Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: POLL: Which is more important? AAC to the Access Bowl or your team wins the AAC?
I think it's more important that the AAC receives the Access Bowl bid.
I think it's more important that my team win the AAC Championship.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
POLL: Which is more important? AAC to the Access Bowl or your team wins the AAC?
Xbones Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: East Carolina
POLL: Which is more important? AAC to the Access Bowl or your team wins the AAC?
Would you sacrifice your team's conference championship for the AAC's invitation to the Access Bowl? For example, Houston goes into the final game with a 8-3 record. UH is 7-0 in the conference, but has lost 3 OOC games. UC is 11-0 going into the the final game with a 7-0 conference slate. Let's say Marshall has already finished the season earlier in the day at 12-0. No one wants their team to lose any game. But in the long run, which is more important... your team wins the AAC and Marshall goes to the Access Bowl or UC wins and reps the AAC in the Big Dance? This scenario will be more probable beginning with the 2015 Championship Game. Sound familiar Houston fans?
06-10-2014 08:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: POLL: Which is more important? AAC to the Access Bowl or your team wins the AAC?
I vote for both. Beyond that, most fans are going to root for their own team first, over the conference.
06-10-2014 09:02 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
RE: POLL: Which is more important? AAC to the Access Bowl or your team wins the AAC?
Increasing equity for this league has got to be everyone's main goal... I will go with AAC Access Bowl b/c of it, hands down.
06-10-2014 09:02 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Gotta go with my team winning the conference. It's not like the BCS where the conference would get a windfall for going to a BCS game. In the new structure, the G5 conference that goes to the Access Bowl (or CFP should they be so lucky) only gets about $6M, which is only about a third of what the conference gets anyway. Under the BCS, the conference could triple or even quadruple its conference share of BCS money by getting to a BCS game. Having the AAC in the Access Bowl would be nice, but it's not as sweet as having my team win the conference.
06-10-2014 09:05 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
Ucf winning the aac. Not even close.
06-10-2014 09:06 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
I voted someone from the AAC winning the Access Bowl. While I'd like to see UCONN win the AAC, unless they also win the Access Bowl spot, it won't change any "perception" about UCONN football or the conference we compete in. If a 9-3 UCONN wins the AAC every year, no one will care if we don't get in the Access Bowl. If the AAC champ gets the Access Bowl every year, people will be forced to take notice of the conference.
06-10-2014 09:13 AM
Advertisement

Thelonious Jerk Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ECU
I voted for AAC in the access bowl because I feel like if ECU were to lose the championship and the AAC team that beat us got the access bowl bid I wouldn't be upset about it and would pull for that team to win the bowl.

At the same time, I will never pull against ECU so I guess I should have gone with option #2.

Its kind of an odd poll because I want the AAC to get the access bowl bid every year but I never want ECU to lose so....
06-10-2014 09:15 AM
kmfloyd Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cincinnati
A rising tide lifts all boats. Having the American get (and win) the Access Bowl is more important than an individual school winning the conference.
06-10-2014 09:49 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Online
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Dislike question wording, "recieving the Access Bowl bid" means nothing if you get Blown Out in that game *cough* Hawaii *cough*

Picked My Team winning the AAC and it's not even close. Winning championships is how we build the brand and pack the house. Fans need to be excited about conference games week in and week out. Excitement in the conference games gets more butts in seats and helps with TV ratings week in and week out.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 09:56 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
06-10-2014 09:54 AM
AusTxPony Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
Absolutely the Access Bowl. We have to co-opt this spot. However, we fans have nothing to do with it, the kids will play to win and it will be up to them and the coaches, not what we want.
06-10-2014 11:34 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(06-10-2014 09:02 AM)TripleA Wrote:  I vote for both. Beyond that, most fans are going to root for their own team first, over the conference.

I would think so, but the votes and responses indicate otherwise. I have a hard time believing that people would rather root for their team to lose a game (and a championship) just to elevate the conference as a whole. Not even the SEC has that sense of community.
06-10-2014 11:48 AM
Advertisement

HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCONN
I'd love for UConn to win the conference and make the access bowl but my first priority is always going to be UConn winning. If UConn is not in contention, then by all means whoever wins the conference will hopefully make and win the access bowl.
06-10-2014 11:57 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
My team by a mile. My 2nd favorite team is Bowling Green and I was rooting like heck for them to wreck NILL's bcs berth last year. It happened, btw.
06-10-2014 12:02 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
They don't have to be mutually exclusive...
06-10-2014 12:08 PM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(06-10-2014 08:55 AM)Xbones Wrote:  Would you sacrifice your team's conference championship for the AAC's invitation to the Access Bowl? For example, Houston goes into the final game with a 8-3 record. UH is 7-0 in the conference, but has lost 3 OOC games. UC is 11-0 going into the the final game with a 7-0 conference slate. Let's say Marshall has already finished the season earlier in the day at 12-0. No one wants their team to lose any game. But in the long run, which is more important... your team wins the AAC and Marshall goes to the Access Bowl or UC wins and reps the AAC in the Big Dance? This scenario will be more probable beginning with the 2015 Championship Game. Sound familiar Houston fans?

Temple needs to win something, soon. Sorry, in this case, I need a FB conference championship. After that Access Bowl is a fine goal.
06-10-2014 12:14 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
If I have to choose one or the other, obviously I'd rather have USF win the AAC championship.

I don't see how any fan or supporter of a school can think otherwise.
06-10-2014 01:37 PM
Advertisement

YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
There is a strong argument that the American benefits from Marshall getting the G5 bid. If 3-loss Houston knocks off undefeated Cincinnati, you can spin it as strength of the American conference schedule - especially if Cincy and others have some quality OOC wins. And point to Marshall's cake-walk Conference USA schedule.

In fact, a similar result is predicted by some pre-season magazines. They have Marshall at #27 wining the G5 bid. Cincinnati (#31) and UCF (#33), along with Houston and ECU will beat each other up to keep any one of them out of the top-25.

But, here's the kicker:

Sugar Bowl: 1 Florida State vs 4 Oregon
Rose Bowl: 2 Alabama vs 3 Oklahoma
Orange Bowl: 21 Clemson vs 6 Auburn
Cotton Bowl: 5 Ohio State vs 10 Stanford
Fiesta Bowl: 7 UCLA vs 9 Baylor
Peach Bowl: 8 Michigan State vs 27 MARSHALL

Marshall likely gets HAMMERED by Michigan St. in the Peach Bowl. So, again, the American could point to the fact that they have strong in-conference competition and that Marshall simply skated through a cupcake C-USA slate.

http://preseason.stassen.com/consensus/2014.html

[FWIW, I actually think Marshall would play #10 Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl in this scenario. #5 Ohio St. would go to the Orange Bowl against Clemson, #6 Auburn and #7 UCLA would meet in the Cotton Bowl, and #8 Michigan St. and #9 Baylor would play at the Peach Bowl.]

Here's the Orange Bowl press release link that states that the Orange Bowl takes the ACC Champion (or replacement) against the HIGHEST RANKED out of the Big Ten, SEC, and Notre Dame (with minimum three appearances for the Big Ten and SEC and maximum of two appearances for Notre Dame - with no minimum - over the 12-year contract).

http://community.orangebowl.org/assets/3...artner.pdf
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 02:28 PM by YNot.)
06-10-2014 02:21 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Team first, obviously. But you also want AAC to put team in access each and every year, that way it becomes a de-facto AAC tie in. Other than your team losing, whatever needs to happen to have AAC in access bowl is what you root for.
06-10-2014 02:25 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
For once, I will agree with Quo. I want ECU to win every game we can.

Piggybacking on this thread a little bit, is it possible for an AAC team that is not the AAC champion to be the highest rated G5 and make the access bowl?

For example, say ECU and UCF are 7-0 going into the last game of the season, yet one of those teams is 0-4 OOC and the other is 4-0 OOC, and the 0-4 team wins. Could that 11-1 (7-1) team get the access bowl even though the 8-4 (8-0) team won the conference?
06-10-2014 02:42 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
(06-10-2014 02:42 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  For once, I will agree with Quo. I want ECU to win every game we can.

Piggybacking on this thread a little bit, is it possible for an AAC team that is not the AAC champion to be the highest rated G5 and make the access bowl?

For example, say ECU and UCF are 7-0 going into the last game of the season, yet one of those teams is 0-4 OOC and the other is 4-0 OOC, and the 0-4 team wins. Could that 11-1 (7-1) team get the access bowl even though the 8-4 (8-0) team won the conference?

Probably so, because it is not a thing that is earned by the conference championship or earned period by anyone, spots are bequeathed by the knights of the P5 round table.
06-10-2014 05:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.