Pac 12 in dallas
ACC in Nashville
06-05-2014 02:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: Big Ten eyeing Madison Square Garden for 2018 hoops tourney
Quote:Madison Square Garden has a long-term deal to host the Big East tournament, so one of the leagues – likely the Big Ten – would have to be flexible in its dates.

That would mean that the Big Ten plays its tournament the week before the other P5 conferences, just to get into MSG. I won't believe that until it's official.
06-05-2014 03:23 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Agreed Wedge. Or paying the Big East a ton of money to move their tourney to Phily for a year.
06-05-2014 03:24 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Ugh! Folks on the east coast may think the MSG is a big deal, but fans in the Midwest couldn't care less about this arena. The main thing I am getting out of this announcement is the big ten is trying to have its tourney on the east coast 2 years in a row when Delaney just said a few weeks ago it will only be once every 5 years (or something like that).

Delaney ' s east coast push has now crossed the line from slightly annoying to now officially annoying the sh!t out of me. This east coast push is going to do nothing but p!S's off midwest fans.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 03:27 PM by goofus.)
06-05-2014 03:26 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(06-05-2014 03:26 PM)goofus Wrote:  Ugh! Folks on the east coast may think the MSG is a big deal, but fans in the Midwest couldn't care less about this arena. The main thing I am getting out of this announcement is the big ten is trying to have its tourney on the east coast 2 years in a row when Delaney just said a few weeks ago it will only be once every 5 years (or something like that).

Delaney ' s east coast push has now crossed the line from slightly annoying to now officially annoying the sh!t out of me. This east coast push is going to do nothing but p!S's off midwest fans.

I couldn't care less until UC played in the Big East tourney there and I saw just how amazing that place is. The announcers talk about the atmosphere all the time there. I think the media talking about you being in the sports mecca is enough to warrant consideration there.
06-05-2014 03:29 PM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Other interesting tidbits:

1. Football championship in Indianapolis till at least 2021.
2. Basketball tournament in Chicago/Indianapolis in 2019-2022.
06-05-2014 03:35 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(06-05-2014 03:35 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Other interesting tidbits:

Yes, there was a reason that was all announced at the same time. They knew the MSG announcement would annoy the fans in the midwest, so this was an attempt to throw them a bone and temper their reaction, which I give them credit for seeing the backlash coming, but I ain't falling for it.

2 years in a row on the east coast is just not something the big ten should do and they know it!
06-05-2014 03:46 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

Yup. Delany said roughly once every 5 years. And I'd be willing to bet if the Garden is to host the 2018 Big Ten tourney, the Big East (in addition to getting its Gavitt Tipoff series) will get a sweetheart deal with a midwestern arena in that year. I'm thinking the United Center. The Big East might even see the value in playing their tournament in the midwest from time to time given that half of the membership is west of the Appalachians.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 03:47 PM by brista21.)
06-05-2014 03:46 PM
uconnwhaler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: uconn
So Uconn to the B1G? :)
06-05-2014 04:02 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(06-05-2014 03:23 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
Quote:Madison Square Garden has a long-term deal to host the Big East tournament, so one of the leagues – likely the Big Ten – would have to be flexible in its dates.

That would mean that the Big Ten plays its tournament the week before the other P5 conferences, just to get into MSG. I won't believe that until it's official.

Right, the switching of dates won't happen. The Big Ten is locked in to be the last game on CBS before the NCAA Tournament Selection Show. Delany isn't stupid - it doesn't matter where the game is being played physically when it comes to that elite TV time slot.

What's more likely is what someone else mentioned - IF the B1G gets MSG (and that's a massive IF to me), then the Big East moves to the United Center for a year.
06-05-2014 04:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
(06-05-2014 03:46 PM)goofus Wrote:  

Yes, there was a reason that was all announced at the same time. They knew the MSG announcement would annoy the fans in the midwest, so this was an attempt to throw them a bone and temper their reaction, which I give them credit for seeing the backlash coming, but I ain't falling for it.

2 years in a row on the east coast is just not something the big ten should do and they know it!

My hope is that this is a one time thing based on the changing membership. The idea could be, the last 5 year cycle (not that there actually was one when they started) ended with a game in DC and the next 5 year cycle begins with one in New York. Given they are trying to integrate both Maryland and Rutgers they kind of frontloaded one of the appearances, but 4 out of 5 years in the Midwest will be the norm.

On the Big Ten Turnament dates, while I'm fairly sure Frank is right (and thus getting Madison Square Garden requires super sweatheart deal with the Big East of which the early season challenge may actually be part). With that said, does anyone know if NCAA rules require a conference tournament be at the end of the season? I wouldn't mind seeing the tournament a week early provided the regular season continued after that. In some ways that would actually be pretty neat. Crown the touranment champ and then come back for a week of regular season match-ups to crown the Big Ten champ. You could leave a couple high profile games for Sunday with the hope they effect the championship.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 05:10 PM by ohio1317.)
06-05-2014 05:10 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(06-05-2014 05:10 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 03:46 PM)goofus Wrote:  

My hope is that this is a one time thing based on the changing membership. The idea could be, the last 5 year cycle (not that there actually was one when they started) ended with a game in DC and the next 5 year cycle begins with one in New York. Given they are trying to integrate both Maryland and Rutgers they kind of frontloaded one of the appearances, but 4 out of 5 years in the Midwest will be the norm.

On the Big Ten Turnament dates, while I'm fairly sure Frank is right (and thus getting Madison Square Garden requires super sweatheart deal with the Big East of which the early season challenge may actually be part). With that said, does anyone know if NCAA rules require a conference tournament be at the end of the season? I wouldn't mind seeing the tournament a week early provided the regular season continued after that. In some ways that would actually be pretty neat. Crown the touranment champ and then come back for a week of regular season match-ups to crown the Big Ten champ. You could leave a couple high profile games for Sunday with the hope they effect the championship.

You probably would want to contact John Swofford re: rules about conference tournaments, since it was an ACC invention.
06-05-2014 05:58 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
I really don't get the Big Ten's new obsession with the Eastern Seaboard.

There's twice as many people in the Midwest as in the stretch from NYC to DC. Not only that, but it's a pro sports market, and it always will be. Sure, they already have lots of fans in the Midwest and are trying to build a new market, but many a business has gone south when they take their core fans for granted

This is the equivalent of the NHL moving Canadian teams to the Sun Belt. A little is ok, but moving the Big 10's biggest games to the East Coast is like putting a hockey team in Phoenix.
06-05-2014 06:02 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-05-2014 06:02 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  I really don't get the Big Ten's new obsession with the Eastern Seaboard.

There's twice as many people in the Midwest as in the stretch from NYC to DC. Not only that, but it's a pro sports market, and it always will be. Sure, they already have lots of fans in the Midwest and are trying to build a new market, but many a business has gone south when they take their core fans for granted

This is the equivalent of the NHL moving Canadian teams to the Sun Belt. A little is ok, but moving the Big 10's biggest games to the East Coast is like putting a hockey team in Phoenix.

You may be right, but I bet Delany's response would be that it's like putting an NHL team in L.A.
06-05-2014 06:22 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(06-05-2014 04:39 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

Right, the switching of dates won't happen. The Big Ten is locked in to be the last game on CBS before the NCAA Tournament Selection Show. Delany isn't stupid - it doesn't matter where the game is being played physically when it comes to that elite TV time slot.

What's more likely is what someone else mentioned - IF the B1G gets MSG (and that's a massive IF to me), then the Big East moves to the United Center for a year.

The BET final is Saturday night. MSG could host the B1G semis and finals Saturday and Sunday afternoon, and even squeeze in two quarter finals Friday afternoon, and play the rest of the tournament at the Pru in Newark or earlier in the week at campus sites.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 07:42 PM by orangefan.)
06-05-2014 07:41 PM
Advertisement

Eichorst Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Nebraska
(06-05-2014 07:41 PM)orangefan Wrote:  

The BET final is Saturday night. MSG could host the B1G semis and finals Saturday and Sunday afternoon, and even squeeze in two quarter finals Friday afternoon, and play the rest of the tournament at the Pru in Newark or earlier in the week at campus sites.

The B1G tourney with 14 teams (and possibly 16 by 2018) could be split into a larger event with the Rounds of 14 and 8 split into East and West cities, moving into NY for the "Final Four" and championship games on Saturday/Sunday at Madison Square Garden.

It's a bit outside the box, but there's no reason they couldn't host Day 1 and 2 in Minneapolis and Cleveland, for instance, and then move to NY for Day 3 and 4.
06-06-2014 07:55 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-06-2014 07:55 AM)Eichorst Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 07:41 PM)orangefan Wrote:  

The B1G tourney with 14 teams (and possibly 16 by 2018) could be split into a larger event with the Rounds of 14 and 8 split into East and West cities, moving into NY for the "Final Four" and championship games on Saturday/Sunday at Madison Square Garden.

It's a bit outside the box, but there's no reason they couldn't host Day 1 and 2 in Minneapolis and Cleveland, for instance, and then move to NY for Day 3 and 4.

No, I think that the entire conference needs to be there, and the conference needs to be there for the week, in order to get whatever benefits you get from being at MSG.

If the Big Ten wants to be there, they need to have the run of the building for the week before the NCAA tournament. They just need to get out the checkbook and write the Big East whatever check is needed to get the BE to play in Philly or DC or Chicago that year. The Big Ten can easily afford it.
06-06-2014 12:37 PM
connecticutguy Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UConn
(06-05-2014 04:02 PM)uconnwhaler Wrote:  So Uconn to the B1G? :)

I can't see Big Ten going to MSG for tournament without bringing along UConn! Let's hope that Big signs up UConn ASAP!
06-07-2014 01:20 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
What I don't think some people fully understand is how integral the Big East Tournament is to the conference as a whole. And a HUGE part of that identity is wrapped up in its NYC/MSG location. I can't imagine any realistic sum of money that would be worth the Big East sacrificing such a core element of their entire identity. The only comp I can think of is the Big Ten agreeing to forego the Rose Bowl for a few extra bucks. I just don't see this ever happening.
06-07-2014 09:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.