North Texas - 122nd with 26.18%
06-12-2014 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fatalisk Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Phil Steele Ranks Total Yards Returned From 2013
Gap between UTSA/ODU and #3 is pretty big.

No one seems to be giving ODU much of a chance though.
06-12-2014 10:05 AM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
RE: Phil Steele Ranks Total Yards Returned From 2013
(06-12-2014 10:05 AM)Fatalisk Wrote:  No one seems to be giving ODU much of a chance though.

We were in that boat last season. It's just about going out there and proving the naysayers wrong. You guys seem to have a quality team and aren't to be taken lightly.
06-12-2014 10:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
The stat can be a bit misleading. Anyone that lost a starting QB is going to have a huge hit.

Of course replacing a starting QB isn't that easy either so take it for what its worth.
06-12-2014 10:13 AM
Fatalisk Offline
All American

(06-12-2014 10:13 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  The stat can be a bit misleading. Anyone that lost a starting QB is going to have a huge hit.

Of course replacing a starting QB isn't that easy either so take it for what its worth.

Clearly. Don't see what is misleading.
06-12-2014 10:24 AM
Advertisement

Heisman

(06-12-2014 10:24 AM)Fatalisk Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 10:13 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  The stat can be a bit misleading. Anyone that lost a starting QB is going to have a huge hit.

Because of the difference between total offense and all purpose yards.

Steele combines them when they are actually very different animals.

A team that returns most of its all purpose output can overcome the loss of total offensive yards accounted for by the QB. In most cases the yards accounted for by a QB aren't soley his (unless its an option offense) and requires someone else to (pardon the pun) take the ball and run with it.

So, I believe its misleading because the comparison isn't equal across all teams. He should do percent returning total offense and all purpose yards. It just doesn't tell me anything other than indicate (for the most part) which teams are replacing quarterbacks and which aren't. I don't need a stat to tell me that or one that tells me a 200-carry running back has moved on.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2014 10:58 AM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
06-12-2014 10:55 AM
Fatalisk Offline
All American

(06-12-2014 10:55 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 10:24 AM)Fatalisk Wrote:  

Because of the difference between total offense and all purpose yards.

Steele combines them when they are actually very different animals.

A team that returns most of its all purpose output can overcome the loss of total offensive yards accounted for by the QB. In most cases the yards accounted for by a QB aren't soley his (unless its an option offense) and requires someone else to (pardon the pun) take the ball and run with it.

So, I believe its misleading because the comparison isn't equal across all teams. He should do percent returning total offense and all purpose yards. It just doesn't tell me anything other than indicate primarily which teams are replacing quarterbacks and which aren't. I don't need a stat to tell me that.

Oh I see.
06-12-2014 10:57 AM
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
I don't think it's misleading at all. He counts passing yards, rushing yards, and receiving yards. You lose your QB then that is a percentage of your production that must be replaced. The higher you're ranked the less you have to replace.
06-12-2014 11:21 AM
Heisman

(06-12-2014 11:21 AM)BleedsGreen33 Wrote:  I don't think it's misleading at all. He counts passing yards, rushing yards, and receiving yards. You lose your QB then that is a percentage of your production that must be replaced. The higher you're ranked the less you have to replace.

When you lose a QB and a WR he's counting the same yards twice.

Maybe misleading is the wrong term. I'm just not sure of its usefulness. Steele uses it as part of his equation to rank teams in the pre-season. He does good work but I consider this issue one of his flaws.

What I'm suggesting is for an apples to apples comparison on who is losing what use both all-purpose yards and total offense separately not combined.
06-12-2014 11:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.