Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So long, Maryland
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
So long, Maryland
To loyal Maryland fans: I'm sorry that Va Tech and Maryland were not in the same conference as long as I would have liked.

For all the good-natured Terp fans out there: I'm sorry to see you go, and wish you all the best in the Big Ten. Hopefully it won't be too long before Hokies and Terapins can meet in some non-conference football games (especially bowl games).

To Wallace Loh & company: don't let the door hit you on the way out!
06-30-2014 08:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
RE: So long, Maryland
I agree 100%. I have no problem playing Maryland once all the dust settles.
06-30-2014 09:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(06-30-2014 09:53 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  I agree 100%. I have no problem playing Maryland once all the dust settles.

You might not but DY will have a problem with that. Don't look for that as long as she is AD.
06-30-2014 10:12 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
It is now done...Maryland B1G...Louisville ACC...04-cheers
06-30-2014 11:02 PM
opossum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Duke
Good riddance.
06-30-2014 11:30 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(06-30-2014 09:53 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  I agree 100%. I have no problem playing Maryland once all the dust settles.

Maryland is dead to me.
I hope we never volunteer to schedule them in any sport again.
07-01-2014 07:13 AM
Advertisement

Hallcity Offline
1st String

I mostly think "good riddance" but I can't believe they're gone for good. I was around for South Carolina's departure from the ACC. There's nowhere near the rancor over Maryland's departure as that which attended South Carolina's departure from the ACC. At the time South Carolina left the ACC being an independent was a viable option. Later they joined the SEC which was culturally a better fit for the Gamecocks than the ACC. I don't see the B1G being a good fit for Maryland. Culturally and geographically, they're much more an ACC school than a B1G school. South Carolina fans were all for leaving the ACC. Maryland fans are, at best, divided on the move. Take away the additional money and I can't think of any good reason for Maryland to stay in the B1G. In the long run, say 12-15 years, I think the ACC money will be as good or better than the B1G money. When that happens, I think the Terps will be trying to get back in the ACC. I don't know what the ACC will do then but my gut tells me that it's going to happen.
07-01-2014 09:09 AM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
I'm so glad FSU doesn't have to play them anymore....Louisville is definitely an upgrade!
07-01-2014 12:17 PM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
So long, Maryland
I say good riddance. They have been pitiful in football for a very long time. friedgen ha a few decent years, but they were very mediocre most years. That being said, they still might contend in a very mediocre B1G.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
07-01-2014 12:39 PM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
So long, Maryland
And the Atlantic division just got a lot more interesting. FSU, Clemson and Louisville will lead they way with Syracuse and BC hovering around 7-5 most years. It's a big improvement over Maryland, especially if ncsu steps up.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
07-01-2014 12:42 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Maryland never meant anything to me, in any manner. I wish them well in the Big Ten.
07-01-2014 12:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
As an FSU fan, I won't miss Maryland in the slightest. Happy to take Louisville in a straight up trade.

A lot of tweets and articles have posed questions like "does the ACC or B1G come out better?" from the moves.

Many people say the B1G, but I haven't seen one that doesn't begin with a qualifier about something other than sports. "Considering the money...", "In terms of academics...", "When you look at the East Coast strategy...".

I haven't seen one bit of enthusiasm from B1G folks about the Maryland move (or Rutgers for that matter) that concerns the actual sports.

Conversely, there's considerable enthusiasm about Louisville football and basketball on ACC schedules.

I'm not saying that non-sports matters are irrelevant, but it's still a sports conference first, and a media conglomerate after. The utter lack of any positive excitement towards the new B1G programs' sports is telling.
07-01-2014 03:01 PM
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
(07-01-2014 03:01 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  I'm not saying that non-sports matters are irrelevant, but it's still a sports conference first, and a media conglomerate after. The utter lack of any positive excitement towards the new B1G programs' sports is telling.

That can't be true, can it? You obviously don't read the realignment board.
07-01-2014 03:50 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
in the words of former fsu president tk wetherell ...

NO BIG LOSS
07-02-2014 01:25 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
(07-01-2014 03:01 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  As an FSU fan, I won't miss Maryland in the slightest. Happy to take Louisville in a straight up trade.

A lot of tweets and articles have posed questions like "does the ACC or B1G come out better?" from the moves.

Many people say the B1G, but I haven't seen one that doesn't begin with a qualifier about something other than sports. "Considering the money...", "In terms of academics...", "When you look at the East Coast strategy...".

I haven't seen one bit of enthusiasm from B1G folks about the Maryland move (or Rutgers for that matter) that concerns the actual sports.

Conversely, there's considerable enthusiasm about Louisville football and basketball on ACC schedules.

I'm not saying that non-sports matters are irrelevant, but it's still a sports conference first, and a media conglomerate after. The utter lack of any positive excitement towards the new B1G programs' sports is telling.

Right on! You hit the nail on the head.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2014 07:59 PM by texasorange.)
07-02-2014 07:58 PM
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Duke Blue Devil
Pretty sure Duke will not purposely play them anymore , especially in basketball. Well see you turtles
07-03-2014 11:00 PM
Advertisement

fsugrad99 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: FSU
I feel the same way towards Maryland that I did before: complete ambivalence.
07-04-2014 08:34 AM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

(07-03-2014 11:00 PM)Laettners Legacy Wrote:  Pretty sure Duke will not purposely play them anymore , especially in basketball. Well see you turtles
Since South Carolina left the ACC after the 1971 season, Duke has not played the Gamecocks in football at all and has only played them once in men's basketball. That was in some tournament in 2001. Duke won by 25. I don't think that the Terps should expect anything different. The Devils have long memories.
07-04-2014 04:59 PM
PhiladelphiaVT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Virginia Tech
The University of Maryland trading Duke, Carolina, Notre Dame, Pitt and Syracuse basketball for any combination of B10 basketball teams still boggles the mind. How far will Terp fans have to travel to attend the B10 basketball tournament---Indianapolis? Detroit? Chicago? Who will be their big BB rival in the B10--Penn State? Rutgers? Indeed, what school beyond the Appalachian Mountains in America's cornbelt will ever consider UMD a rival in any sport? It's ALL about the $$$$$ it seems. Just amazing.

Now with Louisville coming on board, ACC basketball should set a new standard for great rivalries and excitement. That plus a fan base that, unlike UMD, seems to care about college football. Going forward, it will be very interesting to see how Louisville and Maryland fare in their new conference homes, and how the conferences themselves will fare .
07-04-2014 07:38 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(07-04-2014 07:38 PM)PhiladelphiaVT Wrote:  The University of Maryland trading Duke, Carolina, Notre Dame, Pitt and Syracuse basketball for any combination of B10 basketball teams still boggles the mind. How far will Terp fans have to travel to attend the B10 basketball tournament---Indianapolis? Detroit? Chicago? Who will be their big BB rival in the B10--Penn State? Rutgers? Indeed, what school beyond the Appalachian Mountains in America's cornbelt will ever consider UMD a rival in any sport? It's ALL about the $$$$$ it seems. Just amazing.

Now with Louisville coming on board, ACC basketball should set a new standard for great rivalries and excitement. That plus a fan base that, unlike UMD, seems to care about college football. Going forward, it will be very interesting to see how Louisville and Maryland fare in their new conference homes, and how the conferences themselves will fare .

The good thing is that in regards to Basketball Louisville through the Old BIG EAST had established Good Basketball Rivalries already with Syracuse and Notre Dame-(every Louisville-Notre Dame Game is usually an Overtime Game)...and it is still fresh since it was only gone from the schedule for one year.
07-04-2014 07:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.