Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UH gets hosed
Hardball Owl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: students

New Orleans BowlFootball Genius
UH gets hosed
NCAA picks Texas over UH to host super regional. I don't know what kind of bid UH put in. No doubt it was somewhat smaller than UT's. But their record shows they deserved to host.
06-04-2014 12:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jhruzek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: UH gets hosed
If it weren't all about the money, we would still be playing in the SWC!
06-04-2014 06:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiki Owl Online
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(06-04-2014 12:21 AM)Hardball Owl Wrote:  NCAA picks Texas over UH to host super regional. I don't know what kind of bid UH put in. No doubt it was somewhat smaller than UT's. But their record shows they deserved to host.

The two teams records are almost identical. My question is if it did come down to money why didn't UH research what UT had bid in the past and make sure the UH bid was some percentage higher (to account for inflation and increased interest in the tourney)? There was a track record out there that could have guided UH's bid. With a stadium only about 35% as large UH's calculated bid might have led to a loss of money to UH but you have to do what you have to do to combat UT. Show some confidence in your team Mack Rhoades and do what you can to try as hard as possible to get the Super at home.
06-04-2014 06:22 AM
jhruzek Offline
1st String

Difference is greater than $90,000 per Chronicle. I doubt UH admin would have allowed that kind of loss just to host.
06-04-2014 06:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(06-04-2014 06:27 AM)jhruzek Wrote:  Difference is greater than $90,000 per Chronicle. I doubt UH admin would have allowed that kind of loss just to host.

With all Khantor and company are doing to elevate the perception of UH, I'm surprised they would not have made the kind of bid that would guarantee home field advantage should the Coogs get that far.
06-04-2014 06:31 AM
Tiki Owl Online
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(06-04-2014 06:27 AM)jhruzek Wrote:  Difference is greater than $90,000 per Chronicle. I doubt UH admin would have allowed that kind of loss just to host.

They could have tacked on another student fee.03-lmfao But seriously don't they have the equivalent of the RBI club or some wealthy alum that could donate that kind of money. It isn't all that much.
06-04-2014 06:31 AM
Advertisement

Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(06-04-2014 06:31 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  

They could have tacked on another student fee.03-lmfao But seriously don't they have the equivalent of the RBI club or some wealthy alum that could donate that kind of money. It isn't all that much.

Was Pede not solicited for his opinion ? 05-stirthepot Surely he has an appreciation for what it takes to win the bid ?
06-04-2014 06:35 AM
jhruzek Offline
1st String

Maybe if they weren't building their new football stadium....
06-04-2014 07:04 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
UH gets hosed
UH probably had no idea what regional they would be in, much less what seed they would be in when they bid. 100k seems a bit expensive just to hedge your bets on hosting a SR when you're not certain it would've been needed.

If the bid did go to UH, it would've been pretty obvious that UH bid to take a loss and that itself would've been controversial.
06-04-2014 07:26 AM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH
Blind bids to host both regionals and supers had to be in on May 15th. A 90 K difference which reduces even more if it is a 2 game series sure seems like a drop in the bucket for an organization that took in 913 million in revenue in 2013. There was no way to know who you were bidding against. You could guess Texas, but that would only be a guess. The main difference between Cougar Field and Disch is capacity and there isn't much you can do about that in the middle of the season.

Again, this would be a non-issue if UH (as the baseball has indicated) had rightly been placed as a 1 seed. I'm not going to fault the administration for being out moneyed by Texas.
06-04-2014 08:04 AM
rice-76-03-06 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice!

DonatorsDonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
From this morning's Austin American Statesman:
Quote:UT guaranteed it would pay the NCAA a total of $135,787.50 in its regional bid, according to a university document obtained by the American-Statesman through an open records request. The school also had 2,000 postseason ticket orders even before school officials knew they were hosting an event.

Houston officials guaranteed a total of $77,298.75, according to a UH document obtained by the Statesman through an open records request.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/sports/c...d-pr/ngDKH
06-04-2014 08:05 AM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(06-04-2014 12:21 AM)Hardball Owl Wrote:  NCAA picks Texas over UH to host super regional. I don't know what kind of bid UH put in. No doubt it was somewhat smaller than UT's. But their record shows they deserved to host.

Record and resume has absolutely nothing to do with hosting a super-regional, when the #1 seeds get eliminated, and you have a super-regional with two similar seeded teams.
06-04-2014 08:21 AM
davidw Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice
I think $75K is a reasonable bid; if I were Khantor I'd rather put the money into the football stadium.

UH baseball is on pretty solid footing from what I can see. The Coogs are going to be tough customers from here on out. There'll be other opportunities.
06-04-2014 08:23 AM
Frizzy Owl Online
Heisman

"UH got hosed" has become a tiresome canard. This isn't even a UH forum.
06-04-2014 08:32 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(06-04-2014 08:04 AM)Mademen Wrote:  Blind bids to host both regionals and supers had to be in on May 15th. A 90 K difference which reduces even more if it is a 2 game series sure seems like a drop in the bucket for an organization that took in 913 million in revenue in 2013. There was no way to know who you were bidding against. You could guess Texas, but that would only be a guess. The main difference between Cougar Field and Disch is capacity and there isn't much you can do about that in the middle of the season.

Again, this would be a non-issue if UH (as the baseball has indicated) had rightly been placed as a 1 seed. I'm not going to fault the administration for being out moneyed by Texas.

No question, UH had a #1 seed worthy resume...but they were a victim of numbers (as only 16 #1 seeds are awarded and there were already 5 #1 seeds in the southwest regions-- Rice, OSU, ULL, LSU, TCU)...and had one, very significant blemish on their resume (a distant 3rd place regular season finish in the #7th ranked conference). Amongst the #1 seeds, who should have gotten bumped out by UH? Had Rice not won the CUSA tourney, you would have had a very good argument, but given at the time host sites were awarded Rice not only had the higher RPI (and we were #7, putting us in the running for a national seed), but won both the regular season (by 3 full games) and CUSA tournament championship of the #8th ranked conference (with virtually the same RPI ranking as the AAC). Consequently, no way the Committee was going to give UH the bid over Rice, regardless to other aspects of their respective resumes.
06-04-2014 08:34 AM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH

Damn right! Money, money, money. That's all that matters anymore. That, and pandering to the almighty UT!
06-04-2014 08:53 AM
Advertisement

Frizzy Owl Online
Heisman

(06-04-2014 08:53 AM)Afflicted Wrote:  

Damn right! Money, money, money. That's all that matters anymore. That, and pandering to the almighty UT!

One more time:
Bids were submitted before the regionals began.
The rules clearly state that bids are the tiebreaker.
No exceptions were made - no "pandering". If UH had made the higher bid, they would be hosting.
06-04-2014 09:03 AM
ausowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: New Orleans

New Orleans Bowl
(06-04-2014 08:53 AM)Afflicted Wrote:  

Yes, yes it's a cliche and I'm going to benefit from a super in Austin, but:

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill

Think of the disruption to the dark side if UH can pull this out . . . in Austin.
06-04-2014 09:07 AM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
(06-04-2014 06:31 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  

C'mon now. Lets not do this again. UH and Rice are both financially challenged when it comes to athletics. Where are all the successful Rice alums with all the buildings named after them when the athletics department needs them the most?
06-04-2014 09:50 AM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
And this is why I made the comment yesterday about how that relatively small stadium is going to make it harder for UH to win in bidding to host. Outside of being a national seed, that small stadium, and the revenue it would generate, is going to handicap them bidding against other schools. UT is probably an unfair opponent to bid against, but most decent schools have larger stadiums and can probably bid more.
06-04-2014 09:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.