Bleacher Report: 1 trap game for every team
07-09-2014 11:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
Bleacher Report: 1 trap game for every team
Not much thought put into those articles.

I think I'll have a beer.
07-09-2014 11:19 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Bleacher Report: 1 trap game for every team
(07-09-2014 11:19 AM)Hemi Man Wrote:  Not much thought put into those articles.

it's B/R. Do they ever put much thought into their articles?
07-09-2014 11:34 AM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(07-09-2014 11:34 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 11:19 AM)Hemi Man Wrote:  Not much thought put into those articles.

it's B/R. Do they ever put much thought into their articles?

I've never seen a B/R story with a whole lot of thought come to think of it.
07-09-2014 11:51 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

Just throwing it out...

Mississippi State's trap game was South Alabama.
Navy's trap game was South Alabama.
07-09-2014 12:16 PM
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
(07-09-2014 12:16 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  Just throwing it out...

Mississippi State's trap game was South Alabama.
Navy's trap game was South Alabama.

And Air Force's trap game was Georgia State.
07-09-2014 01:10 PM
Advertisement

RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
In my opinion, every Belt's trap games are...

App State: Liberty
I agree with the article on that pick. I suspect the Mountaineers to be at 2-3 in the season by the Liberty game, with a big road game at Troy coming up the week after. The Flames are going to be looking to send a statement to the Belt, and if Appalachian State is 0-2 in conference, they might be eyeing the Trojans match up more so than the Liberty game.

Arkansas State: Appalachian State
Yes, the stretch of going to Atlanta, Lafayette then Moscow will be tricky but their's at least a bye week thrown in between Georgia State and La-La. As of now, I have the Pack going 6-3 overall, 3-1 in conference play (toss up the lost to the Cajuns or South Alabama). A revenge minded Bobcats will be waiting for the Red Wolves the following week, and past trends show ASU having near let down, tight and/or complete melt down games in the month of November. I could see Astate overlooking App much like they did against Georgia State last year.

Georgia Southern: Savannah State
Their's no doubt about this one. The big time match up against the Ramblin' Wreck will be constantly on the minds of this Eagles squad, and add the fact that Savannah state has only won three games in the past three seasons, makes it very easy to overlook them and not take them seriously.

Georgia State: ACU
I've been saying this even before this article came out. It's the Panthers best chance to win but they can't let entitlement and arrogance cloud their game preperations or they could easily limp into conference play the following weeks 0-1.

Idaho: None
In all honestly, I don't know how you can be Idaho and over look an opponent. At the least, Western Michigan, New Mexico State, Georgia Southern and Appalachian State are going to be toss up games. If you're a Vandal, it'd be wise to treat every game as the most important.

New Mexico State: Cal Poly
Pretty obvious (and only) trap game for the Aggies. Having a big time, early conference match up on the road will be distracting enough along with first games jitters could spell trouble if NMSU can't put together solid play on the gridiron.

South Alabama: Georgia State
Texas State isn't a bad pick but I'm thinking the match up with the Panthers a week before playing their instate rival, Troy, smells of classic trap game.

Texas State: Georgia Southern?
I put a question mark because in all honesty, I don't really see any trap games on the Bobcats schedule. AR-Pine Bluff is an AWFUL football program, and I don't see Texas State really overlooking anybody else. If they could get to 5-3, 3-1 in conference play by the time they're fixing to play GA. Southern, maybe overlooking the Eagles could happen especially if South Al has really turned it on this season and if Georgia Southern is bad. Possible but I doubt it.

Troy: UAB
Gotta go with the Trojans match up with longtime in state rival, UAB. Troy has won three out of the last four games against the Blazers and UAB has just been an abysmal program the last several seasons. However, UAB made a great hire with former Jacksonville State head coach Bill Clark who's only known success in his short yet hot coaching career so far. The big home against Duke looms the following week, and if Troy isn't careful they could stumble right out of the gate.

UL-Lafayette: None
I see a couple of potential trap games (La. Tech, Georgia State, Texas State and Troy) but all in all, gotta give credit where credit is due-this is possibly the most impressive looking paper this program has fielded on paper. I don't see them losing at home against the Bulldogs, they've got a bye week to refocus on Georgia State, Texas State could possibly give the Cajuns a battle in San Marcos yet with a bye week afterwards, hard to overlook towards an off week. Troy could very well pull a 2012 South Al on Lafayette, depending on the season plays out.

UL-Monroe: @New Mexico State & @ Georgia Southern
I know...I know...controversial choice but hear me out. Despite having to find a new QB, ULM all around should still be a pretty solid team. As of now, I predict them going 5-3, also 3-1 heading into the Battle on the Bayou. If they can pull it out, they'd be in the thick of claiming the title. I could see a possible letdown against the Aggies. If they slip up, the pressure is on to win at Georgia Southern, and past trend has shown ULM hasn't handled either the important and/or pressure games well. Flip it around and if they drop the La-La game, that drops them to 5-4 overall, 3-2 in conference play. This would just reek of past scenarios: 2009, they were 6-4 with two games remaining to La-La and MTSU-Lost both. 2010, they were 5-7 all they had to do was beat the Cajuns and become bowl eligible-lost once again.
07-09-2014 01:22 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

we lost to texas state last year, how can they be a trap game this year? doesn't trap-game imply you dont think you'll lose regardless?
07-09-2014 01:28 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(07-09-2014 01:22 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  Georgia Southern: Savannah State
Their's no doubt about this one. The big time match up against the Ramblin' Wreck will be constantly on the minds of this Eagles squad, and add the fact that Savannah state has only won three games in the past three seasons, makes it very easy to overlook them and not take them seriously.

Oh Jesus, please don't do that to me at work. Everyone is looking at me weird from that outburst of laughter.
07-09-2014 01:33 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

(07-09-2014 01:28 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  we lost to texas state last year, how can they be a trap game this year? doesn't trap-game imply you dont think you'll lose regardless?

again B/R "writers" aren't very known for their research and knowledge on the G5 teams
07-09-2014 01:33 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(07-09-2014 01:22 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  In my opinion, every Belt's trap games are...

App State: Liberty
I agree with the article on that pick. I suspect the Mountaineers to be at 2-3 in the season by the Liberty game, with a big road game at Troy coming up the week after. The Flames are going to be looking to send a statement to the Belt, and if Appalachian State is 0-2 in conference, they might be eyeing the Trojans match up more so than the Liberty game.

Arkansas State: Appalachian State
Yes, the stretch of going to Atlanta, Lafayette then Moscow will be tricky but their's at least a bye week thrown in between Georgia State and La-La. As of now, I have the Pack going 6-3 overall, 3-1 in conference play (toss up the lost to the Cajuns or South Alabama). A revenge minded Bobcats will be waiting for the Red Wolves the following week, and past trends show ASU having near let down, tight and/or complete melt down games in the month of November. I could see Astate overlooking App much like they did against Georgia State last year.

Georgia Southern: Savannah State

Georgia State: ACU
I've been saying this even before this article came out. It's the Panthers best chance to win but they can't let entitlement and arrogance cloud their game preperations or they could easily limp into conference play the following weeks 0-1.

Idaho: None
In all honestly, I don't know how you can be Idaho and over look an opponent. At the least, Western Michigan, New Mexico State, Georgia Southern and Appalachian State are going to be toss up games. If you're a Vandal, it'd be wise to treat every game as the most important.

New Mexico State: Cal Poly
Pretty obvious (and only) trap game for the Aggies. Having a big time, early conference match up on the road will be distracting enough along with first games jitters could spell trouble if NMSU can't put together solid play on the gridiron.

South Alabama: Georgia State
Texas State isn't a bad pick but I'm thinking the match up with the Panthers a week before playing their instate rival, Troy, smells of classic trap game.

Texas State: Georgia Southern?
I put a question mark because in all honesty, I don't really see any trap games on the Bobcats schedule. AR-Pine Bluff is an AWFUL football program, and I don't see Texas State really overlooking anybody else. If they could get to 5-3, 3-1 in conference play by the time they're fixing to play GA. Southern, maybe overlooking the Eagles could happen especially if South Al has really turned it on this season and if Georgia Southern is bad. Possible but I doubt it.

Troy: UAB
Gotta go with the Trojans match up with longtime in state rival, UAB. Troy has won three out of the last four games against the Blazers and UAB has just been an abysmal program the last several seasons. However, UAB made a great hire with former Jacksonville State head coach Bill Clark who's only known success in his short yet hot coaching career so far. The big home against Duke looms the following week, and if Troy isn't careful they could stumble right out of the gate.

UL-Lafayette: None
I see a couple of potential trap games (La. Tech, Georgia State, Texas State and Troy) but all in all, gotta give credit where credit is due-this is possibly the most impressive looking paper this program has fielded on paper. I don't see them losing at home against the Bulldogs, they've got a bye week to refocus on Georgia State, Texas State could possibly give the Cajuns a battle in San Marcos yet with a bye week afterwards, hard to overlook towards an off week. Troy could very well pull a 2012 South Al on Lafayette, depending on the season plays out.

UL-Monroe: @New Mexico State & @ Georgia Southern
I know...I know...controversial choice but hear me out. Despite having to find a new QB, ULM all around should still be a pretty solid team. As of now, I predict them going 5-3, also 3-1 heading into the Battle on the Bayou. If they can pull it out, they'd be in the thick of claiming the title. I could see a possible letdown against the Aggies. If they slip up, the pressure is on to win at Georgia Southern, and past trend has shown ULM hasn't handled either the important and/or pressure games well. Flip it around and if they drop the La-La game, that drops them to 5-4 overall, 3-2 in conference play. This would just reek of past scenarios: 2009, they were 6-4 with two games remaining to La-La and MTSU-Lost both. 2010, they were 5-7 all they had to do was beat the Cajuns and become bowl eligible-lost once again.

You lost me here. I mean...Unless you define trap as GS might win by 60 instead of 70...

There is no chance of Savannah State beating Georgia Southern.
07-09-2014 01:37 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Seriously? We lose our QB and it's a rebuilding year for
Troy? Does he not realize we have the most depth at QB than any other SBC program? QB won't be a problem. Outside that we return a ton of talent. I assure you it's not a rebuilding year.
07-09-2014 01:50 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I'm sure it's HIGHLY HIGHLY unlikely, but it's that type of attitude to have towards a team that could easily make it a trap game
07-09-2014 01:59 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(07-09-2014 01:50 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Seriously? We lose our QB and it's a rebuilding year for
Troy? Does he not realize we have the most depth at QB than any other SBC program? QB won't be a problem. Outside that we return a ton of talent. I assure you it's not a rebuilding year.

We had 3 (out of 22) returning starters last year and still went 6-6 after a 5-7 year. We have 12 this year and every year people predict Troy will go backwards or stay the same. Anyone who says Larry Blakeney has "lost it" doesn't understand how hard it is to have 3 returning starters and take the champs ASU and ULL down to the very last second, in their houses no less. Especially when fans of those teams don't see you on the same level as they are.

41-36 at ULL with 2:01 left on the clock in the 4th QTR, Troy was at the goal line and Corey Trim knocked down a pass to ET on 4th down. Ball game.

34-34 at ASU with 4 minutes left, ASU scores to go ahead 41-34. ASU stopped Troy on the next possession. Troy lost by the same score in 2012, and only lost to ULL by 13. This program isn't that far behind the powers of the SBC.

3 Returning Starters out of 22 last year managed to pull that off. 1 on defense, 2 on offense.

We bring back way more this year and have added some serious talent. Anyone who thinks this is a rebuilding year hasn't seen the numbers.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 02:22 PM by TroyFootball05.)
07-09-2014 02:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiefsfan Offline

My list

stAte @ Georgia State: The fact is that the Red Wolves could come into that game with a variety of records based on their September schedule. But, if Ideal scenarios have stAte at 3-2 and 1-0 in SBC heading to Atlanta, then watch out. The Panthers for all purposes, should have won in Jonesboro last season. Despite losing Albert Wilson they have several players back, and have had a few years now to draft as an FBS team. Throw in that its a road game in front of what may be a small crowd, and you could easily see Red Wolves players and fans convinced that Georgia State will roll over and play dead, which won't happen.

App @ Southern Miss: Southern Miss will really be App's first test as an FBS team. Michigan doesn't really count, and they'll destroy Campbell. The Eagles are 1-23 in the last two seasons, but that doesn't mean they are not capable. The thing is, just 5 days after their trip to Hattiesburg, App faces a trip to Statesboro and a game with their arch rivals and first SBC game to boot. I could be very easy to overlook the Eagles because of their record, and start thinking toward that first SBC game. That could spell trouble for the Mountaineers.

Georgia State vs New Mexico State: How can a team with zero wins last year have a trap game with an FBS Opponent you ask? Well primarily because if you are going to beat your first FBS opponent, NMSU is a likely candidate. Early season home game, first league game, chance to start 1-0 in league. I think many GSU fans will see this as a should win, but the reality is NMSU proved in Lafayette last year that they cannot be taken lightly

Georgia Southern vs ULM: I thought long and hard about this, but ULM screams trap for the Eagles. Of all the SBC teams the Eagles play...ULM would probably be the least known (Outside of Idaho and NMSU) Warhaws never seem to appear tough. Even their wins over Arkansas and Wake Forrest the last two years were far from pretty games to watch, yet true SBC Vets understand exactly what you are getting into when you play Monroe. Todd Berry is a mad scientist on offense, and for a GS team used to their own triple option, and the smash mouth football many FCS teams go with, ULM's wild formations and alignments and risk taking on 4th downs will be very difficult to adjust too.

Idaho: Western Michigan a struggling MAC team seems like a perfect scalp for the Vandals early in the season. But the Broncos are more talented than they appear, and could certainly give a Vandals team still discovering its own identity trouble.

NMSU: Georgia Southern The fact is that many hardened FBS teams overlook moveups early in the game because they don't believe they have the talent to win the game. Georgia Southern will make their longest flight since an FCS Trip to North Dakota State, and many Aggies may see it as a should win. Of course...most of us actually know that Georgia Southern will be no cake walk.

ULM: vs Texas State ULM went into San Marcos last year and beat the Bobcats without Browning. One would think that should happen again. But I am not sure it will. The Bobcats QB situation will be a year older, and much of the talent is still there. They will be out for revenge heading to Monroe.

ULL: vs App State: The truth is that every year, the Cajuns have that one home game where they lay an egg for a little while, and let the visitors gain confidence. App's back to back trips to Lafayette and Jonesboro and pure evil from a scheduling POV. But everyone knows by now that they are going to cherish the opportunity to make a statement by beating one of the league heavyweights. Cajuns will be mostly through the meat of their schedule, and could be pushing 10 or 11 wins if things keep up. Cajuns will not overlook Texas State, ULM, USA, or stAte because of respect for those programs. App is a different animal, and one that should be handled with care at all times.

Texas State: vs stAte: You might ask me how its possible for the Bobcats to overlook Arkansas State? Well, frankly its because they have some competitive advantages over stAte, with the Red Wolves former DC and OL coach both on staff. They will know the Red Wolves better than any team in the league. Its a Thursday Night game with a long trip for stAte. Frankly it screams Bobcat win. However, ASU has an unusually good record on Thursday Nights, and has never seemed overly bothered with conference road trips of late. It will be very interesting watching John Thompson and Blake Anderson go at each other.

Troy: @ Georgia Southern This is an easy call. Troy will frankly expect to win this game. But National TV Night games in Statesboro are rare...and it will almost certainly sell out. I have questions about how a Troy team that seemed to fall apart at odd teams the past few years will handle an Eagles team hungry to win a game that they see as a mini Rivalry, when I am not sure Troy fans or players do.

USA @ App This is App's first SBC home game, and first home game vs an FBS Opponent. Its October, in the mountains. a Gigantic crowd will certainly be there to watch. USA is considered an outside favorite for the SBC Title by many...and leading off SBC play with GS, Idaho, and App will look easy. To be honest, USA will expect to be 3-0 in league by October 5th as they head into their meat of the league schedule and look ahead to their 3 straight games against Troy, ULL, and stAte to end the month. App will be ready to go. But will USA?
07-09-2014 02:17 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(07-09-2014 02:13 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 01:50 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Seriously? We lose our QB and it's a rebuilding year for

We had 3 (out of 22) returning starters last year and still went 6-6 after a 5-7 year. We have 12 this year and every year people predict Troy will go backwards or stay the same. Anyone who says Larry Blakeney has "lost it" doesn't understand how hard it is to have 3 returning starters and take the champs ASU and ULL down to the very last second, in their houses no less. Especially when fans of those teams don't see you on the same level as they are.

41-36 at ULL with 2:01 left on the clock in the 4th QTR, Troy was at the goal line and Corey Trim knocked down a pass to ET on 4th down. Ball game.

34-34 at ASU with 4 minutes left, ASU scores to go ahead 41-34. ASU stopped Troy on the next possession. Troy lost by the same score in 2012, and only lost to ULL by 13. This program isn't that far behind the powers of the SBC.

3 Returning Starters out of 22 last year managed to pull that off. 1 on defense, 2 on offense.

We bring back way more this year and have added some serious talent. Anyone who thinks this is a rebuilding year hasn't seen the numbers.

Replacing Corey Robinson is the big point. I think many incorrectly assume that Corey Robinson is the Troy team...and that you'll struggle to replicate his numbers.

I see your trap as a trip to Statesboro in October.
07-09-2014 02:25 PM
Advertisement

TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

(07-09-2014 02:17 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Georgia Southern vs ULM: I thought long and hard about this, but ULM screams trap for the Eagles. Of all the SBC teams the Eagles play...ULM would probably be the least known (Outside of Idaho and NMSU) Warhaws never seem to appear tough. Even their wins over Arkansas and Wake Forrest the last two years were far from pretty games to watch, yet true SBC Vets understand exactly what you are getting into when you play Monroe. Todd Berry is a mad scientist on offense, and for a GS team used to their own triple option, and the smash mouth football many FCS teams go with, ULM's wild formations and alignments and risk taking on 4th downs will be very difficult to adjust too.

I appreciate your analysis! I'd even add to that its the last game of the season which means we can either be pumped for this game, or go into it indifferent because of a mediocre record. Not to mention there won't be much home support because it's Thanksgiving weekend so student attendance will be minimal.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 02:32 PM by TrueBlueAlum.)
07-09-2014 02:32 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(07-09-2014 02:25 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 02:13 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

Replacing Corey Robinson is the big point. I think many incorrectly assume that Corey Robinson is the Troy team...and that you'll struggle to replicate his numbers.

I see your trap as a trip to Statesboro in October.

Ya I am aware. When is the last time Troy had a underprefroming QB? Remember Levi Brown, Omar Haugabook before him? They ran this conference at QB.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 03:22 PM by Atlanta Trojan.)
07-09-2014 03:22 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

(07-09-2014 01:59 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  I'm sure it's HIGHLY HIGHLY unlikely, but it's that type of attitude to have towards a team that could easily make it a trap game

It's a trap game if the team has the ability to beat you if you don't respect them.

SSU is a dumpster fire on and off the field. Hell they hadn't even hired a coach last year until like 2 weeks before camp started or something like that. They had 183 TOTAL yards against us last season.

I think our real trap game is Georgia State (as in I think we should win but it could go south, not counting games that are tossups as is). We don't have any reason to respect them but they have been getting better. I could definitely seeing that being a game we need to settle down and not let our ego get ahead of us.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 03:59 PM by eaglewraith.)
07-09-2014 03:58 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(07-09-2014 03:58 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 01:59 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  I'm sure it's HIGHLY HIGHLY unlikely, but it's that type of attitude to have towards a team that could easily make it a trap game

It's a trap game if the team has the ability to beat you if you don't respect them.

SSU is a dumpster fire on and off the field. Hell they hadn't even hired a coach last year until like 2 weeks before camp started or something like that. They had 183 TOTAL yards against us last season.

I think our real trap game is Georgia State (as in I think we should win but it could go south, not counting games that are tossups as is). We don't have any reason to respect them but they have been getting better. I could definitely seeing that being a game we need to settle down and not let our ego get ahead of us.

I thought about Georgia State, but I don't see any way you guys don't respect that game seeing as its already turning into a rivalry.
07-09-2014 04:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.