Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Any news on the Md/ACC lawsuit?
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
guess it will drag on after July 1?

I think the judge stated that the ACC and Maryland must meet with an arbitrator for mediation before July 10.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2014 04:10 PM by TIGER-PAUL.)
06-30-2014 04:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
RE: Any news on the Md/ACC lawsuit?
(06-30-2014 04:07 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  guess it will drag on after July 1?

I think the judge stated that the ACC and Maryland must meet with an arbitrator for mediation before July 10.

What's the real incentive for the ACC or MD to settle before June 30th?
06-30-2014 04:30 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
No incentive at all?
06-30-2014 07:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Well we have an answer now... yes the litigation continues.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
07-01-2014 08:45 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Since it's unlikely the ACC collects any more money from Maryland, I'd say it's a good time to go ahead and sit down at the negotiating table. JMO.
07-01-2014 09:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eagle78 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BC
In my opinion, I doubt we will see any negotiated settlement. I think this will carry through to the bitter end, and, IMO, the money issue is secondary. All of the ACC schools are committed to the ACC with the signing of the GOR and the forfeiture clause in the bylaws. If a school were to consider a challenge to these provisions in the future, they would be taking a huge gamble from a financial perspective, IMO. Fighting to enforce the exit fee in the MD case to the bitter end - regardless of whether the ACC "wins" or "loses" - will, IMO, send an important impact to any school that might consider leaving the ACC prior to the expiration of the GOR. Specifically, that the ACC will fight to enforce the GOR and forfeiture clause to the bitter end and a school cannot likely expect the prospect of some kind of "negotiated settlement" to materialize down the line. IMO, that is a powerful incentive for any school not to roll the dice.
07-01-2014 11:18 AM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I think that it will eventually settle, just not right now.

The July 1st date was meaningless to the litigation.
07-01-2014 12:47 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
(07-01-2014 12:47 PM)TerryD Wrote:  I think that it will eventually settle, just not right now.

The July 1st date was meaningless to the litigation.

Having withheld payments for the last two academic years, they have already recovered in excess of $30MM. A settlement is probably in order. Maryland will likely have to kick in some more money but at some point, paying the attorneys gets more expensive than settling.
07-01-2014 01:00 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

On the one hand, I can see Eagle 78's point:

(07-01-2014 11:18 AM)Eagle78 Wrote:  In my opinion, I doubt we will see any negotiated settlement. I think... the money issue is secondary...

In other words, the ACC may want/need to set a precedent.

On the other hand, I also see HtownOrange's point:

(07-01-2014 01:00 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  Having withheld payments for the last two academic years, they have already recovered in excess of $30MM... at some point, paying the attorneys gets more expensive than settling.

Until yesterday, the ACC was accumulating more money in the "kitty", but after today, it begins LOSING money on this trial.

Personally, I think "sending a message" is overrated. To me, this is just business - and therefore, I say maximize profit and move on.

If the league is hung up on "the principal of the thing", they can always make Maryland sign some document saying "we agree that we owe the full $52 million [or whatever], but that the ACC agrees to waive [$X] based on our many faithful years... blah, blah, blah".
07-01-2014 02:25 PM
Eagle78 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BC
I understand your point, Mark. But, IMO, the lawyers fees/court costs are chump change compared to what would happen if a school tried to bolt from the ACC in the future. I do think messaging is important - both to the membership of the Conference and, more importantly, to potential would-be poachers from other conferences. Both need to know that any school who considers bolting in the future is going to roll the dice on their finances. No assumptions of some negotiated "safe landing". In some ways, this is not too dissimilar to a "poison pill" strategy that we have seen in the corporate world. All of the conference teams are solidly behind the ACC at this point. A perfect time to adopt such a strategy to deal with any potential changes-of heart from any team in the future.

Just my 2 cents.
07-01-2014 02:41 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
At the very least, today illustrates that the ACC exit fee does NOT prevent teams from leaving the conference OR joining the conference.
07-01-2014 02:53 PM
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(07-01-2014 02:25 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  On the one hand, I can see Eagle 78's point:

(07-01-2014 11:18 AM)Eagle78 Wrote:  In my opinion, I doubt we will see any negotiated settlement. I think... the money issue is secondary...

(07-01-2014 01:00 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  Having withheld payments for the last two academic years, they have already recovered in excess of $30MM... at some point, paying the attorneys gets more expensive than settling.

Until yesterday, the ACC was accumulating more money in the "kitty", but after today, it begins LOSING money on this trial.

Personally, I think "sending a message" is overrated. To me, this is just business - and therefore, I say maximize profit and move on.

If the league is hung up on "the principal of the thing", they can always make Maryland sign some document saying "we agree that we owe the full $52 million [or whatever], but that the ACC agrees to waive [$X] based on our many faithful years... blah, blah, blah".

Brilliant.

That ain't the ACC's m.o., though.
07-01-2014 07:48 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-01-2014 07:48 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 02:25 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  To me, this is just business - and therefore, I say maximize profit and move on.

Brilliant.

Ha, good point!
07-02-2014 05:26 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-01-2014 07:48 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 02:25 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  On the one hand, I can see Eagle 78's point:

Brilliant.

It takes two to tango and two to settle a lawsuit.

Really, litigation in state court is a long, slow, drawn out process.

The fact that this case has not yet settled is no big surprise to me.

Has anyone heard if the court ordered mediation is even scheduled?

In my view, court ordered mediation is less effective than the two parties getting together and voluntarily setting up a mediation.

When court ordered, sometimes one or both parties just kind of goes through the motions just to satisfy the Judge and obey the order.

This case will likely settle, but it may be quite a while yet.
07-02-2014 10:55 AM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
I think this is less about money now and more about the rights of a conference, the power of their contracts, and a conference's ability to enforce them. The ACC must see this through for the strength of its membership, exit fees, and contracts like GOR.
07-02-2014 02:38 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-02-2014 02:38 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  I think this is less about money now and more about the rights of a conference, the power of their contracts, and a conference's ability to enforce them. The ACC must see this through for the strength of its membership, exit fees, and contracts like GOR.

For the ACC, that may be true. For Maryland, I think it IS about money.
07-02-2014 02:47 PM
Advertisement

ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
truth.

one thing i don't get is the belief that the acc will somehow be vulnerable if the exit fee is declared punitive. the GOR would still remain intact because it isn't even being litigated. not to mention the fact that all 15 schools willingly signed it, which would tell any intelligent person "they're just not that into you."

(07-02-2014 02:47 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 02:38 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  I think this is less about money now and more about the rights of a conference, the power of their contracts, and a conference's ability to enforce them. The ACC must see this through for the strength of its membership, exit fees, and contracts like GOR.

For the ACC, that may be true. For Maryland, I think it IS about money.
07-02-2014 02:58 PM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
(07-02-2014 02:58 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  one thing i don't get is the belief that the acc will somehow be vulnerable if the exit fee is declared punitive. the GOR would still remain intact because it isn't even being litigated. not to mention the fact that all 15 schools willingly signed it, which would tell any intelligent person "they're just not that into you."

Right, but if they were to not settle and a judge were to rule a sports conference's contracts can not be enforced on a departed member; ie you withheld their payments for two years and they've left, you cannot further punish a member after exiting -- then that could be used as precedent for another member to announce their departure, have their withholdings held while they wait to exit and then leave... and as they are leaving sue to reclaim their rights under that precedent of ongoing penalty.

No contract is unbreakable, just as the Titanic wasn't unsinkable, despite all the state-of-the-art protections it had.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2014 10:40 PM by IceJus10.)
07-02-2014 10:39 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
Has anyone heard if the court ordered mediation is even scheduled?

I thought I saw somewhere they had to schedule a meeting before July 10?
07-03-2014 05:09 AM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
(07-02-2014 10:39 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 02:58 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  one thing i don't get is the belief that the acc will somehow be vulnerable if the exit fee is declared punitive. the GOR would still remain intact because it isn't even being litigated. not to mention the fact that all 15 schools willingly signed it, which would tell any intelligent person "they're just not that into you."

Right, but if they were to not settle and a judge were to rule a sports conference's contracts can not be enforced on a departed member; ie you withheld their payments for two years and they've left, you cannot further punish a member after exiting -- then that could be used as precedent for another member to announce their departure, have their withholdings held while they wait to exit and then leave... and as they are leaving sue to reclaim their rights under that precedent of ongoing penalty.

No contract is unbreakable, just as the Titanic wasn't unsinkable, despite all the state-of-the-art protections it had.

I think you are looking at a worst case scenario and it is not likely to happen:

1) Maryland signed a previous exit fee. Although they are claiming that no exit fee is appropriate and that they owe nothing, they did at one point approve and believe that exit fees in and of themselves are valid and enforceable. Hypocrisy is a dangerous thing in court.
2) They signed a GOR to join the B1G. Hypocrisy is a dangerous thing in court.
3) Every team in a P5 conference as well as the lesser 5 conferences has signed a deal with exit fees and/or GOR. All of Maryland's peers believe these deals to be valid. (UNL and Colorado believed exit fees to be valid but there was a legitimate issue on what fee to be paid as the B1g 12's deals provided at least two methods of calculation)
4) If UMD is allowed to jump without penalty, all current deals are invalid.
5) See #4, if so, the BTN is worthless next year when it gets renegotiated.

The issue isn't whether a contract is breakable. The issue is liquidated damages.
The ACC voted in a 3X TV deal liquidated damages clause.
UMD failed to overturn the procedural issue and failed to comply with notification prior to the increased effect.
They are refusing to pay the exit fee and trying to leverage the ACC to negotiate a much lower fee.
The ACC has withheld the last two academic year payouts totaling more than $30MM (close to $38MM if my math is correct).
UMD lost the challenge that the ACC can withhold these payouts.
The ACC has the upper hand at this time and there is no pressure on the ACC to settle unreasonably. As TerryD pointed out, State court is slow. UMD is hurting and will not get a payout until next summer as a new member of the B1G.
The courts are not likely going to wipe away the full exit fee, they may modify it but not wipe it out.
07-03-2014 07:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.