Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Enough is Enough: New England mayors call for refugee resettlement freeze
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
[Image: 2qib3v5.jpg]

Seeing liberal Democrat Mayors in the Northeast whining about the immigrant influx just makes me smile....

Quote:The mayor of Springfield, Massachusetts has asked the federal government for a moratorium on sending refugees to the city, claiming that newly arrived families create a strain on city resources and the school system and do not receive sufficient aid from resettlement agencies.

Domenic Sarno, a Democrat, made his request in a letter sent Thursday to Rep. Richard E. Neal, D-Mass. Copies were also sent to Senators Elizabeth Warren and Ed Markey, as well as Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick.

"I'm not cold-hearted at all,” Sarno told The Republican newspaper Friday. "I want to help. All I am asking for is accountability from the agencies. You just can’t continue concentrating poverty on top of poverty."

Sarno first demanded last summer that the U.S. government stop sending refugees. But after recent inspections found Somali families living in overcrowded, pest-infested apartments without electricity and sometimes heat, he stepped up complaints, saying resettlement agencies are bringing in "warm-weather" refugees and dumping them into cold climates only to leave them dependent on the city.

"I have enough urban issues to deal with," Sarno said. "Enough is enough."

Springfield is the third-largest city in Massachusetts, with a population of 153,000. The refugee population in Springfield is estimated to be 1,500 -- roughly 1 percent of the total. According to the 2010 census, 26.8 percent of the population lived below the poverty line.

Sarno's comments have drawn a backlash from refugees who say they're being scapegoated for problems the city faced long before their arrival.

"Why not talk about the problems in the city, why not talk about the houses that are unstable and in bad conditions, why only talk about the Somalis and Somali Bantus?" Mohammed Abdi, 72, said through an interpreter.

About 100 Somalis arrived in Springfield in 2004, placed there because the city met government criteria including a public transit and other urban infrastructure. The community has grown as others reunite with family members.

Sarno says the State Department has not been receptive to his requests to stop sending refugees, echoing sentiments sometimes heard elsewhere.

Lewiston, Maine, Mayor Robert MacDonald, who in 2002 asked Somalis there to help "reduce the stress on our limited finances," took heat a decade later for saying immigrants should "accept our culture and, and you leave your culture at the door." He later clarified that he didn't expect them to abandon their religion or language but said: "I'm not going to apologize for `leave your culture behind."'

Manchester, New Hampshire, Mayor Ted Gatsas in 2011 asked the State Department to stop resettling refugees there. Last year, he told the AP he still believes the city could benefit from a break in arrivals to "get these people into working society."

Such requests are rare, said Daniel Langenkamp, a department spokesman.

"We make every effort to work with local officials and other stakeholders to ensure the resettlement of refugees is acceptable," he said.

The Department, he said, does not place refugees unless an area is equipped to handle them. The government's work with refugees in Springfield is mostly about family reunification, and it cannot keep families from moving there if they are placed elsewhere, he said.

Federal funding of about $1,800 per person helps resettlement agencies assist refugees for as long as eight months, but Springfield argues that is not enough time for some refugees to adjust.

Robert Marmor, president of Jewish Family Services, a resettlement agency in Springfield, said that aid for additional services is available from other sources and that his door is always open.

"It is unfortunate that 5 percent of refugees who struggle are the focus and not the 95 percent who are really making it," Marmor said.

Somali refugee Adan Abdi, 28, came to Springfield in 2004 with his parents and six siblings after years in refugee camps where security, food and water were scarce and a couple of pounds of corn per person had to stretch for two weeks.

"There is no comparing our new life in America to living in those camps," said Abdi, who has a wife and three children. "Springfield is my home. It's where I began my new life."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/...nt-freeze/
06-23-2014 10:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
RE: Enough is Enough: New England mayors call for refugee resettlement freeze
Where are they going to put all these people?
06-23-2014 10:57 AM
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
(06-23-2014 10:57 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Where are they going to put all these people?

Where I would send them....

[Image: 2rxk9ba.jpg]
06-23-2014 10:59 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(06-23-2014 10:59 AM)EagleRockCafe Wrote:  
(06-23-2014 10:57 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Where are they going to put all these people?

Where I would send them....

[Image: 2rxk9ba.jpg]

There's already a minority there. 03-lmfao03-lmfao
06-23-2014 11:09 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte

Home.
06-23-2014 11:47 AM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
how about we send them back where they came from or would that interfere with the Democrat's plan to bring in a new voting class?
06-23-2014 11:49 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(06-23-2014 11:49 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  how about we send them back where they came from or would that interfere with the Democrat's plan to bring in a new voting class?

Heard we are sending something like $100,000,000 to certain Central American govts to try and get them to stop the tide of folks leaving there for here. Does anyone else think that is a terrible idea? Who knows where that money will end up? Sure could have been used to secure our borders here instead of some other country's borders.
06-23-2014 11:51 AM
Advertisement

oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-23-2014 11:51 AM)VA49er Wrote:  
(06-23-2014 11:49 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  how about we send them back where they came from or would that interfere with the Democrat's plan to bring in a new voting class?

Heard we are sending something like $100,000,000 to certain Central American govts to try and get them to stop the tide of folks leaving there for here. Does anyone else think that is a terrible idea? Who knows where that money will end up? Sure could have been used to secure our borders here instead of some other country's borders.

Of course it's a terrible idea. Why can't we get someone in the White House that is willing to enforce our laws? Why is enforcing our laws so hard?

Put up a goddamned wall, send them home, stop pandering.
06-23-2014 11:54 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
The Romans also paid off the Goths to stay out. The Saxons paid off the Vikings to stay out. I would expect similar results here.
06-23-2014 12:02 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(06-23-2014 11:47 AM)VA49er Wrote:  

Home.

Damn he is sure ignorant.
06-23-2014 12:34 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Why not Detroit? I hear the housing supply is ample.
06-23-2014 04:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VA49er Offline
Legend

The Feds were planning to put 500 of these illegals in a rural Virginia town until the local townspeople rose up and said, "Hell no!!". Feds scrapped that plan. No idea where they will try and put them next.
06-23-2014 04:14 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-23-2014 12:02 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  The Romans also paid off the Goths to stay out. The Saxons paid off the Vikings to stay out. I would expect similar results here.

Then the Saxons fell to the Normans. Looks like we have the same level of idiocy still in the gene pool.
06-23-2014 04:36 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(06-23-2014 10:55 AM)EagleRockCafe Wrote:  [Image: 2qib3v5.jpg]

Seeing liberal Democrat Mayors in the Northeast whining about the immigrant influx just makes me smile....

Quote:The mayor of Springfield, Massachusetts has asked the federal government for a moratorium on sending refugees to the city, claiming that newly arrived families create a strain on city resources and the school system and do not receive sufficient aid from resettlement agencies.

Domenic Sarno, a Democrat, made his request in a letter sent Thursday to Rep. Richard E. Neal, D-Mass. Copies were also sent to Senators Elizabeth Warren and Ed Markey, as well as Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick.

"I'm not cold-hearted at all,” Sarno told The Republican newspaper Friday. "I want to help. All I am asking for is accountability from the agencies. You just can’t continue concentrating poverty on top of poverty."

Sarno first demanded last summer that the U.S. government stop sending refugees. But after recent inspections found Somali families living in overcrowded, pest-infested apartments without electricity and sometimes heat, he stepped up complaints, saying resettlement agencies are bringing in "warm-weather" refugees and dumping them into cold climates only to leave them dependent on the city.

"I have enough urban issues to deal with," Sarno said. "Enough is enough."

Springfield is the third-largest city in Massachusetts, with a population of 153,000. The refugee population in Springfield is estimated to be 1,500 -- roughly 1 percent of the total. According to the 2010 census, 26.8 percent of the population lived below the poverty line.

Sarno's comments have drawn a backlash from refugees who say they're being scapegoated for problems the city faced long before their arrival.

"Why not talk about the problems in the city, why not talk about the houses that are unstable and in bad conditions, why only talk about the Somalis and Somali Bantus?" Mohammed Abdi, 72, said through an interpreter.

About 100 Somalis arrived in Springfield in 2004, placed there because the city met government criteria including a public transit and other urban infrastructure. The community has grown as others reunite with family members.

Sarno says the State Department has not been receptive to his requests to stop sending refugees, echoing sentiments sometimes heard elsewhere.

Lewiston, Maine, Mayor Robert MacDonald, who in 2002 asked Somalis there to help "reduce the stress on our limited finances," took heat a decade later for saying immigrants should "accept our culture and, and you leave your culture at the door." He later clarified that he didn't expect them to abandon their religion or language but said: "I'm not going to apologize for `leave your culture behind."'

Manchester, New Hampshire, Mayor Ted Gatsas in 2011 asked the State Department to stop resettling refugees there. Last year, he told the AP he still believes the city could benefit from a break in arrivals to "get these people into working society."

Such requests are rare, said Daniel Langenkamp, a department spokesman.

"We make every effort to work with local officials and other stakeholders to ensure the resettlement of refugees is acceptable," he said.

The Department, he said, does not place refugees unless an area is equipped to handle them. The government's work with refugees in Springfield is mostly about family reunification, and it cannot keep families from moving there if they are placed elsewhere, he said.

Federal funding of about $1,800 per person helps resettlement agencies assist refugees for as long as eight months, but Springfield argues that is not enough time for some refugees to adjust.

Robert Marmor, president of Jewish Family Services, a resettlement agency in Springfield, said that aid for additional services is available from other sources and that his door is always open.

"It is unfortunate that 5 percent of refugees who struggle are the focus and not the 95 percent who are really making it," Marmor said.

Somali refugee Adan Abdi, 28, came to Springfield in 2004 with his parents and six siblings after years in refugee camps where security, food and water were scarce and a couple of pounds of corn per person had to stretch for two weeks.

"There is no comparing our new life in America to living in those camps," said Abdi, who has a wife and three children. "Springfield is my home. It's where I began my new life."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/...nt-freeze/

Hold on there...I thought immigrants improve the economy, isn't that what Biden said? This town should be rich.

And ya just gotta love how one of the guys being interviewed needed an interpreter. Way to assimilate, pal.
06-23-2014 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.