Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

More Terry Mohajir fun (On SBC, CUSA, NMSU, Football Title game, Liberty)
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
More Terry Mohajir fun (On SBC, CUSA, NMSU, Football Title game, Liberty)
Did an hour long call in show for fans. He made some really fun quotes:

http://www.953theticket.com/?cat=32&paged=2

"Don't get me started on Spring meetings, I could talk for an hour about what went down"

"Conference Title Game (Football) is another issue that I disagree with Karl Benson with. Until someone shows us proof that the Sun Belt would gain revenue from the game, Arkansas State will always be against it."

"Ultimately a Conference Title game hurts every league not named the SEC" "Ask Northern Illinois what their title game is like"

"Not Everyone was for making mandatory basketball doubleheaders."

"I wanted Saturday, Monday Conference schedules, but I actually had a coach respond that he wanted a day off each week, What? there are no days off in coaching"

"All we had to do to resolve the basketball scheduling issue is invite New Mexico State. They want in...But for some reason, the CEO's would not vote for them, Arkansas State will always support New Mexico State for Full membership"

"I am in favor of Autonomy for the Higher Resource leagues. Long Beach State is not at the same level as Alabama. I am not in favor or raising scholarship limits or changing transfer rules"

"Appalachian State is a bigger name and brand nationally than Middle Tennessee. Georgia Southern is about even with Western Kentucky, but Western Kentucky has never won in the Swamp"

"I hear all the time "We should have gone to CUSA" Well let me tell you something. The Sun Belt is a better league than CUSA. CUSA was the worst league in FBS Last year. The Sun Belt was the best non AQ. The Best place for Arkansas State is the Sun Belt right now." (This is followed by quotes comparing us to Central Florida and what we need to do to be able to compete with UCF and Houston)

"MTSU, UNT, and WKU left for CUSA because they thought the revenue was the same it was when Memphis was in the league. It wont be close. CUSA's brand...Im telling you...people must still think Louisville is in CUSA. They brought in teams like ODU, Charlotte, and UTSA that don't have the tradition that SBC Teams have. Charlotte hadn't even played a down of football" "Its about brand...not market" "Of course, things are cyclical, so things change every few years"

"Liberty is not a rumor. Jerry Falwell Jr and his Son did fly to Jonesboro and meet with Dr. Hudson and myself. Liberty is a little more than people think. Their budget is about 40 million." "They make 214 million per year in Online classes" "I like their vision, I like what they do. My concern is whether they can recruit with their honor code, and I mentioned that to them "But the conference CEO's voted not to bring them in at this time, but things can change in a year...and I am fine with that.

"Liberty has offered to make a financial contribution to the Sun Belt to get in."

"Coach Hudspeth deserved the extension and raise he got"

"I am okay continuing to replace coaches as long as the program continues to grow." "You plan for the worst...you hope for the best"
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2014 09:43 PM by chiefsfan.)
06-23-2014 09:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
RE: More Terry Mohajir fun (On SBC, CUSA, NMSU, Football Title game, Liberty)
I talked to App State's WBB coach about the Thur/Sat schedule. The SoCon had Sat/Mon and she hated it because their day off was Tuesday, which wasn't really a day off with classes. A Thur/Sat schedule meant the day off would be Sunday, which is a true day off.

It's not about the coaches having a day off, it's about the players. Mohajir made a clown statement on that one.
06-23-2014 09:45 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(06-23-2014 09:45 PM)T-Dog Wrote:  I talked to App State's WBB coach about the Thur/Sat schedule. The SoCon had Sat/Mon and she hated it because their day off was Tuesday, which wasn't really a day off with classes. A Thur/Sat schedule meant the day off would be Sunday, which is a true day off.

It's not about the coaches having a day off, it's about the players. Mohajir made a clown statement on that one.

He made a few. He ranted and raved about MTSU and WKU joining CUSA because Houston and Memphis were still in the league... He got on some rant about wanting NMSU in the league because our Chancellor was Bilingual. His biggest weakness in public speaking is that when he gets on a roll, he turns into a fan and starts rambling on and on.

Truthfully, most Arkansas State fans are used to it by now. In a way, he's more popular because of these rants. How many other AD's would publicly disagree with their own conference's expansion moves, but then announce that we were the best non AQ league 2 sentences later?
06-23-2014 09:54 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(06-23-2014 09:45 PM)T-Dog Wrote:  I talked to App State's WBB coach about the Thur/Sat schedule. The SoCon had Sat/Mon and she hated it because their day off was Tuesday, which wasn't really a day off with classes. A Thur/Sat schedule meant the day off would be Sunday, which is a true day off.

No he said THE COACH wanted a day off, not a player's day off (which I believe is mandated by the NCAA anyway).
06-23-2014 10:04 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(06-23-2014 09:54 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  He made a few. He ranted and raved about MTSU and WKU joining CUSA because Houston and Memphis were still in the league... He got on some rant about wanting NMSU in the league because our Chancellor was Bilingual. His biggest weakness in public speaking is that when he gets on a roll, he turns into a fan and starts rambling on and on.

Truthfully, most Arkansas State fans are used to it by now. In a way, he's more popular because of these rants. How many other AD's would publicly disagree with their own conference's expansion moves, but then announce that we were the best non AQ league 2 sentences later?

Forget it. He's rolling.
[Image: Animal_House_Rolling.jpg]
06-23-2014 10:05 PM
T-Dog Offline

Listened to the interview.

ap-puh-lay-shun

Good grief.
06-23-2014 10:08 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(06-23-2014 10:08 PM)T-Dog Wrote:  Listened to the interview.

ap-puh-lay-shun

Good grief.

There isn't a single person in our Athletic department who has pronounced it correctly yet. I don't anticipate anyone figuring it out anytime soon.
06-23-2014 10:10 PM
T-Dog Offline

We have t-shirts that have the proper pronunciation of "ap-puh-LATCH-an" on it. We can send em in the mail. Cause if you come up here and get it wrong, there's a lot of mountains up here where no one will ever find you.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2014 10:16 PM by T-Dog.)
06-23-2014 10:15 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Just remind them to remember Latch, more than Lay.
[Image: 545707_32769026_zpseb6f523e.jpg~original]
06-23-2014 10:24 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
I think it is clear that Ark. St.'s AD is in no hurry to add a 12th team as he is really not in favor of a championship game at this point. I suspect he is joined by a number of other ADs from other schools.

Conclusion is that the Sun Belt may elect to just stay at 11 going forward.

I love how Mohajir is so open and candid when asked questions. Our AD here at Ga. Southern is similar. If you ask him a question he pretty much will give you the answer.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2014 10:37 PM by GaSoEagle.)
06-23-2014 10:27 PM
GoApps70 Offline

(06-23-2014 10:27 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I think it is clear that Ark. St.'s AD is in no hurry to add a 12th team as he is really not in favor of a championship game at this point. I suspect he is joined by a number of other ADs from other schools.

Think the teams doing well and leading the football programs do not want it because it's another barrier they have to get through. A potential loss.
Believe when they are not in that position both App and GaSo will be in favor of a championship game, just our nature, and can get some of their votes then.
[Image: 4116_zpse59cabaa.gif~original]
06-23-2014 10:40 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

Terry's biggest weakness is he doesn't convey the nuances of his thoughts very effectively because he will veer off on a stream of consciousness thing that can really lead to mis-interpretation.

I've gone through this enough times with him and asked enough re-directing follow-up questions that I have full confidence his actual position is:

1. The commissioner pushed expansion to get to 12 and a title game. Terry opposes that basis for expansion because there simply isn't evidence that the money warrants expanding on that basis.
2. Terry actually favors expansion but expansion to add quality schools. He gave me some examples of the sort of schools he'd want to add and I asked him if it came down to Team A or Team B which would he support or would he just take a first to call stance. His response was he'd take any of them that applied whether that meant being at 12, or 13 or 14 because adding good members makes you stronger and that was more important than a magic number (cited the example of not taking NMSU all-sports which was initially opposed because we would have been at 13 in basketball). But he will tell you if you are at 12 you a championship game is needed because you are skipping too many schools.
3. Interesting that he elaborated on Liberty. He has talked before about their budget and facilities but I think this is the first time he has expressed in front of a microphone his reservations about their ability to recruit the needed talent. As far as the other objections to Liberty, he has in the past said his job is give his assessment of athletic related matters to the president and chancellor, the other issues are for them to consider.
06-23-2014 11:21 PM
swampbear Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(06-23-2014 10:15 PM)T-Dog Wrote:  We have t-shirts that have the proper pronunciation of "ap-puh-LATCH-an" on it. We can send em in the mail. Cause if you come up here and get it wrong, there's a lot of mountains up here where no one will ever find you.

In some ways we Louisiana Ragin Cajun fans can relate to this.....04-cheers
06-24-2014 12:26 AM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
A-State Fans:
At least your AD is interesting to listen to and not put you to sleep. Ours sounds like he belongs on NPR, all mono tone.
06-24-2014 12:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(06-24-2014 12:26 AM)swampbear Wrote:  
(06-23-2014 10:15 PM)T-Dog Wrote:  We have t-shirts that have the proper pronunciation of "ap-puh-LATCH-an" on it. We can send em in the mail. Cause if you come up here and get it wrong, there's a lot of mountains up here where no one will ever find you.

In some ways we Louisiana Ragin Cajun fans can relate to this.....04-cheers

The Acadians obviously had a sense of humor given the way things are spelled vs. the way they are pronounced.

Makes for real fun in Arkansas where we have a lot of French names and a smattering of Italian (thanks to Henri de Tonti who was an Italian who explored the area for the French) and we almost always use Anglicized pronunciations. We love it when we get a new out-of-state weatherman, because they will usually use the "correct" version which isn't correct. 03-lmfao
06-24-2014 12:43 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(06-24-2014 12:42 AM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  A-State Fans:
At least your AD is interesting to listen to and not put you to sleep. Ours sounds like he belongs on NPR, all mono tone.

Last year on senior day we were having a classic Harsin game that featured 20 rushes, mostly between the tackles for a whopping 46 yards including a fan favorite draw on third and long and a general reluctance to pass (after an opening drive of 57 yards where 54 came through the air).

Fans booed Harsin and before the team came out Harsin took the microphone thanked fans for coming out all season, said the game wasn't going the way we wanted but the team needed everyone now more than ever and then veered off into a patented stream of consciousness exhortations to get loud and support the team. By the time the team comes out the fans are on their feet and totally fired up. We get a scoop and score 21 yard fumble return then block a punt for a TD and go from down 17-7 to up 21-17 before the offense has touched the ball and the place is going totally bananas. Of course Harsin in usual fashion passes even less and rushes even more and we still are freaking lucky to get out of the game (and even luckier that Boise hired him)

But I've never seen anything like that halftime speech. Could have fallen flat and come off as phony but it was perfect.
06-24-2014 01:06 AM
Advertisement

balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(06-23-2014 10:40 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  
(06-23-2014 10:27 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I think it is clear that Ark. St.'s AD is in no hurry to add a 12th team as he is really not in favor of a championship game at this point. I suspect he is joined by a number of other ADs from other schools.

Think the teams doing well and leading the football programs do not want it because it's another barrier they have to get through. A potential loss.
Believe when they are not in that position both App and GaSo will be in favor of a championship game, just our nature, and can get some of their votes then.

I see it as simply business.....if it don't make money, then it don't make sense. barriers are welcomed when they generate money. that's why every program looks to step up (to whatever the next level is) at some point. the end result is more money.
06-24-2014 06:20 AM
GoApps70 Offline

(06-24-2014 06:20 AM)balanced_view Wrote:  
(06-23-2014 10:40 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  

I see it as simply business.....if it don't make money, then it don't make sense. barriers are welcomed when they generate money. that's why every program looks to step up (to whatever the next level is) at some point. the end result is more money.

Business will eventually dictate that the SBC competes the same as the other G5 conferences without one arm behind our back for the access bowl spot. Avoiding a potential conference championship game loss is fine, but in order to achieve the main objective of reaching the access bowl we will have to eventually implement one.
06-24-2014 07:27 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

He wasn't a fan of MTSU I see.
06-24-2014 07:58 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Not to mention the L word and their continual fun with numbers but how are they reporting a $25M budget to the Feds but telling SBC ADs its $40M?
06-24-2014 08:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.