Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tulsa World Update on Frank Haith's Transition and the State of Tulsa MBB
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
Tulsa World Update on Frank Haith's Transition and the State of Tulsa MBB
Link...[url= http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportshomepage...html]World Article on TUMBB[/url]

The University of Tulsa basketball program was rocked last April, when coach Danny Manning departed for Wake Forest and Missouri’s Frank Haith made the stunning decision to leave the Tigers and become the Golden Hurricane’s new head man.

On Wednesday — exactly two months after his introductory news conference — Haith presided over a practice session at the Reynolds Center. The players seemed comfortable with Haith and also seemed to savor time in the gym and a return to normalcy.

Haith seemed encouraged by his inheritance....

Returning for the 2014-15 season — to face AAC opponents like defending national champion Connecticut, Memphis and Cincinnati — are 10 Hurricane players who provided 78 percent of the scoring and 67 percent of the rebounding for the 2013-14 squad that captured the Conference USA Tournament title and took TU to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2003.

“It’s a dream come true — to be put on a stage in one of the top conferences in the nation,” Hurricane forward Rashad Smith said. “It’s kind of mind-blowing.”

Smith, C-USA Tournament MVP James Woodard, Shaq Harrison, Rashad Ray, D’Andre Wright, Brandon Swannegan and Marquel Curtis have begun preparations for their junior season. There isn’t a senior on the roster.

Last season, the 6-foot-9 Wright averaged 7.4 points and 3.9 rebounds. In 12 games, he scored no more than five points. In 15 games, he collected no more than three rebounds. Against UCLA in the NCAA Tournament, Wright scored 18 points on 7-of-10 shooting.

In 2014-15, Haith would like to see that level of productivity on an every-game basis.

“His potential is off the chart,” Haith said of Wright. “He can be a great talent. It’s a matter of him being consistent with it. I don’t think he knows how good he is. He’s got great size, good hands, good footwork and the ability to shoot the ball.

“We need him to be a double-figure scorer for us, and I’d love for him to be a double-figure rebounder. That’s a lofty jump up from what he did last year, but I think he’s capable.”

Woodard predicted that Wright can deliver substantially more impact next season.

“With this system, I think it will unleash some things (from Wright) that people haven’t seen yet,” Woodard said. “It’s going to be hard for people to guard D’Andre.”

Comparing the current state of the Tulsa program to the program of 2011-12, Smith said, “I think it’s night-and-day different. Compared to my freshman year, I think it’s totally different — 100 percent. I embrace the change. We all embrace the change.”
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2014 10:33 AM by invisiblehand.)
06-20-2014 10:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
RE: Tulsa World Update on Frank Haith's Transition and the State of Tulsa MBB
Haith is a jerk. I think I've said this before, but I used to go to Dave Odom/Wake Forest basketball camps when I was younger, and Haith was an assistant coach at the time. He was my camp counselor and coach for the week. The guy was a jerk... acted like he didn't want to be there (I don't blame him, honestly lol) and was just a smug, arrogant guy.

Maybe the years have changed him... he's a good coach, but my only experience with him was a bad one.

...all that said, he coached my team to 3 on 3 & 5 on 5 championships that week. Haha
06-20-2014 10:32 AM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: Tulsa World Update on Frank Haith's Transition and the State of Tulsa MBB
Ya, he hasn't shown me much to think he's a great guy. But, he has proven he can coach when he has a very good team (which we do for the next 2 years at least)
06-20-2014 10:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.