Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Daily Oklahoman: Few SEC schools play a representative schedule
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Daily Oklahoman: Few SEC schools play a representative schedule
Out of 56 nonconference football games, the 14 team SEC plays 11 BCS schools.

Four SEC schools--Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, and Vanderbilt--do not play a BCS nonconference opponent.

SEC Nonconference Football Schedule
06-07-2014 03:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
RE: Daily Oklahoman: Few SEC schools play a representative schedule
This is not a factor in the SEC when they play a brutal conference schedule.

Playing a strong non-conference schedule is a factor for a G5 school if they want credibility. It shows strength when they can get strong opponents to play them at homes and it boosts interest in season ticket sales ect.
06-07-2014 03:57 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
(06-07-2014 03:41 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Out of 56 nonconference football games, the 14 team SEC plays 11 BCS schools.

Four SEC schools--Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, and Vanderbilt--do not play a BCS nonconference opponent.

Kinda makes comparing conference's impossible.
The bowl games are not even a true measure.

The SEC lost both of its BCS games last year.
ESPN claimed a four team playoff should have two SEC schools.
Image if they won both games how much pressure ESPN would put on the committee.

Personally I think all the championships are mythical until next year. Also Any Past Undefeated The Team Should Claim One Like Utah or Ball State.

ESPN will beat the four team playoff to death until it is eight teams.
06-07-2014 04:32 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
When you have a sport that awards championships based on a non-scientific survey of reporters and coaches....some who have conflicts of interest....nothing is really a factor for the SEC.

We are now moving where 4-teams get a chance to prove something in a playoff format. But those four will be chosen by a non-scientific survey of even less people....some of whom have conflicts of interest.
06-07-2014 04:39 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Same as it ever was. Meet the new boss.

Some people really believe that this is some sort of "reform".
06-07-2014 04:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
The 'playoff' will prove to be even 'worse' in time.
06-07-2014 04:42 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-07-2014 04:32 PM)MJG Wrote:  
(06-07-2014 03:41 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Out of 56 nonconference football games, the 14 team SEC plays 11 BCS schools.

Kinda makes comparing conference's impossible.
The bowl games are not even a true measure.

The SEC lost both of its BCS games last year.
ESPN claimed a four team playoff should have two SEC schools.
Image if they won both games how much pressure ESPN would put on the committee.

Personally I think all the championships are mythical until next year. Also Any Past Undefeated The Team Should Claim One Like Utah or Ball State.

ESPN will beat the four team playoff to death until it is eight teams.

Actually, most years an SEC team has claimed an MNC. Sometimes 2 or 3 of them. I think Alabama and Tennessee have an agreement that one of the two claims an MNC every year.
06-07-2014 04:47 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(06-07-2014 03:57 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  This is not a factor in the SEC when they play a brutal conference schedule.

Playing a strong non-conference schedule is a factor for a G5 school if they want credibility. It shows strength when they can get strong opponents to play them at homes and it boosts interest in season ticket sales ect.

Kentucky, Arkansas, Mississippi St. and Vanderbilt play a brutal conference schedule. Most of the top teams avoid each other (not necessarily intentionally, but that's the way its worked out since expansion). Alabama hasn't played Georgia except once in the SEC title game since 2008. They haven't played South Carolina since 2010. They haven't played Florida since 2011.
06-07-2014 04:51 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(06-07-2014 04:41 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Same as it ever was. Meet the new boss.

There are 4 teams instead of two. Usually its been the #3 team in the BCS who had a legitimate complaint.
06-07-2014 04:52 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(06-07-2014 04:52 PM)bullet Wrote:  

There are 4 teams instead of two. Usually its been the #3 team in the BCS who had a legitimate complaint.

Now it will be the #5 team. 4 is better than two. But the first time somebody gets kept out of the playoff because of a "key injury" in the last game of the season...or the first time an SEC team with a "key injury" gets in after that....there will be issues.

It's really not much better than Olympic Ice Dancing judging....subjective sporting outcomes.
06-07-2014 05:04 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(06-07-2014 05:04 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

Now it will be the #5 team. 4 is better than two. But the first time somebody gets kept out of the playoff because of a "key injury" in the last game of the season...or the first time an SEC team with a "key injury" gets in after that....there will be issues.

It's really not much better than Olympic Ice Dancing judging....subjective sporting outcomes.
The difference is that they have to explain it in a group. That's an advantage over the pollsters each doing their own thing.
06-07-2014 07:05 PM
Advertisement

Tbringer Offline
Banned

I Root For: FBS
(06-07-2014 03:57 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  This is not a factor in the SEC when they play a brutal conference schedule.

Actually, most of the good SEC schools don't play one another in a particular season. Now that they'll for certain only play 8 conference games, only two teams will play 10 P5 schools in a season compared to most of the Pac 12, Big 12 and soon Big Ten playing 10. Most SEC schools will play only 9 p5 schools per season and most will have an FCS school in the mix. When you add in that they skip playing one another for the most part, it isn't all that difficult compared to anyone else at all.
06-07-2014 07:40 PM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
(06-07-2014 05:04 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

Now it will be the #5 team. 4 is better than two. But the first time somebody gets kept out of the playoff because of a "key injury" in the last game of tIhe season...or the first time an SEC team with a "key injury" gets in after that....there will be issues.

This is the reason the four team playoff will expand.
Dont worry it wont include the g5 schools.
06-07-2014 07:44 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
a playoff is gonna be just as subjective as the polls
weather, injuries, flu, bounce of the ball, seeding, matchups
don't give you true champion either
06-08-2014 01:42 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
If the SEC champ didn't have an average of 4-6 wins vs Top 25 teams then maybe they'd have a point.
06-08-2014 01:56 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(06-08-2014 01:56 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  If the SEC champ didn't have an average of 4-6 wins vs Top 25 teams then maybe they'd have a point.

Never let facts stand in the way of a good argument:

2013 Auburn - beat 3 ranked teams (Alabama, TAMU, and Missouri)
2012 Alabama - beat 2 ranked teams in-conference (Georgia and LSU). Also, Michigan was ranked in the AP poll.
2011 Alabama - beat 1 ranked team (Arkansas) before beating LSU in the National Championship
2011 LSU - beat 3 ranked teams in-conference (Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia). Also, Oregon and West Virginia were ranked.
2010 Auburn - beat 5 ranked teams (Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, USC x 2)
2009 Alabama - beat 3 ranked teams in-conference (LSU, Florida, Ole Miss), plus Virginia Tech
2008 Florida - beat 2 ranked teams in-conference (Georgia and Alabama), plus Florida State.
2007 LSU - beat 2 ranked teams in-conference (Georgia and Tennessee), plus Virginia Tech
2006 Florida - beat 4 ranked teams (LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas)
2005 Georgia - beat 1 ranked team (LSU)
2004 Auburn - beat 3 ranked teams (LSU, Georgia, Tennessee), and only played 1 other bowl-eligible team all year (Alabama)
2003 LSU - beat 2 ranked teams (Georgia and Ole Miss)
2002 Georgia - beat 1 ranked team (Auburn)
2001 LSU - beat 1 ranked team (Tennessee in the SEC championship game)

I didn't feel like going any further back than this. Admittedly some of those teams were ridiculous (especially 2009 Alabama, 2010 Auburn, and 2011 LSU), but only 2 seasons matched your boast.

Also, about half of the SEC champs on this list had losses to unranked teams.
06-08-2014 04:40 AM
Advertisement

USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

I Root For: South Florida
(06-08-2014 04:40 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(06-08-2014 01:56 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  If the SEC champ didn't have an average of 4-6 wins vs Top 25 teams then maybe they'd have a point.

2012 Alabama - beat 2 ranked teams in-conference (Georgia and LSU). Also, Michigan was ranked in the AP poll.
2011 Alabama - beat 1 ranked team (Arkansas) before beating LSU in the National Championship
2011 LSU - beat 3 ranked teams in-conference (Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia). Also, Oregon and West Virginia were ranked.
2009 Alabama - beat 3 ranked teams in-conference (LSU, Florida, Ole Miss), plus Virginia Tech
2008 Florida - beat 2 ranked teams in-conference (Georgia and Alabama), plus Florida State.
2007 LSU - beat 2 ranked teams in-conference (Georgia and Tennessee), plus Virginia Tech
2004 Auburn - beat 3 ranked teams (LSU, Georgia, Tennessee), and only played 1 other bowl-eligible team all year (Alabama)

I didn't feel like going any further back than this. Admittedly some of those teams were ridiculous (especially 2009 Alabama, 2010 Auburn, and 2011 LSU), but only 2 seasons matched your boast.

Nice post but why use facts? When I read an article about the "Mighty SEC", I usually subplant it with "Once upon a time", in my head before I begin to read. It usually makes the story more enjoyable when I realize it's all a work of fiction anyway. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 07:09 AM by USFRamenu.)
06-08-2014 07:08 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Ok I was wrong about that, should have said "played against" because most years the SEC champ does play several Top 25 opponents.

I don' get the whining and hatred. The SEC has to win the playoff just the same as any of the rest of you.

We need a "crying about the SEC" board
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 09:33 AM by 10thMountain.)
06-08-2014 09:30 AM
USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

I Root For: South Florida
(06-08-2014 09:30 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  Ok I was wrong about that, should have said "played against" because most years the SEC champ does play several Top 25 opponents.

I don' get the whining and hatred. The SEC has to win the playoff just the same as any of the rest of you.

We need a "crying about the SEC" board

Aw hurt feelings because someone stated the obvious? No one is crying. After all, It's not hard to play 5-6 top 25 teams when 8-10 of your Conference buddies are placed in the top 25 at the beginning of the year. Especially when it's done year after year despite their previous records.

It is what it is. "Shameful!" 07-coffee3
06-08-2014 09:40 AM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
(06-08-2014 04:40 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

Your numbers are a little wrong. 2013 Auburn also beat ole miss and Georgia. Both ranked in the top 25 at the time. 2012 Alabama also beat A&M and Mississippi state teams that were ranked during the season. 2011 Alabama team beat Penn state and Florida that were ranked during the season. 2011 LSU team beat Oregon Miss state, Florida ,Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia that season. All ranked at the time of play.
06-08-2014 10:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.