Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Riverside Drive - 2 lane
Bookmark and Share
MGR Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
Riverside Drive - 2 lane
I know there is another thread about this somewhere, but I can't find it.

I support bike routes....but this one is a horrible idea.

I live downtown and was just coming home from work about 11 pm. I was driving north on Riverside, and there was a lot of southbound traffic.....going rather fast. If someone happens to cross the yellow line coming towards you, you have absolutely nowhere to go.

So the first time a drunk gets distracted, drops his cell phone in the floorboard and reaches to pick it up, or a teen is sending an important text, somebody is going to get killed.

This should not be allowed for even one more day. It's too risky.

But hey what do I know.......maybe there aren't many kids or drunks driving downtown on weekend nights.
06-07-2014 12:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: Riverside Drive - 2 lane
it is a horrible idea but the city has to figure out some way to get bikes out to the harrahan bridge somehow and this doesnt cost them a cent - until someone gets killed and the lawsuits are filed.
06-07-2014 06:57 AM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
It's a horrible idea. People are distracted enough barrelling down Riverside trying to look at the view and figure out where they are going, not to mention the ones that just came off the interstate at a higher rate of speed. It is very difficult to pull out of the driveway at the River Towers for that very reason.
This is another political do-at-any-cost, half-baked idea to keep up with the Joneses, like the attempt to run the Greenline right through my neighborhood on our city sidewalks, ten feet from our doors. Great ideas, if done with common sense. Someone on a bike is going to get killed on Riverside Drive.
06-08-2014 02:52 PM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

My first time driving on Riverside Dr. today and some people were driving on the on coming traffic lane before swerving back when seeing traffic coming. Its a total disaster waiting to happen
06-08-2014 05:35 PM
Cletus Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-07-2014 06:57 AM)tigerjeb Wrote:  it is a horrible idea but the city has to figure out some way to get bikes out to the harrahan bridge somehow and this doesnt cost them a cent - until someone gets killed and the lawsuits are filed.

There should be a way to get to the bridge from Channel 3 Drive.

This is total BS and is just another example of how political expediency gets rammed down citizens throats when Federal Dollars are involved.

06-08-2014 08:04 PM
KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS
One stupid idea. Not to mention dangerous.
06-08-2014 09:34 PM
Advertisement

JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

(06-07-2014 12:14 AM)MGR Wrote:  I know there is another thread about this somewhere, but I can't find it.

I live downtown and was just coming home from work about 11 pm. I was driving north on Riverside, and there was a lot of southbound traffic.....going rather fast. If someone happens to cross the yellow line coming towards you, you have absolutely nowhere to go.

So the first time a drunk gets distracted, drops his cell phone in the floorboard and reaches to pick it up, or a teen is sending an important text, somebody is going to get killed.

But hey what do I know.......maybe there aren't many kids or drunks driving downtown on weekend nights.
This is a concern for every road cyclist every day on the road. Riverside is no different.
06-09-2014 07:04 AM
MemphisNate Offline
Special Teams

(06-07-2014 12:14 AM)MGR Wrote:  I know there is another thread about this somewhere, but I can't find it.

(06-08-2014 02:52 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  It's a horrible idea. People are distracted enough barrelling down Riverside trying to look at the view and figure out where they are going, not to mention the ones that just came off the interstate at a higher rate of speed. It is very difficult to pull out of the driveway at the River Towers for that very reason.
This is another political do-at-any-cost, half-baked idea to keep up with the Joneses, like the attempt to run the Greenline right through my neighborhood on our city sidewalks, ten feet from our doors. Great ideas, if done with common sense. Someone on a bike is going to get killed on Riverside Drive.

(06-08-2014 05:35 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  My first time driving on Riverside Dr. today and some people were driving on the on coming traffic lane before swerving back when seeing traffic coming. Its a total disaster waiting to happen

How is Riverside being a 2 lane road any different than any other 2 lane road that is only separated by yellow lines?
06-09-2014 02:15 PM
Heisman

(06-09-2014 07:04 AM)JTiger Wrote:  

This is a concern for every road cyclist every day on the road. Riverside is no different.

It's very different, for all the reasons I enumerated. Ever been down there on a Saturday afternoon or early evening?
06-09-2014 05:05 PM
homefry20 Offline
Pay Me at This Window

I Root For: Rationality
Why didnt they use one lane on each side of the median for traffic and the other on each side for bikes?
06-09-2014 07:08 PM
MGR Offline
1st String

(06-09-2014 02:15 PM)MemphisNate Wrote:  

(06-08-2014 02:52 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  It's a horrible idea. People are distracted enough barrelling down Riverside trying to look at the view and figure out where they are going, not to mention the ones that just came off the interstate at a higher rate of speed. It is very difficult to pull out of the driveway at the River Towers for that very reason.

(06-08-2014 05:35 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  My first time driving on Riverside Dr. today and some people were driving on the on coming traffic lane before swerving back when seeing traffic coming. Its a total disaster waiting to happen

How is Riverside being a 2 lane road any different than any other 2 lane road that is only separated by yellow lines?

The volume of traffic, curve of the road, people often trying to look at the river, curbs that block you in where if someone is coming at you, there is no way to even get off the road.

Drive it at night, especially on a weekend, and I think you will get the answer.
06-09-2014 10:30 PM
Advertisement

JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

(06-09-2014 05:05 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  

It's very different, for all the reasons I enumerated. Ever been down there on a Saturday afternoon or early evening?
Yes I have and I've ridden on many other roads with traffic. It's no different. Traffic is traffic and drunk drivers are everywhere not just downtown.
06-10-2014 06:46 AM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

What I think would make it better is 1) if parking is on the same side as the river (let's face it, people are parking to visit the river), and 2) if bikers are protected by either a) cars parked, or b) concrete barriers or at least curbs (barriers you sometimes see along construction sites, usually about 3 -3 1/2 feet tall). If they keep cars parked across the street but put barriers between the vehicular and bike traffic, I have no problem with them doing this.
06-10-2014 05:18 PM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
Just pave Front Street between the convention center and Union Ave. Heck, I have lost a filling driving that section of road....
06-10-2014 07:46 PM
Heisman

(06-10-2014 06:46 AM)JTiger Wrote:  

Yes I have and I've ridden on many other roads with traffic. It's no different. Traffic is traffic and drunk drivers are everywhere not just downtown.

Name me other streets where the view is that mesmerizing, the road is winding, the traffic comes off an interstate, and there are as many intoxicated drivers in one area as there are in downtown on a weekend night. Downtown has 28,000 residents alone, not to mention the 200 bars and restaurants that bring so many folks downtown on the weekend. Come on, dude. I'm a regular driver downtown for work (45 years), and nightime denizen of the area, and Riverside Drive still gives me pause. I avoid it, if I can.
06-11-2014 12:14 AM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-11-2014 12:14 AM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  

Name me other streets where the view is that mesmerizing, the road is winding, the traffic comes off an interstate, and there are as many intoxicated drivers in one area as there are in downtown on a weekend night. Downtown has 28,000 residents alone, not to mention the 200 bars and restaurants that bring so many folks downtown on the weekend. Come on, dude. I'm a regular driver downtown for work (45 years), and nightime denizen of the area, and Riverside Drive still gives me pause. I avoid it, if I can.

Exactly! The natural conditions makes it extremely dangerous. Going Northbound coming off of 55 at at an accelerated speed, now going downhill at that bend right where the river catches your eye is a disaster waiting to happen more now that its one lane
06-11-2014 01:57 AM
Advertisement

Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(06-07-2014 06:57 AM)tigerjeb Wrote:  it is a horrible idea but the city has to figure out some way to get bikes out to the harrahan bridge somehow and this doesnt cost them a cent - until someone gets killed and the lawsuits are filed.

Scary. Where do bikes go after they get to the Harrahan bridge?
06-11-2014 08:48 AM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I wouldn't exactly call Riverside Drive a winding road. There are drunk drivers everywhere. I don't ride on major roads like Poplar or Walnut Grove but I know some that do and have had no problems.

The biggest distractions I've seen from drivers aren't views but texting. At least if the drivers are looking at the river their head is up.

It might be on MPD to set up a speed trap at each end to slow drivers down and get the word out to obey the speed limit.

This spot would be a good candidate for protected bike lanes.

[Image: protected.bike.lane.petition.jpg]
06-11-2014 12:24 PM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

(06-11-2014 08:48 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  

Scary. Where do bikes go after they get to the Harrahan bridge?

Arkansas is putting up money to extend trails to their main street as well.

It's being called a main to main project

http://main2main.com/
06-11-2014 12:25 PM
homefry20 Offline
Pay Me at This Window

I Root For: Rationality
(06-11-2014 12:24 PM)JTiger Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 07:04 AM)JTiger Wrote:  This is a concern for every road cyclist every day on the road. Riverside is no different.

I wouldn't exactly call Riverside Drive a winding road. There are drunk drivers everywhere. I don't ride on major roads like Poplar or Walnut Grove but I know some that do and have had no problems.

The biggest distractions I've seen from drivers aren't views but texting. At least if the drivers are looking at the river their head is up.

It might be on MPD to set up a speed trap at each end to slow drivers down and get the word out to obey the speed limit.

This spot would be a good candidate for protected bike lanes.

[Image: protected.bike.lane.petition.jpg]

They at least need something. I am against setting up "speed traps" as this will lead to new revenue and thus a malicious attempt by police to make Riverside an even bigger clusterfruck.
06-11-2014 05:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.