Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WiscNews.com: Gary Andersen onboard with possibility of 10-game Big Ten schedule
Bookmark and Share
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
WiscNews.com: Gary Andersen onboard with possibility of 10-game Big Ten schedule
http://www.wiscnews.com/sports/columnist...e8361.html

Even though he admits that it makes it very difficult if not impossible to have interesting intersectional OOC games.
07-10-2014 06:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
RE: WiscNews.com: Gary Andersen onboard with possibility of 10-game Big Ten schedule
It was seriously talked about when they went to 9, but the need for 7 home games put a halt to it.

Personally, I'm for it even if it means zero major out of conference opponents. You should be playing every conference member at least 50% of the time (and really more than that).
07-10-2014 10:45 PM
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
RE: WiscNews.com: Gary Andersen onboard with possibility of 10-game Big Ten schedule
If this goes down, which I am skeptical about, it would hurt the 4 newest members more than than the originals. The originals basically have all of their rivals save Notre Dame in conference. In order to boost competitiveness for the new playoff & give fans more driveable away games, my guess is that Penn State, Rutgers, and Maryland would probably want to schedule as many eastern rivals as possible. Similarly Nebraska would probably want to schedule old Big 8 rivals as many of them are closer than their closest B1G rival in Iowa.

The only way this works is if 1) Everybody bascially goes to 6 homes games to allow for home/away with solid competition, or 2) No real OOC games of consequence are on the schedule so everyone can get to 7 home games.

Another thought is that they have increased the projections for the new contract to say... 50M per team per year. Allowing the loss of home game revenue to be made up with TV revenue.
07-11-2014 11:38 AM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

It won't happen (not at this point anyway). I think you need the economics or overall structure of college football to change before it's possible. Until then, I'm just hoping like mad they drop divisions when/if a rule change comes (sadly I don't think they will).
07-11-2014 08:57 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
The only way it happens is if we move to a 13 game regular season, not conference tournament, schedule. That is possible when autonomy happens but it will not be one of the first changes made.
07-13-2014 01:29 PM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

(07-13-2014 01:29 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  The only way it happens is if we move to a 13 game regular season, not conference tournament, schedule. That is possible when autonomy happens but it will not be one of the first changes made.

Possible down the road, but I agree it's not in the cards anytime soon. 12 games isn't that old and there is more and more critisim (and pressure) over treating athletes as employees vs. students. The number of games for national champions will now be 15 quite often with several againt high level competition. They will not be willing to add another game at this point.
07-14-2014 04:26 PM
He1nousOne Offline

(07-14-2014 04:26 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  
(07-13-2014 01:29 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  The only way it happens is if we move to a 13 game regular season, not conference tournament, schedule. That is possible when autonomy happens but it will not be one of the first changes made.

Possible down the road, but I agree it's not in the cards anytime soon. 12 games isn't that old and there is more and more critisim (and pressure) over treating athletes as employees vs. students. The number of games for national champions will now be 15 quite often with several againt high level competition. They will not be willing to add another game at this point.

The prerequisite will be for the new Council of Major Conferences to pass whatever they are going to pass in regards to further benefits for student athletes. When they feel they have passed over the threshold of public favorable opinion, they will then feel like they can expand their regular season without too much flak for it due to the athletes being treated better than ever before.
07-14-2014 11:34 PM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

Personally I think we are at 12 unless/until they feel absolutely desperate for money. I think that will come, but it might be a while.
07-15-2014 12:18 AM
He1nousOne Offline

They are always desperate for more money.
07-15-2014 10:15 PM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

(07-15-2014 10:15 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  They are always desperate for more money.

Yes, but there are different degrees of it. There is large potential pushback in terms of lawsuits and a growing movement for the players. There is also genuine concern for the student-athletes.

It will take a lot more than current situations to push anyone to put their neck out on the line for 13 games.
07-15-2014 11:19 PM
He1nousOne Offline

Conference tournaments will happen first. So by no means am I saying an extended regular season is right around the corner but eventually it will happen.
07-16-2014 08:22 AM
ohio1317 Offline

(07-16-2014 08:22 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Conference tournaments will happen first. So by no means am I saying an extended regular season is right around the corner but eventually it will happen.

My personal guess (not what I want, but my believe) is that things stay as is for about a decade. At that point, we'll start to get talk among the major 5 conferences of a semi-merger. The discussions will not be for a full merger, but for the 5 conferences to be united in football for one national league with one TV contract. The existing conference structures would be used for other sports, but the football set-up would be transformed into 4 conferences of 2 divisions each (at which point semi-finals might or might not come). The talks might succeed or fail, but I think we'll be to the point that will be considered.

Note: If semi-finals are ever discussed (either in the current framework or one like the one like the above), I think they'll do it with the two division set-up and not a 4 division set-up. The winners of each division would be in and so would 2 wild cards. The divisions themselves might rotate however.
07-16-2014 09:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.