Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sounds like good news for Chris Wallace
Bookmark and Share
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Donators
Sounds like good news for Chris Wallace
I haven't lived in my hometown for quite some time, but I certainly remember introducing myself and talking to Chris Wallace at the BOK Arena in Tulsa when the Tigers faced Arizona. Chris was there with his son and had on major Tiger gear. This guy is a consumate supporter and pillar of the Memphis sports community. He supports the Tigers, Redbirds and of course the Grizzlies. He is adept at talent evaluation as well. We should be proud to have this man lead our franchise. Way to go, Pera.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/111046...gm-waiting
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2014 10:34 PM by k2tigers.)
06-18-2014 10:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JerryJeff Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Sounds like good news for Chris Wallace
Good news indeed. I like Wallace.
06-19-2014 08:30 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
Weird. So they get rid of his "interim" title only to hire a GM-in-waiting...essentially making Wallace a de facto "interim" GM.
06-19-2014 10:26 AM
UofMark Offline
Heisman

Sounds like Pera 'wants' to give the job to Wallace but just isn't quite convinced yet. We have a good draft next Thursday and I think the job will be his permanently.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 10:16 PM by UofMark.)
06-19-2014 11:12 AM
spankadelphia Offline
Banned

Not sure how I feel about this. The guy has made a career out of being a doormat in the war room. I would rather have a cut throat snake-oil salesman like Levien who could pull of highway robbery like that Arthur for Koufos trade as our GM. If Wallace is in charge of negotiations with Z-Bo we are going to end up paying him 3 yrs/40 million. We need someone who's ready and willing to send Tayshaun to the glue factory and send Z-Bo or TA packing if necessary.
06-19-2014 08:49 PM
Advertisement

Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(06-19-2014 08:49 PM)spankadelphia Wrote:  Not sure how I feel about this. The guy has made a career out of being a doormat in the war room. I would rather have a cut throat snake-oil salesman like Levien who could pull of highway robbery like that Arthur for Koufos trade as our GM. If Wallace is in charge of negotiations with Z-Bo we are going to end up paying him 3 yrs/40 million. We need someone who's ready and willing to send Tayshaun to the glue factory and send Z-Bo or TA packing if necessary.

Hmm...

Randolph and Gay got the big money deals because of Heisley.

Wallace can make savvy deals. Look at Conley.
06-19-2014 10:09 PM
spankadelphia Offline
Banned

Conley's perceived value wasn't very high at the time. No one saw him as anything close to All-Star caliber or he would be making more.

I'm more concerned about Wallace being taken advantage of by other cutthroat GM's than by our own players.
06-20-2014 08:26 AM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

Good news for Chris Wallace would be not saying we are getting a GM in waiting.

That's more like getting a temporary stay. If you are a lame duck, who respects you?
06-20-2014 09:07 AM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(06-20-2014 08:26 AM)spankadelphia Wrote:  Conley's perceived value wasn't very high at the time. No one saw him as anything close to All-Star caliber or he would be making more.

I'm more concerned about Wallace being taken advantage of by other cutthroat GM's than by our own players.

As someone who so it in Conley before the masses, obviously Wallace did to.

Wallace doesn't get taken advantage of by other GMs.

Wallace is a sneaky fellow. He's nice and all, but you never know what he is hiding behind that smile. He's a great kiss ass, but he has his own strong opinions and extensive experience scouting talent. Plus his best friend is Sonny Vacarro. No way in hell Chris Wallace is a sucker.
06-20-2014 09:10 AM
Advertisement

mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(06-20-2014 09:10 AM)Latilleon Wrote:  
(06-20-2014 08:26 AM)spankadelphia Wrote:  Conley's perceived value wasn't very high at the time. No one saw him as anything close to All-Star caliber or he would be making more.

Wallace is a sneaky fellow. He's nice and all, but you never know what he is hiding behind that smile. He's a great kiss ass, but he has his own strong opinions and extensive experience scouting talent. Plus his best friend is Sonny Vacarro. No way in hell Chris Wallace is a sucker.

Wallace got reamed by coaches, fans and the press for trading Pau. That got us Marc along with freeing up cap space for Zbo. Some people still think he was taken advantage of then but that trade worked well for both teams.
06-20-2014 09:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(06-20-2014 09:21 AM)mairving Wrote:  

Wallace got reamed by coaches, fans and the press for trading Pau. That got us Marc along with freeing up cap space for Zbo. Some people still think he was taken advantage of then but that trade worked well for both teams.

Heisley told Wallace to cut the payroll and get a deal. Most media criticism was about who he went to (rich get richer).

My personal complaint was we didn't dump salary (Lakers should have taken Brian Cardinal) and/or get better draft picks.
06-20-2014 09:56 AM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(06-20-2014 09:56 AM)Latilleon Wrote:  
(06-20-2014 09:21 AM)mairving Wrote:  

Heisley told Wallace to cut the payroll and get a deal. Most media criticism was about who he went to (rich get richer).

My personal complaint was we didn't dump salary (Lakers should have taken Brian Cardinal) and/or get better draft picks.

Gosh, I forgot about Brian Cardinal. Thanks for reminding me. 03-banghead
06-20-2014 10:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
spankadelphia Offline
Banned

The Gasol trade was a horrible deal. The only reason it appears we broke even was Marc morphed from a late second round pick into an All-Star center. Chicago offered a much more substantial rebuilding package with Noah, Sefalosha, and VALUABLE picks. Remember, when we sent Pau to LA they made the Finals 3 times in a row and the picks we got in return essentially turned into second rounders. We didn't get ONE lottery pick out of the deal.
06-20-2014 02:38 PM
Advertisement

Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(06-20-2014 02:38 PM)spankadelphia Wrote:  The Gasol trade was a horrible deal. The only reason it appears we broke even was Marc morphed from a late second round pick into an All-Star center. Chicago offered a much more substantial rebuilding package with Noah, Sefalosha, and VALUABLE picks. Remember, when we sent Pau to LA they made the Finals 3 times in a row and the picks we got in return essentially turned into second rounders. We didn't get ONE lottery pick out of the deal.

I don't remember Bulls offering Noah.

If that was the deal, they'd be stupid not to take.

Follow-up... Just googled it...

Yeah... Marc Gasol / Noah is a wash. Gasol is better passer and more size, but I think Noah is a better defender and rebounder.

I would have done the Bulls deal. But we still would have had Brian Cardinal.
06-20-2014 07:18 PM
spankadelphia Offline
Banned

Jerry West was hooking his old team up. Did more work for them than us when he was our GM.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Gasol and would honestly take him over Noah, but the fact of the matter is (Marc) Gasol's trade value was non-existent at the time, and if Wallace was "high" on him as he claims, his draft rights could have been had for cash or a second rounder. We got ROLLED and Wallace presided over the whole thing...along with the Thabeet pick, etc...
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2014 08:29 AM by spankadelphia.)
06-21-2014 08:28 AM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(06-21-2014 08:28 AM)spankadelphia Wrote:  Jerry West was hooking his old team up. Did more work for them than us when he was our GM.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Gasol and would honestly take him over Noah, but the fact of the matter is (Marc) Gasol's trade value was non-existent at the time, and if Wallace was "high" on him as he claims, his draft rights could have been had for cash or a second rounder. We got ROLLED and Wallace presided over the whole thing...along with the Thabeet pick, etc...

Thabeet wasn't Wallace's decision. Many major decision were made with or for Chris Wallace and not by Chris Wallace.

Thabeet wasn't his fault. He doesn't get credit for Lionel Hollins.
06-21-2014 12:43 PM
Downtown Tiger Offline
Banned

From what I heard Tony Barone is who wanted Thabeet and at that time he had Heisley's ear.
06-23-2014 06:37 PM
Advertisement

spankadelphia Offline
Banned

Doesn't matter. I know he didn't make the pick. The point is he's not the type of guy that commands respect in the war room on draft day, or at the negotiating table when it's time to hammer out extensions. We're about to get fleeced by Zbo's agent. Just watch.

I hope Joerger is in charge of the draft, and I hope we send Wallace into retirement. Anyone who had anything to do with the Heisely regime/Jerry West robbery needs to be gone.
06-24-2014 09:00 AM
JerryJeff Offline
All American

I Root For:
(06-24-2014 09:00 AM)spankadelphia Wrote:  Doesn't matter. I know he didn't make the pick. The point is he's not the type of guy that commands respect in the war room on draft day, or at the negotiating table when it's time to hammer out extensions. We're about to get fleeced by Zbo's agent. Just watch.

I hope Joerger is in charge of the draft, and I hope we send Wallace into retirement. Anyone who had anything to do with the Heisely regime/Jerry West robbery needs to be gone.

Sounds like you have been in the draft room and sat across the negotiating table with Wallace. Tell us about it? Must get pretty tense in the draft room, well except for Wallace who is probably sitting in the corner playing solitaire...
06-25-2014 02:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

photo cincinnati.png  photo connecticut.png  photo east_carolina.png  photo houston.png  photo memphis.png  photo navy.png  photo smu.png  photo temple.png  photo tulane.png  photo central_florida.png  photo south_florida.png
 photo louisville.png  photo rutgers.png

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.