Much ado about nothing IMHO.
06-11-2014 02:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Dave Brat Didn't go to Princeton
Brat's phrasing was definitely Clintonian. Republicans will have to hope it's a one-off for Brat and not a longstanding habit.
06-11-2014 02:32 PM
ODUChm Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: .
(06-11-2014 02:32 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Brat's phrasing was definitely Clintonian. Republicans will have to hope it's a one-off for Brat and not a longstanding habit.

I imagine the majority of people (including the people on his staff) who have heard of pts assumed it was part of Princeton, thus wont see this as big of a deal. Its not like he said he went to Princeton, while attending Mercer CC
06-11-2014 02:55 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(06-11-2014 02:32 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Brat's phrasing was definitely Clintonian. Republicans will have to hope it's a one-off for Brat and not a longstanding habit.

He's a politician. Don't hold your breath
06-11-2014 03:04 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(06-11-2014 02:55 PM)ODUChm Wrote:  

I imagine the majority of people (including the people on his staff) who have heard of pts assumed it was part of Princeton, thus wont see this as big of a deal. Its not like he said he went to Princeton, while attending Mercer CC

Or Memphis 03-lmfao

Anyway, I assumed they were connected. And my college roommate went there.
06-11-2014 03:05 PM
Advertisement

dawgitall Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU
So this guy is a Calvinist. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Heck some of my best friends are Calvinists.
06-11-2014 06:45 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(06-11-2014 02:55 PM)ODUChm Wrote:  Its not like he said he went to Princeton, while attending Mercer CC
True. PTS is a prestigious institution all by itself. But still.

(06-11-2014 06:45 PM)dawgitall Wrote:  So this guy is a Calvinist. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Heck some of my best friends are Calvinists.
I'm sure there is some slight Calvinist influence at PTS. But overall the atmosphere is very liberal (theologically and politically).
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2014 06:51 PM by Native Georgian.)
06-11-2014 06:50 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Not that big a deal in and of itself, but I think it's pretty clear, while he does not specifically say he went to Princeton, he wants you to infer that.

He's not my congressman, and I don't know him from Adam, but there it is.
06-11-2014 06:50 PM
dawgitall Offline
Heisman

(06-11-2014 06:50 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(06-11-2014 02:55 PM)ODUChm Wrote:  Its not like he said he went to Princeton, while attending Mercer CC

(06-11-2014 06:45 PM)dawgitall Wrote:  So this guy is a Calvinist. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Heck some of my best friends are Calvinists.
I'm sure there is some slight Calvinist influence at PTS. But overall the atmosphere is very liberal (theologically and politically).

I don't know much about PTS but the author of the second article linked didn't describe it as liberal. If it is a Presbyterian seminary then it is all about Calvinism. That is a major ingredient in the denomination. Anyway my post was meant as a joke.
06-11-2014 07:03 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
It's like when I would see a resume with, for instance, Harvard in the education field when really they are saying the took an online course through the Harvard online correspondence class, or they have a Harvard weekend executive MBA.

That's not "Harvard" in the sense of how you expect to see "Harvard" on a resume.

Now, a Harvard online degree or a Harvard executive MBA is impressive in their own right but those resumes had to be pretty damn clear that they were online or executive classes, and not a Harvard degree. Yes, they are different and six degrees of separation is not a Harvard diploma.

To say or imply otherwise was misleading and if you were trying to obfuscate, or if it wasn't clear what was what, we took that as a very negative indicator of the applicant potential ethics......
06-11-2014 07:06 PM
dawgitall Offline
Heisman

(06-11-2014 07:03 PM)dawgitall Wrote:  
(06-11-2014 06:50 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  

I don't know much about PTS but the author of the second article linked didn't describe it as liberal. If it is a Presbyterian seminary then it is all about Calvinism. That is a major ingredient in the denomination. Anyway my post was meant as a joke.

I looked it up. PTS is definitely Presbyterian. It is in fact the second oldest seminary in the country. It can't have a "slight Calvinist influence" as a Presbyterian seminary. Anyone there that doesn't believe in predestination would be the rebel with a cause in the bunch.
06-11-2014 07:15 PM
dawgitall Offline
Heisman

(06-11-2014 07:06 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  It's like when I would see a resume with, for instance, Harvard in the education field when really they are saying the took an online course through the Harvard online correspondence class, or they have a Harvard weekend executive MBA.

That's not "Harvard" in the sense of how you expect to see "Harvard" on a resume.

Now, a Harvard online degree or a Harvard executive MBA is impressive in their own right but those resumes had to be pretty damn clear that they were online or executive classes, and not a Harvard degree. Yes, they are different and six degrees of separation is not a Harvard diploma.

To say or imply otherwise was misleading and if you were trying to obfuscate, or if it wasn't clear what was what, we took that as a very negative indicator of the applicant potential ethics......

Our State (NC) Speaker of the House that is running for a US Senate seat tried to pull this one on us. Thom Tillis consistently said and placed in print that he got his degree from the University of Maryland. It turns out he got it, not from UM @ College Park but some other school in the Maryland system and mostly did it online. He got called on it and has tried to deflect as much as he can.
06-11-2014 07:21 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
Are liberals searching for an achilles heel?
06-11-2014 07:23 PM
Advertisement

dawgitall Offline
Heisman

(06-11-2014 07:23 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  Are liberals searching for an achilles heel?
Naw, I think everyone is just having a little fun with yet another politician that seems to feel they have to exaggerate their resume. It is a bipartisan problem.
06-11-2014 07:35 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Or expect to get away with it.
06-11-2014 07:37 PM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
Silly politicians
06-11-2014 07:43 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
If his intent was to exaggerate his credentials, ergo, to lie, he should have known better coming from a seminary school. That's why it is said, honesty is the best policy. You could ask many politicians about this.
06-11-2014 07:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.