Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WHO warns HIV 'exploding' among gay men
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
WHO warns HIV 'exploding' among gay men
Quote:HIV infections are rising among gay men in many parts of the world, the World Health Organization warned Friday, urging all men who have sex with men to take antiretroviral drugs to prevent infection.

"We are seeing exploding epidemics," warned Gottfried Hirnschall, who heads WHO's HIV department.

Infection rates are rising again among men who have sex with men -- the group at the epicentre of AIDS pandemic when it first emerged 33 years ago, he told reporters in Geneva.

While images of skeletal men dying of AIDS in the 1980s pushed the world to act, a younger generation that has grown up among new treatments that make it possible to live with HIV are less focused on the disease, he suggested.

Today, this group is 19 times more likely than the general population to be infected by HIV, Hirnschall said.

In Bangkok for instance, the incidence of HIV among men who have sex with men stands at 5.7 percent, compared to less than 1.0 percent for the overall population, he said.

http://www.afp.com/en/news/who-warns-hiv...tive-drugs
07-14-2014 07:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: WHO warns HIV 'exploding' among gay men
(07-14-2014 07:40 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
Quote:HIV infections are rising among gay men in many parts of the world, the World Health Organization warned Friday, urging all men who have sex with men to take antiretroviral drugs to prevent infection.

"We are seeing exploding epidemics," warned Gottfried Hirnschall, who heads WHO's HIV department.

Infection rates are rising again among men who have sex with men -- the group at the epicentre of AIDS pandemic when it first emerged 33 years ago, he told reporters in Geneva.

While images of skeletal men dying of AIDS in the 1980s pushed the world to act, a younger generation that has grown up among new treatments that make it possible to live with HIV are less focused on the disease, he suggested.

Today, this group is 19 times more likely than the general population to be infected by HIV, Hirnschall said.

In Bangkok for instance, the incidence of HIV among men who have sex with men stands at 5.7 percent, compared to less than 1.0 percent for the overall population, he said.

Now you went and stirred up the hornets nest. The "gay brigade" will be here soon to try and brow beat you into believing that gay males and HIV have no correlations with each other.
07-14-2014 07:55 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
This happens when you ridicule people for words and defend the verb of those words.
07-14-2014 07:57 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
This happens when society condones and even tacitly encourages it.
07-14-2014 08:20 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
[Image: richard-gay.gif]
It is the World Health Organization that warned Friday,
urging all men who have sex with men to take antiretroviral drugs to prevent infection.
Seems like a pretty straight forward statement to help save peoples lives.
No matter how much some of us oppose that type of life style, seems as if
people should be aware of what they are saying.

(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 08:28 AM by GoApps70.)
07-14-2014 08:22 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables

Isn't this the image you gave in that thread where JDTulane got so pissed off? So it seems to be the representative image of gay dudes with AIDS for more than just the U/S...
07-14-2014 08:33 AM
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(07-14-2014 08:33 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  

Isn't this the image you gave in that thread where JDTulane got so pissed off? So it seems to be the representative image of gay dudes with AIDS for more than just the U/S...

Image didn't show up on my computer. My settings might be off, but don't think they are.
07-14-2014 08:53 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Quote:Today, this group is 19 times more likely than the general population to be infected by HIV, Hirnschall said

And

Quote:Globally, transgender women and injecting drug users, for instance, are around 50 times more likely than the general population to contract HIV,

No surprise other than someone's actually admitting it.

Quote:Decriminalising and destigmatising these groups would greatly help bring down HIV infections among them, WHO said.

How? Seems to me it would make things worse.
07-14-2014 09:56 AM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Shocker....this is a Homosexual Disease with unfortunate collateral damage. However, we have enabled it to proliferate and spread.
07-14-2014 10:20 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
(07-14-2014 08:53 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  
(07-14-2014 08:33 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  

Image didn't show up on my computer. My settings might be off, but don't think they are.

Verbal image... Not a picture. I believe it something to the effects of, "the guys in my town just look like gay AIDS people" when we were all talking about muscle building and such... JDT got mad because that term was said to make you think of skinny guys...
07-14-2014 10:25 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(07-14-2014 07:55 AM)Crebman Wrote:  

Now you went and stirred up the hornets nest. The "gay brigade" will be here soon to try and brow beat you into believing that gay males and HIV have no correlations with each other.

No. Its a HUGE problem. Young Gay people wont wear condoms. Absolutely refuse to wear them.

And while there are other factors, external to the Gay/Bisexual community (this has nothing to do with Lesbians) that contribute to this issue, its largely an issue that was created within our community.

Here's where we are at.

1) No one likes sex with condoms, straight or Gay. Smart Gay people know that you have to wear them.
2) The advocates of unprotected sex have, until recently (thank God there are some voices of sanity standing up to these barebacking morons), had the space all to themselves. They use words like "no stigma" and "slut shaming" to try to silence anyone who says "condomless sex is always the wrong answer, especially in casual relationships". Have all the sex you want. Just wear a frigging condom is all I'm saying.
3) There is a wonderful drug out there that can prevent HIV infection from happening. I'm glad it exists. But it isn't cheap, it has side effects, and it provides no protection against other STD's or from odd mutations of HIV that might come out in the future. It would be great if this drug was used properly by those that fit certain risk profiles (e.g., partner who is HIV positive, drug users, etc.) but largely that drug (Truvada) is used as a replacement for condoms. The whole point of the drug is to use them in addition to condoms. That isn't happening.
4) There is a problem with drug use in our community. These people aren't responsible enough to maintain a drug regimine like PrEP. Our police and prosecutors really don't focus on clearing our communities of the people dealing poison in our community.
5) The 'no stigma' crowd is getting millions of dollars in funding from the drug companies (Gilead) in order to convince people to go on their drug. But little of that money is going towards trying convince people that you still need to wear condoms and you need to be off Tina.
6) So we now have any number of non-HIV STD's racing thru the community like its' 1977, and even worse, the HIV infection rate is going up - not down because people aren't bothering to get on the medicine before they throw away the condoms.

Many people, such as myself, refuse to take Truvada. My doctor agrees. I see no point of going on that drug and subjecting my liver and kidneys to risk if I'm going to wear a condom anyway. Its largely a drug for drug users and people who are too irresponsible to wear a condom. If my doctor tells me to go on it, I'll do so.

The response of far too many to this issue hasn't been "lets tell people to stop barebacking and using drugs", but just throw up our hands and tell everyone to go on Truvada and condemn those that say that Truvada is a party drug (which it is - in most cases). More "no stigma" BS.

Of course, many Gay people know that whatever some straight doctors group says, we know what is really going on in our community. We're on Grindr. We're on scruff. We go out to the bars. We go to Palm Springs. We see what people are actually doing. We know that the advocates of PrEP tend to be those that excuse barebacking or Tina usage. So the end result is this. Less than 10,000 Gay men are on Truvada. The WHO can scream all day long as far as I care. My doctor and I both think its a bad idea to put every sexually active Gay man on a drug if there's little benefit (and there isn't for people who wear condoms)

To be clear, the LGBT advocates you see that are advocating for marriage equality, etc., aren't usually the problems here (although Andrew Sullivan is one of the bad actors). Its a subset of the community. But its not a small subset.

Truvada, if used properly, is a potential solution to HIV. But if there's no reduction in barebacking or drug use, then the impact is going to be MORE infections. And that's what we're seeing.

The good news is that people are finally telling the 'no stigma' crowd, Gilead, bareback advocates, to STFU.

The WHO said, Gay men should consider going on the drug. Sure, I've considered it with my doctor....and my answer is "no". And its possible Gilead is 'helping' the WHO with its recommendations. I'd be real careful about rushing out to buy Gilead stock as a result of this. You're not going to see nearly as many people go on Truvada, at least initially, as you might think.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 11:23 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
07-14-2014 10:53 AM
Advertisement

Banned

Natural Selection will take its course...the enablers are just prolonging the end result and killing others all the while..
07-14-2014 11:25 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Rubbers breaking?
07-14-2014 11:29 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Tom, what I take from what you wrote is that people who engage in high risk behavior are gonna engage in high risk behavior.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 01:38 PM by Smaug.)
07-14-2014 11:35 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-14-2014 11:29 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Rubbers breaking?

Yes, that is an issue. And would be one reason why a person who reliably wears a condom should take Truvada. But there are a few issues with that. I'm taking a risk by not being on Truvada. But taking Truvada
engenders risks as well. Its a tradeoff.

You can take Truvada AFTER a condom breaks in order to prevent infection. Its called PEP. And it means basically taking Truvada for a period of a month or so. You have to be responsible enough to start taking it immediately.

If you happen to have an issue with breakage, and some of us do, its best to simply check the condom after use to ensure that it didn't break during sex. If it breaks, then go on PEP. The other thing is to make sure that the condom used actually fits (if the condom is too small, it will break much more often).

There's also a numbers game. If you're having sex with 20 people a year, then sure, go on Truvada.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 11:42 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
07-14-2014 11:38 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(07-14-2014 11:35 AM)Smaug Wrote:  Tom, what I take from what you wrote is that people who engage in high risk behavior or gonna engage in high risk behavior.

and the Sun rises in the East.
07-14-2014 11:38 AM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-14-2014 11:35 AM)Smaug Wrote:  Tom, what I take from what you wrote is that people who engage in high risk behavior or gonna engage in high risk behavior.

Yea, but what we are seeing now is that MORE people are engaging in that behavior. People that didn't do so previously. That's the problem.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 11:41 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
07-14-2014 11:39 AM
Banned

So Tom is this a societal problem or an selfish individual problem? Who is ultimately responsible...Society or the Homosexuals in Society?
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 11:56 AM by South Carolina Duke.)
07-14-2014 11:42 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(07-14-2014 11:39 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Yea, but what we are seeing now is that MORE people are engaging in that behavior. People that didn't do so previously. That's the problem.

Well, they did, saw that an epidemic was running rampant through the community and instituted draconian measures to curtain the issue. The problem with eternal vigilance though is that it is tiring. Thus a generation has come around to the conclusion that either the panic was overblown or that its not that big of a deal anymore.

It's akin to blacks and their belief that Magic Johnson doesn't have HIV anymore.
07-14-2014 11:49 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-14-2014 11:42 AM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  So Tom is this a societal problem or an selfish individual problem? Who is ultimately responsible...Society of Homosexuals in Society?

Neither. We have some morons in our community. Its not like the PnP (people who use drugs to enhance sex) crowd is really big over at the Victory Fund, the Human Rights Campaign, etc. The segment of the LGBT community that is employed in something that doesn't involve the nightclub/bathhouse, etc., that gets married, etc. isn't really the same community. I don't want to go to some 'leather' event. Its not my scene. So we did our own thing and they did theirs. We've largely accomplished our goal of changing society and they've managed their goal of having a lot of sex without condoms.

For years, it didn't present a huge problem. HIV was manageable and infection rates were stable or declining. STI's weren't even a big deal. So why focus on that? Most of the people in the 'political' scene aren't doctors. Focus on other things was the thinking. And if the situation was similar to 2002, that would be okay. But now, there's a bigger problem coming up from the nightclub scene. So we're concentrating on that a bit more right now.

Quite frankly I'd rather not get into 'sexual politics', where I'm trying to tell someone what they're doing is wrong in bed. There's an obvious reluctance to do so. But there comes a point where reluctance becomes negligance.

This problem simply has exploded in the last 12 months.
07-14-2014 11:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.