Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"The U: The Sequel"
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
"The U: The Sequel"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college...d-cup-fox/

ESPN can't quit the University of Miami -- and that's good news for sports documentary viewers.

The network's ESPN Films division has ordered a second "30 for 30" documentary on Miami's football program following the immensely popular "The U" that aired in 2009.

The working title for the upcoming film is "The U: Part 2" and reunites "The U" director Billy Corben and producer Alfred Spellman. The documentary will air this winter as part of ESPN's "30 for 30" series, and the running time is expected to be two hours.

The original "The U" film was watched by 2.368 million viewers during its Dec. 12, 2009 debut, which was ESPN's highest-rated documentary at the time. Executives at ESPN Films will tell you that more people ask about "The U" than any other documentary they've done.
-- Richard Deitsch

JUST CAN'T QUIT U BABE
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2014 01:58 PM by green.)
06-02-2014 02:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
RE: "The U: Part 2"
Man, this is going to help Miami so much... 03-yawn
06-02-2014 03:54 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I love ESPN's 30 for 30 series but I think "The U" was among the most disappointing ones they've done.

There is SO MUCH to examine about how this small private school in suburban Miami became the most powerful college football program of our lifetime - and somehow sustained it - before subsequently crashing back to earth.

Instead, Corbin settled for things like how the players were welcomed to all the cool night clubs around town and how stuffy Dean Wormer - or whatever the hell the guy's name was - broke up that animal house because he was an old stick in the mud.

Trite.

There should have been SO MUCH more on the Pell Grant scandal in which the Hurricane football program literally ripped off the federal government and how players were being murdered on campus - or just off it - in drug deals gone awry.

Maybe in "The U: Part 2" they will right those wrongs? Maybe they will spend a lot of time discussing the Nevin Shapiro fiasco and how that has been a part of a well established trend for that program?

Nah, just kidding. Hopefully they'll just spend more time discussing how cool Lamar Thomas and Eddie Brown used to be.

The SMU piece was MUCH, much more compelling.
06-02-2014 05:17 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

It's apparently going to focus on the "rebirth" of the program after the mid/late-90s cratering to it's national title appearance. It's supposed to make reference to the Shapiro stuff but the scandal stuff will probably be more of an afterthought like in the first. The first one spent more time gloating about their on-field celebrations, "handshakes" and celebrity than anything. I would expect this one to focus on the same crap we already know, just like the first one did, and really fall short of giving us a new perspective on things or digging to find information that wasn't already widely known or presumed.

Billy Corbin's overrated as hell.
06-02-2014 06:24 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: "The U: The Sequel"
Quote:No, director Billy Corben assures, the much-anticipated ESPN sequel to the “U” documentary will not evolve into The Nevin Shapiro Show.

“This is not what the movie is about,” Corben said, as he and producer Alfred Spellman craft another two-hour film about the University of Miami football program, set to air sometime this winter.

“Make no mistake, [the Shapiro saga] will be in there, but the focus is on the 2001 team.”

Even so, UM declined to participate, just as it did for the first film, which debuted in 2009 and drew the most viewers (2.3 million) ever for an ESPN documentary to that point.

This time around, UM denied their request to speak with president Donna Shalala, coach Al Golden, offensive line coach Art Kehoe and strength and conditioning coach Andrew Swasey.

“This is not a surprise to me but perhaps not the wisest strategy,” Corben said. “I’m never shocked but always disappointed by UM. They’re perpetually in damage control mode. Nobody wants to see the documentary the administration wants you to see. People want to see the unauthorized story.”

Corben said UM tried to obstruct the process during the first movie “but the consternation they needlessly caused us last time was a positive for us. I was shocked the last time how they treated us.”

Corben wanted to speak with Shapiro, but inmates in federal prisons are not permitted to do on-camera interviews, Corben said.

Shapiro couldn’t speak by phone with Corben because he said Shapiro’s phone and email privileges were revoked.

“There is some very compelling new information we’ve received to offer something new to the Shapiro narrative,” Corben said, declining to detail the information because he understandably wants to use it in the movie. “We have received a lot of insights that shed light on previous allegations or refute prior allegations. Not new allegations but new information that we’ve received on the record.”

Corben assures that none of the new information could result in a new NCAA investigation.

Several players agreed to discuss the Shapiro scandal, on camera, and Corben and Spellman are deciding how much of that to incorporate. We hear former safety Randy Phillips spoke candidly, on-camera, about the perks Shapiro gave players.

“For some, it was a sensitive subject,” Corben said. “Some were outright cool talking about it. Some brought it up themselves.”

Corben and Spellman interviewed close to 30 people. Among them: Ed Reed, Bryant McKinnie, DJ Williams, Jonathan Vilma, Phillip Buchanon, Santana Moss and Sinorice Moss.

The documentary begins where the last one left off, in 1992.

“It’s not a dissimilar arc to the first movie – the rise and fall [of the program],” Corben said. “The bulk of the story is coming out of the Pell Grant scandal, the NCAA sanctions of 1995, the SI cover story of 1995 and what Butch Davis did.

“You have this down-on-its-luck team experiencing a lot of issues, and in comes Butch Davis and he builds it even better than years before. Those 2000, 2001 and 2002, what should have been three consecutive national championships, that’s the primary focus.

“They had 17 first-round picks and nearly 40 players from a single roster that ended up in the NFL; 2001 is not only greatest college team of all time but probably the greatest NFL team ever assembled. The idea that after the devastating sanctions of the early-to-mid 90s, the idea you could not only rebuild the program to former glory, but surpass that, is a measure of hope for the future.”

That aspect of the story held personal meaning for Corben, who was a UM freshman in 1996.

Though Corben and ESPN share editorial control, he said the network has not pushed him to include more about the Shapiro scandal.

Corben originally planned to incorporate the 2001 team into the first documentary but realized there would not be enough time to fit that into a two-hour film. Corben pitched ESPN on a sequel in 2010 and 2011, before doing another critically-acclaimed and highly-rated movie for ESPN (Broke, about athletes squandering money).

“I gave up any hope we would do [the sequel],” he said. “Then, very early this year, the opportunity came from them. I said, ‘Hell, Yeah.’”

The name of the film has not been determined.

“Bono would be pissed if we called it U2,” Corben said. “At the moment, The U Part 2 is the working title. Names are above my pay grade. The [original movie] was entitled Hurricane Season. ESPN said, ‘Why don’t we call it the U?’”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-bu...rylink=cpy

SQUEAL LIKE A PIG
08-25-2014 01:09 PM
Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
Can't wait to see all the glory from their many ACC title game appearances.

About the only coverage they should get are historical documentaries....

THING OF THE PAST
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2014 01:17 PM by Ragu.)
08-25-2014 01:16 PM
Advertisement

HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
(08-25-2014 01:16 PM)Ragu Wrote:  Can't wait to see all the glory from their many ACC title game appearances.

THING OF THE PAST

03-lmfao
08-25-2014 01:37 PM
LUcanesfan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Flames / Canes
(08-25-2014 01:16 PM)Ragu Wrote:  Can't wait to see all the glory from their many ACC title game appearances.

THING OF THE PAST

Are you upset that ESPN is not going to run a documentary on Jameis Winston called "(Pig)Skin & (Crab)Legs"? 05-stirthepot
08-25-2014 04:06 PM
Ragu Offline
All American

(08-25-2014 04:06 PM)LUcanesfan Wrote:  

THING OF THE PAST

Are you upset that ESPN is not going to run a documentary on Jameis Winston called "(Pig)Skin & (Crab)Legs"? 05-stirthepot

You guys can talk about history. We'll settle for the media coverage on being the CURRENT champions.
08-25-2014 05:24 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(08-25-2014 05:24 PM)Ragu Wrote:  

THING OF THE PAST

You guys can talk about history. We'll settle for the media coverage on being the CURRENT champions.

I'll take our history over your brief period of flukey, easy-schedule "championship" winning 03-wink 05-stirthepot
08-25-2014 09:28 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

History's all Miami has...
08-26-2014 12:00 AM
Advertisement

Ragu Offline
All American

(08-25-2014 09:28 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  
(08-25-2014 05:24 PM)Ragu Wrote:  

THING OF THE PAST

I'll take our history over your brief period of flukey, easy-schedule "championship" winning 03-wink 05-stirthepot

You realize Miami is one reason the schedule is called "easy" right?
08-26-2014 06:55 AM
LUcanesfan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Flames / Canes
I wonder if FSU is going to send a sizable donation to the TPD this year...

Clearly the TPD was the true MVP...them and Auburn's wasteland they called a defense.
08-26-2014 09:13 AM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(08-26-2014 06:55 AM)Ragu Wrote:  You realize Miami is one reason the schedule is called "easy" right?

Yep, because it's easy for the game to go either way. 03-phew
08-26-2014 10:45 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

(08-26-2014 09:13 AM)LUcanesfan Wrote:  I wonder if FSU is going to send a sizable donation to the TPD this year...

Clearly the TPD was the true MVP...them and Auburn's wasteland they called a defense.

Miami fan talking about morals! Now I've seen it all....
08-26-2014 11:35 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

"What if I told you... The U is back."
#TheUPart2 @30for30 coming 12/13/14
-- Billy Corben @BillyCorben

WHAT A TEASE
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 02:42 PM by green.)
11-12-2014 01:54 PM
Advertisement

green Offline
Hall of Famer

[Image: B4wR4xJCIAA5bsX.png]

Get ready for #TheUPart2 tonight by watching 'The U' (Part 1) @30for30 network TV debut on @ABCnetwork at 3PM/EST
-- Billy Corben ‏@BillyCorben

over the air ...
and thru the woods to grandma's house we go ...

THE UNDERCARD
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2014 03:07 PM by green.)
12-13-2014 02:37 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

No spoilers for you, but I'll say this: crowd that just watched the screening of The U Part 2 gave it a standing ovation.
-- Christy Chirinos ‏@ChristyChirinos

ENCORE! ENCORE!
12-13-2014 04:22 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
I've got my DVR set. Has potential to be interesting.
12-13-2014 05:36 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
Loved the ending. 03-lmfao

Cheers,
Neil
12-13-2014 11:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.