Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why not Memphis?
Bookmark and Share
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
Why not Memphis?
I don't understand why the Grizz never throw their name out there to get top free agents. We live in a new world of social media & the internet. A man like Lebron can build his brand anywhere. Look at kd. & why not capitalize on the fact that Memphis is 90% black. Appeal to Lebron by telling him he can help a city of his brothers get credit for the next 7 years as you win championship after championship with a team that has all the pieces in place but one, "you Lebron, you are the missing piece." Come on Pera! Even if we don't get him, show the world you mean business in the nba. Roll out the Beale street blue carpet for this guy. & then maybe you land a discounted dwade & ray allen instead. Shoot for the stars my friend.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2014 11:50 PM by BIGDTiger.)
06-24-2014 11:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
RE: Why not Memphis?
Seeing how LeBron and Johnny Football are tied at the hip now, I'm wondering if he isn't going back to Cleveland and talk Carmell into coming along.

And, he his a huge Cowboys fan and friend to Jerry Jones and supposedly likes Dallas, I just don't trust Marc Cuban's true interest in the Mavs anymore.

But sure, it would be fun to see the Grizz open up the checkbook and go for it. He would be the biggest thing in Memphis since Elvis.

Literally.
06-25-2014 09:06 AM
TiminMem23 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(06-24-2014 11:49 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  I don't understand why the Grizz never throw their name out there to get top free agents. We live in a new world of social media & the internet. A man like Lebron can build his brand anywhere. Look at kd. & why not capitalize on the fact that Memphis is 90% black. Appeal to Lebron by telling him he can help a city of his brothers get credit for the next 7 years as you win championship after championship with a team that has all the pieces in place but one, "you Lebron, you are the missing piece." Come on Pera! Even if we don't get him, show the world you mean business in the nba. Roll out the Beale street blue carpet for this guy. & then maybe you land a discounted dwade & ray allen instead. Shoot for the stars my friend.

Name me the last superstar you know of that ever signed a free agent deal with a small market team.

Memphis won't "throw their name out there" to LeBron's people because they know they'd be laughed at. It'd be like someone on this board calling Kate Upton's people and asking if she's interested in going on a date with them.

We could also talk about what it would be like if the Grizzlies won 10 consecutive NBA championships, but that will never happen.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2014 02:20 PM by TiminMem23.)
06-25-2014 09:12 AM
Advertisement

Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(06-25-2014 09:12 AM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  
(06-24-2014 11:49 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  I don't understand why the Grizz never throw their name out there to get top free agents. We live in a new world of social media & the internet. A man like Lebron can build his brand anywhere. Look at kd. & why not capitalize on the fact that Memphis is 90% black. Appeal to Lebron by telling him he can help a city of his brothers get credit for the next 7 years as you win championship after championship with a team that has all the pieces in place but one, "you Lebron, you are the missing piece." Come on Pera! Even if we don't get him, show the world you mean business in the nba. Roll out the Beale street blue carpet for this guy. & then maybe you land a discounted dwade & ray allen instead. Shoot for the stars my friend.

Name me the last superstar you know of that ever signed a free agent deal with a small market team.

Memphis won't "throw their name out there" to LeBron's people because they know they'd be laughed at. It'd be like someone on this board calling Kate Upton's people and asking if she's interested in going on a date with them.

We could also talk about what it would be like if the Grizzlies won 10 consecutive NBA championships, but that will never happen.

Does that count anyone who was originally drafted by the small market team?
06-25-2014 02:27 PM
TiminMem23 Offline
All American

(06-25-2014 02:27 PM)Tiger46 Wrote:  
(06-25-2014 09:12 AM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  

Does that count anyone who was originally drafted by the small market team?

No. The only chance of a small market team getting a superstar-caliber player is through the draft and then hoping to keep them after their rookie deal is up. That can happen, but even then it's tough. Just ask Cleveland, Minnesota and Denver. I can promise you OKC is nervous.
06-25-2014 05:07 PM
Advertisement

OneShiningMoment Away
MT.org's Smartass and Dumbass

I Root For: OnCampusStadium

Donators
one word: MONEY

money for the superstar and money for the supporting cast he wants
06-25-2014 08:19 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
(06-25-2014 08:19 PM)OneShiningMoment Wrote:  one word: MONEY

I guess I never thought of it exactly like that, but a superstar needs his supporting cast. Isn't that what's wrong with Miami right now...The supporting cast?

Spolestra, however, says that the 'big 3' will take a pay cut in order to play together and be coached by him, a winning coach. lol
06-25-2014 09:33 PM
Advertisement

spankadelphia Offline
Banned

I would ask the same about Melo. If Chicago is so high on his list, then why not Memphis? Why join a team full of bums that nearly got swept by the Wizards when you could be battling with OKC in a 7 game series? The same reason ESPN treats Joakim Noah like the second coming of Hakeem and largely ignores Gasol. Because Chicago > Memphis.
06-26-2014 08:43 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

Memphis' only advantage would be no state income tax...Same advantage Texas and Florida teams have.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2014 08:53 AM by macgar32.)
06-26-2014 08:53 AM
TiminMem23 Offline
All American

(06-25-2014 08:19 PM)OneShiningMoment Wrote:  one word: MONEY

Money is a part of it, but there are small market teams who can offer the same amount to a big superstar depending on their cap space situation.

However, as another poster said, it also has to do with the city itself. Who would choose to go to places like Memphis and Cleveland if you can go wherever you want? Chicago, New York, Miami, LA, Houston, etc. will always win out when it comes to superstar players having their pick in free agency or via (demanding) trades.

If you fail to see that, it's probably because you were born and raised here. Guys who aren't from places like this don't give it a second thought.

The only reason Cleveland is still in the mix for LeBron is because he's from Akron and has family in the area. Even then, I don't think he's going back. I think he stays in Miami or goes to Houston.
06-26-2014 09:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

photo cincinnati.png  photo connecticut.png  photo east_carolina.png  photo houston.png  photo memphis.png  photo navy.png  photo smu.png  photo temple.png  photo tulane.png  photo central_florida.png  photo south_florida.png
 photo louisville.png  photo rutgers.png

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.