Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rank the ACC men's basketball coaches
marleycard Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Louisville
Rank the ACC men's basketball coaches
Trying to get some conversation around here. I don't think there's any debate that the ACC has far and away the finest collection of college basketball coaches in the country.

Let the debate begin, let's hear it. Rank 'em...

Jim Christian: Boston College
Brad Brownell: Clemson
Mike Krzyzewski: Duke
Leonard Hamilton: Florida State
Brian Gregory: Georgia Tech
Rick Pitino: Louisville
Jim Larranaga: Miami
Roy Williams: North Carolina
Mark Gottfried: North Carolina State
Mike Brey: Notre Dame
Jamie Dixon: Pittsburgh
Jim Boeheim: Syracuse
Tony Bennett: Virginia
Buzz Williams: Virginia Tech
Danny Manning: Wake Forest
06-04-2014 06:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
RE: Rank the ACC men's basketball coaches
(06-04-2014 06:42 PM)marleycard Wrote:  Trying to get some conversation around here. I don't think there's any debate that the ACC has far and away the finest collection of college basketball coaches in the country.

Let the debate begin, let's hear it. Rank 'em...

Jim Christian: Boston College
Brad Brownell: Clemson
Mike Krzyzewski: Duke
Leonard Hamilton: Florida State
Brian Gregory: Georgia Tech
Rick Pitino: Louisville
Jim Larranaga: Miami
Roy Williams: North Carolina
Mark Gottfried: North Carolina State
Mike Brey: Notre Dame
Jamie Dixon: Pittsburgh
Jim Boeheim: Syracuse
Tony Bennett: Virginia
Buzz Williams: Virginia Tech
Danny Manning: Wake Forest

Coach K - Duke
Rick Pitino - Louisville
Jimmy B - Syracuse
Roy Williams - UNC (although lately I'm beginning to think he's "mailing it in")
Jamie Dixon - Pitt
Jim Larranaga - Miami
Leonard Hamilton - FSU
Mike Brey - ND

Tony Bennett - UVa (with a bullet)

I'm interested to see what Buzz does at VT. His Marquette squads were always contenders in the Big East.

Cheers,
Neil
06-04-2014 11:18 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Damn, there's some good basketball coaches in this league. I don't know where to start.
06-05-2014 01:00 AM
Indytarheel Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
At this point, the only coach who should be ranked ahead of Roy Williams is Coach K. A case may be made for Coach Pitino tying with Roy for second place but other than that, you are not telling the truth if you rank anyone else ahead of Roy Williams.
06-05-2014 08:42 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Brownell is a hell of an X's and O's coach. His big obstacle is to get some good players to Clemson.
06-05-2014 09:10 AM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-05-2014 08:42 AM)Indytarheel Wrote:  At this point, the only coach who should be ranked ahead of Roy Williams is Coach K. A case may be made for Coach Pitino tying with Roy for second place but other than that, you are not telling the truth if you rank anyone else ahead of Roy Williams.

Great that you love your coach, but looking at this objectively, I think a good case can be made that he's done less with more (at both UNC and Kansas) to justify others ahead of him.

But rankings are all opinion anyway.

Cheers,
Neil
06-05-2014 06:47 PM
Indytarheel Offline
Special Teams

(06-05-2014 06:47 PM)omniorange Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 08:42 AM)Indytarheel Wrote:  At this point, the only coach who should be ranked ahead of Roy Williams is Coach K. A case may be made for Coach Pitino tying with Roy for second place but other than that, you are not telling the truth if you rank anyone else ahead of Roy Williams.

Great that you love your coach, but looking at this objectively, I think a good case can be made that he's done less with more (at both UNC and Kansas) to justify others ahead of him.

Cheers,
Neil

Only if you believe that the only metric that counts is number of NCs. Or, if you are measuring the greatness of a team by the number of burger boys are on the squad. Larry Drew II and the Wear twins were deemed McD all Americans after committing to North Carolina. I am sure you would agree that neither of them were all that. I believe Joey Beard was selects as a McD All American after committing to Duke. And then we all know that the variables associated with a single game tourney doesn't necessarily help in defining the best team in college. State wasn't even close to being better than Houston. Nova certainly wasn't better than GTown. So there are several examples you can point to that shutdown the "done less with more argument".
06-05-2014 07:56 PM
opossum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Duke
Krzyzewski
Boeheim
Pitino
Bennett
Larranaga
Dixon
Brey

The rest
06-05-2014 08:15 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(06-05-2014 08:15 PM)opossum Wrote:  Krzyzewski
Boeheim
Pitino
Bennett
Larranaga
Dixon
Brey

The rest

Not that I think Hamilton is all that special, but what puts Larranaga on the list and not him?
06-05-2014 08:55 PM
Advertisement

opossum Offline
2nd String

(06-05-2014 08:55 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 08:15 PM)opossum Wrote:  Krzyzewski
Boeheim
Pitino
Bennett
Larranaga
Dixon
Brey

The rest

Not that I think Hamilton is all that special, but what puts Larranaga on the list and not him?

A friend of mine's son participated in a Larranaga camp, and said he was a stand up guy. Hamilton is too, I'm sure. They've both won the Championship recently, so you're right that I was wrong to leave Hamilton off the list:

Krzyzewski
Boeheim
Pitino
Bennett
Hamilton
Larranaga
Dixon
Brey
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 09:11 PM by opossum.)
06-05-2014 09:07 PM
opossum Offline
2nd String

(06-05-2014 07:56 PM)Indytarheel Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

Only if you believe that the only metric that counts is number of NCs. Or, if you are measuring the greatness of a team by the number of burger boys are on the squad. Larry Drew II and the Wear twins were deemed McD all Americans after committing to North Carolina. I am sure you would agree that neither of them were all that. I believe Joey Beard was selects as a McD All American after committing to Duke. And then we all know that the variables associated with a single game tourney doesn't necessarily help in defining the best team in college. State wasn't even close to being better than Houston. Nova certainly wasn't better than GTown. So there are several examples you can point to that shutdown the "done less with more argument".

How many of those NC's will be vacated, though?
06-05-2014 09:10 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
1. Mike Krzyzewski Duke
2. Rick Pitino Louisville
3. Roy Williams North Carolina
4. Jim Boehiem Syracuse
5. Tony Bennett Virginia
6. Jim Larranaga Miami
7. Mike Brey Notre Dame
8. Buzz Williams Virginia Tech
9. Leonard Hamilton Florida State
The Rest...07-coffee3
06-05-2014 09:19 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(06-05-2014 09:19 PM)Maize Wrote:  1. Mike Krzyzewski Duke
4. Jim Boehiem Syracuse
5. Tony Bennett Virginia
6. Jim Larranaga Miami
7. Mike Brey Notre Dame
The Rest...07-coffee3

Maize, I cant believe you dont have Jaimie Dixon listed. Heres my list

Coach K,
Roy Williams
Pitino
Jimmy B
Jamie Dixon
Buzz Williams
Bennet
Mike Brey
Larranaga
Hamilton
06-05-2014 10:26 PM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville

I don't believe that stance to be as solid as you claim. Coach K is a clear number one IMO, no doubt. But I think a good argument can be made for either of Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, or Jim Boeheim for number 2. Those three would occupy the 2-4 position on nearly every ballot, but not necessarily in a particular order. For one I think Piitno and Boeheim have had a greater impact on the game, even if Williams has more combined titles and final fours than either.
06-06-2014 08:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Indytarheel Offline
Special Teams

(06-05-2014 09:10 PM)opossum Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

The same amount you guys vacated for Maggette and Lance Thomas situations.
06-06-2014 08:27 AM
WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

(06-06-2014 08:18 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  

I don't believe that stance to be as solid as you claim. Coach K is a clear number one IMO, no doubt. But I think a good argument can be made for either of Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, or Jim Boeheim for number 2. Those three would occupy the 2-4 position on nearly every ballot, but not necessarily in a particular order. For one I think Piitno and Boeheim have had a greater impact on the game, even if Williams has more combined titles and final fours than either.

I agree.

The list has to have Coach K at the top. Then you can put 2-4 in any order you wish between JB, Pitino and Williams. The drop after that is so large it really isn't (IMO) worth discussing the rest.
06-06-2014 08:27 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(06-05-2014 10:26 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 09:19 PM)Maize Wrote:  1. Mike Krzyzewski Duke
4. Jim Boehiem Syracuse
5. Tony Bennett Virginia
6. Jim Larranaga Miami
7. Mike Brey Notre Dame
The Rest...07-coffee3

Maize, I cant believe you dont have Jaimie Dixon listed. Heres my list

Coach K,
Roy Williams
Pitino
Jimmy B
Jamie Dixon
Buzz Williams
Bennet
Mike Brey
Larranaga
Hamilton

Complete and total Brain Fart....03-lmfao

1. Mike Krzyzewski Duke
4. Jim Boehiem Syracuse
5. Tony Bennett Virginia
6. Jim Larranaga Miami
7. Jamie Dixon Pitt
8. Mike Brey Notre Dame
9. Buzz Williams Virginia Tech
10. Leonard Hamilton Florida State
The Rest...07-coffee3
06-06-2014 08:30 AM
Advertisement

Indytarheel Offline
Special Teams

(06-06-2014 08:18 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  

Fair enough; however, when did anyone started talking about scoring efficiency and secondary breaks. Yelp, ol Roy brought that to the table. Of course each of us will support our coach in this argument. We are splitting hairs at this point but I think Williams's body of work places him at #2. There was an article that was written by Gary Parrish that countered the ridiculous vote of him being the most overrated coach. The article was titled "UNC's Roy Williams is more underappreciated than overrated" and it was written on 09Sep2013. If you have the time, check it out and see if your opinion changes.
06-06-2014 08:41 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(06-05-2014 09:10 AM)mlb Wrote:  Brownell is a hell of an X's and O's coach. His big obstacle is to get some good players to Clemson.

Agree with this...will be interesting to see what he does the next couple years in Clemson. He had a very underrated squad last season.

I think ACC Hoops is in great shape. I don't think any other league can match Top to Bottom the coaching lineup of the ACC. When a coach like Buzz Williams goes to VT that really strengthens the lineup.
06-06-2014 08:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
opossum Offline
2nd String

(06-06-2014 08:27 AM)Indytarheel Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 09:10 PM)opossum Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

The same amount you guys vacated for Maggette and Lance Thomas situations.

You're probably right, but a stupid jewelry loan that the program didn't know about and stupid contact with an agent that the program didn't know about doesn't warrant it. Systemic academic fraud that the coaches knew about and participated in does.
06-06-2014 11:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.