UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

U Cal-Irvine in CWS playing Vandy tonight
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
U Cal-Irvine in CWS playing Vandy tonight
I have sort of adopted U Cal-Irvine because it is about the same age as UAB (founded in 1965) and was built literally from scratch on 1,000 acres of Orange County land (called the Irvine Ranch) sold by James Irvine to the U Cal system for $1. It was named for the man as the city of Irvine was not begun until 1975. Today it has over 1,500 acres and is one of ten U Cal campuses (three founded in the 1960s).

It makes a good study to show the difference in what a wealthy state like Cal can build in about the same time frame as what a poor state can build in the same period. UCI enrollment is already the equal of present UA and AU main campus enrollments.

U Cal-Irvine has an enrollment of about 29,000 (2012), an acceptance rate of 42% and offers 80 undergrad degrees and 98 graduate and professional degrees. It offers scholarships in 18 men and women's sports and has won 19 national championships in various sports. The first sport on campus was water polo because its natatorium was the first athletic facility built.

Its school mascot is Peter the Anteater, chosen by student vote back in the 60s when the comic strip "B.C." by Johnny Hart was at its peak of popularity. That was the publicity that brought it to my attention in news media because the school's President voided the vote on the grounds such an animal was inappropriate for the school. The new vote was even more in favor of the Anteater and he gave in. One of their cheers is "1,2,3,ZOT!!", the sound written in the strip when the anteater strikes.

YES, I GOOGLED for the statistical info. Now I will just watch the game and pull for UCI.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 05:49 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
06-16-2014 05:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB
RE: U Cal-Irvine in CWS playing Vandy tonight
Not to be confused with Ant the Peter Eater

[Image: MV5BMTg2MTA2OTIyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjY5...17_AL_.jpg]
06-16-2014 05:47 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
BBF, I think you like Memphis Blazer getting on you about your ramblings. You should have posted this on the Bar and Grille board.
06-16-2014 05:47 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(06-16-2014 05:47 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  BBF, I think you like Memphis Blazer getting on you about your ramblings. You should have posted this on the Bar and Grille board.

I thought about it, but the game is tonight and I felt the comparisons to our state's treatment of UAB made it at least "somewhat BR". I have spoken before about our state's "small university" model, and how I feel UAB should be allowed to break that tradition-bound mold and be more like USF and UCF - and now UCI - all 3 about the same age as UAB.

The mods can move it tomorrow if they feel strongly about it. There is also the thread about promotions to P-5 that has 20 pages of B&G material.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 06:34 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
06-16-2014 06:08 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(06-16-2014 05:47 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  BBF, I think you like Memphis Blazer getting on you about your ramblings. You should have posted this on the Bar and Grille board.

I am far from the only one that gets after him. I'd say others stay on his case more than me.

The mods could move it tonight as well
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 06:11 PM by Memphis Blazer.)
06-16-2014 06:10 PM
BlazerMurray Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UAB, like duh.
(06-16-2014 05:43 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  I have sort of adopted U Cal-Irvine because it is about the same age as UAB (founded in 1965) and was built literally from scratch on 1,000 acres of Orange County land (called the Irvine Ranch) sold by James Irvine to the U Cal system for $1. It was named for the man as the city of Irvine was not begun until 1975. Today it has over 1,500 acres and is one of ten U Cal campuses (three founded in the 1960s).

It makes a good study to show the difference in what a wealthy state like Cal can build in about the same time frame as what a poor state can build in the same period. UCI enrollment is already the equal of present UA and AU main campus enrollments.

U Cal-Irvine has an enrollment of about 29,000 (2012), an acceptance rate of 42% and offers 80 undergrad degrees and 98 graduate and professional degrees. It offers scholarships in 18 men and women's sports and has won 19 national championships in various sports. The first sport on campus was water polo because its natatorium was the first athletic facility built.

Its school mascot is Peter the Anteater, chosen by student vote back in the 60s when the comic strip "B.C." by Johnny Hart was at its peak of popularity. That was the publicity that brought it to my attention in news media because the school's President voided the vote on the grounds such an animal was inappropriate for the school. The new vote was even more in favor of the Anteater and he gave in. One of their cheers is "1,2,3,ZOT!!", the sound written in the strip when the anteater strikes.

YES, I GOOGLED for the statistical info. Now I will just watch the game and pull for UCI.

i think i'll stick with wikipedia
06-16-2014 07:04 PM
Advertisement

TPBlaze84 Offline
1st String

I have always thought the Ant-Eater story was pretty funny. Watching right now, the UC-I baseball uniforms are pretty cool looking
06-16-2014 07:10 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

Why should they move it. Its got just as mich to do with UAB as other NBR post that are put up and never moved. Pretty much if you move this thread, the mods need to move the G5 thread that become a word association thread. Going by the board rules MB is close to bullying BBF if he doesn't call for other NBR threads to be moved to B&G
06-16-2014 07:37 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

[Image: Aardvarkant.jpg]
06-16-2014 07:44 PM
TPBlaze84 Offline
1st String

The Vandy pitcher is melting down on the mound
06-16-2014 07:49 PM
blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
You could do us all a favor and just move to a "rich" state like California. Let us know how things really are there. And I'm with mb on this as much as anybody. He takes whatever opportunity he can get to bring politics and schools into any thread.
06-16-2014 08:01 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(06-16-2014 07:37 PM)rook360 Wrote:  Why should they move it. Its got just as mich to do with UAB as other NBR post that are put up and never moved. Pretty much if you move this thread, the mods need to move the G5 thread that become a word association thread. Going by the board rules MB is close to bullying BBF if he doesn't call for other NBR threads to be moved to B&G

03-lmfao

You are so obsessed with me. I hope you are a female.
06-16-2014 08:19 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(06-16-2014 08:01 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  You could do us all a favor and just move to a "rich" state like California. Let us know how things really are there. And I'm with mb on this as much as anybody. He takes whatever opportunity he can get to bring politics and schools into any thread.

Common Alabama reaction to reading whatever displeases you. If one is critical of anything southern, just leave and go away somewhere else. Many have done just that which is why Alabama may be on the cusp of losing at least one MORE House seat in 2020. Being the conservative political center of America has cost this state two electoral votes in the last 50 years and perhaps one or two more by 2021 in the midst of the fastest growing region (Sun Belt) in America.

Perhaps Wayne Flynt should have titled his book on Alabama "Po' but Proud - and Stubborn"
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2014 02:31 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
06-17-2014 02:29 PM
blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
I live in alabama and have since I was ten. I was born in New Jersey. I think I may know more about the rich states than you because I have experienced it. I am by no means rich, but I make a decent living off my education in this state. Not poor. Not southern. Proud of where I live though.
06-17-2014 07:03 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

About as obsessed as you are over BBF.
06-17-2014 07:43 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(06-17-2014 07:03 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  I live in alabama and have since I was ten. I was born in New Jersey. I think I may know more about the rich states than you because I have experienced it. I am by no means rich, but I make a decent living off my education in this state. Not poor. Not southern. Proud of where I live though.

The "you" was not to be you personally but a general you as applies to Alabamians. I apologize for the confusion. It is good YOU are a citizen of the state, but any comparison between the stats for UCI and UAB will not be to our school's advantage although the two schools are essentially the same age. That appears to be where the similarity between the two schools ends.

UAB is in the state that led all 50 states in cutting per pupil state funding for all levels of its public schools since 2008 (almost $1400), and UAB and other state universities have had to ANNUALLY raise student's tuition costs in order to make up for it for the past 7 years (counting the recent increase for 2015).
06-17-2014 09:57 PM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
You are aware of the fact that California has a slightly higher population than Alabama, correct?
06-17-2014 10:06 PM
screaminblazer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Blazers!!!!!
Here is a proud Blazer fan that works in Irvine (and live a few miles down the road in Mission Viejo). They have a really good baseball team, and a nice stadium that looks out over the Newport "Back Bay".

With two kids going off to college in the next couple of years, I know that to be guaranteed admission to UCI, a California student must attain a 4.01 core GPA (third highest of UC schools). I have hired 5 UCI graduates in Computer Science over the past three years I have lived here, and the schools overall engineering department is the bees knees!

I've tried to get into UCI basketball - but I just can't bring myself to root for any team other than my Blazers!!

CA is supposed to be a rich state, but I make double what I did in Birmingham and my standard of living is maybe only 10% better (well, aside from the fact I can surf every weekend). This place is damned expensive, my rent here is fully 4x my mortgage on my 5 acre homestead by Lake Purdy on 119. 10% sales tax, really high gas taxes and a 9.3% income tax rate. 30 minute commutes to go ten miles. But again, I can ski and surf on the same day in the winter.

So, irrelevant post complete... Go Blazers in all things!

(06-17-2014 10:06 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  You are aware of the fact that California has a slightly higher population than Alabama, correct?
06-18-2014 12:22 AM
Marathon Blazer Offline
Heisman

(06-17-2014 02:29 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  Common Alabama reaction to reading whatever displeases you. If one is critical of anything southern, just leave and go away somewhere else. Many have done just that which is why Alabama may be on the cusp of losing at least one MORE House seat in 2020. Being the conservative political center of America has cost this state two electoral votes in the last 50 years and perhaps one or two more by 2021 in the midst of the fastest growing region (Sun Belt) in America.

Perhaps Wayne Flynt should have titled his book on Alabama "Po' but Proud - and Stubborn"

How silly of me. I thought this was a UAB SPORTS forum. You know, maybe they should create a place where political topics or general non-sports topics can be discussed.
06-18-2014 06:27 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

Amazing that this thread hasn't been moved.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2014 07:28 AM by Memphis Blazer.)
06-18-2014 07:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.