Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
My football D-1 playoff format
UMass Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
My football D-1 playoff format
There will be major BOWL groups. The Orange Bowl (Big East vs ACC), the Rose Bowl (BIG 10 vs PAC 10) , the Cotton Bowl Group OLD BIG 12 teams and the Sugar Bowl Group OLD SEC teams. Each major bowl Group will be broken into 2 conferences. Each conference should have 4 anchor teams. These anchor teams are a combination of traditional conference teams, teams that have a good fans base or a team that commands good market share. (I am trying to distribute the power of college football here to make each conference with 4 good teams that could anchor each conference.) Each conference needs min 9 teams that play 8 conference games. Therefore the Big 10 and Pac 10 do not have to change. Their conferences will be matched together. The SEC breaks into two conferences that will be affiliated. The Big 12 breaks into 2 conferences that will be affiliated and the Big East Conference will be affiliated with the ACC.
11-08-2006 09:11 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

njndirish Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Notre Dame

16 Teams
ACC, BE, B10, B12, CUSA, MAC, MWC, P10, SB, SEC, WAC
5-At larges using the BCS system
11-08-2006 09:50 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad

I always liked the idea of eight conference champs advance plus four wild cards. Set it up like the NFL playoffs, but with rotating host bowl games. The eight conferences ACC, Big 10, SEC, CUSA, Big East, Big 12, Pac 10, and the MWC. All worthy teams that miss the playoffs would go to bowls like the Humanitarian Bowl.
02-08-2007 08:06 PM
dwr0109 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Winning
RE: My football D-1 playoff format
I like the 16 team format. Each conference gets a rep. 5 at larges should take care of any other deserving teams that didn't win the conference. 4 sets of games. 4 weeks. Its over.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2008 11:50 PM by dwr0109.)
11-21-2008 11:50 PM
Advertisement

TheLurker Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: The Zags
I really want a playoff. 12 or 16 or 8 or 4, I don't care. I don't even care if you keep the same backwards bowl system so the Big Ten and Pac Ten can't complain. But it just has so many things working against it right now.

One major factor is that a college football playoff completely overshadows the NFL playoffs.

If we are going to do a playoff, I think we should include all conference champions, with a few minor tweaks to non-BCS. First, I would move Boise State and Fresno State to the Mountain West Conference. Secondly, I would demote both the remaining WAC schools and the Sun Belt to a Playoff subdivision with the upper half of Division 1-AA. However, these schools would be eligible to be ranked. As a bonus, any top 20 playoff school would be eligible to compete in my postseason tournament.

For safety and scheduling purposes, I would also add Memphis to the Big East.

First, my tournament (mainly to shut up the regular season doesn't matter people) would contain 11 teams. Seven conferences would have automatic bids: The Big East, The MWC, The ACC, the SEC, The PAC Ten, The Big Twelve, and the Big Ten. The top four conference champions from these seven conferences would represent the top four seeds in my conference tournament.

The MAC and C-USA would also retain automatic bids, but only to a lesser seed. The two conference champions will play each other for a winner take all at large bid.

The PAC Ten and Big Ten champions would both automatically advance to the second round to face each other in the Rose Bowl.

The other five conferences will face each other in one of three seperate three team regionals.

The first regional, held at the Orange Bowl, will house the ACC champion, the Big East Champion, and an at-large team.

The second regional will be held in New Orleans, Louisiana at the Sugar Bowl. It will house the SEC champion, the MAC/C-USA champion, and an at-large team.

The third regional will house the Big Twelve, the MWC, and an at-large team. It will be held at the Fiesta Bowl.

The at-large teams will be slotted regionally to allow for maximum rivalry matchups. The Bowls will actually benefit from this playoff because they now have two games instead of one game. Thus, more profits.

The semifinals will be at the Cotton Bowl in the West, and the eastern semifinals will be held inside Giants Stadium in New York City.

The final will rotate between Las Vegas, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Philiadelphia and Orlando.

A 2008-09 Braket would look a little like this:

4.Utah
5.Southern Cal
1.Texas

1.Penn State
2.Oregon State

4.Georgia Tech
5.Florida
1.Cincinatti

4.Ball State/ECU
5.Oklahoma
1. Alabama
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2008 05:37 PM by TheLurker.)
11-28-2008 05:35 PM
dwr0109 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Winning
Way too complicated. Seed it based on performance, just like the ncaa tourney. No conference should be guaranteed a #1 seed. If you're good enough to earn one, you'll prove it on the field.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2009 12:16 AM by dwr0109.)
03-11-2009 12:14 AM
uofmtg Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
I think all conferences should be required to have 12 football members. You could have some at larges, but if you cant win your conference championship, or at least playing for it, you should NOT have a chance to win the national title. So, I guess the only at larges could be conference championship runner-ups. What would happen to the other conferences in D-1? Many teams would move around initially with every conference moving to 12 teams. BE would need 4 teams, B10 needs 1, Pac10 needs 2. So that would be at least 7 spots made available to teams in the sunbelt etc that could move into cusa, mwc, etc. as teams move around.
03-28-2009 04:00 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.