06-12-2014 09:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: OT: UofH stadium naming
Ok, I'll admit it. I haven't yet had enough coffee and when I saw the acronym, I immediately thought 'Texas Department of Corrections'
06-12-2014 10:04 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(06-12-2014 09:56 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/hou...ing-rights

lol, if true

Unfortunately, my employer's soulless IT team has blocked lostlettermen. 03-banghead Anyone want to let me in on the proposed name ?
06-12-2014 10:14 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
It's a shame there isn't a corporation with the initials DUH.
06-12-2014 10:16 AM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

(06-12-2014 10:14 AM)Da.Owl Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 09:56 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/hou...ing-rights

lol, if true

Unfortunately, my employer's soulless IT team has blocked lostlettermen. 03-banghead Anyone want to let me in on the proposed name ?

File this under “stadium naming rights gone wrong.”

Houston Cougars football is moving into a new, 40,000-seat stadium for the 2014 season. One that, according to a deleted page on Houston’s athletics website, will apparently have the unwieldy name of TDECU Stadium (for Texas Down Employees Credit Union).

Unwieldy and awkward, particularly seeing as how East Carolina will be a fellow AAC member starting this season. That’s right, UH’s new home will sound like “Touchdown ECU” Stadium.

Can you imagine The Swamp being called “TDFSU Stadium” or The Big House being renamed “TDOSU Stadium”?

We think not.
06-12-2014 10:17 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

So the first thing that comes up googling for "university of houston naming rights" is ... http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/...539272.php

How did I miss this ?

Golly. I'd hope they name the stadium "Joe Dokes" Memorial Stadium in honor of the poor soul who chose the new stadium as the place to end it all.
06-12-2014 10:19 AM
Advertisement

Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

(06-12-2014 10:17 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 10:14 AM)Da.Owl Wrote:  

lol, if true

File this under “stadium naming rights gone wrong.”

Houston Cougars football is moving into a new, 40,000-seat stadium for the 2014 season. One that, according to a deleted page on Houston’s athletics website, will apparently have the unwieldy name of TDECU Stadium (for Texas Down Employees Credit Union).

Unwieldy and awkward, particularly seeing as how East Carolina will be a fellow AAC member starting this season. That’s right, UH’s new home will sound like “Touchdown ECU” Stadium.

Can you imagine The Swamp being called “TDFSU Stadium” or The Big House being renamed “TDOSU Stadium”?

We think not.

Molte grazie 04-cheers
06-12-2014 10:54 AM
Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

I Root For: Rice U

New Orleans BowlDonators
Better than Joe's Crab Shack, I suppose.
06-12-2014 12:55 PM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH
If the check cashes, who cares? 1.5 million a year for 10 years is a solid deal IMO.
06-12-2014 01:55 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(06-12-2014 01:55 PM)Mademen Wrote:  If the check cashes, who cares? 1.5 million a year for 10 years is a solid deal IMO.

Sure, but it WILL make that 'whose house' cheer a little hollow. Looks like ECU's house.

We find it funny.. nobody has questioned the terms of the deal. It's what many do these days. Still, if Rice stadium were sponsored by the National Endowment for Regional Development or Western Integrated National United Homebuilders, I suspect you guys would find it funny.

Still, I seem to recall some of your people thinking they would get 30-40mm (and one person more than double that) for the rights.

I think this figure is a solid deal as well
06-12-2014 02:10 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
That article is pretty lame. It's not Texas Down Employees Credit Union, it's Texas Dow Employees. Congrats to the Coogs for getting the group to pony up. I'm looking forward to seeing a game at their new place sometime this fall.
06-12-2014 03:05 PM
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(06-12-2014 03:05 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  That article is pretty lame.

I agree -- definitely a contrived criticism.

(06-12-2014 03:05 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  It's not Texas Down Employees Credit Union, it's Texas Dow Employees.

A pretty poor mistake.
06-12-2014 03:17 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I thought the initial talk was about $35M from one of the energy companies (providing electricity) competing with Reliant?
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2014 05:38 PM by Tiki Owl.)
06-12-2014 05:38 PM
erice Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice

New Orleans Bowl
I don't get it. Credit Unions are supposed to be non-profit. What does the Dow employees' credit union get out of spending millions of dollars to name a stadium? More members obviously, but who does that benefit and how?
06-12-2014 11:36 PM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(06-12-2014 11:36 PM)erice Wrote:  I don't get it. Credit Unions are supposed to be non-profit. What does the Dow employees' credit union get out of spending millions of dollars to name a stadium? More members obviously, but who does that benefit and how?

I had the same thought. This seems a great deal for UH, but why does TDECU need to spend this money?
06-13-2014 07:14 AM
jhruzek Offline
1st String

As a member is said CU, I expect it comes out of the advertising budget. I doubt not making the payments would have had any effect on my meager savings rate of return.
06-13-2014 07:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johncatworth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT, UVA, Rice
Not unprecedented....The Longhorns officially play at University Federal Credit Union Disch–Falk Field...and there are a host of others, see: http://www.cutimes.com/2013/03/20/batter...-ballparks
06-13-2014 08:03 AM
NicevilleWRC Offline
1st String

(06-13-2014 08:03 AM)johncatworth Wrote:  Not unprecedented....The Longhorns officially play at University Federal Credit Union Disch–Falk Field...and there are a host of others, see: http://www.cutimes.com/2013/03/20/batter...-ballparks

Don't forget the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl
06-13-2014 08:10 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(06-12-2014 11:36 PM)erice Wrote:  I don't get it. Credit Unions are supposed to be non-profit. What does the Dow employees' credit union get out of spending millions of dollars to name a stadium? More members obviously, but who does that benefit and how?

Presumably more members = more money on deposit = more money to lend = more revenue.
And according to the World Council of Credit Unions, "credit unions use excess earnings to offer members more affordable loans, a higher return on savings, lower fees or new products and services."
06-13-2014 08:29 AM
erice Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice

New Orleans Bowl
(06-13-2014 08:29 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  Presumably more members = more money on deposit = more money to lend = more revenue.
And according to the World Council of Credit Unions, "credit unions use excess earnings to offer members more affordable loans, a higher return on savings, lower fees or new products and services."

Makes sense on the surface I guess but I have a hard time coming to grips with credit unions that originally were intended to serve targeted constituencies (e.g. Dow employees) broadening their focus to the general population, budgeting big dollars for advertising, etc., supposedly all in the name of lower interest rates. And meanwhile keeping their non-profit tax status while they compete with tax-paying banks. (Not that I'm a huge fan there either).

I know next to nothing about this, and I'm sure there are many sides to it. But it's hard not to wonder if CU membership increases are linked to board-member bonuses or some other pocket-lining, and perhaps therein lies the real motivation...

But I digress, and in fact dangerously in the direction of the Quad. Congrats to the coogs on their stadium money. For our sake, I hope we get our stadium upgrades soon, and (much less importantly) that the resulting moniker rolls off the tongue a little more smoothly than "TDECU Stadium".
06-13-2014 09:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.