Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Clinton Welch goes from Dulles to Ridge Point
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Clinton Welch goes from Dulles to Ridge Point
Rice alum Clinton Welch was just named the new baseball coach at Ridge Point (my neighborhood high school). RPHS is a fairly new school out in Fort Bend ISD - they are graduating just their second senior class this week - but it's a great recruiting area (and also home to a number of Rice coaches and administrators including Coach Bailiff).

Dulles' loss is our gain. Nice move by Ridge Point (which will be loaded by the way in football next year).

http://ridgepoinths.com/news/2014/06/04/...announced/
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2014 10:11 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
06-04-2014 10:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: Clinton Welch goes from Dulles to Ridge Point
Hopefully he'll deep six the purple camo baseball unis.
06-04-2014 11:30 PM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH
This guy is a GREAT coach. I am stunned and saddened (as a Dulles alum) to see he is leaving. He was the coach at Dulles when I was in HS in the early 90's and I think he is the winningest baseball coach in the area. Anyone know why the Ridgepoint coach got dismissed? They went to the playoffs this year without having any seniors.
06-05-2014 08:36 AM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

RPHS has had seniors for at least 2 years.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 11:12 AM by Tomball Owl.)
06-05-2014 11:11 AM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

(06-05-2014 11:11 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  RPHS has had seniors for at least 2 years.

My bad. I didn't think that HS had been around that long. Even still, they were definitely in the playoffs this year. Odd that the coach would get dismissed.
06-05-2014 12:52 PM
Advertisement

louismcc Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rice

Donators
(06-05-2014 12:52 PM)Mademen Wrote:  My bad. I didn't think that HS had been around that long. Even still, they were definitely in the playoffs this year. Odd that the coach would get dismissed.

There are lots of theories as to why the Ridge Point coach was dismissed, but most are speculation and need to be ignored. I will say however that the recent Ridge Point graduates that I know were all very disappointed in his dismissal.

As far as why Welch would move, I suspect one reason would have to do with baseball prospects for the next few years. After playing in the state finals a year ago, Dulles lost pretty much all of its talent and were facing a long rebuild process. Ridge Point may not have done as well this year as they did in 2013 but they have a boatload of players coming on board so with the right coaching they should do well.

With the redistricting, Ridge Point is back up in 5A and will be competing once again with Elkins which is a great rivalry. The coach that came to Elkins last year has proven to be someone who develops talent so I suspect some good players will come out of both schools over the next few years.
06-05-2014 01:38 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(06-05-2014 12:52 PM)Mademen Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 11:11 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  RPHS has had seniors for at least 2 years.

My bad. I didn't think that HS had been around that long. Even still, they were definitely in the playoffs this year. Odd that the coach would get dismissed.

Well, if an entire class of players failed at the same time, that may look suspicious and cause the coach to be dismissed.

what's that? not the same seniors for two years? .... nevermind...
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 01:59 PM by I45owl.)
06-05-2014 01:58 PM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

Most of the neighborhoods that feed into Dulles are much older than Ridgepoint. Many of the upper middle class and wealthy families that lived in Sugar Creek, Quail Valley, Sugar Lakes (that fed into Dulles) just don't have as many kids in those areas or have been zoned elsewhere. Ridgepoint is basically all of Sienna and maybe Fresno as well. They are going to dominate in every sport IMO.
06-05-2014 02:05 PM
FortBendBaseballWatcher Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rice
(06-05-2014 08:36 AM)Mademen Wrote:  This guy is a GREAT coach. I am stunned and saddened (as a Dulles alum) to see he is leaving. He was the coach at Dulles when I was in HS in the early 90's and I think he is the winningest baseball coach in the area. Anyone know why the Ridgepoint coach got dismissed? They went to the playoffs this year without having any seniors.

Previous baseball coach and the football coach (campus AD) didn't see eye to eye. FB coach said program needed to go in another direction. Welch is a very good baseball coach and runs a great program. Like another user alluded to, the Dulles feeder area is getting little older and replenishing the talent every year is getting difficult. Similar to Quail Valley & Elkins. Dulles is pretty landlocked w/ no real new neighborhoods growing and feeding into the school. Welch is a smart guy, probably saw the writing on the wall. The talent coming out of Sienna is very young but those that are familiar with the area know it comes with it's own issues. Very similar to Clements in the sense that the area has money and thus opinions. The Ridge Point issues will be off the field and not on the field. Welch is a no-nonsense guy and if anybody can reel that in, he is the guy.
06-06-2014 04:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.