If you guys haven't seen this
06-13-2014 04:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ENCPir87769 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU & AAC
RE: If you guys haven't seen this
About d@mn time! Here's to them making enough noise to change things!

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
06-13-2014 04:25 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
"It's sheer selfishness on the part of the FBS, and it has been institutional by a no-guts NCAA membership that gave up its one-school, one-vote rule because of blackmail," said Lopiano, president of consultant group Sports Management Resources and a sports management teacher at Southern Connecticut State University.

The "blackmail" to which Lopiano refers is a threat, recently vocalized by SEC Commissioner Mike Slive, to create a new division within the NCAA or leave the organization. That, too, is disingenuous, Lopiano said, because the Big Five conferences cannot afford to lose the tax benefits they're afforded as federally recognized nonprofit institutions.

The move toward autonomy, Lopiano believes, is simply a way to protect and enhance the status quo for big-time football schools, and she is not alone in that belief.

----

As for the threat of leaving the NCAA, it's a ruse, Lopiano said.

"What's bad is that the other thousand NCAA institutions don't recognize that it's a nonexistent threat," she said. "Big-time schools can't leave; Congress would take away tax preferences and remove federal assistance.
If they leave, now they're not a nonprofit. They're hiding behind the skirts of the rest of the NCAA institutions."
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2014 04:59 PM by BullsFanInTX.)
06-13-2014 04:50 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
I didn't know there were 2 other bills submitted to Congress also. I bet they could get consolidated as a package to move forward faster on this.
06-13-2014 04:52 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Good article and like I said in another thread, the nonP5 schools won't be able to 'win' their way into P5 status so it's silly to try and compete against using their rules ....when they are making the rules. Instead ...it's going to take a legislative or legal approach to set transparent guidelines and organize a centralized governance structure that has the best interest of the athletes and collegiate athletics in mind instead of sharks like Swofford who has seemingly had a singular purpose to destroy conferences like the Big East.
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2014 05:51 PM by CyberBull.)
06-13-2014 05:19 PM
Advertisement

BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
If Congress controls the tax-exempt status of the large land grant state universities then I seriously doubt those universities are in danger of losing that status. That would be a career killing vote by a congressman. The author acts like it's a foregone conclusion. I think the legal avenue holds more promise than the legislative. Still a long shot, but not hopeless.
06-13-2014 05:30 PM
Tigersmoke Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
There's more congressional reps in none bcs states than bcs state's
06-13-2014 06:43 PM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
(06-13-2014 06:43 PM)Tigersmoke Wrote:  There's more congressional reps in none bcs states than bcs state's

Really?

I count 15 states without BCS representatives. Most of them lowly populated. I'd bet California, New York, Texas, and Florida have more representatives than all the non BCS states combined.
06-13-2014 07:04 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
(06-13-2014 07:04 PM)BatonRougeEscapee Wrote:  
(06-13-2014 06:43 PM)Tigersmoke Wrote:  There's more congressional reps in none bcs states than bcs state's

Really?

I count 15 states without BCS representatives. Most of them lowly populated. I'd bet California, New York, Texas, and Florida have more representatives than all the non BCS states combined.

I agree but also question how the reps in G5 centric districts will vote? What about alumni of non-P5 teams? What about P5 alumni who see the difference between right and wrong? I think it would be a lot closer than most think. NC's reps are definitely favorable.
06-13-2014 08:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.