RE: Univ of Texas President Bill Powers asked to resign
Texas to the SEC!!! ECU to the Big 12
07-04-2014 07:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
St. H. Gink Offline
All American

I Root For: CollegeFootball
Bill Powers has been cited as the driving force behind Big 12 expansion, and in some cases lack thereof. This can be huge if he actually is ousted.
07-04-2014 09:38 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(07-04-2014 09:38 PM)St. H. Gink Wrote:  Bill Powers has been cited as the driving force behind Big 12 expansion, and in some cases lack thereof. This can be huge if he actually is ousted.

In other words, Central Florida fan is reaching for abolutely anything to tout themselves to the Big 12.

Give it a rest, Western Kentucky and Southeastern Louisiana have roughly the same chances of ever getting into the Big 12 as Central Florida.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 09:45 PM by Kronke.)
07-04-2014 09:45 PM
Advertisement

Savacool Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulane
What does this have to do with the AAC?
07-04-2014 09:47 PM
ECBrad Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
Turns out this wasn't just some political BS. Powers got caught admitting completely unqualified students into the law school as favors to their parents who were either lobbyists or legislators. Pretty ****** up.
07-04-2014 10:48 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
I've met Bill several times. He's a good man. I don't doubt the charges they brought up against him and I don't doubt that anyone who was in his position would've done something similar. It's a job that requires you to get dirty and do things that aren't necessarily on the up and up. There is just too much money and too many expectations not to. That's not to say he should've done it but just that I understand why he did.

WTS, even if he didn't do this, the powers that be would've found a reason to get him gone. The power struggle in Austin(at the university, in the UT System, and politically with Perry and the Legislature) has been horrendous for the past 5 years. Both Gov Perry and Lt Gov Dewhurst hated the man for reasons that aren't above board either. Not to mention factions inside the UT system that wanted his job. He was a good executive for the university. As far as Cigarroa asking for his resignation? Well, Cigarroa never really wanted to be chancellor but he was a compromise pick. That's why he is going back to his old job as head of pediatric surgery at UTHC soon. It's my opinion that he did as he was told to make sure he gets that position again when he leaves the Chancellorship in a few months.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 11:12 PM by aTxTIGER.)
07-04-2014 11:11 PM
NestaKnight1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(07-04-2014 09:45 PM)Kronke Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 09:38 PM)St. H. Gink Wrote:  Bill Powers has been cited as the driving force behind Big 12 expansion, and in some cases lack thereof. This can be huge if he actually is ousted.

In other words, Central Florida fan is reaching for abolutely anything to tout themselves to the Big 12.

Give it a rest, Western Kentucky and Southeastern Louisiana have roughly the same chances of ever getting into the Big 12 as Central Florida.
That statement is true if applied to Houston, not UCF. It can be "huge" as it relates to realignment board fodder, probably not much else. I've heard plenty of talk about UCF to the B-12 nothing about WK or SE La. So to put it bluntly, I'll take the position of an Espin talking head over some jealous UH poster. IMHO, UCF has a much greater chance of ever being invited to the b-12 than UH. Jealous much?
07-05-2014 07:41 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(07-05-2014 07:41 AM)NestaKnight1 Wrote:  

That statement is true if applied to Houston, not UCF. It can be "huge" as it relates to realignment board fodder, probably not much else. I've heard plenty of talk about UCF to the B-12 nothing about WK or SE La. So to put it bluntly, I'll take the position of an Espin talking head over some jealous UH poster. IMHO, UCF has a much greater chance of ever being invited to the b-12 than UH. Jealous much?

Both have a near-zero chance of being invited to the Big 12. 07-coffee3
07-05-2014 07:58 AM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(07-05-2014 07:58 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

i agree...but only because of the near sightedness and myopic viewpoint of the B12 rather than the unworthiness of UCF, UC or any other AAC team. The B12, it's lack of markets, and footprint is next one gone, let's be serious. They had a chance to add quality and markets with WVA, UofL, UC, and either UCF, USF, or Memphis and didn't choose wisely and I think in the end it will bite them in the butt.

Granted, Texas and OU will have a golden parachute
07-05-2014 08:01 AM
NestaKnight1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF

I think the jury is still out. I believe that we'll have to wait and see if not having a CCG hurts them in the eyes of the playoff selection committee. If the b-12 champion continually gets left out of the 4 team playoffs by virtue of not playing a 13th game with a quality opponent who raises their SOS, that might trigger B-12 expansion, and I believe UC and UCF have as much chance of anybody to receive that invite.
07-05-2014 08:25 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The Big12 is not adding anyone right now.
There are two things that could force them to do so in the future.
1. If their champ is consistently left out of playoffs because of lack of championship game and they are not given a waiver yo have one with 10 teams. That won't be known until 3-4 years from now.
2. In their new tv contract they are told that to increase payouts they must expand tv markets. I don't know exactly when their tv contracts run out but I think it's more than 5 years.

So basically nothing will happen until 4-5 years from now and while UC and UCF might be the hot candidates right now that could change in that time period. Which is why when a conference expands they don't just add who is the hot school of the day.
07-05-2014 08:30 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

The B12 won't add anybody until they HAVE to....

which will be because:
a: they get poached...again. They have already lost Mizzou, Nebraska, A&M, and Colorado. Which should tell everybody something.

b: they are forced to expand to hold a title game because without one they are hosed in terms of reaching the playoff's....if this every becomes an issue

other than that, they are going to stay where they are
07-05-2014 08:32 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(07-05-2014 08:32 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  The B12 won't add anybody until they HAVE to....

which will be because:
a: they get poached...again. They have already lost Mizzou, Nebraska, A&M, and Colorado. Which should tell everybody something.

b: they are forced to expand to hold a title game because without one they are hosed in terms of reaching the playoff's....if this every becomes an issue

I agree see my post above but I don't think poaching is an issue. Other than UT and OU they have no one the other conferences want to poach
07-05-2014 08:36 AM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

(07-05-2014 08:36 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 08:32 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  The B12 won't add anybody until they HAVE to....

which will be because:

I agree see my post above but I don't think poaching is an issue. Other than UT and OU they have no one the other conferences want to poach

well I don't know...I've heard more than once that the B1G may be interested in KU. Who knows anymore...
07-05-2014 08:37 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(07-04-2014 10:48 PM)ECBrad Wrote:  Turns out this wasn't just some political BS. Powers got caught admitting completely unqualified students into the law school as favors to their parents who were either lobbyists or legislators. Pretty ****** up.

That stuff happens everywhere, including such a non-corrupt place as here in the State of Louisiana, if you can believe such.
07-05-2014 08:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
Univ of Texas President Bill Powers asked to resign
(07-04-2014 11:11 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  I've met Bill several times. He's a good man. I don't doubt the charges they brought up against him and I don't doubt that anyone who was in his position would've done something similar. It's a job that requires you to get dirty and do things that aren't necessarily on the up and up. There is just too much money and too many expectations not to. That's not to say he should've done it but just that I understand why he did.

WTS, even if he didn't do this, the powers that be would've found a reason to get him gone. The power struggle in Austin(at the university, in the UT System, and politically with Perry and the Legislature) has been horrendous for the past 5 years. Both Gov Perry and Lt Gov Dewhurst hated the man for reasons that aren't above board either. Not to mention factions inside the UT system that wanted his job. He was a good executive for the university. As far as Cigarroa asking for his resignation? Well, Cigarroa never really wanted to be chancellor but he was a compromise pick. That's why he is going back to his old job as head of pediatric surgery at UTHC soon. It's my opinion that he did as he was told to make sure he gets that position again when he leaves the Chancellorship in a few months.

Spot on. Powers has been the primary obstacle standing in the way of Perry implementing his "Seven Breakthrough Solutions" for university reform - policies that will cripple the university's research stature - and therefore he must go.

This article touches a bit on it: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/us/...owers.html

FWIW I am in the Powers camp here. As a Texas taxpayer it is important to me that we have top-notch public universities, and this move is simply a sophisticated way to cut funding to those universities. Texas Tech and UH administrations are probably next in line to get the memo of "reform or be pushed out"
07-05-2014 09:04 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Re: RE: Univ of Texas President Bill Powers asked to resign
(07-05-2014 08:01 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

i agree...but only because of the near sightedness and myopic viewpoint of the B12 rather than the unworthiness of UCF, UC or any other AAC team. The B12, it's lack of markets, and footprint is next one gone, let's be serious. They had a chance to add quality and markets with WVA, UofL, UC, and either UCF, USF, or Memphis and didn't choose wisely and I think in the end it will bite them in the butt.

Granted, Texas and OU will have a golden parachute

As long as Texas and Oklahoma remain in the Big 12, and i do not see any reason why they wouldn't, the Big 12 will be just fine. Their blue-chip football status makes up for any other deficiencies.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
07-05-2014 09:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.