Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CusaSunbelt
westwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CFB
CusaSunbelt
Why don't these conferences merge? Few fans know which schools are in which conference. MWC and MAC enjoy geographic distinction, and AAC generates a lot of puff publicity thanks to Aresco, but Cusa and SB blur.
06-22-2014 03:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
RE: CusaSunbelt
(06-22-2014 03:58 PM)westwolf Wrote:  AAC generates a lot of puff publicity thanks to Aresco

I think winning national championships warrants a smidge of publicity as well.

03-lmfao
06-22-2014 04:05 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
If the Sunbelt media contract improves and the CUSA media contract drops drastically to the point where the earnings of both conferences are basically the same----then a move to merge or to shuffle membership into more cost efficient reorganized regional conferences might occur. As long as CUSA teams make a million bucks and Sunbelt teams make 20K each, it wont happen.
06-22-2014 04:25 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I think your struggle to keep them straight is more reflective of you than the conferences inability to distinguish themselves from one another.
06-22-2014 04:56 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
CusaSunbelt
UTEP won't be in a conference with NMSU. Louisiana Tech won't be in a conference with ULM. USM doesn't want to be in a conference with USA. There's probably a few others I'm omitting, but you get the idea.

There are also 25 teams right now between the two conferences, so until Idaho gets booted or somebody adds UMass, there's that little detail to address.

Even if you put aside those differences, the simplest solution of sending NMSU, UL, ULM, stAte, and TX ST to C-USA in exchange for Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, FAU, and FIU leaves UAB and USM with the western group. The only exception would be is if Idaho goes to the western group and UAB joins the eastern group (the old Sun Belt) with UMass or James Madison.

CUSA West:
NMSU/UTEP
UTSA/TX ST
Rice/UNT (or Rice/Idaho)

CUSA East:
UAB/USM (or USM/UNT)
Louisiana/ULM
Ark State/Louisiana Tech

SBC South:
Georgia St/Georgia So
FAU/FIU
USA/Troy
(UAB if 14 teams)

SBC North:
ODU/Marshall
Charlotte/App State
Middle Tennessee/WKU
(JMU or UMass if 14 teams)

In the 26-team version, Idaho could potentially be replaced by Missouri State, which would keep UNT in C-USA West.
06-22-2014 08:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(06-22-2014 04:05 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(06-22-2014 03:58 PM)westwolf Wrote:  AAC generates a lot of puff publicity thanks to Aresco

I think winning national championships warrants a smidge of publicity as well.

03-lmfao

ugh I hate to agree with BigEastHomer on anything...but I agree here
06-22-2014 08:26 PM
Advertisement

perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
The merger that should have happened was the 4 leftover Big East schools (UConn, Cinci, USF, Temple) should have "merged" with the 4 remaining Non-AQ conferences, forming the G4. Instead, The BE4 "merged" with CUSA, causing the leftover CUSA teams to "merge" with the Sun Belt, which forced the Sun Belt to "merge" with the homeless (NMSU and Idaho) and everyone called up a ton of FCS teams to fill in the gaps with dreams of "TV markets" and "future potential".

Of the 61 teams in the G5 today 52 were in FBS 3 years ago. 52/4=13 (that doesn't included indys BYU, Army and Navy). I would have rather seen those 52 schools (plus or minus a couple teams) form a strong G4, but that ship has sailed.
06-22-2014 10:36 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(06-22-2014 03:58 PM)westwolf Wrote:  Why don't these conferences merge? Few fans know which schools are in which conference. MWC and MAC enjoy geographic distinction, and AAC generates a lot of puff publicity thanks to Aresco, but Cusa and SB blur.

This really is a big problem for CUSA/SBC. Before CUSA had a huge tradition advantage on the SBC making CUSA a clear step up. They say that tradition never graduates. In this case the tradition did graduate to the AAC. CUSA reloaded with SBC schools and 4 recent upgrades (WKU, UTSA, Charlotte, ODU). I know WKU has been at the top level for 5 years or so but is still fairly recent.

Some of the FCS call ups by the SBC further compound the identity problem because schools like Appalachian State and Georgia Southern have recognized names in college football while CUSA additions in many cases don't. What was CUSA thinking by adding Charlotte over Appalachian State? That in particular made no sense by CUSA to bring in a school with a 15,000 seat stadium that had never played a down of football before.
06-23-2014 12:50 AM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
(06-23-2014 12:50 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(06-22-2014 03:58 PM)westwolf Wrote:  Why don't these conferences merge? Few fans know which schools are in which conference. MWC and MAC enjoy geographic distinction, and AAC generates a lot of puff publicity thanks to Aresco, but Cusa and SB blur.

This really is a big problem for CUSA/SBC. Before CUSA had a huge tradition advantage on the SBC making CUSA a clear step up. They say that tradition never graduates. In this case the tradition did graduate to the AAC. CUSA reloaded with SBC schools and 4 recent upgrades (WKU, UTSA, Charlotte, ODU). I know WKU has been at the top level for 5 years or so but is still fairly recent.

Some of the FCS call ups by the SBC further compound the identity problem because schools like Appalachian State and Georgia Southern have recognized names in college football while CUSA additions in many cases don't. What was CUSA thinking by adding Charlotte over Appalachian State? That in particular made no sense by CUSA to bring in a school with a 15,000 seat stadium that had never played a down of football before.

App State is in the sticks. They have also lost their longtime coach that built them into consistent winners and have been mediocre since.

Charlotte, on the other hand, is in one of the largest cities in the south, has a prior relationship with the conference, has better Olympic sports including basketball, and has greater financial resources at its disposal.

Short term, App State is the better option. However, looking ten years down the road, Charlotte should quickly eclipse them.
06-23-2014 07:29 AM
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
Thanks for thinking of us (C-USA), but no thanks. I think most of us are happy where we are (and that probably is true for both SBC and C-USA.)

Opportunities to play USM, UAB, North Texas, UTSA, UTEP, Rice and LaTech (one home and one away, yearly) are more attractive to me than playing Troy, App State, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, or South Alabama). I mean no disrespect, It's just my preference.

Plus, I like the long term potential of our Eastern Division mates: WKU, MTSU, Charlotte and ODU in particular since they are all quite drivable for MU fans. And I live in Florida so love the annual games with FIU and FAU.

C-USA is just fine with me, as it is.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2014 08:13 AM by Cnelson203.)
06-23-2014 07:42 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(06-23-2014 12:50 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

The CUSA tradition isn't necessarily tied to the individual schools but in the fact that CUSA has repeatedly, as a conference, given individual schools the chance to improve themselves and eventually move on. Had the Sunbelt been able to do that? THAT's the difference.
06-23-2014 07:58 AM
Advertisement

MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
(06-22-2014 03:58 PM)westwolf Wrote:  Why don't these conferences merge?

Because it would be a 25 team conference.
06-23-2014 08:08 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
(06-22-2014 10:36 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  The merger that should have happened was the 4 leftover Big East schools (UConn, Cinci, USF, Temple) should have "merged" with the 4 remaining Non-AQ conferences.

This. Had the C-USA defectors shown some foresight and just sat still for a second, it would've forced UConn, Cinci, USF, and Temple to join C-USA. Thus, creating four conferences vying for the one Access Bowl spot instead of five and all the AAC teams would still be playing all the schools they're now playing anyway.
06-23-2014 08:16 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Well if Appalachian State is in the sticks what does that make La Tech?

Or Western Kentucky?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
06-23-2014 08:41 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(06-23-2014 08:16 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(06-22-2014 10:36 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  The merger that should have happened was the 4 leftover Big East schools (UConn, Cinci, USF, Temple) should have "merged" with the 4 remaining Non-AQ conferences.

This. Had the C-USA defectors shown some foresight and just sat still for a second, it would've forced UConn, Cinci, USF, and Temple to join C-USA. Thus, creating four conferences vying for the one Access Bowl spot instead of five and all the AAC teams would still be playing all the schools they're now playing anyway.

Actually, there was still an opportunity to get to a solid G4 after the Big East raid. The planned CUSA-MW merger to form the Alliance would have accomplished the same thing. In fact, the CUSA-MW merger would have been aa formidable group and the only national collegiate conference in the nation. It's formation would have eliminated the need for all these FCS call-ups.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2014 08:55 AM by Attackcoog.)
06-23-2014 08:54 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU

So because some non-CUSA and non-SunBelt fans are confused what teams are in those conferences you think that both conference offices are going to consider a merger just to have a 50% chance of not being needed after it happens?
06-23-2014 08:54 AM
Advertisement

IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
(06-22-2014 10:36 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  The merger that should have happened was the 4 leftover Big East schools (UConn, Cinci, USF, Temple) should have "merged" with the 4 remaining Non-AQ conferences, forming the G4. Instead, The BE4 "merged" with CUSA, causing the leftover CUSA teams to "merge" with the Sun Belt, which forced the Sun Belt to "merge" with the homeless (NMSU and Idaho) and everyone called up a ton of FCS teams to fill in the gaps with dreams of "TV markets" and "future potential".

Of the 61 teams in the G5 today 52 were in FBS 3 years ago. 52/4=13 (that doesn't included indys BYU, Army and Navy). I would have rather seen those 52 schools (plus or minus a couple teams) form a strong G4, but that ship has sailed.

Ummm you have your story a little messed up! The old Big East IS the American - same offices, mostly the same staff, same bylaws, same NCAA governance structure, and automatic bids... prior to the C-7 split that left UConn, Cincy, USF, and Temple as all-sport / football playing members you forget that UCF, Houston, SMU, Memphis, ECU, Tulane, and Navy were already set to join the conference as members!

It wasn't a case of we're down to four, lets raid other conferences - the conference was in the process of expanding as teams were being raided and then the C-7 split. Plus, why would the remaining schools and the incoming ones give up on the Big East/American money? It's far greater than the other non-power conferences!

The NCAA units and the exit fees alone is more than $100-million nest egg being shared over the next six years with members and their media contract is paying more than any of the other non-power conferences. Not to mention the conference had a BCS AQ this year and got millions more as an AQ conference and a BCS bowl winning conference -that the other non-power conferences didn't get - you don't just dissolve and give up money because other non-power conferences think it would have been cleaner or easier for them!
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2014 09:08 AM by IceJus10.)
06-23-2014 09:06 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
I think the real confusion in a few years is going to be between C-USA and the American....05-stirthepot
06-23-2014 09:22 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
This will all break down eventually and people will want to look for new dance partners
06-23-2014 09:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(06-23-2014 08:16 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  

No.. It would have been all of us playing each other + the fat we trimmed
06-23-2014 09:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.