Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA and Non-qualifiers
Bookmark and Share
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
CUSA and Non-qualifiers
Interesting article about non-qualifiers and what schools admit them in CUSA.

http://www.dnj.com/article/20140629/BLUE...-outdated-
06-29-2014 03:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
RE: CUSA and Non-qualifiers
MTSU should load up on nonqualifiers, otherwise you will be at a competitive disadvantage to Marshall which signs a mass group of nonqualifiers each year. I think every school in CUSA should do it, because the league obviously has zero rules against it. MTSU, FAU, FIU, LTU, ODU, UTSA and USM would be be the biggest winners, because SEC and B12 country has lots of kids that are not going to qualify and those kids could stay close to home by signing with those schools.

All schools have to do is create fake curriculums like UNC and even at risk students can't flunk out. UNC-Charlotte is going to learn real quick that they will not be able to take advantage of that deal.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2014 05:00 PM by PirateMarv.)
06-29-2014 04:56 PM
MUsince96 Online
All American

I Root For: Marshall
If by mass amounts you mean 5-6 a year then ok. The continuous whining and crying from ECU fans on this issue is exhausting.
06-29-2014 05:12 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(06-29-2014 05:12 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  If by mass amounts you mean 5-6 a year then ok. The continuous whining and crying from ECU fans on this issue is exhausting.

6 a year over 4 years....24 non qualifiers on an 87 max team?

05-stirthepot
06-29-2014 05:58 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
During the Bower years usm would not take one. We were getting hammered by lies told by Jackie sherrell at state and nick was at LSU. Jackie told the lie often that we had a unfair advantage of signing them and Nick picked up on it. Bower actually called Nicks radio show and corrected him.
I think we have limited it to 2 a year since.
06-29-2014 06:10 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(06-29-2014 05:58 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(06-29-2014 05:12 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  If by mass amounts you mean 5-6 a year then ok. The continuous whining and crying from ECU fans on this issue is exhausting.

6 a year over 4 years....24 non qualifiers on an 87 max team?

05-stirthepot

Nope. Of those 6, 2-3 will never see the field. They still have to work to qualify and qualify to play. Once they show they can qualify, most of them graduate early or will be on track to graduate and get their year of eligibility back. I know, we're horrible for taking a chance on kids and getting them a degree. Shame on us.
06-29-2014 06:13 PM
Advertisement

T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Tech used to do it when we were Independent. I think the WAC didn't allow it. Could be wrong, but that's when we stopped.
06-29-2014 06:48 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(06-29-2014 06:10 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  During the Bower years usm would not take one. We were getting hammered by lies told by Jackie sherrell at state and nick was at LSU. Jackie told the lie often that we had a unfair advantage of signing them and Nick picked up on it. Bower actually called Nicks radio show and corrected him.

I had State fans tell me that crap back in the 1990s.

I always thought Jackie Sherrill seemed creepy, like a child molester or something.
06-29-2014 07:40 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
Congrats to MTSU on the admirable strides you've taken in becoming one of the highest in college football in APR. Interesting read, and it was interesting to see the policies of the different schools. I'd like to see what it looks like for schools in other conferences also.

FAU - Do not admit non-qualifiers.
FIU - Do not admit non-qualifiers.
La. Tech - Coaches can request signing non-qualifiers; university considers on individual basis.
Marshall - Admits about 3-4 football non-qualifiers per year.
MTSU - No policy, but no non-qualifiers admitted since as late as 2005.
North Texas - Coaches can request non-qualifiers; current AD never admitted more than three football players in a year.
Old Dominion - Do not admit or recruit non-qualifiers.
Rice - Do not consider signing non-qualifiers because university standards exceed NCAA requirements.
Southern Miss - Allow signing non-qualifiers, but rarely do.
UAB - Do not admit non-qualifiers.
UTEP - No policy; Have admitted a few non-qualifiers in other sports, but none in football last 4 years.
UTSA - No non-qualifiers admitted in at least 7 years; none in football, which began in 2010.
Western Kentucky - No policy
06-29-2014 07:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grandgreen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Name one football player non=qualifier North Texas has taken in the last decade. NT does allow it, but other than one bb player; I can't think of any non-qualifiers that North Texas has recruited.

There may have been a very few, but hardly what has been implied.
06-29-2014 08:02 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(06-29-2014 08:02 PM)Grandgreen Wrote:  Name one football player non=qualifier North Texas has taken in the last decade. NT does allow it, but other than one bb player; I can't think of any non-qualifiers that North Texas has recruited.

There may have been a very few, but hardly what has been implied.

Well, I think that UNT's numbers may be artificially inflated by the fact that you admit a lot of superheros, demigods, aliens, mutants, etc.
06-29-2014 08:26 PM
Advertisement

Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(06-29-2014 07:40 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  
(06-29-2014 06:10 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  During the Bower years usm would not take one. We were getting hammered by lies told by Jackie sherrell at state and nick was at LSU. Jackie told the lie often that we had a unfair advantage of signing them and Nick picked up on it. Bower actually called Nicks radio show and corrected him.

I always thought Jackie Sherrill seemed creepy, like a child molester or something.
Ill be damned, lol we agree on somthing.
06-29-2014 08:38 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Here are the NCAA standards for anybody that is curious: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_cent..._Sheet.pdf
06-29-2014 08:45 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(06-29-2014 08:45 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Here are the NCAA standards for anybody that is curious: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_cent..._Sheet.pdf

In there somewhere is something that penalized smart kids. Many kids now who show advancement in math are put in algebra 1 in the 8th grade. Credits earned before the 9th grade year do not count toward the 16.
06-29-2014 08:51 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(06-29-2014 08:38 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  
(06-29-2014 07:40 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  

Ill be damned, lol we agree on somthing.

Well, the obvious sh*t.
06-29-2014 09:04 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

(06-29-2014 08:51 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  
(06-29-2014 08:45 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Here are the NCAA standards for anybody that is curious: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_cent..._Sheet.pdf

In there somewhere is something that penalized smart kids. Many kids now who show advancement in math are put in algebra 1 in the 8th grade. Credits earned before the 9th grade year do not count toward the 16.

Where does it say anything about credits in 8th grade not counting toward the 16? I've looked but can't find anything. I wouldn't understand why 8th graders can get HS credit for taking Algebra I in 8th, and then not have that same HS credit count towards college. HS credit is HS credit, no?

Probably unbeknownst to many, and speaking for Texas, there are more students than many realize who actually take Algebra I in 7th grade, Geometry in 8th, and enter HS having already taken two HS credit math classes. They subsequently take Algebra II in their freshman year. It wouldn't make any sense to penalize kids for being intelligent and ambitious enough to take a course earlier than most others do.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2014 09:13 PM by Volkmar.)
06-29-2014 09:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(06-29-2014 09:10 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  

Where does it say anything about credits in 8th grade not counting toward the 16? I've looked but can't find anything. I wouldn't understand why 8th graders can get HS credit for taking Algebra I in 8th, and then not have that same HS credit count towards college. HS credit is HS credit, no?

Probably unbeknownst to many, and speaking for Texas, there are more students than many realize who actually take Algebra I in 7th grade, Geometry in 8th, and enter HS having already taken two HS credit math classes. They subsequently take Algebra II in their freshman year. It wouldn't make any sense to penalize kids for being intelligent and ambitious enough to take a course earlier than most others do.
If you're one of the people who is taking Algebra II freshmen year of high school (And I'm speaking from my own experience as well as my peers' from that class), you are likely self-motivated enough to be taking four years of math anyways. I guess it COULD be an issue, but it is not something I see becoming a major problem.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2014 09:28 PM by ExcitedOwl18.)
06-29-2014 09:27 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State

So 25%+ of each class! yikes.
06-29-2014 09:27 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

(06-29-2014 09:27 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(06-29-2014 09:10 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  

If you're one of the people who is taking Algebra II freshmen year of high school (And I'm speaking from my own experience as well as my peers' from that class), you are likely self-motivated enough to be taking four years of math anyways. I guess it COULD be an issue, but it is not something I see becoming a major problem.

I agree they'll likely take 4 years of math regardless. I also agree that it wouldn't be a major problem. In fact, it wouldn't be any sort of a problem at all because those students likely have very high GPAs and fall well within the NCAA guidelines for eligibility. I'm still curious though as to whether those HS credits taken in middle school truly don't count towards the 16. Just seeking clarification because whether it makes a difference or not, it doesn't seem fair for those courses to not count just because they were taken earlier.

I couldn't find anything on this link either...
http://2point3.ncaa.org/#courses
06-29-2014 09:41 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I hope nobody but Marshall takes them. I'll take all the Vinny Currys, Kevin Grooms, DJ Hunters, Deontay McManus, etc. we can get. Leave 'em all for us.

Here's the thing, it's not against the rules. Is it fair that Marshall is in a state that produces, on average, 3 division 1 football players a year? Is it fair that Marshall has about $10 million a year to spend on football while wvu has about $60 million? If there is an advantage that a G5 school can exploit, they ought to exploit it. People can cry the academic angle, but if you feel 5-6 kids a year out of your freshman class define your school, I don't know what to tell you.

I can understand a school like Rice turning their nose up at the practice, but the rest of the schools in the conference are, for the most part, second tier, public universities intended to educate the masses. Taking a few NQs every year isn't going to soil your reputation.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2014 10:19 PM by banker.)
06-29-2014 10:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.