RE: Yellowstone road melts
No good.
07-11-2014 05:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
That article implies that the 80° temperatures are aiding in the liquifying of asphalt.

I guess my kitchen light helps the stove burner bring to boil a pot water.
07-11-2014 06:10 AM
EpicNiner Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
(07-11-2014 06:10 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  That article implies that the 80° temperatures are aiding in the liquifying of asphalt.

Yeah, I saw that and thought it was weird as well.
07-11-2014 07:30 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
80 there must be hotter than 80 here where I live. I haven't seen any liquified asphalt here and it's been 95 already for several days. Maybe they should use better asphalt.
07-11-2014 08:05 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
80 degree temps do not melt asphalt. Either they are hiring a contractor that is cutting corners on quality or lava is involved.
07-11-2014 08:13 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
It's melting from the geothermal activity below the ground. Lower ambient air temperatures tend to bleed off a few degrees from the ground temp but the 80 degree air isn't cooling as normal.

I was at Yellowstone in October and the air temp was about 40 and you could feel the heat through your shoes when walking on the bare ground in some places. That's why they have boardwalks throughout the active areas.

As an aside, I always wondered why we didn't do more research on geothermal energy. I believe that Iceland generates most of their home heating from geothermal. Probably because unless the activity is close to the surface, you'd have to drill down thousands of feet to get a significant temperature gradient to effectively boil water for a steam generator.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2014 08:16 AM by QuestionSocratic.)
07-11-2014 08:13 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
Oh man, this isn't good... They sound like Al Gore by blaming the temps for melted roads but nobody is buying it. If I were near this place, I'd be shuffling out of there, and fast.

Read the comments on the story.
07-11-2014 08:29 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Well, that sort of thing is expected to happen every now and then when one builds on top of a gigantic volcano.
07-11-2014 08:55 AM
Advertisement

ODUgradstudent Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
(07-11-2014 06:10 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  That article implies that the 80° temperatures are aiding in the liquifying of asphalt.

[Image: coffee.jpg]

for the answer...

http://www.physicscentral.com/explore/poster-coffee.cfm
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2014 09:33 AM by ODUgradstudent.)
07-11-2014 09:33 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
The story itself made zero sense. 80 degree weather doesn't melt asphalt. It's likely a new geyser forming, which happens all the time in Yellowstone's geological record. I looked at the past 34 hrs of seismic activity and I didn't notice any earthquakes, of significance. Once we see this thing have earthquake swarms of 5.0 or greater on a regular basis and the deformation rises in feet per day, I'm not sweating Yellowstone. What I'm really intrigued by is by a possible pole switch. The earth's magnetic field is weakening at a faster pace than geologist though. That in itself could create volcanism and earthquakes around the planet.
07-11-2014 09:39 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(07-11-2014 09:33 AM)ODUgradstudent Wrote:  

[Image: coffee.jpg]

for the answer...

http://www.physicscentral.com/explore/poster-coffee.cfm

Long before that the wife would either give up and heat up the coffee for you, or throw it in your face - in either case ending the experiment.
07-11-2014 09:40 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(07-11-2014 09:39 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  The story itself made zero sense. 80 degree weather doesn't melt asphalt. It's likely a new geyser forming, which happens all the time in Yellowstone's geological record. I looked at the past 34 hrs of seismic activity and I didn't notice any earthquakes, of significance. Once we see this thing have earthquake swarms of 5.0 or greater on a regular basis and the deformation rises in feet per day, I'm not sweating Yellowstone. What I'm really intrigued by is by a possible pole switch. The earth's magnetic field is weakening at a faster pace than geologist though. That in itself could create volcanism and earthquakes around the planet.

Didn't the story say it was happening on a 3.3 mile stretch?
07-11-2014 10:07 AM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(07-11-2014 10:07 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 09:39 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  The story itself made zero sense. 80 degree weather doesn't melt asphalt. It's likely a new geyser forming, which happens all the time in Yellowstone's geological record. I looked at the past 34 hrs of seismic activity and I didn't notice any earthquakes, of significance. Once we see this thing have earthquake swarms of 5.0 or greater on a regular basis and the deformation rises in feet per day, I'm not sweating Yellowstone. What I'm really intrigued by is by a possible pole switch. The earth's magnetic field is weakening at a faster pace than geologist though. That in itself could create volcanism and earthquakes around the planet.

I read it as it happened on a section of a 3.3 mile loop.

Quote:However, the damage to Firehole Lake Drive is unusually severe and could take several days to fix. The 3.3-mile loop six miles north of Old Faithful takes visitors past Great Fountain Geyser, White Dome Geyser and Firehole Lake.
07-11-2014 10:14 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(07-11-2014 10:14 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 10:07 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  

I read it as it happened on a section of a 3.3 mile loop.

Quote:However, the damage to Firehole Lake Drive is unusually severe and could take several days to fix. The 3.3-mile loop six miles north of Old Faithful takes visitors past Great Fountain Geyser, White Dome Geyser and Firehole Lake.

Yeah I didn't know what they were talking about... You can't really trust Yoohoo writers... At any rate, I'd be planning to GTFO there... If this happens all the time though, this particular incident wouldn't really be a story...
07-11-2014 10:17 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
It happens all the time on a geological scale, not on our scale. Geologist been studying Yellowstone for maybe 100 years and intensively for about 40 years.

What's your first thought's after looking at this seismic chart from today? http://www.isthisthingon.org/Yellowstone...071100.gif
07-11-2014 10:24 AM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
Here is an image of what they are talking about.
[Image: 1405024240000-AP-Yellowstone-Hot-Road.jpg]
07-11-2014 10:26 AM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Looks like the roads in South Carolina.
07-11-2014 01:28 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
(07-11-2014 01:28 PM)Niner National Wrote:  Looks like the roads in South Carolina.

If there was actual holes the size of your front tire, it would be Oklahoma. 04-cheers
07-12-2014 12:52 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
What happened to the roads that lead to Spirit Lake in the crater of Mt. St. Hellens?
07-12-2014 02:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.