Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC did expand again...
Bookmark and Share
mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
If the SEC did expand again...
I was taking a look at the SEC board to see what they talk about and found this thread:

http://www.csnbbs.com/thread-639096.html

I was quite surprised by the number of folks who thought UC would be a great addition:

- Rich recruiting area
- Great potential TV audience, and
- A burr in the Buckeye's backside 03-lmfao

Actually, UC to the SEC makes more sense than to the Big12. Not wanting to start some big debate, just surprised to see the discussion. UC is a great addition to any P5 conference and it's coming - it's just a matter of time.

07-07-2014 11:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cali_Cat Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC fans to stop
RE: If the SEC did expand again...
What?????? 03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead

07-07-2014 11:16 AM
dossbig Offline
1st String

I Root For: CINCINNATI
Wonderful dream. Our stadium is too small. Except for Vandy at 40,350 all SEC stadiums are 60,000 and up. We are about as south as the Missouri Tigers.

WVU fits the SEC profile better than UC. WVU looks SEC and academics of WVU are right in line with the SEC, whereas UC would be a step up from most SEC schools save Vandy. That said obviously better TV sets than say Starkville.

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 11:27 AM by dossbig.)
07-07-2014 11:27 AM
socTHEgreat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Accountability
IF the SEC ever came calling I think it UC would bend over backwards to find a way to squeeze another 10K seats into Nippert. Back to reality...

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 01:48 PM by socTHEgreat.)
07-07-2014 11:31 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
also this thread at the aac board
http://www.csnbbs.com/thread-694346.html

07-07-2014 11:51 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

UC is a great add to any P5 conference, not named the PAC 12.

07-07-2014 11:56 AM
Advertisement

cpawfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
The thread also has a post stating that there are more suckeye fans than Bearcat fans in Cincinnati...

07-07-2014 12:01 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
Re: RE: If the SEC did expand again...
(07-07-2014 12:01 PM)cpawfan Wrote:  The thread also has a post stating that there are more suckeye fans than Bearcat fans in Cincinnati...
Which I would disagree with

07-07-2014 12:03 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(07-07-2014 11:15 AM)mac6115cd Wrote:  I was taking a look at the SEC board to see what they talk about and found this thread:

I was quite surprised by the number of folks who thought UC would be a great addition:

- Rich recruiting area

Actually, UC to the SEC makes more sense than to the Big12. Not wanting to start some big debate, just surprised to see the discussion. UC is a great addition to any P5 conference and it's coming - it's just a matter of time.

I made a few of the same points about UC selling themselves to the SEC right after Louisville was taken by the ACC (even went so far as to write Whit). There is a ton of logic to it. They get into the 6th most populous state, in the heart of big ten country, in one of the 2 Big Time recruiting states they don't have a presence in (Cali being the other). Any SEC Network immediately is going to be shown throughout the state of Ohio. UC can join a division with UK, Vandy and TN all within reasonable driving distance. UC would be an outlier in that it is not a huge land grant University (though neither is Vandy), but there are a lot of other positives.

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 12:40 PM by bearcatmark.)
07-07-2014 12:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(07-07-2014 12:39 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(07-07-2014 11:15 AM)mac6115cd Wrote:  I was taking a look at the SEC board to see what they talk about and found this thread:

- Rich recruiting area

I made a few of the same points about UC selling themselves to the SEC right after Louisville was taken by the ACC (even went so far as to write Whit). There is a ton of logic to it. They get into the 6th most populous state, in the heart of big ten country, in one of the 2 Big Time recruiting states they don't have a presence in (Cali being the other). Any SEC Network immediately is going to be shown throughout the state of Ohio. UC can join a division with UK, Vandy and TN all within reasonable driving distance. UC would be an outlier in that it is not a huge land grant University (though neither is Vandy), but there are a lot of other positives.

Stop Mark you are making too much sense. FWIW I became an SEC fan back in the 80's.
Either 19 or channel 64, locally, would carry Jefferson Pilot SEC football games.
I also worked at Steinbergs (anybody remember those stores) about every Saturday for 4 years and I put SEC games on the TVs.

07-07-2014 12:51 PM
Cali_Cat Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC fans to stop
SEC games already air in Cincinnati (on channel 64) and Kentucky has already pillaged Cincinnati for the top recruits...explain why UC makes any sense for the SEC...

07-07-2014 12:53 PM
Advertisement

indycat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
UC leadership should be relentlessly pursuing all P5 possibilities. No one really knows where the next opening might occur so to fixate on the ACC or B12 would be foolish. The best arguments for UC with the folks down south are a contiguous state (to KY) that adds the sixth largest population, top 30ish TV market, top 25 basketball/football and a large, respected research university.

I don't buy the whole stadium size argument against UC; that's the uninformed SEC fans speaking. Does anyone believe if the SEC needed UC to backfill or expand and came to the University saying all you need to do is add 10,000 seats on campus or to move home games against 'Bama, Florida and Tennessee to PBS, the administration would say, "No thanks, but we appreciate your asking."

Do I think this is a likely scenario? No. But you can bet the folks in Columbus wouldn't be any too pleased to have an SEC presence on Ohio soil and it would be poetic justice if it ever came to pass.

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 12:59 PM by indycat.)
07-07-2014 12:57 PM
Topkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheCats
(07-07-2014 12:53 PM)Cali_Cat Wrote:  SEC games already air in Cincinnati (on channel 64) and Kentucky has already pillaged Cincinnati for the top recruits...explain why UC makes any sense for the SEC...

Well, one reason would be the SEC Network would probably generate 8-10x MORE per cable/sat subscriber in Ohio with a member in the state (if its model is the same as BTN).

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 01:17 PM by Topkat.)
07-07-2014 01:05 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
(07-07-2014 12:53 PM)Cali_Cat Wrote:  SEC games already air in Cincinnati (on channel 64) and Kentucky has already pillaged Cincinnati for the top recruits...explain why UC makes any sense for the SEC...

Read the thread posted by SEC fans (1st post).

As someone that has followed recruiting for quite some time I would argue UK gets the occassional recruit; they don't really pillage IMO.

07-07-2014 01:05 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(07-07-2014 01:05 PM)Topkat Wrote:  

Well, one reason would be the SEC Network would probably generate 8-10x MORE per cable/sat subscriber with a member in the state (if its model is the same as BTN).

This. The SEC Network would not just be shown in Cincinnati-- it would also be shown in Dayton, Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, Toledo and all points in between.

Every year ESPN rolls out their best markets for CFB--- every year there are several Ohio markets on the list. Sure they watch a lot of B10--- but they watch other conferences play as well.

Sure to some Cincinnati in the SEC sounds like crazy talk-- but if you would have told someone 10 years ago that Rutgers would be in the B10 they would have told you the same thing.

07-07-2014 01:09 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy

Kentucky has had success in recruiting Ohio for 2 years. That is it. Remember, they are not getting the top recruits, only Big Ten leftovers to a large extent. After Stoops begins to tank, this will change. In addition, more 4 and 5 stars will gladly play in Sec east schools with 4 nearby games: Tenn, Ky, Vandy, and Cincy.

SEC network is a different animal. This is what the SEC will be selling. I think they need the Cincy and Ky presence to sell it in Ohio.

In addition, I believe the SEC would love to strike at a high revenue program like Ohio State. They have had a lot of success with the state of Texas number two program, Texas AM. Texas AM to the Sec has marginalized the longhorns to an extent. I would like to think the conference would like to do this again in Ohio

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 01:14 PM by rosewater.)
07-07-2014 01:12 PM
Advertisement

Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
Kentucky already bleeds into Ohio, so adding Cincinnati wouldn't give them a great deal of value when compared to some other programs on the table. It makes sense for the SEC to move up the east coast since they've already went as far west as they have.

07-07-2014 01:27 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(07-07-2014 01:27 PM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  Kentucky already bleeds into Ohio, so adding Cincinnati wouldn't give them a great deal of value when compared to some other programs on the table. It makes sense for the SEC to move up the east coast since they've already went as far west as they have.

Kentucky hardly bleeds into Ohio. It has a small presence in the Cincinnati area and very little presence anywhere else in the state. Big Ten had some "bleed in" in New York/New Jersey, but wanted to add a school to supplement that because it increased the presence immediately throughout NJ and in NYC. Cincinnati would corner the Cincinnati market for the SEC and would significantly expand the market throughout the state of Ohio in a way that Kentucky most certainly does not do.

BTW not saying the SEC should, or will do it, but Kentucky's limited Ohio presence is not what would stop the SEC from adding Cincinnati. I think the SEC's first choices in expansion would be UNC (NC State if UNC won't do it) and either UVA or VT, but it's far from clear those teams would bolt from the ACC. I could easily see Cincinnati in the mix right after those schools.

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 01:43 PM by bearcatmark.)
07-07-2014 01:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(07-07-2014 01:27 PM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  Kentucky already bleeds into Ohio, so adding Cincinnati wouldn't give them a great deal of value when compared to some other programs on the table. It makes sense for the SEC to move up the east coast since they've already went as far west as they have.

Unless one or both of the Oklahoma schools becomes available then Cincinnati and ECU are their best selections if the SEC Network needs more viewers in large states in the border of their footprint. While Kentucky does bleed into the Cincinnati metro area they are not that visible north of the river. I also believe their fan base in this region is mostly rooted in UK basketball, not UK football.

UC could get the SEC into most of Ohio including large cities like Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Toledo, and Cleveland.

07-07-2014 01:44 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(07-07-2014 11:27 AM)dossbig Wrote:  Wonderful dream. Our stadium is too small. Except for Vandy at 40,350 all SEC stadiums are 60,000 and up. We are about as south as the Missouri Tigers.

WVU fits the SEC profile better than UC. WVU looks SEC and academics of WVU are right in line with the SEC, whereas UC would be a step up from most SEC schools save Vandy. That said obviously better TV sets than say Starkville.

Yeah, but WVU isn't available. Tied to B12 with a GOR.

07-07-2014 01:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.