Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I became fan because....
Bookmark and Share
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
I became fan because....
Two new schools coming in I just wondered how we became fans of the schools we follow. I grew up a pig fan. Moved within about 20 miles of stAte and went to one game in '75. Didn't go back til '78 when StAte beat Mcneese on a last play field goal. Never went to school there but my wife and kids did. Been going through thick and thin from '78 on to football, basketball, and baseball.
06-28-2014 12:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
Re: RE: I became fan because....
(06-28-2014 12:01 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  Two new schools coming in I just wondered how we became fans of the schools we follow. I grew up a pig fan. Moved within about 20 miles of stAte and went to one game in '75. Didn't go back til '78 when StAte beat Mcneese on a last play field goal. Never went to school there but my wife and kids did. Been going through thick and thin from '78 on to football, basketball, and baseball.

The first football game I ever watched on TV was Georgia Southern vs Furman for the 1AA national championship. I was hooked and began following Georgia Southern religiously after that and from there I enrolled 1989 and have been true blue every day since.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
06-28-2014 12:09 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

RE: I became fan because....
The first game my father saw was Homecoming of 1945, when he was still on active duty in the Army. He hasn't missed a Homecoming since....and has missed only 6 home games since he graduated in 1950.
It was a easy choice for me...if I had one...
06-28-2014 12:42 PM
Spiritual_Trojan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Troy & Liberty
I got my acceptance letter in the mail. I was never really a big football fan growing up, but was sorta semi a FSU fan just because of proximity and an Auburn fan cause I knew several people who went there. When Troy sent me my acceptance letter I trash all the other schools stuff and started buying Troy gear. I became a diehard fan my Freshman year in the Sound of the South in 2006 which was the year Troy: led FSU into the fourth, pulled off a miracle in Murphysboro, won their first SunBelt championship, and slaughtered Rice in their first bowl game win.... it was a good year
06-28-2014 12:47 PM
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
I became fan because....
I had followed Troy for some time with them being local, but never attended a game. I grew up an Auburn fan. I've been to several Auburn games and multiple Iron Bowls. My first game was in 05. My cousin who is an alum provided me with 50 yard line tickets. We arrived some 2 hours before kickoff and were looking for will call. After walking around looking for it we were approached by a player wearing his pants and cutoff Troy shirt asking if we needed some help. He walked us around the tower and right up to the will call gate. He told us to have a good time and walked away. Pretty awesome first impression in my opinion. Since them I've never been back to another game not involving Troy. I couldn't care less what the instate schools do. I am a diehard Trojan now. Season ticket holder in football, basketball, baseball, as well as a group we tailgate with at softball games. I've been a donor for 7 years. I haven't missed a football game, home or away, since Oct 20 2007 at North Texas .

I think I'll have a beer.
06-28-2014 12:49 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(06-28-2014 12:42 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  The first game my father saw was Homecoming of 1945, when he was still on active duty in the Army. He hasn't missed a Homecoming since....and has missed only 6 home games since he graduated in 1950.
It was a easy choice for me...if I had one...

That kind of reminds me of my son. In the dark days of the '90's he ask me why couldn't I have been a fan of a better school so he could have been. This was before he went to school there and of course
he has been very happy the last few years. Now he is bringing up his two boys the right way.
06-28-2014 12:53 PM
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

The end of the 80s through early 00s were some tough years. I was fortunate to have experienced the undefeated seasons of '70 and '75....and some good years in the 80s.
The fans that started during our worst years and stuck with us are special.
06-28-2014 12:59 PM
Check Yosef Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
I became fan because....
I'm young. Very young in comparison to most. Wasn't really into any sports until 2011, then I attended my first Appalachian state football game, I knew then that is the type of sports I enjoy, the passion and adrenaline of the event took me in within 5 minutes and I'll be a mountaineer now until I die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06-28-2014 01:12 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
I was also a hogs fan but two crucial things happened: 1) I decided my career choice (broadcasting) and U of A wasn't the place to go for that. 2) My elder brother went to Fayetteville and I would visit him on several occasions and each time I came to loathe the place and realized it wasn't the type of environment I wanted to be.

The added bonus was my parents met while my father was attending Arkansas State.

My first REAL year as an ASU fan was the 2005 season (which turned out to be ASU's then first SBC championship and trip to a bowl game as an FBS Member).

Go stAte!
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2014 01:34 PM by RamblinRedWolf44.)
06-28-2014 01:33 PM
rbostic287 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GA Southern
I became a fan because GS was winning games and UGA wasn't, lol. True... Also, I was born and raised in Statesboro grew to love the college and everything about it. But what really hooked me were the playoff and championship runs of the mind '80s. That really brought that community together. Hopefully that symbiotic relationship can be restored.
06-28-2014 01:40 PM
Cat79 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Texas State
Became a fan of then Southwest Texas State in 1976. Became a season ticket holder in 1979. I was there for the back to back DII National Championships in 1981 and 1982. I had to endure our inconsistencies when moving to I-AA / FCS and the twenty years of indecision and coach changes. The name change to Texas State @ San Marcos came along in 2003

I had the opportunity to attend the FCS playoffs of 2005 (#4 seed) and sellouts of our stadium when on ESPN2. We had great wins over Georgia Southern and Cal Poly, Our loss to Northern Iowa in OT had left us at the semi-finals and ended our chance at an FCS title.

The FCS playoffs of 2008 were nice but ended with a trip to Mizzoula Montana and a loss.

I had been an advocate of moving to IA/FBS for many years to finally see the dream come true in 2012. I have thoroughly enjoyed our move to the WAC and now SBC. Our win over University of Houston in 2012 had sent shock waves through sports media and generated more attention than the FCS playoffs of 2005. We had followed with wins over Southern Miss and Wyoming for 2013 and our entry into the SBC. It sure feels good to be FBS and in the SBC. Go SBC!!!!!!! Go Cats!!!!! Go Texas State!!!!!!!!
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2014 11:51 PM by Cat79.)
06-28-2014 02:11 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
I essentially grew up on the A-State campus. My dad worked there. We rode bikes all over that campus, rode skateboards there. Saw it grow up. Never any doubt I was going to be a lifelong fan.
06-28-2014 03:21 PM
asuwon Offline
Special Teams

My parents took me to stAte games before I was old enough to remember. We had season tickets for football, men's and women's basketball, volleyball, baseball. If they sold season tickets, my Dad bought them. I picked up/moved starting blocks and hurdles at track meets from the time I could carry them, all through my youth, while my Dad was an official timer. I've attended stAte sporting events all over the country.

I was raised to love the Indians Red Wolves and hate the Razorbacks.

I never had a choice.
06-28-2014 03:37 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
Hated all sports until Troy played #9 FSU down to the wire in 2006. I was a sophmore at Troy that year. Hooked ever since.
06-28-2014 03:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
Oh where to start? My mom went to SWT and always talked about the national championships so I knew about the school but we never went to any sporting events or anything school related so I grew up a Longhorns fan when they had Ricky Williams. Next I briefly rooted for the Sooners when they had All-American Safety Brandon Everage, from my hometown of 1000, then I started to despise the Horns and root for A&M due to my dislike for the Horns, my family's agricultural ties, and relatives attending A&M. I liked the Aggies from about 5th grade until my senior year of high school when I took a tour of the A&M campus.

The tour guide was so off putting, more than half of his talk was about putting down "TU", I thought that was pretty sad that he couldn't just talk about the positives of his own university and as a result lost interest/respect for the Aggies. Aggieland is a special place though once you get past the fans like that tour guide.

When I started at TXST in 2009 I had no interest in any of the sports save for baseball because we were nationally relevant, ranked, and hosted name teams.
I finally went to my first football game in 2011 and started to feel some attachment to the team, but then my senior year in 2012 when the move to FBS was complete and the stadium was redone everything just felt different. I probably sound like some sort of bandwagoner but it's safe to say I'm pretty diehard now.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2014 05:01 PM by Bobcat2013.)
06-28-2014 04:58 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
I grew up in NJ. Let's face it...there was no relevant football team in NJ in the 60's or 70's. It was all pro sports (Philly) for me. I was a tomboy and I played (and love) sports so it wasn't like I couldn't have formed an attachment to a team if it was worth my doing so. (Rutgers had a couple good years lately but, meh). I watched Bowl games, because it was what you did back then, and I'd pick a team (who would inevitably lose) but, otherwise, I had no interest.

Moved to Austin, TX area in '82 but my kids were little (3 & 5) and I had no affection for UT, other than it got my Girl Scouts some community service hours and then my kids were in ROTC and they got some service hour gigs when in HS.

My kids never, ever, had an inclination to even attempt to go to UT. Don't get me wrong, both are brainiacs but they saw the whole obnoxious worship thing from a young age and they hated it as much as me.

My daughter transferred her Comm College hours to TXST in the fall of 2003. She got me to go to the last 3 games of the 2004 season. I'm really a sports fanatic by nature. I just couldn't help getting behind the team. The college game, at this level, was very welcoming and exciting. You feel like family and there's more of a connection between the fans and the team/athletes than at any P5 school and, naturally, the pros. I then threw my weight behind the baseball team, starting in 2008. Guys that are moving up to pro levels are people I have actually conversed with and taken on field pictures of and that is the coolest thing, to me.

Until this upcoming season, I have not missed a home game since I started going in 2004. The drive was an easy, breezy 45 minute jaunt that now is a 4 hr drive one way. I will be at 1 game, 2 would be nice, but getting the time off will be a challenge. Retail doesn't like you requesting weekends off. (I also missed the whole baseball season)
06-28-2014 05:35 PM
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

Catmom, you were cheering for some ASU players and probably didn't know it.
Bill Bergey and Fred Barnett were a couple of good ones. It seems that we used to have a pipeline to the Eagles.
06-28-2014 06:16 PM
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
I became fan because....
(06-28-2014 05:35 PM)CatMom Wrote:  I grew up in NJ. Let's face it...there was no relevant football team in NJ in the 60's or 70's. It was all pro sports (Philly) for me. I was a tomboy and I played (and love) sports so it wasn't like I couldn't have formed an attachment to a team if it was worth my doing so. (Rutgers had a couple good years lately but, meh). I watched Bowl games, because it was what you did back then, and I'd pick a team (who would inevitably lose) but, otherwise, I had no interest.

Moved to Austin, TX area in '82 but my kids were little (3 & 5) and I had no affection for UT, other than it got my Girl Scouts some community service hours and then my kids were in ROTC and they got some service hour gigs when in HS.

My kids never, ever, had an inclination to even attempt to go to UT. Don't get me wrong, both are brainiacs but they saw the whole obnoxious worship thing from a young age and they hated it as much as me.

My daughter transferred her Comm College hours to TXST in the fall of 2003. She got me to go to the last 3 games of the 2004 season. I'm really a sports fanatic by nature. I just couldn't help getting behind the team. The college game, at this level, was very welcoming and exciting. You feel like family and there's more of a connection between the fans and the team/athletes than at any P5 school and, naturally, the pros. I then threw my weight behind the baseball team, starting in 2008. Guys that are moving up to pro levels are people I have actually conversed with and taken on field pictures of and that is the coolest thing, to me.

Until this upcoming season, I have not missed a home game since I started going in 2004. The drive was an easy, breezy 45 minute jaunt that now is a 4 hr drive one way. I will be at 1 game, 2 would be nice, but getting the time off will be a challenge. Retail doesn't like you requesting weekends off. (I also missed the whole baseball season)

Very similar for us. My kids will play with Jerrel Jernigan and Kanorris Davis when they come back and people will ask them do they know who those guys were and why didn't you get their autographs. My kids will say that's just Jerrel or Kanorris. They are family and friends to them, not celebrities. It's most certainly the best thing about Troy.

I think I'll have a beer.
06-28-2014 06:26 PM
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
I was a freshman at Appalachian State in 2007. 'Nuff said. We showed up for college and a few weeks later knocked off the #5 ranked team in the BCS. My graduating class at App may have the highest per-capita rate of college football fanship ever.
06-28-2014 06:28 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

My dad also worked at stAte and I also lugged those starting blocks across the infield to the other side of the track. Met stAte QB David Hines (QB of the option offense that led the nation in rushing in stAte's undefeated first season in D1 in 75) on sidelines at practice and immediately put that number 15 on my plastic ASU Indians helmet as a 2nd grader. All in ever since.
06-28-2014 07:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.