nothing is not a bad deal either. You could always find a road game, against a "BCS" type school, that would make up the difference in money if Missouri actually paid the buyout. I just don't see how you can pass up an opportunity to play the SEC East Champion on your home field. An ASU friend of mine thinks (hopes) your AD is just stringing this along to get financial support from the city of Jonesboro, guarantees from boosters, and commitments from fans to buy up the tickets in Jonesboro. I hope he is right.

Thing is, we already have a big money game that year. We'll make 1.3 Million for our trip to Southern Cal the week before the Missouri Game.

In a lot of ways its exactly what your friend said. ASU isn't thrilled with Jonesboro for putting up a good amount of cash to host the 10 Year Old Cal Ripken World Series for the next two years, but they kicked and screamed and fought when we tried to get the road that runs by our stadium renamed Red Wolf Blvd. (Narrowly passed)

I think we are trying to make a point to the city and to some of our bigger boosters that if we have any intention of hosting more P5 games, becoming a high profile program, and getting into a big league, we cant sit by without a major amount of financial support from the city and its business owners.

Trust me, Mohajir is serious about moving this game, and would do so in a heart beat if he doesn't think that he'll get the support he wants for it. Its a game that has to sell out. Its sure to be on National TV. We cant afford 10,000 fans skipping out because it rained or because they didn't want to pay 50 bucks for tickets.
07-17-2014 03:02 PM
DollarBill Offline
1st String

I Root For: Trojans
One more question for any ASU fan. Apparently I am too slow to get it. I have not heard about "THS". I assume it's a disrespectful acronym concerning Memphis State. Just wondering.
07-18-2014 06:36 PM
Advertisement

hb8 Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-18-2014 06:36 PM)DollarBill Wrote:  One more question for any ASU fan. Apparently I am too slow to get it. I have not heard about "THS". I assume it's a disrespectful acronym concerning Memphis State. Just wondering.

Tiger High
07-18-2014 09:31 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(07-18-2014 06:36 PM)DollarBill Wrote:  One more question for any ASU fan. Apparently I am too slow to get it. I have not heard about "THS". I assume it's a disrespectful acronym concerning Memphis State. Just wondering.

As you've just seen...the full statement is censored on this board thanks to Memphis having their primary site here.

But T stands for Tiger, and you can guess what HS stands for.
07-19-2014 10:47 PM
Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

I Root For: LR,Tulsa
Can we censor "condoms" when we own the board?

Thin skinned tiger hi
07-20-2014 09:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hb8 Offline
Bench Warmer

Now that's just silly. T***r H**h. Now for me, I don't like the name because it originated with arrogant Ole Miss fans in Memphis. But to censor it. At least we know it really bothers them.
07-20-2014 08:21 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(07-20-2014 09:36 AM)Robert C Wrote:  Can we censor "condoms" when we own the board?

Thin skinned tiger hi

Memphis doesn't own the board, they just have the largest fan base.

Anyone whose ever ventured to the deep dark hole known as memphistigers.org would understand why the phrase is censored. Full Scale riots over there start for less.

Two places I rarely visit on CSN... The Politics board and the Memphis board.
07-21-2014 10:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.