Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Athlon Sports Bowl Projections
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Athlon Sports Bowl Projections
FINALLY - sensible bowl projections which do not (a) put the ACC into BOTH the Music City and Gator bowls, nor (b) give the Orange Bowl slot to some other conference! 03-banghead

Athlon Sports 2014-15 Bowl Projections:
Bitcoin Dec. 26 ACC No. 10 vs. AAC Georgia Tech vs. USF
Military Dec. 27 ACC No. 7-9 vs. AAC Cincinnati vs. Pittsburgh
Sun Dec. 27 ACC No. 3-6 vs. Pac-12 No. 5 Miami vs. Washington
Pinstripe Dec. 27 ACC No. 3-6 vs. Big Ten No. 5-7 Nebraska vs. N Carolina
Independence Dec. 27 ACC No. 7-9 vs. SEC No. 3-8 Duke vs. Utah*
Detroit Dec. 30 ACC No. 7-9 vs. Big Ten Northwestern vs. Syracuse
Belk Dec. 30 ACC No. 3-6 vs. SEC No. 3-8 Louisville vs. Mississippi St
TaxSlayer Jan. 2 ACC/Big Ten vs. SEC No. 3-8 Virginia Tech vs. LSU
Russell Ath. TBA ACC No. 2 vs. Big 12 No. 3 Notre Dame vs. Kansas St
Orange Dec. 31 ACC No. 1 vs. Big Ten/ND/SEC Clemson vs. Auburn

CFB Playoff
Rose Jan. 1 Playoff Semifinal Alabama vs. Ohio State
Sugar Jan. 1 Playoff Semifinal Florida State vs. Oklahoma
CFB Championship
Jan. 12 Semifinal Winner vs. Semifinal Winner Florida State over Alabama

(*) FSU repeats as national champs
(*) Clemson returns to the Orange Bowl to face Auburn
(*) Notre Dame takes the highest spot it can - the Russell Athletic Bowl
(*) Va Tech is setup for a possible whuppin in the Gator
(*) Syracuse gets the "privilege" of breaking in the Detroit Bowl.
(*) while UNC takes their 'spot' in the Pinstripe
(*) Ga Tech does NOT go to El Paso
(*) Pitt does NOT go to Birmingham
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 02:08 PM by Hokie Mark.)
07-07-2014 12:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
RE: Athlon Sports Bowl Projectsions
Um Syracuse goes to the motor city while UNC plays in the Big Apple( strike up the UNC to the B1G rumors)
07-07-2014 12:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
Why would the Belk pass on UNC? I know that the Tar Heels played in the bowl last season, but the Belk has shown a consistent preference for North Carolina based teams (only 4 out of 12 Belk Bowls have not had a North Carolina team participating). Furthermore, the Belk has been willing to take teams back-to-back in years past (e.g. UNC in 2008 and 2009).

Personally, I think the Belk would push pretty hard to get UNC again (assuming Clemson, VT aren't still available).
07-07-2014 12:47 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
GT is one of maybe 5 teams who could go to the BitCoin Bowl and have a student body that actually knows how to use BitCoin.
07-07-2014 01:02 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-07-2014 12:47 PM)UofLgrad07 Wrote:  Why would the Belk pass on UNC? I know that the Tar Heels played in the bowl last season, but the Belk has shown a consistent preference for North Carolina based teams (only 4 out of 12 Belk Bowls have not had a North Carolina team participating). Furthermore, the Belk has been willing to take teams back-to-back in years past (e.g. UNC in 2008 and 2009).

Personally, I think the Belk would push pretty hard to get UNC again (assuming Clemson, VT aren't still available).

Good point, given that the Belk and Pinstripe are considered EQUAL under the new arrangement...
07-07-2014 01:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(07-07-2014 01:02 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  GT is one of maybe 5 teams who could go to the BitCoin Bowl and have a student body that actually knows how to use BitCoin.

This is funny...and true.
07-07-2014 01:38 PM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
What's the order of picks? I ask because I just don't see the Pinstripe picking UNC over Syracuse unless they have to, especially if the other team is a big name team but from the middle of nowhere.

A big name v a local team is great for ticket sales and also great for TV exposure/ratings.
07-07-2014 01:41 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Athlon Sports Bowl Projections
(07-07-2014 01:41 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  What's the order of picks? I ask because I just don't see the Pinstripe picking UNC over Syracuse unless they have to, especially if the other team is a big name team but from the middle of nowhere.

A big name v a local team is great for ticket sales and also great for TV exposure/ratings.

Order of picks:

#0. CFB Playoffs (if selected by committee)
#1. Orange Bowl vs SEC, Big 10, or Notre Dame
#2. Russell Athletic Bowl vs. Big 12
#3. Capital One Bowl vs. SEC (conditional)
#3 through #6. Gator/Music City, Belk, Sun, and Pinstripe Bowls
#7 through #9. Military, Advocare V100, and Detroit Lions Bowls
#10 and #11. Beef ‘O’Brady’s and Birmingham Bowls (conditional)

Those last 3 groups are negotiated between the school, ACC office, and the bowls. W/L record determines which group you are in, and then the exact bowl within that group is negotiated.
07-07-2014 02:18 PM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
Remember UNC just played in the Belk, so return might not make sense
07-07-2014 03:04 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(07-07-2014 12:03 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  FINALLY - sensible bowl projections which do not (a) put the ACC into BOTH the Music City and Gator bowls, nor (b) give the Orange Bowl slot to some other conference! 03-banghead

Athlon Sports 2014-15 Bowl Projections:
Bitcoin Dec. 26 ACC No. 10 vs. AAC Georgia Tech vs. USF
Military Dec. 27 ACC No. 7-9 vs. AAC Cincinnati vs. Pittsburgh
Sun Dec. 27 ACC No. 3-6 vs. Pac-12 No. 5 Miami vs. Washington
Pinstripe Dec. 27 ACC No. 3-6 vs. Big Ten No. 5-7 Nebraska vs. N Carolina
Independence Dec. 27 ACC No. 7-9 vs. SEC No. 3-8 Duke vs. Utah*
Detroit Dec. 30 ACC No. 7-9 vs. Big Ten Northwestern vs. Syracuse
Belk Dec. 30 ACC No. 3-6 vs. SEC No. 3-8 Louisville vs. Mississippi St
TaxSlayer Jan. 2 ACC/Big Ten vs. SEC No. 3-8 Virginia Tech vs. LSU
Russell Ath. TBA ACC No. 2 vs. Big 12 No. 3 Notre Dame vs. Kansas St
Orange Dec. 31 ACC No. 1 vs. Big Ten/ND/SEC Clemson vs. Auburn

CFB Playoff
Rose Jan. 1 Playoff Semifinal Alabama vs. Ohio State
Sugar Jan. 1 Playoff Semifinal Florida State vs. Oklahoma
CFB Championship
Jan. 12 Semifinal Winner vs. Semifinal Winner Florida State over Alabama

(*) FSU repeats as national champs
(*) Clemson returns to the Orange Bowl to face Auburn
(*) Notre Dame takes the highest spot it can - the Russell Athletic Bowl
(*) Va Tech is setup for a possible whuppin in the Gator
(*) Syracuse gets the "privilege" of breaking in the Detroit Bowl.
(*) while UNC takes their 'spot' in the Pinstripe
(*) Ga Tech does NOT go to El Paso
(*) Pitt does NOT go to Birmingham

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think the rule changed after last year and that now the ACC's representative in the Orange Bowl has to be one of the divisional champions unless both divisional champions end up in the playoffs. If I'm right, it's essentially impossible for Clemson to be in the Orange Bowl if FSU is in the playoffs.
07-07-2014 03:50 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(07-07-2014 12:15 PM)mj4life Wrote:  Um Syracuse goes to the motor city while UNC plays in the Big Apple( strike up the UNC to the B1G rumors)

The authors clearly see UNC as in the 3-6 pool, SU not so much.

(07-07-2014 03:50 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think the rule changed after last year and that now the ACC's representative in the Orange Bowl has to be one of the divisional champions unless both divisional champions end up in the playoffs. If I'm right, it's essentially impossible for Clemson to be in the Orange Bowl if FSU is in the playoffs.

"In years when the ACC champion or another ACC team qualifies for the four-team national semifinals, then the next highest-ranked ACC team would play in the Orange Bowl." http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...-agreement
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 04:57 PM by orangefan.)
07-07-2014 04:55 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-07-2014 03:50 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think the rule changed after last year and that now the ACC's representative in the Orange Bowl has to be one of the divisional champions unless both divisional champions end up in the playoffs. If I'm right, it's essentially impossible for Clemson to be in the Orange Bowl if FSU is in the playoffs.

I've never even heard of such a rule, but if you have a link I'd love to see it... oh, wait, you're a Duke fan. I get it. Never mind.
07-07-2014 08:50 PM
krux Offline
Banned

We get 11 teams in again, eh? Pretty good!
07-07-2014 10:48 PM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

(07-07-2014 03:04 PM)mj4life Wrote:  Remember UNC just played in the Belk, so return might not make sense

UNC played in back-to-back Belk Bowls in 2008 and 2009.
07-08-2014 10:20 AM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

(07-07-2014 08:50 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

I've never even heard of such a rule, but if you have a link I'd love to see it... oh, wait, you're a Duke fan. I get it. Never mind.

Here's your link.
07-08-2014 10:41 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-08-2014 10:41 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  

Here's your link.

Oh, you WERE serious! Ok, it appears that you may be basing this conclusion on the following statement:

Quote:In the event that the ACC champion is selected to the four-team College Football Playoff, the Orange Bowl will select the ACC runner-up.
- CardChronicle.com

However, I wouldn't take that to be the authoritative statement, since the official ACC website worded it differently:

Quote:If the ACC Champion is identified as one of the top four teams by the Bowl Championship Series selection committee, then the ACC Champion will participate in the national semifinals and a replacement team from the ACC would participate in the Discover Orange Bowl.
-TheACC.com

So while it MIGHT be the loser of the ACC CG, I don't think it HAS to be.
07-08-2014 11:23 AM
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
It'd be a damned shame if some scrub Coastal team passed over a better Clemson team to play in the Orange Bowl.
07-08-2014 11:38 AM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

(07-08-2014 11:23 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(07-08-2014 10:41 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  

Here's your link.

Oh, you WERE serious! Ok, it appears that you may be basing this conclusion on the following statement:

Quote:In the event that the ACC champion is selected to the four-team College Football Playoff, the Orange Bowl will select the ACC runner-up.
- CardChronicle.com

However, I wouldn't take that to be the authoritative statement, since the official ACC website worded it differently:

Quote:If the ACC Champion is identified as one of the top four teams by the Bowl Championship Series selection committee, then the ACC Champion will participate in the national semifinals and a replacement team from the ACC would participate in the Discover Orange Bowl.
-TheACC.com

So while it MIGHT be the loser of the ACC CG, I don't think it HAS to be.

You keep giving a 2012 link. Come up with a 2014 link saying the Orange Bowl can pick whoever they want if the ACC Champion is in the national championship playoff. I don't think you can.
07-08-2014 12:00 PM
HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
It might be Highest ranked, after the Playoff team is selected?????
FlossY out...04-wine
07-08-2014 03:11 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-08-2014 12:00 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  You keep giving a 2012 link. Come up with a 2014 link saying the Orange Bowl can pick whoever they want if the ACC Champion is in the national championship playoff. I don't think you can.

Why should I have to prove that the statement made in 2012 is still in effect? The burden of proof is on the one who claims it has been overruled to provide evidence. Until such is given, I must assume the old rule remains in effect.
07-08-2014 03:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.