Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will home OOC games get picked up on ESPN3 if not on cable?
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
Will home OOC games get picked up on ESPN3 if not on cable?
Is this a possibility for us? Would be nice to check in on some of the AAC OOC games that don't make the cable channels (FCS, etc..).
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 03:52 PM by ncbeta.)
06-16-2014 03:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
RE: Will home OOC games get picked up on ESPN3 if not on cable?
every game not picked up by espn/cbssn automatically goes on espn3 (no need to be picked up)

some of the espn3 game are subject to be blacked out if a local station picks it up
06-16-2014 03:59 PM
ncbeta Offline

(06-16-2014 03:59 PM)pesik Wrote:  every game not picked up by espn/cbssn automatically goes on espn3 (no need to be picked up)

some of the espn3 game are subject to be blacked out if a local station picks it up

Only in the broadcast area, correct? So if the local station that covers eastern NC picks up our opener, you could still get it in Houston, right?

Good to know though. Looking forward to watching some of the AAC teams beat up on some lower level teams before conference play. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 04:06 PM by ncbeta.)
06-16-2014 04:06 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(06-16-2014 04:06 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  
(06-16-2014 03:59 PM)pesik Wrote:  every game not picked up by espn/cbssn automatically goes on espn3 (no need to be picked up)

Only in the broadcast area, correct? So if the local station that covers eastern NC picks up our opener, you could still get it in Houston, right?

Good to know though. Looking forward to watching some of the AAC teams beat up on some lower level teams before conference play. 04-cheers

thats correct

and you might just get the opposite 02-13-banana
06-16-2014 04:11 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
I'm expecting nearly all ucf games to be on regular tv. Hopefully I'm not disappointed. Figure between espn, espn2, espn news, espn u, and cbs sports they can find a place for our games.
06-16-2014 04:56 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(06-16-2014 04:56 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  I'm expecting nearly all ucf games to be on regular tv. Hopefully I'm not disappointed. Figure between espn, espn2, espn news, espn u, and cbs sports they can find a place for our games.

Bethune-Cookman has almost no chance at tv

fcs games are rarely ever picked up
06-16-2014 05:09 PM
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
I thought every game was available on ESPN3 regardless if picked up by the ESPN networks or not.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 05:13 PM by blunderbuss.)
06-16-2014 05:13 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(06-16-2014 05:13 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  I thought every game was available on ESPN3 regardless if picked up by the ESPN networks or not.

thats watchespn, that different from espn3

think of it this way espn3 is like another channel but only online

and watchespn is the ability to watch any espn network online

espn3 is free and no password required for almost all internet providers

watchespn requires a password and you must have the channel in your tv package
06-16-2014 05:18 PM
ncbeta Offline

(06-16-2014 05:18 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(06-16-2014 05:13 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  I thought every game was available on ESPN3 regardless if picked up by the ESPN networks or not.

thats watchespn, that different from espn3

think of it this way espn3 is like another channel but only online

and watchespn is the ability to watch any espn network online

espn3 is free and no password required for almost all internet providers

watchespn requires a password and you must have the channel in your tv package

I was confused on this as well. Thanks for the clarification. I guess I was asking if all games would be available on WatchESPN, but it looks like we will be on ESPN3 and WatchESPN
06-16-2014 06:17 PM
ECMAN79 Offline
All American

I'm pretty sure the days of games being on WITN in Eastern NC are done with this new deal between the American and ESPN because ESPN has all 3rd tier rights.

In other words....ECU's opener vs. NC Central will most likely default to ESPN3 EXCLUSIVELY nationwide.....no WITN...no other local channels...no WATCHESPN...nothing but ESPN3.....

other conferences have already released their first 3 weeks of TV.....a lot of ESPN3 exclusives included amongst the listings.....

WATCHESPN will only be included when the game is on 1 of the ESPN TV networks...ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPNNews
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 06:44 PM by ECMAN79.)
06-16-2014 06:44 PM
ncbeta Offline

(06-16-2014 06:44 PM)ECMAN79 Wrote:  

I'm pretty sure the days of games being on WITN in Eastern NC are done with this new deal between the American and ESPN because ESPN has all 3rd tier rights.

In other words....ECU's opener vs. NC Central will most likely default to ESPN3 EXCLUSIVELY nationwide.....no WITN...no other local channels...no WATCHESPN...nothing but ESPN3.....

other conferences have already released their first 3 weeks of TV.....a lot of ESPN3 exclusives included amongst the listings.....

WATCHESPN will only be included when the game is on 1 of the ESPN TV networks...ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPNNews

I thought ESPN3 games were broadcast on WatchESPN? Is that not right?
06-16-2014 06:51 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(06-16-2014 06:44 PM)ECMAN79 Wrote:  

we gave up our tier 3 rights but that doesn't mean their aren't anymore local games

the only difference is the local networks license it from ESPN instead of the conference or school
06-16-2014 06:53 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(06-16-2014 06:51 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  I thought ESPN3 games were broadcast on WatchESPN? Is that not right?

yes it is
06-16-2014 06:54 PM
ncbeta Offline

ECMAN79, You're probably right about WITN anyway. isn't ECU moving to WNCT? I'm sure they'll be able to buy some low level games if they want (like Pesik said).
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 06:56 PM by ncbeta.)
06-16-2014 06:56 PM
ECMAN79 Offline
All American

(06-16-2014 06:54 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(06-16-2014 06:51 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  I thought ESPN3 games were broadcast on WatchESPN? Is that not right?

yes it is

don't believe that's correct.

see the first 3 weeks of TV listings on Matt Sarz's website....the ones on ESPN networks are included on WATCHESPN.....the ones which are ESPN3 exclusives (and there are a ton of them) are not included on WATCHESPN....

http://mattsarzsports.com/Schedule/Weekl...otball2014
http://mattsarzsports.com/Schedule/Weekl...5-Eo7HyQZM
06-16-2014 06:59 PM
ECMAN79 Offline
All American

(06-16-2014 06:56 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  ECMAN79, You're probably right about WITN anyway. isn't ECU moving to WNCT? I'm sure they'll be able to buy some low level games if they want (like Pesik said).

word is WNCT picked up rights to things like the weekly Coaches shows, and other potential ancillary programming, as they may be replacing WITN as the "official station of the Pirates".....which is something IMG sells.

I think ESPN controls those low level games; that's why they exclusively fall to ESPN3.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 07:02 PM by ECMAN79.)
06-16-2014 07:01 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(06-16-2014 06:59 PM)ECMAN79 Wrote:  
(06-16-2014 06:54 PM)pesik Wrote:  

yes it is

don't believe that's correct.

see the first 3 weeks of TV listings on Matt Sarz's website....the ones on ESPN networks are included on WATCHESPN.....the ones which are ESPN3 exclusives (and there are a ton of them) are not included on WATCHESPN....

http://mattsarzsports.com/Schedule/Weekl...5-Eo7HyQZM

they are classified differently because anything on "watchespn" requires a password and espn3 doesn't

but technically its the same thing, espn3 games are on the watchespn app, and the way to get to the espn3 games from your computer is through the watchespn website
06-16-2014 07:03 PM
ECMAN79 Offline
All American

fair enough
06-16-2014 07:12 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(06-16-2014 07:01 PM)ECMAN79 Wrote:  
(06-16-2014 06:56 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  ECMAN79, You're probably right about WITN anyway. isn't ECU moving to WNCT? I'm sure they'll be able to buy some low level games if they want (like Pesik said).

word is WNCT picked up rights to things like the weekly Coaches shows, and other potential ancillary programming, as they may be replacing WITN as the "official station of the Pirates".....which is something IMG sells.

I think ESPN controls those low level games; that's why they exclusively fall to ESPN3.

espn does have full control of the low level games and national its labeled espn3 but local channels can license it from espn. if they want.

uconn prior to our tv deal had a seperate tv deal for their womens bball team with SUNY. our tv deal ended that and took those rights, but nothing changed, SUNY just gets the games from espn instead of uconn.

the games are still labeled espn3, because thats the only way to watch the game outside of Connecticut.

and anything that says exclusive now its because most local dont decide if they want to license the game till way later on when the season is closer and espn/cbs have official decided they don't want to air it .
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 07:15 PM by pesik.)
06-16-2014 07:13 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

Yeah, I know ESPN3 games are on WatchESPN because that's how I've been watching World Cup at work, lol.
06-16-2014 07:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.