Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CFN tidbits
Bookmark and Share
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
CFN tidbits
From the UT preview, CFN doesn't expect NIU to be West frontrunners this year or a serious contender for the West, but they do state NIU can play spoiler and beat the Rockets yet again. Nice to see the word hex on the UT side of things, 5-1 in the last 6 wow.

Key game: Nov. 11 at Northern Illinois. Not only have the Rockets lost the last four games in the series and five in the last six, but they’ve had a few problems on defense. Things have improved since the 63-60 loss in 2011 and 65-30 in 2010, but the losses were still big in the MAC title hunt. The road to Detroit might not go through DeKalb, but it’s at the end of the run of four road games in five weeks and it’ll play a big role in the title chase. With Bowling Green to follow, the Rockets have to break the hex

One CFN tidbit that I don't know I can agree with is in their Arkansas preview saying NIU is an automatic win. Yes its unlikely NIU can win in a tough SEC venue with all the losses they are facing, but to say NIU has ZERO chance with a good deal of offensive talent returning, and a Razorback team that could be a little vulnerable is a little confusing to me. NIU may not be NIU this year, but Im not sure its fair to lump NIU in with Nicholls St. and UAB as the same caliber automatic win.

With Nicholls State, Northern Illinois and UAB on the slate, Arkansas will be guaranteed to win at least three games, but it’s going to take some work to get at least three more victories
07-06-2014 07:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
RE: CFN tidbits
(07-06-2014 07:03 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  From the UT preview, CFN doesn't expect NIU to be West frontrunners this year or a serious contender for the West, but they do state NIU can play spoiler and beat the Rockets yet again. Nice to see the word hex on the UT side of things, 5-1 in the last 6 wow.

Key game: Nov. 11 at Northern Illinois. Not only have the Rockets lost the last four games in the series and five in the last six, but they’ve had a few problems on defense. Things have improved since the 63-60 loss in 2011 and 65-30 in 2010, but the losses were still big in the MAC title hunt. The road to Detroit might not go through DeKalb, but it’s at the end of the run of four road games in five weeks and it’ll play a big role in the title chase. With Bowling Green to follow, the Rockets have to break the hex

One CFN tidbit that I don't know I can agree with is in their Arkansas preview saying NIU is an automatic win. Yes its unlikely NIU can win in a tough SEC venue with all the losses they are facing, but to say NIU has ZERO chance with a good deal of offensive talent returning, and a Razorback team that could be a little vulnerable is a little confusing to me. NIU may not be NIU this year, but Im not sure its fair to lump NIU in with Nicholls St. and UAB as the same caliber automatic win.

With Nicholls State, Northern Illinois and UAB on the slate, Arkansas will be guaranteed to win at least three games, but it’s going to take some work to get at least three more victories

Usual arrogance of "major" college writers when it comes to the Arkansas comments.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2014 07:51 AM by HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN.)
07-06-2014 07:50 AM
NIU05 Online
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Arkansas will be EXTREMELY difficult task. Best regular season team we have played since Wisconsin and Russell Wilson on the lakefront. BB will get Arkansas to the SEC title game within 2-3 years.
07-06-2014 09:37 AM
flair6 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
I don't think the Arkansas statement is off base. We are breaking in a new quarterback and hopefully improving a mediocre MAC defense. We will be a double digit underdog and rightfully so. Doesn't mean we can't go in there and pull the upset but our non-conference games this year are going to be meant to prepare the starting QB for the MAC race. Presbyterian being scheduled first was by design. We will know who the starter is after that game. Whoever wins the job in the fall will shine in week one or be replaced by week two.
07-06-2014 09:40 AM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

FWIW:

USA Todays Paul Myerberg Pre-Season countdown has Arkansas at #89. He describes their game vs NIU as a "probable/maybe" win.

Thru the bottom 61 so far. Still NIU & these apponents to go: NU,BSU & Toledo.
07-06-2014 10:04 AM
dekalb222 Offline
All American

I Root For: niu
NIU has played one good team in the regular season over the last 10 years. Arkansas is not good and will not be in the SEC title game anytime soon. It will be tough to win there but not impossible.
07-06-2014 11:07 AM
Advertisement

uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(07-06-2014 11:07 AM)dekalb222 Wrote:  NIU has played one good team in the regular season over the last 10 years. Arkansas is not good and will not be in the SEC title game anytime soon. It will be tough to win there but not impossible.

What exactly is your definition of a "good" team?
07-06-2014 11:43 AM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
If the final two games from last season are any indication on how good this team will be I'm not too excited.
07-06-2014 12:15 PM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

(07-06-2014 12:15 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  If the final two games from last season are any indication on how good this team will be I'm not too excited.

I just hope they throw to the tight end more...

But seriously, the play calling was stubborn last year, so I'm hoping they can open things up with whoever the new QB is.
07-06-2014 12:29 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(07-06-2014 09:37 AM)NIU05 Wrote:  Arkansas will be EXTREMELY difficult task. Best regular season team we have played since Wisconsin and Russell Wilson on the lakefront. BB will get Arkansas to the SEC title game within 2-3 years.
Wha?
07-06-2014 07:07 PM
dekalb222 Offline
All American

57, my definition of a good team is top 30 BCS conference and Bosie St. type team. The best team we have beaten over that time is a lower tier BigTen team(IOWA). I guess Kent ST would be the second best team?
07-06-2014 07:25 PM
Advertisement

huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(07-06-2014 07:25 PM)dekalb222 Wrote:  57, my definition of a good team is top 30 BCS conference and Bosie St. type team. The best team we have beaten over that time is a lower tier BigTen team(IOWA). I guess Kent ST would be the second best team?

So, by your definition, there's only 30 good teams in college football? I get it.

You never miss a chance to rip on NIU football.
07-06-2014 08:28 PM
dekalb222 Offline
All American

I am not ripping on NIU ftball, BOB. I am pointing out that we have not played any good teams since 2004. And yes, I would say that every year there are no more than 30-40 good teams. Also Bob, I support NIU FTBALL financially and by attendance more than 90 some percent of NIU fans. Just because I am a big fan of bball doesn't mean that I am ripping on ftball. Is this ripping on the ftball team, I believe the bball team will double the ftball teams wins this year. BobL, name the team that was good other than Wisconsin that we have played since 2004?
07-06-2014 08:51 PM
numbersdontlie Offline
Livin in a van down by the river.

Re: RE: CFN tidbits
(07-06-2014 08:51 PM)dekalb222 Wrote:  I am not ripping on NIU ftball, BOB. I am pointing out that we have not played any good teams since 2004.

I think FSU was a pretty good team.
07-06-2014 09:11 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(07-06-2014 09:11 PM)numbersdontlie Wrote:  
(07-06-2014 08:51 PM)dekalb222 Wrote:  I am not ripping on NIU ftball, BOB. I am pointing out that we have not played any good teams since 2004.

I think FSU was a pretty good team.

And TCU. And Wisconsin. And Ohio State.
07-06-2014 09:20 PM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

Offensive line was a big disappointment in the last 2 games. I hope they got stronger over the summer.
07-06-2014 09:25 PM
Advertisement

huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(07-06-2014 08:51 PM)dekalb222 Wrote:  I am not ripping on NIU ftball, BOB. I am pointing out that we have not played any good teams since 2004. And yes, I would say that every year there are no more than 30-40 good teams. Also Bob, I support NIU FTBALL financially and by attendance more than 90 some percent of NIU fans. Just because I am a big fan of bball doesn't mean that I am ripping on ftball. Is this ripping on the ftball team, I believe the bball team will double the ftball teams wins this year. BobL, name the team that was good other than Wisconsin that we have played since 2004?

Want to know some good teams we've played (and beaten) just in the last 3 years?

2011 Toledo: 9-4 (7-1 MAC, only loss was to NIU), beat Air Force in the Military Bowl.

2011 Ohio: 10-4 (6-2 MAC, lost to NIU in the MACC), beat Utah State in the Potato Bowl.

2012 Kent State: 11-3 (8-0 MAC, lost to NIU in the MACC), beat Rutgers (Big East team at the time).

2013 Ball State: 10-3 (7-1 MAC, only loss to NIU), beat an ACC team (Virginia) on the road.

And, just stop yourself with the ridiculous claim that the basketball team will double the win total of the football team. The football team played 14 games last year, the basketball team played 32 games, almost 3 times as many.
07-06-2014 09:37 PM
dekalb222 Offline
All American

They said in the regular season only. Ohio St and Wisconsin. Sorry Bob, the teams you mentioned were good MAC teams, no one throughout the country would consider them good. Many on this board have made fun of the bball team by talking about the ftball team doubling them. I am just pointing out that things are most likely about to change. I personally hope the ftball team wins 14 games but I would consider 9 wins a good year.
07-06-2014 09:52 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
Ddekalb222 Your initial post said "NIU has played one good team in the regular season over the last 10 years." Your definition of a good team is top 30 BCS conference and Boise St. type team and then you incorporate "the best team we've beaten over that time is a lower BigTen team (IOWA)." Then you yourself bring MAC teams into the mix with "I guess Kent ST would be the second best team?"
Obviously sarcasm since you come back at Huskiebob with "the teams you mentioned were good MAC teams, no one throughout the country would consider them good."

Only you can take a football topic CFN tidbits and turn it into a basketball vs. football debate because you're either a member of the staff, roommate, relative, or whatever to a basketball coach or player. You never answered when asked before what is your connection to the program because it's not just an NIU student or fan. You get defensive as evidenced by the statement: "Many on this board have made fun of the bball team by talking about the ftball team doubling them" despite the odds for that being dictated by the number of games in a season.
Fine, we all get it, you can't wait for basketball and your beloved Monty to prove every doubter wrong. Last summer you predicted a winning record for 2013-14 and insisted the NCAA wasn't out of the question --- then you toned it down after some injuires and a stretch of losses still produced a sub-.500 record. One MAC tourney win and you vowed 2014-15 will be THE YEAR.
So when it comes to evaluating if hoops is making genuine progress, don't defend losses to MAC schools because MAC basketball is held in lesser regard than MAC football. Don't make out an opponent to better than they are just because they played in the last NCAA tournament or played in the NIT, etc. ..... because we all know the NCAA field doesn't really represent the "30-40 good teams" in the country. Let's initially see if the program can even get to the MAC title game in hoops, let alone win it.
Remember, this all started with you saying "NIU has played one good team in the regular season over the last 10 years," obviously forgetting BCS foes like Maryland (2004 road opener), Michigan (2005 road opener), etc. Quite a few of us on here have supported NIU men's hoops longer than you've been alive, so it's still too hard be as confident as you that everything is already or will be great inside the Convo. Until then, consider keeping your Monty/basketball bias out of threads entitled CFN tidbits. By the way, CFN is Collegie Football News.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 09:17 AM by uiniu57.)
07-06-2014 11:09 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Its such an odd dynamic how fans of solely bball or solely fball have such a burning desire for the other to do poorly. I just don't get how one sport losing correlates to success of the other.

Personally to me, THIS is the year for basketball. Its a still a young team but this will be the most balanced team we have for awhile. You wont hear me saying anything about moral victories, or how the groundwork is being laid for the next year. That is part of what is exciting me going into this season, THIS is next year. I don't know that NIU needs to win conference to validate itself, but like HJ mentioned, anything less than a top 4 finish would be a disappointing season.
07-07-2014 06:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.