Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cincinnati Will Be Key to Success for Ohio State's 2016 Recruiting Class
Bookmark and Share
BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
Cincinnati Will Be Key to Success for Ohio State's 2016 Recruiting Class
http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state...ting-class

Not a specific recruiting forum discussion, but more about what can be done to start
turning these kids to UC. Can't we begin to protect our home turf?

"Ohio State Football Recruiting,.Email this Article Share on Google+ Share on Twitter 15 Share on Facebook 29 Comments When five-star linebacker Justin Hilliard decided to commit to Ohio State over Notre Dame and a host of other schools, the Buckeyes took a big step forward with their recruiting efforts in Cincinnati.
With Hilliard and 2014 signee (and four-star athlete) Sam Hubbard, Urban Meyer has two second Cincinnati pledges since taking over the helm in Columbus. Meyer has stated that recruiting the area is a priority for his staff. Our Kyle Rowland wrote about Cincinnati becoming Ohio State territory under Meyer on Friday.
While Ohio State has landed Cincinnati's top prospect in the past two recruiting classes, Meyer and staff have also missed on a few Queen City prospects. Before Hilliard's commitment last week, the Buckeyes missed out on the two other Cincinnati-area prospects with an OSU offer.
Cincinnati Moeller four-star defensive tackle Elijah Taylor held offers from the likes of Cincinnati, Duke, Florida State, Illinois, Kentucky, Notre Dame, Miami(FL), Michigan State, Ohio State, Tennessee and West Virginia. At first most thought the Buckeyes had a good shot at landing Taylor, but he eventually committed to Notre Dame.
Three-star offensive tackle Noah Listermann of Winton Woods also spurned Ohio State's offer. Just a few days before he was set to select Michigan State, Listermann was offered by the Buckeyes. While he was very interested, Ohio State simply offered him too late in the process. The 6-foot-7, 293-pound prospect also held offers from Cincinnati, Connecticut, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Rutgers, Toledo, Virginia and Wisconsin.
In the previous recruiting class, Ohio State went one for two in Cincinnati. While the Buckeyes managed to land Sam Hubbard, they missed out on four-star wide receiver Derek Kief.
Early in the process, many Ohio State insiders penciled the 6-foot-5, 197-pounder in the Buckeyes' 2014 recruiting class. After the LaSalle product took a visit to Alabama, the crystal ball quickly shifted to favor the Crimson Tide. Shortly after an unofficial visit to Tuscaloosa, Kief committed to Nick Saban and Alabama over Ohio State.
With a loaded class of 2016, Cincinnati will be a priority for the Buckeyes. According to 247Sports' composite rankings, Ohio's top two prospects hail from the Queen City. Two other Cincinnati natives made the top 16.
Not only is Elder's Tommy Kraemer one of the best prospects in Ohio, he is the 16th overall ranked prospect in the nation. The 6-foot-5, 305-pound offensive tackle has named a top five of Boston College, Duke, Northwestern, Notre Dame and Ohio State.
The Buckeyes and the Fighting Irish are Kraemer's perceived favorites, but Michigan could instantly move up his list if they decide to offer. While his crystal ball heavily favors Ohio State, his recruitment is far from over.
Four-star defensive end Prince Sammons of Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy originally named Michigan his leader, but a recent Ohio State offer led him to name the Buckeyes his new leader. The 6-foot-8, 260-pound prospect checks in as the nation's 36th-ranked prospect.
Following OSU's prospect camp in June, Sammons named a top two of Ohio State and Duke. He also holds offers from Cincinnati, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville, Tennessee and Toledo.
The Buckeyes have had only a few setbacks on the recruiting trail since Urban Meyer took over. Two recurring complaints could be the struggle to recruit a top tight end recruit and the recruiting of Cincinnati. Four-star tight end Jake Hausmann of Cincinnati Moeller could address both of those concerns.
Hausmann checks in as the nation's 107th-overall ranked prospect and third-ranked tight end. The 6-foot-5, 235-pounder tight end has the ability to block and be a pass catching threat.
He holds offers from Boston College, Cincinnati, Florida State, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin. The Buckeyes are the perceived favorite.
Loveland's Jake Saunders is the next best prospect from Cincinnati. He is considered to be a high three-star talent. Saunders doesn't have an offer from Ohio State, but he visited Columbus for a spring practice. The 6-foot-3, 275-pound defensive tackle does have an offer from Illinois.
While the Buckeyes have had some struggles recruiting Cincinnati in the past, that isn't stopping them from focusing on some of the area's top 2016 prospects. It's only the summer, but Ohio State is sitting in a good position to pull Kraemer, Sammons and Hausmann out of Cincinnati."

07-10-2014 03:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dossbig Offline
1st String

I Root For: CINCINNATI
RE: Cincinnati Will Be Key to Success for Ohio State's 2016 Recruiting Class
Why is this to$u crap on here?

07-10-2014 03:35 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
It does highlight local talent, it is on topic.

07-10-2014 03:40 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(07-10-2014 03:31 PM)BearcatBeta Wrote:  http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state...ting-class

Can't we begin to protect our home turf?

We've never been able to, at least not with the elite local talent. I don't really see that changing especially with the conference situation.

07-10-2014 03:58 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think ND leads for Kraemer not OSU

07-10-2014 04:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

Was listening to Rick Neuheisel on College Sports Radio and had an interesting take on recruiting and 4-5 star players
and Texas. He said sometimes you get a little a little lazy, even at Texas, and kids get the high star rankings and they commit too
fast to the Blue Blood programs, and what the coaches don't look at or recruit is toughness. They look good in the uniform but do they have the motor? I am more than happy to get the guys like JK, Celek, Byrd, Goody, from greater Cincy.

07-10-2014 06:34 PM
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Even though this about tO$U, and the kids in Cincinnati, shouldn't it be in the recruiting board?

07-10-2014 06:39 PM
BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
(07-10-2014 06:39 PM)ctipton Wrote:  Even though this about tO$U, and the kids in Cincinnati, shouldn't it be in the recruiting board?

Premise of post:
Not a specific recruiting forum discussion, but more about what can be done to start
turning these kids to UC. Can't we begin to protect our home turf?

07-10-2014 06:51 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Ohio State, Michigan, and Notre Dame all have stronger historical claims to "owning" recruiting in Cincinnati than UC.
Then comes Michigan State, Boston College, and Louisville.
Finally, bringing up the rear, recently, is UK.

And as long as UC is in the American, that gap will grow. I'm not sure there is much we can do on that front.

The good news is that there is enough talent so that picking up the scraps isn't too bad.

07-10-2014 07:35 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
I think fla three stars are better than cincy four stars

07-10-2014 07:40 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(07-10-2014 07:40 PM)rosewater Wrote:  I think fla three stars are better than cincy four stars

this idea has been proposed before....it does seem to have some truth, idk

07-10-2014 08:21 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(07-10-2014 07:35 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  Ohio State, Michigan, and Notre Dame all have stronger historical claims to "owning" recruiting in Cincinnati than UC.
Then comes Michigan State, Boston College, and Louisville.
Finally, bringing up the rear, recently, is UK.

And as long as UC is in the American, that gap will grow. I'm not sure there is much we can do on that front.

The good news is that there is enough talent so that picking up the scraps isn't too bad.

Not the case so far Jerry. And the gap never got smaller with BK, CBJ either.
You guys get so caught up in the offer sheet and not the end product. The gap is no different from the Big East to the American.

07-10-2014 09:20 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(07-10-2014 03:58 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 03:31 PM)BearcatBeta Wrote:  http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state...ting-class

Can't we begin to protect our home turf?

We've never been able to, at least not with the elite local talent. I don't really see that changing especially with the conference situation.

It certainly won't change overnight but if we keep gradually building the UC brand in terms of consistently...winning, selling out games in a renovated on-campus stadium, recruiting better players with more depth at every position, and in lieu of changing conferences, becoming one of the more dominant teams of the G5 then I think we will land some elite local talent. CTT strongly values trying to recruit within 100 miles of campus in addition to working other states. Case in point, from CTT when he first arrived last year:

Quote:There’s no bigger opportunity for recruiting than the immediate area that you live in. I did the same thing at Ole Miss, at Auburn and at Texas Tech. I hired a local guy that was a high school guy who knew the coaches in the area, who knew the lay of the land, because we had no clue. Every day we talk about different high schools in the area because if we’re going to have success here the majority of it is going to come from 100 miles from here.

A lot of it, when you’re in a city like this where we have probably 30-40 schools within 10 miles of here, you’re not going to get them all but you’ve got to do your homework. There are going to be some players that we take from the high schools that a lot of people are going to wonder why we took that guy but we’re going to know a lot more about him because we’re going to have had him in our camps, we’re going to have watched him play and we’re going to be able to watch him grow up. We’re going to be able to have good input from coaches that we see all of the time at events.

That’s how Miami was made. The University of Miami made it off of players that were 10 miles from their campus. The advantage that you have at a place like Miami and Cincinnati is you have the ability to be around players a lot more. Recruiting is like rolling the dice and the farther away you go from your campus the less time you have to spend with players in terms of being able to watch them grow up, be around them, get them to your games or go to their games, see them in basketball, see them run track. The farther away you go the harder it is to evaluate them.

To me, we need to keep finding recruits that fly under the radar from local area schools (remember one Columbus-based Isaiah Pead) that can develop into a great player to show UC is capable of attracting and developing local talent.

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2014 09:30 PM by UCGrad1992.)
07-10-2014 09:28 PM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
People don't care about staying home. It really doesn't have that much to with tOSU, Cincy, or anyone else. It's simply not a factor for kids choosing a college IMO.

07-11-2014 06:48 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
As long as Tubs and co. continue to get the type of talent they have landed from Florida, Georgia, Virginia, Alabama and across Ohio the past couple years I will be happy. The bluechips from St. X and Moeller don't want to come here anyway, let them go off to the B10 country and enjoy letting their parents and friends drive 2-4 hours away to watch them play.

07-11-2014 07:33 AM
Dannyboy Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
(07-11-2014 06:48 AM)uccheese Wrote:  People don't care about staying home. It really doesn't have that much to with tOSU, Cincy, or anyone else. It's simply not a factor for kids choosing a college IMO.

For the most part I agree, although some kids like to stay "close" to home. Close enough to drive back home for long weekends and such. That's what my nephew did.

As for recruiting in general, TT is bringing in a lot of 3 stars, which will keep us running strong for quite some time. 3 star talent + good coaching = success in the American.

07-11-2014 08:33 AM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(07-11-2014 08:33 AM)Dannyboy Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 06:48 AM)uccheese Wrote:  People don't care about staying home. It really doesn't have that much to with tOSU, Cincy, or anyone else. It's simply not a factor for kids choosing a college IMO.

For the most part I agree, although some kids like to stay "close" to home. Close enough to drive back home for long weekends and such. That's what my nephew did.

As for recruiting in general, TT is bringing in a lot of 3 stars, which will keep us running strong for quite some time. 3 star talent + good coaching = success in the American.

In terms of UC's recruiting success, we'll take good players ultimately no matter where they come from. Let's think outside the box for a minute. The thread asked how Cincinnati can begin to attract local talent so a kid picks UC instead of OSU, ND or Meeeshegan. The greater Cincinnati area is fertile recruiting grounds and if an occasional elite local prospect chooses UC over these other schools then I would say that is further evidence that UC is building it's program and brand to higher levels. Just because elite local kids have never given UC a second glance does not mean that it can't be done. I believe CTT knows what he is doing and it will happen. C'mon, wouldn't you love to see an article in the paper that says 4 star/5 star Jimmy Doe chooses to stay home and play for the Bearcats over taking offers from OSU and ND? I would!

07-11-2014 09:01 AM
eroc Online
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(07-11-2014 09:01 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 08:33 AM)Dannyboy Wrote:  

In terms of UC's recruiting success, we'll take good players ultimately no matter where they come from. Let's think outside the box for a minute. The thread asked how Cincinnati can begin to attract local talent so a kid picks UC instead of OSU, ND or Meeeshegan. The greater Cincinnati area is fertile recruiting grounds and if an occasional elite local prospect chooses UC over these other schools then I would say that is further evidence that UC is building it's program and brand to higher levels. Just because elite local kids have never given UC a second glance does not mean that it can't be done. I believe CTT knows what he is doing and it will happen. C'mon, wouldn't you love to see an article in the paper that says 4 star/5 star Jimmy Doe chooses to stay home and play for the Bearcats over taking offers from OSU and ND? I would!

Count me in the camp that takes the best available regardless of origin. Obviously, i would love to keep as many blue chips as possible from Cincy/OH, especially with Cincy being fairly fertile recruiting grounds on a perennial basis, but the reality of the matter is that we haven't been able to so far and i, nor anyone else it seems, don't see that trend ending. Recruit the highest caliber of talent that want to represent Cincy. That's all the coaching staff should be required to do.

07-11-2014 10:57 AM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
It's just not that realistic to expect UC to beat out Notre Dame and Ohio State for top tier talent in the region. Generally speaking, GCL kids will always be fond of Notre Dame and Ohio State has long been the premier program in the state, as well as being among the best programs in college football history. As others have said, Michigan occasionally comes into the region as well.

UC's goal in recruiting Ohio should be to beat out the second level schools in the Big Ten, UL, UK, other Catholic schools, etc. for the "leftovers". Just to be clear, I'm not using that term in a bad way.

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2014 12:17 PM by Coopdaddy67.)
07-11-2014 12:17 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(07-11-2014 12:17 PM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  UC's goal in recruiting Ohio should be to beat out the second level schools in the Big Ten, UL, UK, other Catholic schools, etc. for the "leftovers". Just to be clear, I'm not using that term in a bad way.

Bingo. The UK, UL, MSU, Wisconsin's, etc. of the world have killed us with the high 3 star/low 4 star players that have turned in great careers.

07-11-2014 12:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.