Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Uconn - ECU rivalry
BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big East
The Uconn - ECU rivalry
Got to love the work that Aresco is doing. He made a big deal about developing natural rivalries (geographic and institutional fit) and he looks like he's going to be successful in football as it's really taking off. The men's and women's basketball rivalry lags a bit but ECU is ready to step it up. One idea is some kind of trophy that is given at the conclusion of each game.

Present it at the end, carry/parade the trophy around the court/field at halftime. Maybe call it the Colonial Trophy, get the governors involved.

Make sure the media stays involved like they have been. Twitter wars, fan involvement. Get and keep the party started.
07-12-2014 11:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PuddlePirate Online
1st String

I Root For: inorganic groceries
RE: The Uconn - ECU rivalry
(07-12-2014 11:08 AM)BE4evah Wrote:  Got to love the work that Aresco is doing. He made a big deal about developing natural rivalries (geographic and institutional fit) and he looks like he's going to be successful in football as it's really taking off. The men's and women's basketball rivalry lags a bit but ECU is ready to step it up. One idea is some kind of trophy that is given at the conclusion of each game.

Present it at the end, carry/parade the trophy around the court/field at halftime. Maybe call it the Colonial Trophy, get the governors involved.

Make sure the media stays involved like they have been. Twitter wars, fan involvement. Get and keep the party started.

Huh?
07-12-2014 11:17 AM
Chesapeake_Pirate Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: East Carolina
I'm an ECU fan and we look forward to developing great rivalries with all schools in the AAC. Some are very familar to us and some, like UCONN, are not. Our previous football coach Skip Holtz also coached at UCONN. Our previous alumni association president had a solid prior experience at UCONN. Not sure what you are talking about regarding a trophy for any game involving ECU and UCONN. That seems odd and out of any context I can imagine.
07-12-2014 11:18 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(07-12-2014 11:18 AM)Chesapeake_Pirate Wrote:  I'm an ECU fan and we look forward to developing great rivalries with all schools in the AAC. Some are very familar to us and some, like UCONN, are not. Our previous football coach Skip Holtz also coached at UCONN. Our previous alumni association president had a solid prior experience at UCONN. Not sure what you are talking about regarding a trophy for any game involving ECU and UCONN. That seems odd and out of any context I can imagine.

The Big East douches are obsessed with ECU.

The funniest thing is that the UCONN-ECU game ratings will likely double the Georgetown-Creighton "rivalry" ratings... And it may very likely beat Georgetown-Nova in the ratings as well...

Its too bad that nbe fans don't have much to do for 3/4ths of the year.
07-12-2014 11:48 AM
DfromCT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Tulane
As someone who lives (and has so for most of my life) in CT, and am somewhat of a UConn fan, AND having lived in NC and followed the Pirates since the year 1980, I have ZERO idea what this thread is about. There's absolutely nothing natural about a rivalry between these two schools.

One is the flagship university for the State of Connecticut. The other is a directional university in North Carolina. One is ranked 57th in the nation among all Universities, the other #181. Among Public Universities, one is ranked #19, the other #101. One wins regularly on the basketball court, the other not very often. ECU may actually have more tradition in football, but UConn has come a long way (and then had a terrible coaching hire) in a short time. Skip Holtz coached UConn in the days it was part of D1a or FBS as it's now known.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2014 12:48 PM by DfromCT.)
07-12-2014 12:43 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
Pandora's box has been opened.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2014 01:01 PM by ncbeta.)
07-12-2014 01:00 PM
Advertisement

Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
only 600 miles apart, could definitely become a rivalry01-wingedeagle
07-12-2014 01:28 PM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
The Uconn - ECU rivalry
I would like Memphis to build a rivalry with UCONN but I realize it will be tough in football. I think we were off to a decent start in basketball last year......even though they kicked our ass.
07-12-2014 01:31 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(07-12-2014 01:28 PM)Stookey57 Wrote:  only 600 miles apart, could definitely become a rivalry01-wingedeagle

A rivalry would be dependent on both schools being very successful and providing a stumbling block for the other school... not necessarily geography..

That said, this is obviously a Big East troll looking to make you jump to your tippie toes by grabbing your pubes. And, you just jumped...
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2014 02:33 PM by BigEastHomer.)
07-12-2014 02:30 PM
upstater1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(07-12-2014 02:30 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 01:28 PM)Stookey57 Wrote:  only 600 miles apart, could definitely become a rivalry01-wingedeagle

A rivalry would be dependent on both schools being very successful and providing a stumbling block for the other school... not necessarily geography..

That said, this is obviously a Big East troll looking to make you jump to your tippie toes by grabbing your pubes. And, you just jumped...

It's going to be incredibly hard to build rivalries. 3 decades of games against Pitt for UConn basketball. In the last 15 year,s the games were rugged and highly contested, and as often they were for the conference championship. Yet now, no one even misses these games. In hindsight, it wasn't a rivalry.

Most fans outside the old BE would probably not even realize that UConn's biggest bball rival was St. John's, while the biggest football rival was Rutgers (though it would have been BC had they stayed).

Rivalries can't be manufactured. The B1G tried to make Michigan St. into Penn State's rival. And then they gave up on that idea about a decade after trying to force it.
07-12-2014 03:09 PM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
(07-12-2014 03:09 PM)upstater1 Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 02:30 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

It's going to be incredibly hard to build rivalries. 3 decades of games against Pitt for UConn basketball. In the last 15 year,s the games were rugged and highly contested, and as often they were for the conference championship. Yet now, no one even misses these games. In hindsight, it wasn't a rivalry.

Most fans outside the old BE would probably not even realize that UConn's biggest bball rival was St. John's, while the biggest football rival was Rutgers (though it would have been BC had they stayed).

Rivalries can't be manufactured. The B1G tried to make Michigan St. into Penn State's rival. And then they gave up on that idea about a decade after trying to force it.
nope our biggest bb rival was Syracuse and our fb rival was indeed Rutgers, there were some great games in both fb and bb.
I was at those UConn bc fb games an they were pretty electric, one in particular was the 2nd bc game when UConn had dan orlofsky, I was there with my bc buddy in boston, bc thought they would romp UConn and boy were they in for a surprise.

bc won by 8 an that was because dan o turned it over in the end, I had my UConn hat on an this a hole firefighter sittin behind me was putting his knees in my back and we almost had it out, definitely jealousy over UConn bb domination. could have been a great rivalry, but bc left and went for the money.......

from 2001 till syracues left we lost two games to the cues and they hated it, UConn football was pretty good and the state and school is commited to football success..........
07-12-2014 03:43 PM
Advertisement

PIRATE TERP Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU / MARYLAND
just for the 05-mafia of it ... I'm thinkin that ECU-UCF and/or ECU_CINN are going to develop into very nice rivalry type games in football ... all based on fan comments and previous game histories etc ... basketball is an unknown because ECU needs to step it up big time which I think they are in the process of doing ... Lebo is quietly assembling a very good model to grow 05-stirthepot ...
07-12-2014 04:06 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
I seem to remember some good uconn-Temple football games in the recent past.

That said, if uconn was really focused on geographical rivals then they'd be umass's biggest champion... Which they aren't..

Both SMU and Houston lost decades of tradition with their former SWC brethren. I don't feel bad for UCONN who just started playing football. As for Hoops, there is nothing to feel sorry there either.
07-12-2014 04:51 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(07-12-2014 04:51 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  I seem to remember some good uconn-Temple football games in the recent past.

That said, if uconn was really focused on geographical rivals then they'd be umass's biggest champion... Which they aren't..

Both SMU and Houston lost decades of tradition with their former SWC brethren. I don't feel bad for UCONN who just started playing football. As for Hoops, there is nothing to feel sorry there either.

let me put it this way, if you are missing RUTGERS football, than you should feel thankful that you actually have the rest of your life to become educated on GOOD football...

Rutgers is not Texas, A&M, Arkansas, etc, etc, etc...
07-12-2014 04:56 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(07-12-2014 12:43 PM)DfromCT Wrote:  As someone who lives (and has so for most of my life) in CT, and am somewhat of a UConn fan, AND having lived in NC and followed the Pirates since the year 1980, I have ZERO idea what this thread is about. There's absolutely nothing natural about a rivalry between these two schools.

One is the flagship university for the State of Connecticut. The other is a directional university in North Carolina. One is ranked 57th in the nation among all Universities, the other #181. Among Public Universities, one is ranked #19, the other #101. One wins regularly on the basketball court, the other not very often. ECU may actually have more tradition in football, but UConn has come a long way (and then had a terrible coaching hire) in a short time. Skip Holtz coached UConn in the days it was part of D1a or FBS as it's now known.

You seem just as much a troll as the OP
07-12-2014 05:02 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(07-12-2014 05:02 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 12:43 PM)DfromCT Wrote:  As someone who lives (and has so for most of my life) in CT, and am somewhat of a UConn fan, AND having lived in NC and followed the Pirates since the year 1980, I have ZERO idea what this thread is about. There's absolutely nothing natural about a rivalry between these two schools.

"Somewhat of a UCONN fan"... Lmao.

So you are somewhat fanatical...lololol. Troll logic indeed
07-12-2014 05:47 PM
Advertisement

Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

Re: RE: The Uconn - ECU rivalry
(07-12-2014 05:47 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Did I miss something this guy did outside this thread? His whole post was factual and good evidence there is no natural rivalry. I don't get the troll come backs. He didn't give ECU as much football cred maybe?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
07-12-2014 05:54 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
Great thread.
07-12-2014 06:00 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(07-12-2014 05:54 PM)Hank Schrader Wrote:  

Did I miss something this guy did outside this thread? His whole post was factual and good evidence there is no natural rivalry. I don't get the troll come backs. He didn't give ECU as much football cred maybe?

I'd say pissing on their academics and inferring that ECU's name is undesirable is a little beyond passive aggressive on the flaming meter.

Of course, it would be acceptable coming from the opposite direction. I'm not an ECU fan and I even recognize the troll.
07-12-2014 06:26 PM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

Re: RE: The Uconn - ECU rivalry
(07-12-2014 06:26 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 05:54 PM)Hank Schrader Wrote:  

I'd say pissing on their academics and inferring that ECU's name is undesirable is a little beyond passive aggressive on the flaming meter.

Of course, it would be acceptable coming from the opposite direction. I'm not an ECU fan and I even recognize the troll.

He posted stats with very little objective opinion. It doesn't matter though the real troll, the op, wins again.

07-12-2014 06:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.