Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting observations on this years TV exposure...
Bookmark and Share
GreenSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: Thundering Herd
Interesting observations on this years TV exposure...
* Feels kinda light doesn't it? Especially on the CBS Sports Network end, where just seven conference controlled games were selected. Assuming no contract terms were modified to their television contract, CBSSN didn't even take the ten selections it is allotted between FOX's first ten selections and their second batch.

As it was pointed out to me, CBSSN only took one Saturday intraconference game (Rice at Louisiana Tech on 11/29) and only three of the seven selections were games between two C-USA schools. Not sure how much they really value the conference, especially with the sublicense package they'll have from the American Athletic Conference which has several former C-USA members.

* Another reason the schedule feels kinda light, I assume, is the lack of a regional sublicense partner for CBS Sports Network. CSS, who sublicensed C-USA content from CBSSN, will shut down on Saturday night. They typically aired 10+ football games per year plus men's basketball games. CBSSN may be working with local stations and regional networks from Time Warner, Cox and Comcast, maybe FOX RSNs too, to try to get more C-USA games on television if CBSSN is required to do so.

I took a quick look over NBCSN's availability. They have scheduled MLS telecast windows most Saturdays through late October, plus some English Premier League, Formula 1 and CAA football commitments. They may also have some Ivy League games too.

Otherwise, the C-USA Digital Network will have a lot more exclusive games.

* FOX set six games of its twenty games to air on FOX Sports 1. Last year, FS1 guaranteed that ten conference-controlled games will air on the network. That guarantee was not in the conference's release, but could be found in UTSA's press release. Not sure if UTSA added something on their own or if the stipulation no longer exists.

* FSN is airing the FAU at FIU game on October 4th. I assume this was done because FS1 will be carrying a MLB Division Series game.

* On 10/25, FOX only has three telecast windows across their primary networks. I don't think C-USA will be shown in the 3:30pm ET FOX window. While it is possible for a 9pm local time start (just look at the Texas Tech-UTEP game on 9/13), I don't see them being shown in the late FS1 window. I think North Texas at Rice would air on FSN at 12pm ET.

* The 11/15 North Texas at UTEP game is also unique as FOX could fit it in nearly any available telecast window, though that means possible 10am (FSN) & 8pm (FS1) local time kickoffs, neither of which are ideal. In previous years, UTEP has went for early afternoon kickoff times for November home games. That would lead one to believe that UTEP would prefer the mid afternoon windows currently scheduled for either FSN or FS1.

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2014/...e.html?m=1
05-31-2014 05:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Interesting observations on this years TV exposure...
(05-31-2014 05:41 PM)GreenSteve Wrote:  * Feels kinda light doesn't it? Especially on the CBS Sports Network end, where just seven conference controlled games were selected. Assuming no contract terms were modified to their television contract, CBSSN didn't even take the ten selections it is allotted between FOX's first ten selections and their second batch.

As it was pointed out to me, CBSSN only took one Saturday intraconference game (Rice at Louisiana Tech on 11/29) and only three of the seven selections were games between two C-USA schools. Not sure how much they really value the conference, especially with the sublicense package they'll have from the American Athletic Conference which has several former C-USA members.

* Another reason the schedule feels kinda light, I assume, is the lack of a regional sublicense partner for CBS Sports Network. CSS, who sublicensed C-USA content from CBSSN, will shut down on Saturday night. They typically aired 10+ football games per year plus men's basketball games. CBSSN may be working with local stations and regional networks from Time Warner, Cox and Comcast, maybe FOX RSNs too, to try to get more C-USA games on television if CBSSN is required to do so.

I took a quick look over NBCSN's availability. They have scheduled MLS telecast windows most Saturdays through late October, plus some English Premier League, Formula 1 and CAA football commitments. They may also have some Ivy League games too.

Otherwise, the C-USA Digital Network will have a lot more exclusive games.

* FOX set six games of its twenty games to air on FOX Sports 1. Last year, FS1 guaranteed that ten conference-controlled games will air on the network. That guarantee was not in the conference's release, but could be found in UTSA's press release. Not sure if UTSA added something on their own or if the stipulation no longer exists.

* FSN is airing the FAU at FIU game on October 4th. I assume this was done because FS1 will be carrying a MLB Division Series game.

* On 10/25, FOX only has three telecast windows across their primary networks. I don't think C-USA will be shown in the 3:30pm ET FOX window. While it is possible for a 9pm local time start (just look at the Texas Tech-UTEP game on 9/13), I don't see them being shown in the late FS1 window. I think North Texas at Rice would air on FSN at 12pm ET.

* The 11/15 North Texas at UTEP game is also unique as FOX could fit it in nearly any available telecast window, though that means possible 10am (FSN) & 8pm (FS1) local time kickoffs, neither of which are ideal. In previous years, UTEP has went for early afternoon kickoff times for November home games. That would lead one to believe that UTEP would prefer the mid afternoon windows currently scheduled for either FSN or FS1.

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2014/...e.html?m=1

I'm interested in who CBS sub licenses the games out to as well. You'd think the contract states we must have X amount of games on tv. If they don't pick them up they have to find a network to air the games for them or they'd be in breach of contract.
06-03-2014 08:20 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
With as many damn TV stations that are out there now, you'd think about ALL of our conference games would be televised.

What about FS2 ?
06-03-2014 09:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
When does current deal end??
06-03-2014 09:41 PM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

The current deal runs through the '15-'16 season. I'd imagine a new deal will be worked out after this season.
06-03-2014 09:47 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
(06-03-2014 09:33 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  With as many damn TV stations that are out there now, you'd think about ALL of our conference games would be televised.

What about FS2 ?

Fox hasn't seemed very inclined to put tons of live programming on FS2. The basketball games over there had laughable ratings.
06-03-2014 10:02 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(06-03-2014 10:02 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 09:33 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  With as many damn TV stations that are out there now, you'd think about ALL of our conference games would be televised.

What about FS2 ?

Fox hasn't seemed very inclined to put tons of live programming on FS2. The basketball games over there had laughable ratings.

Seems like they would do better with live programming that they would do with UFC reruns. Its not like they have to spend any extra money on the rights---they already own the inventory. May as well plug them into empty slots on FS-2 and run UFC-reruns at other times. Running live games would serve 2 purposes. One, it might get viewer that never visit FS-2 to turn the network on. Two--it would cause viewers who have no access to FS-2 to demand the network from their cable providers, thus increasing its subscriber/carriage rates.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2014 12:44 AM by Attackcoog.)
06-04-2014 12:41 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(06-03-2014 09:47 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  The current deal runs through the '15-'16 season. I'd imagine a new deal will be worked out after this season.

Thanks, I was thinking it came up pretty soon. It will be interesting to see how it goes when time comes to renew. I wonder if CUSA like the AAC will have to take a hit short term. You likely are helped by the fact you had 2 years or so to ride out all the membership changes, rather than being like the AAC was last year, being at the worst possible place to do a deal.
06-04-2014 05:56 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

(06-04-2014 05:56 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 09:47 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  The current deal runs through the '15-'16 season. I'd imagine a new deal will be worked out after this season.

Thanks, I was thinking it came up pretty soon. It will be interesting to see how it goes when time comes to renew. I wonder if CUSA like the AAC will have to take a hit short term. You likely are helped by the fact you had 2 years or so to ride out all the membership changes, rather than being like the AAC was last year, being at the worst possible place to do a deal.

I wouldn't mind taking a bit of a financial hit if it gives us more exposure like the AAC was able to do. It's not like the tv money is going into my bank account. I just want to watch my team and conference play.
06-04-2014 06:53 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU

What about FS2 ?

Yep that is what frustrates me, Fox comes up with a new channel like FS2 and they promote it like its going to be a ESPN 2 type version......Yet all they show is rerun UCF fighting on a loop all day and night....I rarely see anything live on that channel besides random Big East sports every once in awhile...Waste of time if they are not going to show anything live.....I would rather have some of our games on this channel than Fox Sports Regional because with Direct TV FS2 was included in the package and I would guess FS2 is easily more available than Fox Sports Southwest or FCS.....Those Fox Sports Regional Channels are usually added on at an extra cost or at least they are with Direct TV....
06-04-2014 07:40 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

Yeah FS2 is definitely a head scratcher for sure. They could do 3 games on FS1, 3 games on FS2, and 1 or 2 games on FOX OTA every Saturday.
06-04-2014 09:51 AM
Advertisement

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(06-03-2014 08:20 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  I'm interested in who CBS sub licenses the games out to as well. You'd think the contract states we must have X amount of games on tv. If they don't pick them up they have to find a network to air the games for them or they'd be in breach of contract.

I thought I read that the C-USA / CBSSN contract has a maximum number of games and an option to sub-license, but NO "minimum" number of games.

If true, CBSSN could decide to broadcast zero C-USA games as long as they pay the required dollar amount.

The Big Sky has a similar arrangement with Root Sports and Root isn't picking up Big Sky games, just paying the fee.

Terrible oversight in contract.
06-04-2014 09:52 AM
Migser31 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA
With Direct TV you will usually get your regional Fox Sports Net channel as part of your standard channel line-up (Fox Sports SW for me). If you want ALL of the Fox Sports regional channels than you need to buy the Sports Package ($12) which includes all of the other channels as well which I believe even includes the Longhorn Network this year. I usually call and add the Sports Package in August and call back and cancel it in January. Other than college football I have no need for the additional channels.
06-04-2014 09:55 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

(06-04-2014 09:52 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 08:20 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  I'm interested in who CBS sub licenses the games out to as well. You'd think the contract states we must have X amount of games on tv. If they don't pick them up they have to find a network to air the games for them or they'd be in breach of contract.

I thought I read that the C-USA / CBSSN contract has a maximum number of games and an option to sub-license, but NO "minimum" number of games.

If true, CBSSN could decide to broadcast zero C-USA games as long as they pay the required dollar amount.

The Big Sky has a similar arrangement with Root Sports and Root isn't picking up Big Sky games, just paying the fee.

If that is indeed the case, you're right, that is an awful oversight. I just can't imagine an FBS conference would miss that. But Britton is our commissioner so.......
06-04-2014 09:57 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
(06-04-2014 09:55 AM)Migser31 Wrote:  With Direct TV you will usually get your regional Fox Sports Net channel as part of your standard channel line-up (Fox Sports SW for me). If you want ALL of the Fox Sports regional channels than you need to buy the Sports Package ($12) which includes all of the other channels as well which I believe even includes the Longhorn Network this year. I usually call and add the Sports Package in August and call back and cancel it in January. Other than college football I have no need for the additional channels.

Yep same here...Only Fox Regional Channel I get is the crappy Reds Fox Channel (FOX Ohio) and that is it.....I would do the same unless basketball will be shown through March....
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2014 10:09 AM by WKUFan518.)
06-04-2014 10:08 AM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
(06-04-2014 09:57 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  

If that is indeed the case, you're right, that is an awful oversight. I just can't imagine an FBS conference would miss that. But Britton is our commissioner so.......
He negotiated a "No USM" clause with the Liberty Bowl. This is nothing in comparison.
06-04-2014 11:24 AM
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course

Actually Root Sports has 3 networks, or channels, Northwest, Pittsburgh and Rocky Mountain. The Root Rocky Mountain announced an 11 game slate for the Big Sky recently, so they are covering that conference. They will also televise about 10 MWC games this season but haven't picked them yet.

Fox Sports in obligated to televise at least 20 C-USA games over their various outlets. They have picked 31 so far this year and they picked a total of 30 last year. A gain of 1.

CBSsn has only picked 7 C-USA controlled games so far with 2 more games for C-USA teams on CBSsn thru the Army and Navy contracts. We had 12 C-USA controlled games on CBSsn last season, a loss of 5 unless some are added in the coming months. Can't seem to find how many they are obligated to carry.

The following is from the Sports Business Journal as of May, 2013. It shows the Fox contract worth about $7 million more than the CBS contract.

CONFERENCE USA

$42 million/5 years 2011-12 through 2015-16 Fox

$35 million/5-$37.5 million/5 years 2011-12 through 2015-16 CBS Sports Network

$22 million/5 years 2011-2015** ESPN

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journ...twork.aspx
06-04-2014 01:15 PM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
(06-04-2014 01:15 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  The following is from the Sports Business Journal as of May, 2013. It shows the Fox contract worth about $7 million more than the CBS contract.

CONFERENCE USA

So basically our schools in CUSA have a fraction of the coverage and make peanuts too! These tv threads on our contract are just making the American's deal look better and better for those that left us and joined the former Big East.
06-04-2014 01:32 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
I have a feeling that the next TV deal will be better in both exposure and payout. There are a couple of networks that desperately need live college football content (FOX and NBC Sports). We should leave ESPN completely behind. They don't care at all about us.
06-04-2014 01:35 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(06-04-2014 01:32 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  
(06-04-2014 01:15 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  The following is from the Sports Business Journal as of May, 2013. It shows the Fox contract worth about $7 million more than the CBS contract.

CONFERENCE USA

So basically our schools in CUSA have a fraction of the coverage and make peanuts too! These tv threads on our contract are just making the American's deal look better and better for those that left us and joined the former Big East.

As of right now, C-USA deals are worth about $1.4 million per school. The MWC deal is worth about $1.38 million per school and the American at about $1.6 million per school counting Navy as number 12 starting in 2015. Coverage is better for both the MWC and the American, yes, but so far C-USA coverage is holding it's own or pretty close to it.
06-04-2014 01:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.