Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Suit & Purple Ties; New Roster Photos - JMU FB
Bookmark and Share
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Perhaps this has already been commented upon in another thread, but has anyone noticed that all of the player photos posted on the new JMU sports website for the FB roster display our guys wearing dark suits, white shirts and purple ties?

It's a simple thing, and perhaps meaningless in the larger picture where success in measured in Ws and Ls, but there is no doubt it is also another indication of the changes brought to JMU FB by Coach Withers.

So, my question to the peanut gallery is...do we like the idea of having the team wearing shirts and ties in the team photos, and by extension, as they travel to road games? Is it too stuffy and a throw back to an out-of-date earlier time, or is it a nice touch to build team unity and a professional identity on and off the field?
07-12-2014 10:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

It's a matter of discipline and team-oriented focus IMO. I like it. Games at the FCS level can be won based on discipline and smart play as much as individual physical talent. I like that EW seems to be setting that tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-12-2014 10:52 AM
Rock House Duke Offline
1st String

I love it. A classy touch by EW.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
07-12-2014 10:56 AM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

RE: Suit & Purple Ties; New Roster Photos - JMU FB
Looking way too deep into this . all long as everyone is wearing the same attire I don't care. FSU has been wearing suit and ties forever , but their players still end up in newspaper for wrongdoings. When traveling which is more comfortable for your 300 pound lineman on a plane or bus , a three piece suit with Tie, or an JMU issued nike team apparel microfiber sweatsuit? Just preference.
07-12-2014 11:04 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
I did notice because it made me chuckle that some of the guys have no idea how to tie a tie. As far as traveling to road games, hell no. They'll be in their sweats. You don't put guys on a several hour bus ride in a suit. That would be stupid.
07-12-2014 11:11 AM
DolleyMadison Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
(07-12-2014 11:04 AM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  Looking way too deep into this . all long as everyone is wearing the same attire I don't care. FSU has been wearing suit and ties forever , but their players still end up in newspaper for wrongdoings. When traveling which is more comfortable for your 300 pound lineman on a plane or bus , a three piece suit with Tie, or an JMU issued nike team apparel microfiber sweatsuit? Just preference.

No one is looking "way too deep into this." This is a thread of a bunch of people expressing their appreciation of the new look. I believe you're the one reading too much into this. No one has commented, or even hinted, that wearing suits somehow will prevent players from being normal 18-22 yr olds.
07-12-2014 12:11 PM
Advertisement

jmusuperfan Offline
All American

Dress for success!

07-12-2014 12:20 PM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

Nice change, I like the look.....

However, it would have been nice if some adult taught the players how to tie a tie.
07-12-2014 12:22 PM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

(07-12-2014 12:11 PM)DolleyMadison Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 11:04 AM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  Looking way too deep into this . all long as everyone is wearing the same attire I don't care. FSU has been wearing suit and ties forever , but their players still end up in newspaper for wrongdoings. When traveling which is more comfortable for your 300 pound lineman on a plane or bus , a three piece suit with Tie, or an JMU issued nike team apparel microfiber sweatsuit? Just preference.

No one is looking "way too deep into this." This is a thread of a bunch of people expressing their appreciation of the new look. I believe you're the one reading too much into this. No one has commented, or even hinted, that wearing suits somehow will prevent players from being normal 18-22 yr olds.
Did you read the second post ? And this was talked about before in another post. People have started to speak on what a suit and tie signifies and what this will do for the team. I merely stated my opinion , I don't disagree with the clothing change.
07-12-2014 12:49 PM
mistrhanky Offline
2nd String

As long as we wear purple on homecoming, I could care less

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2014 01:22 PM by mistrhanky.)
07-12-2014 01:21 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm agree that it doesn't hurt, but it's also not a big deal. If EW wants them to look professional, then great. I hope it translates into focus, no off the field nonsense, and most importantly wins.
07-12-2014 01:29 PM
Advertisement

jmusuperfan Offline
All American

We should all do the same. Take a new profile picture in white shirt with suit coat and purple tie.

Go dukes

07-12-2014 02:16 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

Basically the same thread as a few weeks ago. Yes, I like it. No, not even EW could get me to wear a suit on a long bus trip. I am pretty sure EW will apply some common sense. I'm not so sure that there weren't a half dozen or so jackets, shirts, and ties and basically the players grabbed one that fit for the purpose of these pictures. Go down the list and look at the big boys. No jacket and tie, just a polo.
07-12-2014 04:04 PM
JMU Offline
All American

I like it. Should have been done a long time ago.
07-12-2014 04:11 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Nice move. Kinda like the broken window theory.

Look sharp, play sharp!
07-12-2014 05:11 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

Sometimes its the little things. That's certainly how I see this. I think it's great. I think it promotes professionalism in all aspects... even just a simple player photograph.
07-12-2014 07:18 PM
Advertisement

Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
I like it.
07-12-2014 07:24 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

I like it as well.
07-13-2014 08:37 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(07-12-2014 10:52 AM)brizzock Wrote:  It's a matter of discipline and team-oriented focus IMO. I like it. Games at the FCS level can be won based on discipline and smart play as much as individual physical talent. I like that EW seems to be setting that tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDSU doesn't do it, and they appear to have been the most disciplined, team oriented success team in I-AA the last 3 seasons:
http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?path=football

The team in the CAA that does the mostest with the leastest, and is probably the most disciplined in the CAA, UNH, doesn't do it.
http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/fball/2014-15/roster
07-13-2014 11:40 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

The only thing I like about it is its a little old school, and I like old school. You look at teams back in the day with old school coaches like Bear Bryant and you didn't see a bunch of long hair, tats, and piercings. And they woe coats and ties.

Does it make a difference? Probably not. Like I sited above, neither NDSU or UNH do it. The only way to tell whether or not would be to looke up the rosters of all 120ish I-AA teams, compile a list of teams that do it and teams that don't, and compare average records.

It can't hurt though. Ultimately I don't care what they wear as long as they win.
07-13-2014 11:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.