Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Obama praises Abbas, but not Netanyahu in opinion piece published by Israeli newspape
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Obama praises Abbas, but not Netanyahu in opinion piece published by Israeli newspape
Obama praises Abbas, but not Netanyahu in opinion piece published by Israeli newspaper

I hope the 80% of American Jews who voted for Obama are happy.

Quote:President Barack Obama offered strong praise for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in an opinion piece published Tuesday in an Israeli newspaper, but had little to say about the other key player in the crisis, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

"In President Abbas, Israel has a counterpart committed to a two-state solution and security cooperation with Israel," Obama wrote in the daily Haaretz. The president offered no parallel praise for Netanyahu, who is only mentioned by name once in the piece.

Obama's comments, published in Hebrew, Arabic and English, were his first public comments on Middle Eastern affairs since the murder of three Israeli teenagers last month touched off a new round of regional violence and deepening mistrust.

After the bodies of the three Israelis were discovered, Obama issued a brief written statement, but hasn't spoken about the situation publicly. Haaretz said the op-ed was intended for the newspaper's upcoming peace summit. The White House told The Associated Press the op-ed was written before June 30 -- the day the three Israeli teens were found dead -- but later updated to reflect more recent events.

Writing in emotional terms, Obama said he couldn't imagine the pain suffered by the parents of the three Israeli teens, but was also heartbroken by the senseless murder of a Palestinian teenager who many suspect was killed as payback.

"All parties must protect the innocent and act with reasonableness and restraint, not vengeance and retribution," Obama said.

Obama didn't mention Tariq Abu Khdeir, the cousin of the murdered Palestinian, who was arrested after clashing with Israeli forces. The State Department has said it's "deeply troubled" by reports that Abu Khdeir, a Palestinian-American, was badly beaten while in custody.

Obama said the U.S. was disappointed that American-backed peace talks fell apart, but said the U.S. won't give up on peace.

"When the political will exists to recommit to serious negotiations, the United States will be there, ready to do our part," Obama said, later adding "For all that Israel has accomplished, for all that Israel will achieve, Israel cannot be complete and it cannot be secure without peace."
07-08-2014 06:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
RE: Obama praises Abbas, but not Netanyahu in opinion piece published by Israeli newspape
UM2001GRAD approves.
07-08-2014 07:02 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Obama praises Abbas, but not Netanyahu in opinion piece published by Israeli newspape
Elections have consequences...............
07-08-2014 07:52 AM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
With a friend like Obama.....
07-08-2014 08:07 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
This is a silly objection. That doesn't sound as much like praise, as a comment "well, at least this guy isn't publicly stating that the Arabs should work to destroy Israel at the present time". Obama's interventions in the peace process will at best be fruitless and completely worthless, but most likely will be the catalyst for a third intifada.

Getting your panties in a wad by stating the obvious - that Israel wants peace with its neighbors - is missing the larger point that Obama and Kerry are leaving the middle east engulfed in flames in their wake.
07-08-2014 12:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.