http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/201...ppeningnow
06-25-2014 10:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TJT Offline
Headless Thompson Gunner

I Root For: another beer
RE: Randolph leaning toward free agency
It would be ridiculous for him to leave the $16.5 mil he could get in his player option. He will not get that much on the open market. If he bails on that deal, then there is something foul going on in the organization.

I think it's likely he will pick up his option and hit free agency next year.
06-25-2014 11:06 AM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

I Root For: Memphis
(06-25-2014 11:06 AM)TJT Wrote:  It would be ridiculous for him to leave the $16.5 mil he could get in his player option. He will not get that much on the open market. If he bails on that deal, then there is something foul going on in the organization.

It would be crazy for him to take $16.5 million when he can get a guaranteed $30-40 million for the next three years regardless of next year's performance and health.
06-25-2014 11:29 AM
Advertisement

TJT Offline
Headless Thompson Gunner

(06-25-2014 11:29 AM)Latilleon Wrote:  
(06-25-2014 11:06 AM)TJT Wrote:  It would be ridiculous for him to leave the $16.5 mil he could get in his player option. He will not get that much on the open market. If he bails on that deal, then there is something foul going on in the organization.

It would be crazy for him to take $16.5 million when he can get a guaranteed $30-40 million for the next three years regardless of next year's performance and health.

I'm sure that's what mgmt will try to sell him.

I doubt he or his agent buy it though. They probably think it's worth the gamble to take the 16.5 now, and get the 3yr/30mill deal next season.
06-25-2014 12:30 PM
spankadelphia Offline
Banned

If he opts in, he's going to be traded.
06-25-2014 12:41 PM
Advertisement

k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
From 92.9 ESPN's John Martin -

Earlier this morning, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! reported that contract negotiations between the Grizzlies and Zach Randolph hit a snag due in large part to the Grizzlies offering three years on a new deal as opposed to a desired four.

In an interview with Chris Vernon on The Chris Vernon Show today, Raymond Brothers, Randolph's agent, flatly denied the report.

"It's completely inaccurate," Brothers said. "Zach loves Memphis, he loves the team, he loves the fans. We're optimistic we can come to some type of agreement. The length of years has not been discussed and is not the problem. That's not the issue whatsoever."

Other notable tidbits from the interview with Brothers: •From the sounds of it, the Grizzlies and Randolph's camp have not entered negotiations on an extension at all. Brothers said that there is an "equal desire to get a contract done," but added that the two parties "just need to talk about a contract." He went on to say that Randolph has not turned down an offered extension; take that for what it's worth.
•Brothers repeatedly came back to Zach's desire to remain in Memphis. He called Randolph and Marc Gasol "brothers from another mother" and that they both would love to build a championship team in Memphis.
•Brothers reiterated that the salary number on the new deal does not have to be the same as the one on his current contract, which would be $16.5 million should Randolph choose to exercise his player option. "Zach has already said he understands (the situation)," Brothers said. "He wants to win a championship." That sounds like Randolph, as we've figured all along, is willing to take less money to give the Grizzlies flexibility elsewhere to sign roleplayers.
•Vernon asked Brothers what Grizzlies fans should make of all this. His response: "I can't tell fans what to think. Zach is committed to the city of Memphis and the Grizzlies. We're both optimistic. He wants his first name to be Win and his last name to be Championship."
06-25-2014 12:44 PM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(06-25-2014 12:30 PM)TJT Wrote:  

I doubt he or his agent buy it though. They probably think it's worth the gamble to take the 16.5 now, and get the 3yr/30mill deal next season.

You wouldn't take 2 - 3 million less next year to get an extra $20-25 million guaranteed?

ZBo might get hurt or have diminished skills lowering his ability to get as much money next season.
06-25-2014 01:13 PM
Advertisement

spankadelphia Offline
Banned

(06-25-2014 01:13 PM)Latilleon Wrote:  You wouldn't take 2 - 3 million less next year to get an extra $20-25 million guaranteed?

ZBo might get hurt or have diminished skills lowering his ability to get as much money next season.

Which is exactly why it would be a mistake to overpay him.
06-25-2014 01:16 PM
TJT Offline
Headless Thompson Gunner

(06-25-2014 01:13 PM)Latilleon Wrote:  
(06-25-2014 12:30 PM)TJT Wrote:  

You wouldn't take 2 - 3 million less next year to get an extra $20-25 million guaranteed?

Say the Grizz offer him 3 years at 33 mil.

If he takes his option and makes 16.5, he makes half of that in one season. Then his next contract would have to be 2 years at 16.5 or better for him to make more money than was offered.

I am saying he'll bet that he can get better than 2 years at 16.5 on his next deal and opt in and see what happens.

What I would do doesn't matter. I think Zac will bet on himself to stay healthy and productive and get a better deal next year.

It's a big gamble, but most athletes think they can play forever.
06-25-2014 03:27 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
Simple:

Trade Marc, Conley, Lee and Tayshaun ($37 MM) for D. Wade and Bosh ($37mm) (after they take their options).

Let Zach walk. (Save 16.5 mil)
Let Ed Davis walk. (save 4.3 mil).

Sign Lebron ($22 mil)

Done.

Lineup of Beno, TA, Lebron, Bosh and Koufos.

Bench of D. Wade, Miller, Calathes, Franklin and QPon.

Draft Stokes.

Shine up rings.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2014 03:39 PM by salukiblue.)
06-25-2014 03:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

photo cincinnati.png  photo connecticut.png  photo east_carolina.png  photo houston.png  photo memphis.png  photo navy.png  photo smu.png  photo temple.png  photo tulane.png  photo central_florida.png  photo south_florida.png
 photo louisville.png  photo rutgers.png

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.