Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Do offshoring and immigration really increase unemployment?
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Not quite, according to this study by economists at the London School of Economics.

Quote:We find that offshoring has no effect on native
employment in the aggregate, while the effect of immigration on native employment is positive. This hints at the presence of a “productivity effect" whereby offshoring and immigration improve industry efficiency, thereby creating new jobs.

It's just over two years old, but I figure that they'd reach the same conclusions if they conducted their research today.

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/dp1147.pdf
06-21-2014 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Do offshoring and immigration really increase unemployment?
It may produce more white collar jobs, but it would be hard to convince me that it doesn't hurt those that work/worked blue collar jobs.
06-21-2014 12:25 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(06-21-2014 12:25 PM)Niner National Wrote:  It may produce more white collar jobs, but it would be hard to convince me that it doesn't hurt those that work/worked blue collar jobs.
If owners of companies that offshore jobs reinvest their additional profits in goods and services produced domestically, then it can replace jobs that were lost. If they just buy more imported goods, not so much.
06-22-2014 09:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(06-22-2014 09:01 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  
(06-21-2014 12:25 PM)Niner National Wrote:  It may produce more white collar jobs, but it would be hard to convince me that it doesn't hurt those that work/worked blue collar jobs.
If owners of companies that offshore jobs reinvest their additional profits in goods and services produced domestically, then it can replace jobs that were lost. If they just buy more imported goods, not so much.

They're doing neither. To avoid repatriation taxes, they are leaving money overseas. It's being reinvested, but there rather than here.
06-22-2014 09:09 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Rand Paul on Face the Nation wants repatriation of this money to build roads,
but says nothing much about how to do it.
06-22-2014 09:25 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(06-22-2014 09:25 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Rand Paul on Face the Nation wants repatriation of this money to build roads, but says nothing much about how to do it.

What I have discussed with him, and I think he agrees, is to do what both Bowles-Simpson and Domenici-Rivlin recommended. Lower US corporate tax rates to world-competitive levels and join the rest of the world in adopting a territorial tax system.

My idea for infrastructure specifically is something I have never discussed with Rand, but have done so with his dad, who agrees, and that is to privatize the federal infrastructure activities--interstate highways (national toll road network), post office, air traffic control, TVA and the western power agencies, reclamation agencies. Transfer the assets to the social security fund in repayment of debts owed. Set them up to earn 5% ROI, and use that money to pay down the social security deficit. Invest social security funds in them going forward to provide a source of capital. Ultimately, equities in these companies could become the basis for privatizing a portion of social security.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2014 09:34 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
06-22-2014 09:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.