Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Daily Oklahoman on schools most adversely affected by realignment
Tbringer Offline
Banned

I Root For: FBS
Daily Oklahoman on schools most adversely affected by realignment
From the article:

On the outside: A look at the schools most adversely affected by conference realignment

Conference realignment has left many schools outside the circle of influence and prosperity. And some of those schools once were inside the circle. Here are the universities most adversely affected by conference realignment and their prospects for returning to the circle.

http://newsok.com/on-the-outside-a-look-at-the-schools-most-adversely-affected-by-conference-realignment/article/4888986/?page=1
06-08-2014 04:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
RE: Daily Oklahoman on schools most adversely affected by realignment
I think this is the article..link broke:

But no great options exist for the Big 12. Be it branding (UConn football and Cincinnati football don’t move the needle) or geography (Provo, Utah, and Morgantown, W.Va., in the same conference?) or saturated market (Houston), no school on the outside seems a home run for the Big 12. Or even a ground-rule double.

But no great options exist for the Big 12. Be it branding (UConn football and Cincinnati football don’t move the needle) or geography (Provo, Utah, and Morgantown, W.Va., in the same conference?) or saturated market (Houston), no school on the outside seems a home run for the Big 12. Or even a ground-rule double.

“I’m not hearing any interest in expansion,” Holder said. “Bigger has some advantages. It definitely has some disadvantages as well.”

The Big 12 for now is in solid shape. But that pounding on the door of the ark is from schools not in solid shape who feel it beginning to rain.

http://newsok.com/changes-in-college-ath...le/4888985
06-08-2014 04:25 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Only Cincy, UCF and BYU? What about UConn? Or if you go back a few years Temple? They were both in a BCS conference and are now left without a tie-in to a major bowl in the CFP. I guess in Oklahoma, they really don't care about basketball.

Regarding the Go5, So. Miss. was left behind from being a great CUSA football team for over 20 years. How about Idaho and NMSU? They didn't even have a conference for a year and now are only in the Go5 for football only. Relegating their other sports to Mid-major conferences.
06-08-2014 04:29 PM
prp Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tartans!
I wouldn't consider UCF to have been adversely affected. They're not where they want to be, but they are in a better place than they were before the conference realignment dominos began to fall. UConn and USF, though, need to be on the list.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 04:30 PM by prp.)
06-08-2014 04:30 PM
Tbringer Offline
Banned

I Root For: FBS
There are two pages to the article, schools like UConn are on it--some may have missed the second page.

http://newsok.com/on-the-outside-a-look-...le/4888986
06-08-2014 04:34 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(06-08-2014 04:30 PM)prp Wrote:  I wouldn't consider UCF to have been adversely affected. They're not where they want to be, but they are in a better place than they were before the conference realignment dominos began to fall. UConn and USF, though, need to be on the list.

+1
06-08-2014 05:00 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(06-08-2014 04:29 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Regarding the Go5, So. Miss. was left behind from being a great CUSA football team for over 20 years. How about Idaho and NMSU? They didn't even have a conference for a year and now are only in the Go5 for football only. Relegating their other sports to Mid-major conferences.

I think what is hurting Southern Miss isn't being left behind in CUSA as much as the sheer amount of new southern football schools at the FBS level. There are a lot more options out there today.

Wyoming has been hurt by the programs like Boise State and Nevada better positioned for the California recruiting. Losing Utah/BYU is a big hit on the schedule. Great program but has probably seen its best days.

Miami Ohio....their AD drove that program into the ground with bad football hires and super tough non-conference scheduling. Support for football and basketball has dropped off. They could really use a smaller basketball arena on campus like Bowling Green built.

Marshall will be in trouble if Doc Holiday leaves with all those new FCS schools coming up in their recruiting grounds (Charlotte, ODU, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State) that they didn't have before. In the short term they'll be OK running roughshod over a crappy CUSA East division.
06-08-2014 05:17 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(06-08-2014 04:29 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Only Cincy, UCF and BYU? What about UConn? Or if you go back a few years Temple? They were both in a BCS conference and are now left without a tie-in to a major bowl in the CFP. I guess in Oklahoma, they really don't care about basketball.

Regarding the Go5, So. Miss. was left behind from being a great CUSA football team for over 20 years. How about Idaho and NMSU? They didn't even have a conference for a year and now are only in the Go5 for football only. Relegating their other sports to Mid-major conferences.

Based on what I have read on this board, UConn is a slam dunk to join the B1G.04-cheers
06-08-2014 05:31 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(06-08-2014 05:17 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(06-08-2014 04:29 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Regarding the Go5, So. Miss. was left behind from being a great CUSA football team for over 20 years. How about Idaho and NMSU? They didn't even have a conference for a year and now are only in the Go5 for football only. Relegating their other sports to Mid-major conferences.

I think what is hurting Southern Miss isn't being left behind in CUSA as much as the sheer amount of new southern football schools at the FBS level. There are a lot more options out there today.

Wyoming has been hurt by the programs like Boise State and Nevada better positioned for the California recruiting. Losing Utah/BYU is a big hit on the schedule. Great program but has probably seen its best days.

Miami Ohio....their AD drove that program into the ground with bad football hires and super tough non-conference scheduling. Support for football and basketball has dropped off. They could really use a smaller basketball arena on campus like Bowling Green built.

Marshall will be in trouble if Doc Holiday leaves with all those new FCS schools coming up in their recruiting grounds (Charlotte, ODU, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State) that they didn't have before. In the short term they'll be OK running roughshod over a crappy CUSA East division.

Wyoming, yes. USM, yes. Miami, no.

Miami's problems have nothing to do with reallignment. They're the product of a school that is going downhill across the board. It's actually really sad. Looking at them today, it's hard to believe that 30 years ago they were labeled as one of 8 "public Ivies" along with Cal, Michigan, Texas, UNC, Virginia, W&M, and Vermont.
06-09-2014 08:52 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(06-09-2014 08:52 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Miami's problems have nothing to do with reallignment. They're the product of a school that is going downhill across the board. It's actually really sad. Looking at them today, it's hard to believe that 30 years ago they were labeled as one of 8 "public Ivies" along with Cal, Michigan, Texas, UNC, Virginia, W&M, and Vermont.

On a tangent, I always looked at that original Public Ivy list and never understood the inclusion of both Miami and Vermont outside of the author probably having some personal affinity for them. Even 30 years ago, they weren't on the same academic plane as UCLA, Wisconsin, Illinois or Georgia Tech as public universities. Miami and Vermont are definitely quality schools that serve two very distinct student bodies (Miami is a preppy/Greek haven while Vermont is the place for kids that think Boulder doesn't have enough hippies) and could conceivably fit into P5 conferences if they had the requisite athletic attributes, but I don't recall them ever being considered *elite* academically.
06-09-2014 09:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(06-09-2014 09:09 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  On a tangent, I always looked at that original Public Ivy list and never
understood the inclusion of both Miami and Vermont outside of the author probably having some personal affinity for them. Even 30 years ago, they weren't on the same academic plane as UCLA, Wisconsin, Illinois or Georgia Tech as public universities. Miami and Vermont are definitely quality schools that serve two very distinct student bodies (Miami is a preppy/Greek haven while Vermont is the place for kids that think Boulder doesn't have enough hippies) and could conceivably fit into P5 conferences if they had the requisite athletic attributes, but I don't recall them ever being considered *elite* academically.

Just my opinion, but the Ivy's in general seem to be more business oriented than Technical/Engineering. I can't speak for Vermont, but Miami (Oh) definitely fits that mold. GT, Illinois, UCLA, and Wisconsin are both much more well rounded institutions with great engineering schools to go with business and other schools.
06-09-2014 09:14 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

To be fair regarding my last post, I know that at least in the Chicago market, Miami is actually a more popular out-of-state destination for students than Ohio State. (The biggest out-of-state draws for Chicago students overall are Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin, Missouri and private school Marquette.) Miami does have a distinct cultural brand (very preppy school) which it uses effectively as a selling point. It's the same thing with Vermont as a draw for hippies/hipsters/bohemians. Not too many public universities have that type of very clear distinct culture.
06-09-2014 09:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I'm a little surprised that the article didn't list Boise among the realignment losers. That may be due to the source, since it seems to provide basically a list of potential Bi2 12 expansion candidates rather than a comprehensive list of affected schools. Boise may turn out to be a supernova that burned brilliantly for a short time before sinking back into oblivion.

Their rise to football prominence was certainly meteoric. It wasn't all that long ago that they were a nice FCS team. They made an early decision to move up in class and caught lightning in a bottle with a couple of good coaches. But there were never more than three conferences where geography wouldn't be their downfall, and the only power conference among them would never consider them a candidate. Their aborted flirtation with the Big East never made sense, and may have even contributed to the breakup of both the BE and the WAC.

They will probably remain a perennial bowl team, thanks to the weakened state of the MWC. But I think the last P5 train has pulled out of the station, and they missed it. I think they will always see their high water mark in the rear view mirror.
06-09-2014 09:35 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Boise is a realignment winner due to their deal with the MWC...Sweetheart is an understatement....07-coffee3
06-09-2014 09:50 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Former BCS Schools?

Houston
Rice
SMU
Tulane
UConn
Cincy
USF
Temple
Army
Navy
AFA

Former Non-BCS Schools that became BCS?
Rutgers
Louisville
Utah

Are these two lists correct?
06-09-2014 09:54 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-09-2014 09:35 AM)ken d Wrote:  I'm a little surprised that the article didn't list Boise among the realignment losers. That may be due to the source, since it seems to provide basically a list of potential Bi2 12 expansion candidates rather than a comprehensive list of affected schools. Boise may turn out to be a supernova that burned brilliantly for a short time before sinking back into oblivion.

Their rise to football prominence was certainly meteoric. It wasn't all that long ago that they were a nice FCS team. They made an early decision to move up in class and caught lightning in a bottle with a couple of good coaches. But there were never more than three conferences where geography wouldn't be their downfall, and the only power conference among them would never consider them a candidate. Their aborted flirtation with the Big East never made sense, and may have even contributed to the breakup of both the BE and the WAC.

They will probably remain a perennial bowl team, thanks to the weakened state of the MWC. But I think the last P5 train has pulled out of the station, and they missed it. I think they will always see their high water mark in the rear view mirror.

Boise State was never realistically ever getting into the Pac-12 or Big 12, so they really aren't in any different position than they were previously. That's quite different from the 3 old Big East teams that were straight up relegated (UConn, USF and Cincinnati). As someone else noted, everyone else is basically complaining about where they *could* have been (i.e. the AAC additions that thought they were joining a power conference but ended up in a higher rent version of C-USA), whereas those 3 old Big East teams legitimately went backwards.
06-09-2014 10:02 AM
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
UCONN, USF and Cincy biggest losers
Rutgers, Utah, TCU biggest winners
06-09-2014 10:06 AM
HartfordHusky Online
1st String

I Root For: UCONN
(06-09-2014 09:54 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Former BCS Schools?

Houston
Rice
SMU
Tulane
UConn
Cincy
USF
Temple
Army
Navy
AFA

Former Non-BCS Schools that became BCS?
Rutgers
Louisville
Utah

Are these two lists correct?

I don't think Rutgers ever played football in a non-BCS league. I think they were indy in football until they joined the BE, which was always a BCS league.
06-09-2014 10:19 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(06-09-2014 10:06 AM)bluesox Wrote:  UCONN, USF and Cincy biggest losers

If you go back to 1998 when the BCS started and the line in the sand was drawn more formally, the biggest loser is Temple. They're the only team who originally played in an AQ conference that has not gone on to be in a P5 conference. USF, UConn, and Cincy are the next in line, but 2 of those have only been playing FBS football this century.

As for the winners, Utah and TCU are the biggest winners, as neither were in an AQ conference from the beginning.
06-09-2014 10:29 AM
EerMeNow Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(06-09-2014 10:29 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 10:06 AM)bluesox Wrote:  UCONN, USF and Cincy biggest losers

If you go back to 1998 when the BCS started and the line in the sand was drawn more formally, the biggest loser is Temple. They're the only team who originally played in an AQ conference that has not gone on to be in a P5 conference. USF, UConn, and Cincy are the next in line, but 2 of those have only been playing FBS football this century.

As for the winners, Utah and TCU are the biggest winners, as neither were in an AQ conference from the beginning.

Realignment did Temple a favor in my opinion.
06-09-2014 10:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.