Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Advice I received here about a year or two ago
Bookmark and Share
lmckay92 Offline
Straight cash, homie.

I Root For: Marshall
OT: Advice I received here about a year or two ago
It was a while back, I can't remember when but we were for some reason talking about our majors in college or something. Anyway, I was in my 2nd year here at Marshall, and I said I was in Finance. A few guys (i don't remember who) jumped in and advised me to switch to Accounting.

Well I did, and it was absolutely a great move. I enjoy the hell out of it, and I will be graduating next May (or December. Too much COGSCOGSCOGS Still 9 semesters ain't too bad) with my BBA in Accounting. I figured some of you all might remember the topic and show up so I could thank you.

[Image: hi-res-459541955-quarterback-rakeem-cato...p;amp;q=85]
06-11-2014 06:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

lmckay92 Offline
Straight cash, homie.

RE: OT: Advice I received here about a year or two ago
BTW, anyone want to weigh in on the BS Accounting vs BBA Accounting thing? I didn't even realize there was a BS Accounting until a few weeks ago at work. I thought BBA was what everyone got. I'm sure it doesn't really mean anything and none of us could figure out what the difference was but, hell, weigh in.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2014 06:31 PM by lmckay92.)
06-11-2014 06:30 PM
Blue Raider Dave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Middle Tenn
(06-11-2014 06:30 PM)lmckay92 Wrote:  BTW, anyone want to weigh in on the BS Accounting vs BBA Accounting thing? I didn't even realize there was a BS Accounting until a few weeks ago at work. I thought BBA was what everyone got. I'm sure it doesn't really mean anything and none of us could figure out what the difference was but, hell, weigh in.

My accounting degree is a BBA. Not sure what the difference would be if it was a BS.
06-11-2014 07:26 PM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
Congrats! I wish I could go back in time and change my major from Social Studies Education to either PoliSci or Ocean Biology. Happy that your change worked out for you.
06-11-2014 07:35 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
Good move. I've often heard accountants referred to as bean counters. I guess you will be the first carrot counter.
06-11-2014 08:00 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
I made the same decision (to change my major and delay graduation) and I'm glad I did, too.

I can definitely see the appeal of a BS in Accounting versus a BBA. I was originally in a BSBA program at USM, but there were a couple of business electives I really didn't want to take. In particular, there was one that was basically a class in Microsoft Office that I kept putting off. I switched initially to a BA program in economics, and eventually to Computer Science.

Now, I'm taking classes toward being a CPA (Intermediate I &II are behind me, plus a commercial law class). I really enjoy accounting, but I couldn't deal with the other BSBA classes.
06-11-2014 08:11 PM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
(06-11-2014 06:28 PM)lmckay92 Wrote:  It was a while back, I can't remember when but we were for some reason talking about our majors in college or something. Anyway, I was in my 2nd year here at Marshall, and I said I was in Finance. A few guys (i don't remember who) jumped in and advised me to switch to Accounting.

Well I did, and it was absolutely a great move. I enjoy the hell out of it, and I will be graduating next May (or December. Too much COGSCOGSCOGS Still 9 semesters ain't too bad) with my BBA in Accounting. I figured some of you all might remember the topic and show up so I could thank you.

[Image: hi-res-459541955-quarterback-rakeem-cato...p;amp;q=85]

I remember it, didn't jump on that one as my major was completely different. But, congrats, good luck, glad it worked out for you.
06-11-2014 08:57 PM
Advertisement

MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(06-11-2014 07:35 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  Congrats! I wish I could go back in time and change my major from Social Studies Education to either PoliSci or Ocean Biology. Happy that your change worked out for you.

Don't know about Poli Sci, but Marine Biology leads to an exciting career as a sports bar owner if you move where there isn't an ocean. 03-lmfao
06-12-2014 02:12 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(06-11-2014 06:30 PM)lmckay92 Wrote:  BTW, anyone want to weigh in on the BS Accounting vs BBA Accounting thing? I didn't even realize there was a BS Accounting until a few weeks ago at work. I thought BBA was what everyone got. I'm sure it doesn't really mean anything and none of us could figure out what the difference was but, hell, weigh in.

As a recent ODU grad with a BSBA in Accounting, I can say that as long as you have a good GPA, did an internship and are eligible for your CPA, you will have no problem finding a really good job no matter if you have a BS, BBA or BSBA. Great decision on your part. Good luck and savor every second of your senior year.
06-12-2014 05:51 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(06-12-2014 05:51 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

As a recent ODU grad with a BSBA in Accounting, I can say that as long as you have a good GPA, did an internship and are eligible for your CPA, you will have no problem finding a really good job no matter if you have a BS, BBA or BSBA. Great decision on your part. Good luck and savor every second of your senior year.
Can confirm.

My girlfriend has an accounting degree. She only worked in accounting for two years before deciding to go back to school to be a vet, and she still has recruiters calling to offer her mid level and even occasionally senior level accounting positions because they can't fill positions fast enough. These are sometimes $80,000+/yr jobs. It kills me that she won't take one.
06-12-2014 09:17 AM
Advertisement

wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Graduated with a BS in both accounting and finance. Went the finance route because I couldn't take the hours they expect you to work at month-end closing and year-end closing at most companies.

I would say after you graduate don't bother going back for a Masters, you won't need it because there are so many unfilled positions in the field. Focus your time and money on certifications. They are much cheaper and allow you focus on specific skills.

Congrats on choosing a degree field that is challenging and requires a little more effort, you will soon be rewarded.
06-12-2014 10:24 AM
ARandomHerdFan Offline
User Banned

Damn, I hoped this was going to be an epilogue to the Great Carrot Caper.
06-12-2014 11:08 AM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
(06-12-2014 11:08 AM)ARandomHerdFan Wrote:  Damn, I hoped this was going to be an epilogue to the Great Carrot Caper.

03-lmfaoCOGS
06-12-2014 02:08 PM
Advertisement

lmckay92 Offline
Straight cash, homie.

(06-12-2014 10:24 AM)wh49er Wrote:  Graduated with a BS in both accounting and finance. Went the finance route because I couldn't take the hours they expect you to work at month-end closing and year-end closing at most companies.

I would say after you graduate don't bother going back for a Masters, you won't need it because there are so many unfilled positions in the field. Focus your time and money on certifications. They are much cheaper and allow you focus on specific skills.

Congrats on choosing a degree field that is challenging and requires a little more effort, you will soon be rewarded.

This is something else I was wanting to discuss. I definitely want to start preparing for and taking the CPA exam immediately after graduation. I will have more than 120 hours when I graduate, probably ~129-135. Maybe just stick around at Marshall and take some finance or MIS classes? I really don't want to do graduate school honestly, but an MS Accounting does look like it would be a good program.

I'm talking about taking these classes to get to 150 hours, btw, not to prepare me for the CPA. I will do a review course for that.
06-12-2014 05:53 PM
lmckay92 Offline
Straight cash, homie.

(06-12-2014 02:08 PM)ecumbh1999 Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 11:08 AM)ARandomHerdFan Wrote:  Damn, I hoped this was going to be an epilogue to the Great Carrot Caper.

03-lmfaoCOGS

Quick someone photoshop a carrot with a pocket protector
06-12-2014 05:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.