Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sunday regional games
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Sunday regional games
Several elimination games have begun. Stanford playing Youngstown State in what may be the easiest regional out there. Youngstown State is starting a pitcher who is 0-4 with a nearly 9 ERA (and batters average against of almost .400). Stanford is pitching its midweek starter and is saving their #3 guy. But Youngstown State leads early, 2-0.
06-01-2014 12:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
RE: Sunday regional games
Stanford has tied it at 2.

YSU's line score of "2-0-0" suggests some sloppy early inning Stanford play.
06-01-2014 12:54 PM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(06-01-2014 12:45 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Several elimination games have begun. Stanford playing Youngstown State in what may be the easiest regional out there. Youngstown State is starting a pitcher who is 0-4 with a nearly 9 ERA (and batters average against of almost .400). Stanford is pitching its midweek starter and is saving their #3 guy. But Youngstown State leads early, 2-0.

Stanford could yet pull this regional out, as they've got ample pitching remaining. There issue is offense. They should have no trouble beating YSU in Game 1.
06-01-2014 12:55 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Back-to-back homers. 6-2 Stanford. This could be one of those games that makes one wish for a run rule.
06-01-2014 12:56 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
And it won't be the only blowout. Arkansas leading Bucknell 4-0. Kentucky beating Kansas 7-0. Oregon leads Xavier early 2-0. Alabama 4-0 over Georgia Southern (who lost to Kennesaw State 13-5 in 11 innings last night). Pitching staffs stretched thin on elimination day.
06-01-2014 12:59 PM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
DBU must be licking their chops in anticipation of facing a depleted and exhausted SHS squad.
06-01-2014 01:02 PM
Cooger_Scarlett Offline
2nd String

I Root For: THE U of H-town
(06-01-2014 01:02 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  DBU must be licking their chops in anticipation of facing a depleted and exhausted SHS squad.

Probably would interrupt their BBQ session. They blew a 7 run lead and lost to Siena yesterday.
06-01-2014 01:22 PM
elf owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Birds
(06-01-2014 01:02 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  DBU must be licking their chops in anticipation of facing a depleted and exhausted SHS squad.

DBU would be glad to play today. Unfortunately they were eliminated already.
06-01-2014 01:23 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Houston up early 7-0 on SE Louisiana, which is falling apart defensively (5 errors in the first 2 innings). All 7 runs were unearned. Garza pitching for UH but they might be able to pull him if they get up any more.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 02:49 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
06-01-2014 02:49 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Another extra inning game in the regionals - I think that sets a record. Oregon and Xavier now in the 10th in an elimination game with the score 8-8. UH up 7-2 in the 5th. Sam Houston up 5-0 early on Siena to their credit.
06-01-2014 03:43 PM
ausowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: New Orleans

New Orleans Bowl
So both UH and aTm win! Wow.

All tomorrow's parties.
06-01-2014 11:09 PM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH
(06-01-2014 11:09 PM)ausowl Wrote:  So both UH and aTm win! Wow.

All tomorrow's parties.

I am glad I made the trip to Baton Rouge, but I am still pissed that this team had to go on the road for the regionals. UH has basically been the road team for 3 out of 4 games because SELA is 45 minutes from Tiger stadium. I am confident UH has the pitching advantage Monday night, but geez the bats are always so hit or miss. This has been a really fun regional at the Box. Hopefully the positive performance by the Cougars carries over in the committee's eyes going forward so we aren't screwed out of home field in future seasons.
06-02-2014 12:25 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(06-02-2014 12:25 AM)Mademen Wrote:  

All tomorrow's parties.

I am glad I made the trip to Baton Rouge, but I am still pissed that this team had to go on the road for the regionals. UH has basically been the road team for 3 out of 4 games because SELA is 45 minutes from Tiger stadium. I am confident UH has the pitching advantage Monday night, but geez the bats are always so hit or miss. This has been a really fun regional at the Box. Hopefully the positive performance by the Cougars carries over in the committee's eyes going forward so we aren't screwed out of home field in future seasons.

I don't hate on UH, but I don't usually root for them either. I'll make an exception in this case. Beat LSU !
06-02-2014 07:44 AM
Advertisement

grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
(06-02-2014 12:25 AM)Mademen Wrote:  Hopefully the positive performance by the Cougars carries over in the committee's eyes going forward so we aren't screwed out of home field in future seasons.

UH is making quite a run and I hope it continues. I wouldn't trust in the institutional memory of the selection committee however -- unless you next switch to the SEC.
06-02-2014 07:49 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(06-02-2014 07:49 AM)grol Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 12:25 AM)Mademen Wrote:  Hopefully the positive performance by the Cougars carries over in the committee's eyes going forward so we aren't screwed out of home field in future seasons.

UH is making quite a run and I hope it continues. I wouldn't trust in the institutional memory of the selection committee however -- unless you next switch to the SEC.

Has nothing to do with institutional memory or anything else. The Selection Committee does not and should not consider previous year performance in making national seed and regional host decisions. Never have and, hopefully, never will. You earn it based on current year performance during the regular season and conference touranments....as it should be. UH was certainly deserving of a host birth this year, but their distant 3rd place regular season finish in the #7th ranked (by RPI) conference (4 1/2 games back) gave the Committee just enough ammo to avoid two regionals in the same city and five in the same Southwest region (along with Rice, Oklahoma State, ULL and LSU).
06-02-2014 07:56 AM
13thOwl Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice University
Baseball GeniusDonatorsFootball Genius
(06-02-2014 12:25 AM)Mademen Wrote:  

All tomorrow's parties.

Good luck to the Coogs.

I am afraid that the committee has no institutional memory...
06-02-2014 09:20 AM
13thOwl Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice University
Baseball GeniusDonatorsFootball Genius
(06-02-2014 07:49 AM)grol Wrote:  

Great minds, Grol, great minds...
06-02-2014 09:22 AM
Advertisement

gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
Here's the other thing working against Houston winning a competitive bid situation - seating capacity 3500.

Like it or not, that's going to count against them when bidding to host. Generating enough funds for a bid (short of just paying for it without the revenue to back it) when competing with other sites that can pack in more fans is going to make it tough for them. You can be certain that it is a factor when comparing bids - and this is a bidding process, not just a ranking process.

Could you imagine if Houston had had UT and A&M as the 2 and 3 seeds with that seating arrangement? Not sure how the committee could have done that.

I really don't know any better, but is there an ability to add capacity through temporary seating? Or SRO?

Anyone have a quick way of determining the seating capacity of the weekend's hosts? And what the average crowds were? Maybe there are enough that don't fill to 3500, but that does seem low for a host if you expect a decent draw.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 11:36 AM by gsloth.)
06-02-2014 11:35 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(06-02-2014 11:35 AM)gsloth Wrote:  Here's the other thing working against Houston winning a competitive bid situation - seating capacity 3500.

Like it or not, that's going to count against them when bidding to host. Generating enough funds for a bid (short of just paying for it without the revenue to back it) when competing with other sites that can pack in more fans is going to make it tough for them. You can be certain that it is a factor when comparing bids - and this is a bidding process, not just a ranking process.

Could you imagine if Houston had had UT and A&M as the 2 and 3 seeds with that seating arrangement? Not sure how the committee could have done that.

I really don't know any better, but is there an ability to add capacity through temporary seating? Or SRO?

Anyone have a quick way of determining the seating capacity of the weekend's hosts? And what the average crowds were? Maybe there are enough that don't fill to 3500, but that does seem low for a host if you expect a decent draw.

Back in the 48-team tournament, I think bids mattered, relative to one another. The head of the NCAA Championships Committee (or something like that) was interviewed during one of the games (Rice v. UT?) on ESPN3, and he stated pretty unequivocally that if a seeded school submitted a bid and it met the minimum requirements, they would host at both the regional and SR rounds. He indicated that those rounds were a push as far as the NCAA was concerned and that it was really the CWS itself where they stood to make money.

I think the Coogs have no-one to blame but themselves, with a middling finish in a slightly better than mediocre conference. If they had that 3rd place finish in prior-years iterations of CUSA - all else being equal - I think they'd have hosted.
06-02-2014 12:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.