Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Michigan's Attendence Decline A Sign of Things To Come?
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
http://johnubacon.com/2014/06/the-real-r...l-tickets/

With the realignment for the upcoming new season along with the presidents and AD's chasing $$. The college fans and students are turning away from the game.
Wait until the P5 professionalize more of the college game, the fans will decline even further.

One of the telling quotes:
" a survey which revealed more than 50-percent of Michigan season ticket holders had been buying them for more than two decades, but only nine-percent of them also bought season tickets to any professional team. This tells us a basic truth: Michigan football fans don’t just love football. They love Michigan football—the history, the traditions, the rituals — the timeless elements that have grown organically over decades. They are attracted to the belief that Michigan football is based on ideals that go beyond the field, do not fade with time, and are passed down to the next generation — the very qualities that separate a game at the Big House from the Super Bowl. "

My glaring thing is if you don't get the students to the game, then what is the college game for? Hard for to pay for tickets as a student when I already paid my student fee and then tuition on top.

This whole realignment process and more commercialization/professionalization of the college atmosphere is what is ruining attendance than any HD TV is doing.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 02:44 PM by MWC Tex.)
06-10-2014 02:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
RE: Michigan's Attendence Decline A Sign of Things To Come?
The future is smaller stadiums with more fan amenities.

I told some one today who works for MLS that. I also said a facility should have at least 30,000 seats to have a big time experience.

A 12,000 seat Triple A baseball stadium isn't enough.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
06-10-2014 02:34 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(06-10-2014 02:28 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  http://johnubacon.com/2014/06/the-real-r...l-tickets/

With the realignment for the upcoming new season along with the presidents and AD's chasing $$. The college fans and students are turning away from the game.
Wait until the P5 professional more of the college game, the fans will decline even further.

" a survey which revealed more than 50-percent of Michigan season ticket holders had been buying them for more than two decades, but only nine-percent of them also bought season tickets to any professional team. This tells us a basic truth: Michigan football fans don’t just love football. They love Michigan football—the history, the traditions, the rituals — the timeless elements that have grown organically over decades. They are attracted to the belief that Michigan football is based on ideals that go beyond the field, do not fade with time, and are passed down to the next generation — the very qualities that separate a game at the Big House from the Super Bowl. "

My glaring thing is if you don't get the students to the game, then what is the college game for? Hard for to pay for tickets as a student when I already paid my student fee and then tuition on top.

This whole realignment process and more commercialization/professionalization of the college atmosphere is what is ruining attendance than any HD TV is doing.

When I attended LSU law school in the early Eighties, all students got into the games for free. All they had to show was their student ID at the gate.

Later, that changed, forever. Now, students have to pay for their tickets.

The game has become a Made For Television Event and for the luxury suite crowd.

With ever increasing ticket prices and PSL's, schools are pricing out people who had season tickets for decades and were among the school's most fervent, loyal and vocal fans.

So it goes.....
06-10-2014 02:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I've been a long proponent of what some MLS teams are doing. Very expensive premium heavy seating along the sidelines with very family friendly prices in the end zones.
06-10-2014 02:39 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(06-10-2014 02:38 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 02:28 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  http://johnubacon.com/2014/06/the-real-r...l-tickets/

Wait until the P5 professional more of the college game, the fans will decline even further.

When I attended LSU law school in the early Eighties, all students got into the games for free. All they had to show was their student ID at the gate.

With ever increasing ticket prices and PSL's, schools are pricing out people who had season tickets for decades and were among the school's most fervent, loyal and vocal fans.

So it goes.....

That was my experience at Oregon State in the mid 90's. The school had almost 1 side for the students and I just had to show my ID. Basketball games were free but still had to get tickets due to size of the arena. Not sure if OSU charges students now but if I had to pay for the games, no way could I afford it while attending school.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 02:44 PM by MWC Tex.)
06-10-2014 02:43 PM
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
And so it's begun.
06-10-2014 02:54 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(06-10-2014 02:39 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I've been a long proponent of what some MLS teams are doing. Very expensive premium heavy seating along the sidelines with very family friendly prices in the end zones.

As long as its enough seating to hold your fanbase.

For some of the larger markets in MLS they can handle a 30,000 seater.
06-10-2014 04:37 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(06-10-2014 04:37 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 02:39 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I've been a long proponent of what some MLS teams are doing. Very expensive premium heavy seating along the sidelines with very family friendly prices in the end zones.

As long as its enough seating to hold your fanbase.

For some of the larger markets in MLS they can handle a 30,000 seater.

Kansas City has just over 18,000 seats. One of their execs when asked about seating expansion said it would be top of the agenda after 5 years of sellouts. Two more years to go.
06-10-2014 04:45 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(06-10-2014 02:43 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

So it goes.....

That was my experience at Oregon State in the mid 90's. The school had almost 1 side for the students and I just had to show my ID. Basketball games were free but still had to get tickets due to size of the arena. Not sure if OSU charges students now but if I had to pay for the games, no way could I afford it while attending school.

this is what pisses me off. I have to pay $213 to watch P5 football while my sister gets to watch a much better p5 team for free.
06-10-2014 04:47 PM
NittanyLion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
Student seating is one place where tiered-pricing REALLY seems like it would make a lot of sense. E.g., for a team with a 7-game home schedule:

Free admission to 3 of the 7 home games (your FCS and crummy opponents).

Modest charges ($15) to 2 of the 7 home games.

Highest charges ($30) to the 2 premium games of the 7 home games.

A school could ensure a student who wanted to see every game could do so relatively inexpensively --- while price boundaries also ensure there aren't TOO many students who decide to show up for the most important games.

Many schools have a marshmallow as their opening game --- free admission for an opener would really energize the incoming freshman into going and potentially get them turned on to seeing the football team.
06-10-2014 05:22 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Admission to students should be free.Period.
06-10-2014 05:41 PM
Advertisement

woomba Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Michigan
Most of the schools with "free" tickets actually just bake it into a mandatory sports & activities fee.

The schools that charge the most for student tickets tend to be the ones that do not force all students to subsidize the FB team, so you can argue that this is better than the alternative where students who don't care about sports at all have to a eat a $200 fee.
06-10-2014 06:14 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(06-10-2014 05:22 PM)NittanyLion Wrote:  Student seating is one place where tiered-pricing REALLY seems like it would make a lot of sense. E.g., for a team with a 7-game home schedule:

Free admission to 3 of the 7 home games (your FCS and crummy opponents).

Modest charges ($15) to 2 of the 7 home games.

Highest charges ($30) to the 2 premium games of the 7 home games.

A school could ensure a student who wanted to see every game could do so relatively inexpensively --- while price boundaries also ensure there aren't TOO many students who decide to show up for the most important games.

Many schools have a marshmallow as their opening game --- free admission for an opener would really energize the incoming freshman into going and potentially get them turned on to seeing the football team.

Excellent suggestion. Which means, of course, it won't be implemented by many. 03-wink

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 06:35 PM by omniorange.)
06-10-2014 06:35 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
This attitude will probably not be popular but I don't care if students get to see Louisville games or not. What do they do to support them team? Go to class with them? Let them get a job, get on the waiting list, make a donation for the right to buy tickets, buy their tickets and go to the game. I waited my time, let them wait theres.

College athletics is big business. If you want to play with the big boys you have to pay like the big boys. I tell my Louisville friends all the time, when we move to The ACC we have to step up our game as fans as much as the teams do.

Can't be a big time program and whine about ticket prices, PSL's and donation levels.
CJ
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 07:04 PM by CardinalJim.)
06-10-2014 07:03 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(06-10-2014 07:03 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  This attitude will probably not be popular but I don't care if students get to see Louisville games or not. What do they do to support them team? Go to class with them? Let them get a job, get on the waiting list, make a donation for the right to buy tickets, buy their tickets and go to the game. I waited my time, let them wait theres.

College athletics is big business. If you want to play with the big boys you have to pay like the big boys. I tell my Louisville friends all the time, when we move to The ACC we have to step up our game as fans as much as the teams do.

Can't be a big time program and whine about ticket prices, PSL's and donation levels.
CJ

Attendance by students at games is an important bonding experience between the student and the school. Students are future alumni! Schools should want to make games affordable and accessible for students.
06-10-2014 07:21 PM
AirRaid Offline
1st String

I Root For: H-TownTakeover
(06-10-2014 07:03 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  This attitude will probably not be popular but I don't care if students get to see Louisville games or not. What do they do to support them team? Go to class with them? Let them get a job, get on the waiting list, make a donation for the right to buy tickets, buy their tickets and go to the game. I waited my time, let them wait theres.

CJ

Yes, your opinion is not only not popular but wildly stupid to boot.
06-10-2014 07:22 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Can't be a big time program and whine about ticket prices, PSL's and donation levels. Students even have to buy tickets for high school football games. All seats have a faie economy value and will sale for what the market will bear!
CJ

I agree Jim. Most of your critics are probably still students or attend low level G5 schools. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 08:34 PM by Wilkie01.)
06-10-2014 08:31 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater

CJ

This is why college athletics is a joke. The schools contine on with it for all of the wrong reasons.
06-10-2014 08:34 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
(06-10-2014 04:47 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 02:43 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

So it goes.....

this is what pisses me off. I have to pay $213 to watch P5 football while my sister gets to watch a much better p5 team for free.

Which schools for each of you?
06-10-2014 08:35 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor

CJ

Your view here is too short term. Your future season ticket holders, donors, and fans are built initially with former students. Giving them every opportunity to build a stronger bond with the school is an investment.
06-10-2014 08:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.